New Quietus Interview : August 2, 2017

For new sounds, old sounds and favourite sound discussion...

Moderators: sunny, BzaInSpace, runcible, spzretent

TheWarmth
Known user

New Quietus Interview : August 2, 2017

Post by TheWarmth »

http://thequietus.com/articles/22946-ja ... -interview

“It’s just about there. It seemed for a while it wasn’t going to make sense and now it’s kind of coming together. It feels like it’s not far off. A couple of months and then I’ve got a finished record.”
sunray
Known user

Re: New Quietus Interview : August 2, 2017

Post by sunray »

October 2018 so :wink:

Reading that interview I get the impression we're in for a lot of strings and choirs on the new album.
Nineteen...Nineteen...Six Five
TheWarmth
Known user

Post by TheWarmth »

At least we know that it's nearing completion. I feel like there were a lot of quotes in the article that basically amounted to, "I just want to make it as good as I possibly can." I have a feeling it may not be released until next year if he estimates that he still has a few months of work left to go.
jack white
Known user

Post by jack white »

Silver lining for me is these upcoming gigs sound like great fun.
Even though I'm not going to them.
gonna burn brightly
for a while
good dope/good fun
Known user

Post by good dope/good fun »

Thanks for posting.
Pretty great interview.
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

good to see this, first interview in a while. but doesn't tell us much that's new. usual lines from Jason about putting the time in to make the best album possible. and that the Spacemen 3 reunion is never gonna happen!

these new live shows sound cool though. full orchestration and a career overview. any bets on what rare songs might get played. Spread Your Wings?

I really do feel this next record may be the last Spiritualized record. what else has Jason left to say within the Spz aesthetic?
Laz69
Known user

Post by Laz69 »

Hmmm... he talks about not wanting to cover old ground, but yet we have had several L&G shows...

“Music shows aren’t about presenting the new, they’re about going out and playing all your old songs. In certain cases, people don’t even want to hear the new stuff. I started doing these Ladies And Gentlemen shows as a way of saying, ‘Look, we can do this, and if it doesn’t work, it fails in a nice, glorious way’ – there’s something really beautiful about that as well. As to going over old ground for old ground’s sake, I don’t see any purpose in that. We’re trying to say, look we can do these [anniversary] shows and hopefully somewhere further down the line, we’ll do some around a whole set of new songs as well.”

Why have we never had anything around LGM or PP...? He could revisit any of those and expand them sonically with what he knows now and those shows would sell out in minutes. Missed opportunity methinks...

Sounds like the new album has great potential. I'd hate for it to be an anti-climax for his swansong... :|
TheWarmth
Known user

Post by TheWarmth »

My guess is that no promoter has ever made an offer to J to perform LGM or Pure Phase in the same manner as L&G. The bottom line is that L&G is the most recognized and critically acclaimed Spiritualized album, so it's the most obvious one to do front to back in a live setting.
mojo filters
Known user

Post by mojo filters »

I haven't read the article yet, but was surprised to read this odd speculation around Jason playing other albums live in their entirety (especially Pure Phase) as some kind of Don't Look Back complete album gig that would appeal to fans who have already enjoyed the one album that got this treatment.

For example Pure Phase derives both the title and its sonic character from the highly unusual way in which it was mixed. This has been explained well in interviews, so I'm not going to attempt to provide some second hand watered down version.

The studio techniques which characterise the sound of Pure Phase, are not practical for some kind of attempt to recreate it on the live stage. There is no complement of additional musicians I can envisage, who could supplement the electric band - the way a small choir and orchestral ensemble work effectively in reproducing LAGWAFIS live.

The glorious RAH gig from 2011 similarly used an appropriate collection of additional live musicians, well suited to perform Sweet Heart Sweet Light in its entirety. However the same ensemble would probably not be quite as successful, were they attempting to play Amazing Grace right through, for example.

If I was able to choose, I think of all the Spiritualized albums, the one I'd most like to hear played in its entirety with a larger musical ensemble especially assembled for the event - would be the new album.

That aside, I think Jason should forget about these rather unnatural and contrived approaches to the business of live gigs, and instead just go out and play to his fans using the same approach he used to aquire such a fanbase in the first place!
I'm like Evel Knievel, I get paid for the attempt. I didn't promise this shit would be good!
Dave Chappelle
Hedspace
Known user

Post by Hedspace »

Fake News! :D
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

Surely the fact that Lazer Guided or Pure Phase would sound so different in the live arena is what would make them so interesting to do.
Although conversely I understand why that makes them less likely to be done. With Ladies & Gentlemen you've just got the arrangements right there and just have to get the right instruments in place. Whereas the sound of the first two albums really was cooked up in the studio

Amazing Grace would be a weird one. It would be over before you know it, and it's just not epic enough for this treatment. It's my least favourite of their albums but it does have some great tunes on

Having said all this, if Jason wants to do a week long residency of all the albums, he can take my money right now :)
MODLAB
Site Admin

Post by MODLAB »

Just imagine Feel So Sad Rhapsodies being played. Bliss!

Plenty of strings on PP thanks to the The Balanescu Quartet so I can see certain songs being played.

M
Design.
MODLAB
Site Admin

Post by MODLAB »

Nice!

:)
Design.
moop
Known user

Post by moop »

so from that interview those upcoming festival gigs look to be pretty interesting, and potentially amazing. maybe i missed the point, but from what he said i'm guessing maybe enough time has passed that he wants to revisit some of the 'let it come down' material in a live context? i'd love to hear that, along with some pure phase tracks of course. more variation in the setlist is always a good thing as far as i'm concerned - i remember the RAH 2011 gig very fondly for that reason..

am very excited about the new album, despite the (not unexpected) news that it's gonna take a fair bit longer to finish. from memory, he tends to produce his best stuff when aiming to 'make an electric ladyland', which seems to be exactly what he's going for. i'd much rather he spend a long time on an album and end up with something he's really happy with, especially with this notion of it being the final spiritualized album.
spaceman85
Known user

Post by spaceman85 »

FM Spaceman wrote:
FM Spaceman wrote:Jeffrey Cat Is Imagining ...

xx xx ...

that picture is aces...
Jasonsmith
Known user

Post by Jasonsmith »

Interview in Norwegian before Wednesday's gig

http://www.dagsavisen.no/kultur/jason-o ... -1.1002131
spaceman85
Known user

Post by spaceman85 »

^

its hard not to stare into Kates eyes.
not cool. reminds me of a girl
thats already renting space in my head...
stevie
Known user

Post by stevie »

From what he says there'll be no new songs in the upcoming gigs which begs the question - why is Melbourne billed as a world premiere? I really don't expect to leave the gig dissapointed but when it's all over and done with I think I'll sue to get my money back. It is after all, about the principle.