RSD 2017

For new sounds, old sounds and favourite sound discussion...

Moderators: sunny, BzaInSpace, runcible, spzretent

spzretent
Site Admin

RSD 2017

Post by spzretent »

I know! I know!
However there are some cool releases.

Luna – Penthouse (Deluxe Edition) [2LP] (180 Gram, remastered, Also includes unreleased tracks, rare B-sides, demos, plus many songs first time in vinyl, limited to 3500, indie-retail exclusive)

Link Wray – Be What You Want To [LP] (limited to 2500, indie-retail exclusive)

Link Wray – Beans And Fatback [LP] (limited to 2500, indie-retail exclusive)

Pretty Things, The – The French EP’s 1964-69 [5×7”] (limited to 200, indie-retail exclusive)

Peter Tosh – Legalize It [LP] (Pot Scented Red/Yellow/Green-Striped Colored Remastered Vinyl, limited/numbered to 2500, indie-exclusive)
http://www.lilmoxie.com
Detroit, Music, Sports and Other Stuff(including Spiritualized, Spacemen 3)
angelsighs
Known user

Re: RSD 2017

Post by angelsighs »

cast my eye over it. nothing I'd really be frothing at the mouth over. have the properly exclusive releases dropped off in recent years?

There is The Heads Relaxing With..

and the Loop Peel Sessions LP
MODLAB
Site Admin

Post by MODLAB »

Asobe Seksu – Citrus

a couple of re-issues.

Pretty much it for me.

M
Design.
olan
Known user

Post by olan »

Meh to the whole RSD thing in general and to the Space Age reissues in particular. If it says Orbit on the catalogue number :x and we've not been told by Sonic and/or Jason that the royalties issue has been resolved, then the proper thing to do is not put money in Gerald Palmer's pocket.

:roll:
niamhm
Known user

Post by niamhm »

Hopefully that list isn`t definitive, the Follakzoid and Goat single, maybe the Flaming Lips item although not impressed by their RSD release last yr one bit,
Too much pointless classic rock, how many ways can you slice, dice and repackage the Pistols slim catalogue ffs,
Shinesalight
Known user

Post by Shinesalight »

The days of me queuing outside the record shop on RSD have well and truly passed. People start queuing the previous evening at Resident Records in Brighton and thats really not for me, though I do still try and pop in the following day and see if there's anything left that I'm interested in. Theres a couple of records I'm interested in on this year's list but I certainly won't lose any sleep if I don't get hold of them. They are:-

The Black Angels - Death Song LP (glow in the dark!)
Drive-by Truckers - Live In the Studio LP
Follakzoid ft. J Spaceman - London Sessions 12" 8)
Midlake - Bamnan & Silvercork LP (debut album never released on vinyl before)
www.dronerockrecords.com
The Home of Drone
simonkeeping
Known user

Post by simonkeeping »

spzretent wrote: Link Wray – Be What You Want To [LP] (limited to 2500, indie-retail exclusive)

Link Wray – Beans And Fatback [LP] (limited to 2500, indie-retail exclusive)

Pretty Things, The – The French EP’s 1964-69 [5×7”] (limited to 200, indie-retail exclusive)
Nice, I wonder if the Link Wray LP's will be remastered? I love both of those Link Wray albums but always thought (if I'm being ultra picky) that 'Be What you want' lacked a bit of oomph in the mastering? Regardless, I'll be putting those on the list.
http://www.soundcloud.com/haarlemriots
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

Odd that they chose those Link Wray Lps. Why not the 1971 S/T?
Beans was never released over here and it will nice to have a new copy.
I am kind of surprised no one has mentioned the Luna Penthouse 2x LP.
I know they have reissued quite a bit in the past year and a half but that looks good.

