Echo & The Bunnymen

For new sounds, old sounds and favourite sound discussion...

Moderators: sunny, BzaInSpace, runcible, spzretent

spzretent
Site Admin

Echo & The Bunnymen

Post by spzretent »

Every 5 or so years my appreciation for this band bubbles to the surface enough to post.
Friday a really nice LP was released on the Run Out Groove series label of Echo & The Bunnymen Live in 1985. It is those covers from the Scandinavian tour plus some of their own tracks. The packaging is superb.
So I dusted off my Crystal Days 4 Cd box and put it in. Discs 1, 2 and 4 anyway. I never got into anything past the 1987 S/T "Grey" record.
I had always written Crocodiles off as a bit too Doorsy. It sounded fresh and fantastic as did the other LPs but the alternate versions and b sides really opened my eyes this trip thru the box set. The Subject & Fuel wow.
Not sure why they don't get more love really as most folks I know adore them.
Here is the info on this LP. The first Run Out Groove release was an MC5 comp. The next one after this Echo Lp is a Stooges Best Of Funhouse Sessions double LP.
http://runoutgroovevinyl.com/it-s-all-live-now-lp.html
http://www.lilmoxie.com
Detroit, Music, Sports and Other Stuff(including Spiritualized, Spacemen 3)
angelsighs
Known user

Re: Echo & The Bunnymen

Post by angelsighs »

I know what you mean. I'd class myself as a fan of the Bunnymen but for some reason my listening of them tends to go in phases. I won't listen to them for ages, but then I'll go through a few weeks when I have them on repeat.

I'm not really a fan of Crocodiles myself, it sounds a bit thin and minimalist and they haven't quite found their feet yet.
I do however think the 'Grey Album' is underrated. some great songs on there and it still just about stands up to the rest of that purple patch.

Ocean Rain is an obvious choice but it really is great- it's like postpunk maturing and blooming into something a bit more dramatic and sweeping. but my overall favourite is probably Heaven Up Here, it's started to get a bit more widescreen but it's still got that angular post punk feel in there. what a wonderfully evocative sleeve too.

I've never really bothered with any of the post reunion albums, but I've heard some tunes here and there and they seem solid enough. Nothing Lasts Forever is not my cup of tea though. it sounds like a transparent grab for the Oasis MOR ballad market.

I've seen them live a few times (post reunion only) and they seem to be either really crap or really excellent.

they seem to have released rather a lot of live albums don't they??
olan
Known user

Post by olan »

I saw the Bunnymen regularly up until about 1987 when I went to an absolute train wreck of a gig at the Royal Albert Hall featuring Blair Cunningham on drums in place of Pete who was ensconced in a commune somewhere. Last time I saw them was 2002 in Melbourne and they were worse.

Pre 1983 the Bunnymen were one of the best acts I've ever seen. The gigs in support of Heaven Up Here and Porcupine were awesome. I had never seen a band put so much effort into simply playing their instruments at a gig. They would literally stumble off at the end of a show in total exhaustion. Their tour in 1983 with the orchestra when they played half of Ocean Rain was great too, but something was missing. From 1983 to 1987 they were played essentially the same set with maybe one or two new songs and I had begun to loose interest before Pete left briefly and then died.

I do love the first three LPs though.
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

My two favorites are Heaven Up Here & Porcupine with a nod to the grey album. Ocean Rain, while it has it's moments, was way too over hyped when it came out. It has aged quite well imho.
I also saw them several times between 1983 and 1987 and always thought they were one of the best live bands of that period.
Pete De Frietas was thee best drummer I have ever seen.
As a rule I do not go for reunion gigs or whatever you would call those post 87 Bunnymen shows. I just decided I didn't want to hear anything past that 5th "Grey" record and they would no doubt be playing songs I didn't care about from the newer records.
I also passed on Ride, Lush, Slowdive, MBV, Mary Chain, Mazzy Star etc. Been there many times the first time around and yes, probably bought the t shirt. Wish I still had those.
olan
Known user

Post by olan »

It was the Bunnymen in Melbourne in that put me off reunion gigs for more than a decade.
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

Their first 4 LP covers were tremendous too.
Up there with the early Verve singles and ASIH.
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

spzretent wrote:Their LP covers were tremendous too.
Up there with the early Verve singles and ASIH.
totally agree on that front. very evocative and distinctive. and they fit in with each other and match up- the message is that "this album is part of a body of work". I like that.

I've mentioned my views on reunion tours elsewhere on the board- I always approach them with an open mind (and try to go in with no expectations). I've actually been pretty lucky on that front. However bear in mind I'm too young to have seen most of these bands in their prime.

believe it or not, reading a big review of the Crystal Days boxset was where I first properly found out about the band. I never did get round to getting that set (it does that weird thing of duplicating a lot of the album tracks while also providing rarities- who is it designed for?- although that disc with all the live songs and covers always looked great). when the expanded reissues came out on CD I treated myself to them one by one from my local music store at the time (Spin a Disc- long gone!)
MODLAB
Site Admin

Post by MODLAB »

Always loved the Bunnymen. I saw them opening two years ago for The Charlatans and it was great.

All of it, the art, the sound, the feeling. Ah... Very nostalgic for me as albums were played with (hint) girlfriends.

M
Design.
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

Just got a text from one of my very first loyal customers at my record shop in the mid 80's.
His name is Kelley Stoltz. He has released several records on Sub Pop.
He was a massive Bunnymen fan. Complete w/Mac haircut, overcoat etc.
He asked if I was going to the show just outside Detroit tomorrow night. I said no. I hadn't seen the Bunnymen since the late 80's.
He asked if I wanted guest list because he is playing rhythm guitar with them on this current US tour.
I told him I wouldn't miss this. It is as close to a proud papa moment as I will ever get. At least thru the lens of my old record shop.
So I am going. Hope it is good.
davedecay
Known user

Post by davedecay »

That's so cool!
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

It was well worth it to go to see Kelley play with his heroes.
As far as his heroes? Mac can't hit any high(or medium high) notes anymore. Will sounded great. Set list was fantastic.
It was a beautiful and warm night in an amphitheater setting out in the woods.
Glad I saw several mid 80's Bunnymen show but the additional rhythm guitar really fleshed out the songs.
None of my friends wanted to go because we had after show passes. They said they would go if we could leave early. Sorry.
I went solo. A proud night for me.
plastic37
Known user

Post by plastic37 »

After a while away from you tube I note that several videos from the summer 1987 dates in Europe are now online. Well worth checking out.
Also worth noting that now I am playing my guitar a lot more and writting songs the grey album has taken on another dimension for me.
I can play most of those songs and doing so brings a new relationship with/ to them.
My version of The Mac Of Love has become a signature. I can't sing it but I can playit and have a unique arrangement of the When your surrounded by ... section. I am rather proud of it. Hope to record it one day.
I wrote a song called "echo in out of the bunny moon" too. I am not proud of my obsession but rather like it and the sonic output s are worthy .... that is to say, it makes me happy.
Heavy Tourism