Funkadelic / Eddie Hazel

For new sounds, old sounds and favourite sound discussion...

Moderators: sunny, BzaInSpace, runcible, spzretent

TheWarmth
Known user

Funkadelic / Eddie Hazel

Post by TheWarmth »

Eddie Hazel is a badass and under-appreciated. I didn't know this until just now, but he co-wrote every song on the '74 album, Standing On The Verge Of Getting It On, which I'm listening to now. Man, so so so great. I love the first three Funkadelic albums, but it's a real treat discovering this one at this very moment. So rad. Check it out.
johnnyboy
Known user

Re: Funkadelic / Eddie Hazel

Post by johnnyboy »

Superb album that one. I love their early Westbound era releases, especially the first three, and the self titled is one of my favourites of all time by any band. I love everything about them. Standing On The Verge....some amazing hard funk/rock on that album, Red Hot Mama, the title track, I'll Stay is a beauty and the Good Thoughts track an epic closer. Yep, dig into that one.
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

is Eddie's Game, Dames and Guitar Thangs solo record worth checking out?
johnnyboy
Known user

Post by johnnyboy »

I had it on CD many years ago but didn't keep hold of it as I didn't rate it like I do those early Funkadelic albums. Might be worth a revisit though.
TheWarmth
Known user

Post by TheWarmth »

angelsighs wrote:is Eddie's Game, Dames and Guitar Thangs solo record worth checking out?
It has its moments, but I think you'd be better of with the first three Funkadelic albums and/or Standing On The Verge. Hazel's version of "California Dreaming" on that solo album is great, though.
simonkeeping
Known user

Post by simonkeeping »

Eddie Hazel is the man. His playing on those early Funkadelic albums is incredible. I think his contribution to the band is criminally under rated. Loved his solo album too, he just had that loose flowing way of playing that was so free and wild but somehow he never seemed to overplay.

'Standing on the verge of getting it on' is wild. I first picked that up after hearing 'Red Hot mama' during a Beta Band DJ set. Then went and got Maggot brain etc etc. Free your mind and your arse will follow - The kingdom of Heaven is within...
http://www.soundcloud.com/haarlemriots
davedecay
Known user

Post by davedecay »

Check out Fuzzy Haskins, too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dBYI9Mq1cBM

Give Up the Fuzz: A Few Words with Clarence Fuzzy Haskins
Short movie 2011
Fuzzy talks about his time with P-Funk and some

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F2cDXY98Kro