I have never lined up for anything for RSD. Because I am a weekly shopper at one of the great shops around here they take lists from a few of the regulars. As long as you aren't going after all the obvious ebay flipper items. However I do enjoy the buzz in the shops that day. If it is shot in the arm for them I am all for it.
Shinesalight
Known user

Post by Shinesalight »

Just seen the RSD prices.... £37 for the Black Angels!!! £26 for the Midlake!!! £24 for the Follakzoid/J Spaceman!!! :shock:

I was going to try and bit more positive about the whole thing this year but this is just ridiculous. :twisted:
www.dronerockrecords.com
The Home of Drone
olan
Known user

Post by olan »

Shinesalight wrote:Just seen the RSD prices.... £37 for the Black Angels!!! £26 for the Midlake!!! £24 for the Follakzoid/J Spaceman!!! :shock:

I was going to try and bit more positive about the whole thing this year but this is just ridiculous. :twisted:
I have seen up to £40 for Black Angels. I want
Black Angels: £40
BJM:£28
Cosmic Dead: £24
Follakzoid/J Spaceman: £24

So that is £116 for 4 records. Fucking hell!

:cry:
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

If any UK forum members want the Sacred Bones black Follakzoid/J.Spaceman 12" find out who exactly who wants it and place one order thru Scared Bones to my address. They will be more like 15 to 16 quid then split postage to UK however many ways. It will work out to be way easier and cheaper than the UK RSD way.
Just an idea. I have a pile here for Runcible. I do the say with UK items. I can email the d/l codes too.
davedecay
Known user

Post by davedecay »

I recently bought Beans And Fatback (Germany press) for $30 shipped, which is more than I usually pay for a single LP, but compared to how high they are at the moment... I'm happy with it. And it's one thing I don't have to worry about getting on RSD.
sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

olan wrote: I have seen up to £40 for Black Angels. I want
Black Angels: £40
BJM:£28
Cosmic Dead: £24
Follakzoid/J Spaceman: £24

So that is £116 for 4 records. Fucking hell!

:cry:
No interest in the two Cope records (DOPE and Drunken Songs)? Or do you expect them to turn up on his site at a far more reasonable price?
I'd like the Black Angels and Follakzoid but i'm not paying those prices.
Nineteen...Nineteen...Six Five
olan
Known user

Post by olan »

sunray wrote:
No interest in the two Cope records (DOPE and Drunken Songs)? Or do you expect them to turn up on his site at a far more reasonable price?
I'd like the Black Angels and Follakzoid but i'm not paying those prices.
I bought Drunken Songs on CD at the recent gig in Liverpool. It is really just a couple of new tunes and a bunch of re-recordings so that is one less to worry about. I hadn't noticed DOPE so I'll have to chase it down at some stage. To be honest, there are about 5 or 6 of his LPs since 2000 that I haven't bought that I'm more likely to chase down. You can't have everything, but you can have a damn good try at getting most of it :wink: .
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

flaming nora! why so expensive?

despite the fact I am due to soon be entering the world of vinyl, don't think I'm also gonna jettison the joy of buying a whole batch of CDs at a cheap as chips price!

I honestly don't see the appeal of paying premium money just because the vinyl is a different colour? (famous last words)
olan
Known user

Post by olan »

I am told that the Cosmic Dead record has been pulled from RSD and will get a general release in May instead.
Laz69
Known user

Post by Laz69 »

olan wrote:I am told that the Cosmic Dead record has been pulled from RSD and will get a general release in May instead.
Thank fuck! Its just getting ridiculous just now with releases. At least May is my birthday month and i'll treat myself to that. Its being put out on Monorail's label. Should be able to pick up a copy from the store quite easily i'd imagine since its not part of RidiculouslyStupidDay.
niamhm
Known user

Post by niamhm »

My local record shop just put up his list of RSD stock for this yr, no Black Angel or Follakzoid, but he does have BJM and the Goat 7" I want also Neil Young`s Decades album, always loved this album but only had it on cd before, wonder how much he`ll be looking for for it? I have a feeling he marks his RSD stock up a bit to cover his outlay slightly, can`t blame him for that also see his stocking the 3 Spacemen albums.
Last edited by niamhm on Sat Apr 22, 2017 12:37 pm, edited 2 times in total.
burningwheel
Known user

Post by burningwheel »

Can some kind soul in the UK pick me up Loop wolf flow 2xlp. The transparent blue into black variant that is ltd to 350 copies
[url=http://www.loveisforever.org]Primal Scream, My Bloody Valentine, Swervedriver, Chapterhouse, The Telescopes, Loop, Verve and more![/url]
davedecay
Known user

Post by davedecay »

burningwheel wrote:Can some kind soul in the UK pick me up Loop wolf flow 2xlp. The transparent blue into black variant that is ltd to 350 copies
Yeah, that DOES look nice!
burningwheel
Known user

