The Beatles Sergeant Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band 50th

For new sounds, old sounds and favourite sound discussion...

Moderators: sunny, BzaInSpace, runcible, spzretent

angelsighs
Known user

Re: The Beatles Sergeant Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band 50

Post by angelsighs »

Thanks will watch this later.
If anything I think Sgt Peppers may be a little underrated these days as the consensus has shifted and lots of people say that the songs themselves aren't that great (great production not withstanding). Although it's not my favourite Beatles album (and I am also thus far not tempted to shell out for this reissue) I would argue with that point of view!
TheWarmth
Known user

Post by TheWarmth »

I plan to buy this sooner than later. Pepper is a masterpiece. A lot of my friends have been raving about the new vinyl version.
niamhm
Known user

Post by niamhm »

Had a few listens to this now, only heard the 1980`s cd version before, this blows it way out of the water I think, its never been my fav Beatles album but the hairs on the back of my neck were stood up a good few times, even tracks I`m not too keen on SOUNDED noticeably better, might need to actually shell out for this now. Not actually made it through the extras yet so can`t comment on that aspect though.
heisenberg
Known user

Post by heisenberg »

niamhm wrote:Had a few listens to this now, only heard the 1980`s cd version before, this blows it way out of the water I think, its never been my fav Beatles album but the hairs on the back of my neck were stood up a good few times, even tracks I`m not too keen on SOUNDED noticeably better, might need to actually shell out for this now. Not actually made it through the extras yet so can`t comment on that aspect though.
Is this new mix that much different to the stereo version that was released in 2009? I'm not that crazy about this album, but I'm curious to hear the differences. I bought the vinyl mono box a few years back and still think this album sounds at its best in mono. Perhaps just years of hearing it as a child on my mum's turntable that way? The 80s CDs were really badly mixed though, weren't they? I've got the 80s Sgt. Pepper and it just feels really lightweight.

If only they'd given Revolver this kind of reissue.
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

as I said above this isn't my favourite Beatles album (that probably goes to Abbey Road) but after watching that documentary, it's shown me it in a new light. the modulation on Lucy In The Sky With Diamonds. the Indian scales on Within You Without You. and the production and basslines are fantastic.
A Day In The Life is still a mind boggling masterpiece. it's trippy but kind of eerie and still somehow grounded in real life. it has a weird effect on me, that song. and anyone that says Ringo is a shit drummer needs to listen to his fills on there.

I'll concede that there are a couple of naff songs on there (Good Morning, Good Morning and Fixing a Hole do nothing for me)

Heisenberg- I wouldn't rule out Revolver being next. I assume they started with the bands most iconic album to test the waters.
niamhm
Known user

Post by niamhm »

I haven`t heard the 2009 stereo mix or the original mono version, so can`t really say, all I can say is its a vast improvement on the the 80`s cd version we have in the house which is pretty flat/thin sounding like a lot of cd`s from around that time,
davedecay
Known user

Post by davedecay »

Even the original stereo mix from the day it was released was a half-arsed affair.
Glad this was done.
coffeepotman
Known user

Post by coffeepotman »

It is totally worth the hype! Now if they would give Revolver and Rubber Soul the same treatment.
niamhm
Known user

Post by niamhm »

Just finished watching the BBC documentary, tremendous stuff, Howard Goodall really getting into the guts of it, miles better than your usual BBC4 musical efforts, you come away feeling like you`ve learned something about a subject you felt you knew all about already, very refreshing.