NME's 50 Darkest

For new sounds, old sounds and favourite sound discussion...

Moderators: sunny, BzaInSpace, runcible, spzretent

Ian
Known user

NME's 50 Darkest

Post by Ian »

A list from the NME of their top dark albums - Darkest Albums Ever: 50 Of The Best.

I wanted to consolidate Runcible's return by noting the surprise entry for our man Jason right near to the top of this list, held off the summit by the only worthy contenders.

[Great to have you back, R]
I have a passion sweet Lord...
http://www.spacemen3.co.uk
mc
Known user

Re: NME's 50 Darkest

Post by mc »

Ha! I have 21 of those, and "The Holy Bible" is certainly the bleakest, darkest, most painfully harrowing of the bunch. I must like it dark ;)

LICD is a surprising no.2, I must admit. I find it quite cheerful and redemptive in places :) To me, LAGWAFIS is a far more obviously depressing work. Pure Phase isn't depressing, but it I sense a hazy, self-defeating, helplessly resigned theme/mood to the lyrics - the "everything's going wrong" album before the "aftermath of the disaster" album, if you will...
olan
Known user

Post by olan »

Ian wrote:A list from the NME of their top dark albums - Darkest Albums Ever: 50 Of The Best.

I wanted to consolidate Runcible's return by noting the surprise entry for our man Jason right near to the top of this list, held off the summit by the only worthy contenders.

[Great to have you back, R]
Any list containing Coldplay and Manic Street Preachers that isn't entitled 50 LPs to avoid is bollocks. :D
mc
Known user

Post by mc »

Ouch! :) Me, I love the Manics. Always have, always will. Totally understand why folk hate them though, and they've certainly churned out some stinkers in their time. Nevertheless, THB will probably always been in my all-time top 10, and for that one album if nothing else, I reckon they'll warrant a passing mention in musical history fifty years from now...
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

No Eels on there? Missing a trick I reckon with that alone.
clewsr
Known user

Post by clewsr »

I read an interview with the Manics when their first album was coming out. They swore blind they were going to release one album and then split up.

I could never forgive them for carrying on with their fucking awful attempt at music.
Laz69
Known user

Post by Laz69 »

If the NME are involved, it will be a a crock of shit...
Greeny
Known user

Post by Greeny »

There is only one album that needs to be on this list. It's in a class of its own.

Shame, Humility, Revenge by Skin:

https://vimeo.com/69471670

And if you don't believe me fast forward to track 9...
olan
Known user

Post by olan »

Laz69 wrote:If the NME are involved, it will be a a crock of shit...
This. Very much this.
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

taking the mickey out of an NME list is like shooting fish in a barrel.

say what you like about them (and I do!)... but once upon a time the NME was a great read and a key part of indie culture. now the print version is a flimsy youth lifestyle rag with hardly any music in it.. and the website is just full of lists, clickbait and what Liam Gallagher had for breakfast. sad!