Post by burningwheel »

davedecay wrote:
burningwheel wrote:Can some kind soul in the UK pick me up Loop wolf flow 2xlp. The transparent blue into black variant that is ltd to 350 copies
Yeah, that DOES look nice!
I just read it may be random and no way to tell until you open it. Sucks if they did that
[url=http://www.loveisforever.org]Primal Scream, My Bloody Valentine, Swervedriver, Chapterhouse, The Telescopes, Loop, Verve and more![/url]
TheWarmth
Known user

Post by TheWarmth »

niamhm wrote:My local record shop just put up his list of RSD stock for this yr, no Black Angel or Follakzoid, but he does have BJM and the Goat 7" I want also Neil Young`s Decades album, always loved this album but only had it on cd before, wonder how much he`ll be looking for for it? I have a feeling he marks his RSD stock up a bit to cover his outlay slightly, can`t blame him for that also see his stocking the 3 Spacemen albums.
I read a Facebook post by a guy who paid $68 for Decade only to find it at another shop for $38. He returned the overpriced one and the guy at the shop was a jerk about it. So, be careful.
TheWarmth
Known user

Post by TheWarmth »

I got a copy of the Primal Scream remix 12" for $13 today on Discogs. Very pleased. I don't have the time to stand in the lines anymore. Has anyone else heard it yet?
johnnyboy
Known user

Post by johnnyboy »

No queuing or over eagerness from me this year. Wandered down about 10:30am, had the Primal Scream and David Holmes 12's in my hand but ended up putting them back after procrastinating way too much about the prices and what not. The record I really wanted was Kevin Morby "Beautiful Strangers" 7" but the tag was £10.99 so I left that as well. Dropped by my other local store the day after and he had it for £6.99 so I bought it there instead. Lovely couple of tracks. They had a copy of the Follakzoid 12" left but that was £23.99 so left it. I did fancy the Black Angels glow in the dark LP but having just checked it on Discogs and seen nothing but negative comments about it being a noisy press I'm glad I just got the regular black vinyl instead.

Had good fun on the actual day, meeting friends, entertainment in-store, bands and DJ's. That side of it makes it worthwhile for me but the starting price and flipping on ebay thing just makes me consider it a bit of a con.
Greeny
Known user

Post by Greeny »

I happened to be in Brighton on Saturday morning and wandered past the big indie shop there (Resident Records) some time after 10am - massive queue and doing a one in/one out thing. Must have been a lot of local folk who saw more in the release line up than I did! I just walked straight past.

Only things I'm a little interested in are the TheThe new single and the Animal Collective live EP, both of which actually have new music on them (radical departure for RSD these days!) and both of which I suspect will turn up at cost prices or thereabouts in the coming weeks, despite the outrageous prices being commanded by the former on eBay just now...
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

I don't wait in line either. There is a shop locally who will hold things back for you until RSD. They tend to be a little pricier but I am willing to pay that for not having to line up at 4 am.
I picked up the Luna- Penthouse double LP which is absolutely stunning in both packaging and mastering.
Dennis Wilson- Bambu 2x Lp
Link Wray- Bean & Fatback LP
and an LP that was not an RSD release but so glad I picked it up. Gun Club- Miami Music On Vinyl reissue LP.
Not sure why the UK prices are so expensive. It is way more than just shipping and duty.
I saw the Follakzoid/J. Spaceman 12" here for $16. Same with the Primal Scream 12".
My Luna 2x Lp was $33 for a full double. Dennis Wilson was $29 for a full double.
I do enjoy running into old friends and customers on RSD. I think the whole thing is great at least the way some stores here celebrate it.
The day was topped off by seeing Moon Duo here.
shalloboi
Known user

Post by shalloboi »

The only releases I'm looking for are those two Cocteau Twins reissues- they're UK only, so it's a bit of a challenge (especially trying to find shops that will still have some left over for mail order).

The Dusty Groove here in Chicago had them listed in their RSD stock, but when I went in yesterday they said that their shipment was delayed, so hopefully they'll show up here and I'll be able to get them. They're reissues of 'Four Calendar Cafe' and 'Milk & Kisses'- both double LPs that include the EP tracks. The original pressings cost obscene amounts of money for original copies.
olan
Known user

Post by olan »

shalloboi wrote:The only releases I'm looking for are those two Cocteau Twins reissues- they're UK only, so it's a bit of a challenge (especially trying to find shops that will still have some left over for mail order).

