Spiritualized Ladies And Gentlemen 20th Anniversary ...

For new sounds, old sounds and favourite sound discussion...

Moderators: sunny, BzaInSpace, runcible, spzretent

jack white
Known user

Re: Spiritualized Ladies And Gentlemen 20th Anniversary ...

Post by jack white »

Wow I'd never seen, nor maybe even knew about, that Totp Think I'm in love performance.
That is surreal.

Happy birthday to LAGWAFIS. Going to have a listening party & a bit of fun next Friday to celebrate! Which probably means I'll be listening to it by myself in a darkened room, thru headphones (the best way to listen to it). Looking forward to it!
gonna burn brightly
for a while
jack white
Known user

Post by jack white »

Don't let the world lay heavy on your soul.
gonna burn brightly
for a while
TheWarmth
Known user

Post by TheWarmth »

Are you counting down to a potential surprise-release new Spiritualized album or just the anniversary of L&G?
davedecay
Known user

Post by davedecay »

Happy Anniversary!

Now I've come to realize my CD was lent out and never returned... and I would love to have a UK vinyl press if anyone over there finds a reasonbly priced copy in the shops or has an extra for a fellow fan(atic).

Cheers!
MODLAB
Site Admin

Post by MODLAB »

Dave — i've seen re-issues all over the place. I'm sure you can find one.

M
Design.
mojo filters
Known user

Post by mojo filters »

I've just listened to the bonus discs for the first time since they came out. Couldn't get right through either, had forgotten how dull they are even for the committed fan.

Such a contrast to Blue on Blue and Friendly Fire. Rather ironic the band had nothing to do with those, as I'd happily pay normal prices for an official release. They sound so polished - like professional recordings, whereas the quality of many tracks on the LAGWAFIS two discs is pretty awful in many places.

I think the best birthday present Jason could give LAGWAFIS is to release some new music, then go out and play it! Hopefully he's had enough of servicing the catering industry with live nostalgia trips...
I'm like Evel Knievel, I get paid for the attempt. I didn't promise this shit would be good!
Dave Chappelle
stegraham
Known user

Post by stegraham »

Where did those 20 years go to? :shock:
mojo filters
Known user

Post by mojo filters »

stegraham wrote:Where did those 20 years go to? :shock:
Yeah, it's kinda frightening to think about that.

It seems like I managed to fit more memorable things into the few years between being a teenager and this record coming out, than I have during the last 20 that's passed far too fast!
I'm like Evel Knievel, I get paid for the attempt. I didn't promise this shit would be good!
Dave Chappelle
sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

mojo filters wrote:I've just listened to the bonus discs for the first time since they came out. Couldn't get right through either, had forgotten how dull they are even for the committed fan.
I've still never listened to the second bonus disc :roll:

I'll be honest here and admit that I only ever tend to listen to the album from Come Together through to The Individual.

The title track and the last four songs don't really do anything for me. I'll occasionally listen to Cop Shoot Cop but it's rare that I do.
Nineteen...Nineteen...Six Five
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

well just to add some balance, I love all of Ladies and Gentlemen and think it works amazingly as a listen all the way through.

the bonus discs? okay they don't really work that well as a regular listen but I still think they are great. Jason put a lot of work into making it all flow. you have to listen to them late at night in my experience :)
jack white
Known user

Post by jack white »

If this is heaven well y'know that I'm not happy here..
gonna burn brightly
for a while
jack white
Known user

Post by jack white »

sunray wrote:
mojo filters wrote:I've just listened to the bonus discs for the first time since they came out. Couldn't get right through either, had forgotten how dull they are even for the committed fan.

I'll be honest here and admit that I only ever tend to listen to the album from Come Together through to The Individual.

The title track and the last four songs don't really do anything for me. I'll occasionally listen to Cop Shoot Cop but it's rare that I do.
I'd tend to think most of us actually don't listen to spz that regularly anymore..?? But I'm curious given your views as to what you make of the rest of the catalogue??
For me, when I set aside the time or the mood strikes me, it feels like I'm going home. It just fits, all of it to various degrees. My soul has been spiritualized forever more!
gonna burn brightly
for a while
sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

jack white wrote:
sunray wrote:

I'd tend to think most of us actually don't listen to spz that regularly anymore..?? But I'm curious given your views as to what you make of the rest of the catalogue??
I'm very much an early era fan. I even found Pure Phase disappointing at release as I was already so familiar with virtually the whole album. Good album but I only listen to it once in a blue moon.

I'd agree with a mate of mine that reckons there's one great album to be compiled out of the last four.
Although, in saying that, I do think Sweet Heart Sweet Light is the best Spiritualized album since Ladies and Gents, as were the corresponding gigs.
Nineteen...Nineteen...Six Five
davedecay
Known user

Post by davedecay »

MODLAB wrote:Dave — i've seen re-issues all over the place. I'm sure you can find one.

M
2012 re- would be fine.
https://www.discogs.com/Spiritualized-L ... se/3974041

originals are like $160+, not gonna happen.
olan
Known user

Post by olan »

davedecay wrote:
MODLAB wrote:Dave — i've seen re-issues all over the place. I'm sure you can find one.

M
2012 re- would be fine.
https://www.discogs.com/Spiritualized-L ... se/3974041

originals are like $160+, not gonna happen.
I suggest that you be very careful with paying for the original pressing. I've had about 5 or 6 and they all skip. I had real troubles with this when the LP was first released as I kept returning copies. The reissue on Plain is very, very good though.
davedecay
Known user

Post by davedecay »

Thanks very much for the advice. I did spin my Plain reissue on the anniversary and it sounded OK.
niamhm
Known user

Post by niamhm »

Interesting article here running the retrospective rule over Lazer Guided Melodies and Ladies And Gentlemen on todays The Quietus http://thequietus.com/articles/22638-sp ... nniversary
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

jack white wrote:
For me, when I set aside the time or the mood strikes me, it feels like I'm going home. It just fits, all of it to various degrees. My soul has been spiritualized forever more!
I still listen to Spiritualized regularly, but more often than not it's from my archive of live recordings rather than the studio albums. that's more a reflection of the limited number of studio outings, rather than anything to do with quality.

my thoughts on the studio albums have changed over time..

I think I might prefer Pure Phase over Lazer Guided right now. there's something a little bit darker and more minimalist about it.

Ladies and Gentlemen is still a masterpiece, I had it on again it the car today and it just confirmed it for me.

I used to rate Songs in A&E a lot, but much less so these days. there are some superb songs on there for sure but overall its so bitty and underdeveloped. SHSL is better overall but has is lacking in the production department.