The Dusty Groove here in Chicago had them listed in their RSD stock, but when I went in yesterday they said that their shipment was delayed, so hopefully they'll show up here and I'll be able to get them. They're reissues of 'Four Calendar Cafe' and 'Milk & Kisses'- both double LPs that include the EP tracks. The original pressings cost obscene amounts of money for original copies.
Dead Can Dance have sold shedloads of their old 4AD LPs this year via a quite decent reissue programme. I expect the Cocteau Twins will receive a similarly careful programme of reissues in slightly different formats post RSD if the RSD stuff sold well.
mojo filters
Known user

Post by mojo filters »

A quick search shows some well-known UK retailers are selling the RSD Föllakzoid / J.Spaceman 12" vinyl for a whopping £26, which translates to $32 at current exchange rates!

By contrast, one of our venerable moderators has seen it priced far more reasonably at $16 (ie circa £12) in their local record shop, over the proverbial pond.

$16 still seems expensive for a 45rpm 12" record, with only one or two tracks on each side. The age when record companies could afford to subsidise such artistic indulgences - for example Factory losing money on every copy of New Order's popular Blue Monday 12", when originally pressed for retail sale - has long since passed.

Is RSD just an expensive mechanism to enrich vinyl wholesalers and / or retailers? Where are these spendy-happy consumers for the rest of the year?

I've got a feeling this issue has been debated here before. If so, apologies for provoking any repetition...
I'm like Evel Knievel, I get paid for the attempt. I didn't promise this shit would be good!
Dave Chappelle
a beautiful shonn
Known user

Post by a beautiful shonn »

I agree about some of the pricing. I paid $25 for Link Wray - Beans & Fatback LP.

the way i see it is i will never find an original copy of this album, and definitely not for that price. so it's worth it in this case. but yeah, $16 for a new 7" is a bit steep.
davedecay
Known user

Post by davedecay »

I was happy to pay $26 for the Roky Erickson tribute double LP.

If I hadn't purchased Beans and Fatback for about $30 two months ago, I would have picked up the reissue.
shalloboi
Known user

Post by shalloboi »

olan wrote:
shalloboi wrote:The only releases I'm looking for are those two Cocteau Twins reissues- they're UK only, so it's a bit of a challenge (especially trying to find shops that will still have some left over for mail order).

Dead Can Dance have sold shedloads of their old 4AD LPs this year via a quite decent reissue programme. I expect the Cocteau Twins will receive a similarly careful programme of reissues in slightly different formats post RSD if the RSD stuff sold well.
All the 4AD stuff has been reissued beautifully. 'Four Calendar Cafe' and 'Milk & Kisses' are the only two that they released post-4AD on Fontana.
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

This has been my first year as a vinyl purchaser and I was luckily enough to go to the store late in the day and get the only thing I was really interested in (Follakzoid/Spaceman- the price is a bit much for a 12" but it's nice to have). I also purchased some other normal vinyl while I was there, which I guess is half the point too.

It should be about those special releases with music you can't get elsewhere, but those kind of releases really seem to have dropped off. Why people would queue up for hours for a record that's simply a different colour I don't know, but each to their own I guess.

There definitely seems to have been a bit of a backlash against the whole thing, and I can see why. But it doesn't have to be so black and white. You can like certain aspects of RSD while disliking other aspects.
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

The backlash here in the US is all about the ebay flippers. You cant stop that really. Just limit people to one copy per release which most shops here do.
In the UK however the prices on some records seem really high. Conversely some of the UK records here are pricey. But nothing like the markup on the Follakzoid/J. Spaceman 12" mentioned in another thread. For instance the Julian Cope LP is $30 here. I believe the Spacemen 3 LPs were $32 here. Loop Wolf Flow was $30.
I think RSD is great if for nothing more than the folks who work and own shops are beaming after it. It is like Christmas in April for them and we all know record shops can always use a shot in the arm. I also like the camaraderie of other collectors. I always know I will see certain folks on that day. Plus here there were loads of bands, food trucks, and all sorts of other promotions.