The worst music ever made...

For new sounds, old sounds and favourite sound discussion...

Moderators: sunny, BzaInSpace, runcible, spzretent

runcible
Site Admin

The worst music ever made...

Post by runcible »

I just got back from a boiling hot family holiday in Majorca...Great fun, insanely hot for almost the whole time. Just ridiculous at its frying pan feel peak.

Anyway, the area we were in (El Arenal) was very German. That meant that people seemed to generally behave much better than more Brit-orientated areas of the Balearics - that was really noticeable and I welcomed the lack of my fellow countrymen, and the tourists out there were pretty friendly. The negative was that everyone seemed to be playing what is, by some distance, the absolute worst, most repellent music I have ever heard in my life. It was all over - the bars, cafes, restaurants... but also every guest who sat around the hotel pool had a speaker and they ALL played the same shite. I thought Jennifer Lopez was bad but she has nothing on this stuff.

I had to ask my kids what it was and my eldest daughter told me it was Electronic Dance Music, or 'EDM'. My God. My children hated it too, but they are all massively into a lot of heavy shit like Bring Me The Horizon, Neck Deep etc. so they were as offended as I was. I didn't know music of this quality even existed. Almost every tune had the same dum dum-dum-dum dum beat, with horrific synthetic synths and vocals, like it was all Nutrasweet rather than sugar, and no depth or substance whatsoever.

One day a bunch of lads set up a large boombox and played it at ridiculous volume while we all cringed at each other. This group were too intimidating to have a go at and they knew they were annoying us so we did out best to ignore them. I ended up Shazamming some of the tunes so I could check if they were as bad as I thought at the time. And they are.

Here's an example. Brace yourself.

I could have done with a similar sized boombox and Suicide's Frankie Teardrop to show them something a little different, but everyone was playing this bollocks so I doubt my musical lesson would have gone down too well.

Please tell me no one here is into this genre. It showed me a level of music I'd fortunately avoided up til now.

I mean, is there worse music than this out there? Can't be, surely?

Sorry but I had to get that off my chest.
sunray
Known user

Re: The worst music ever made...

Post by sunray »

:lol: What rock have you been hiding under? Welcome to the 21st century Runci!

It's funny that it sounds no different to the Euro-dance cheese that we used to laugh at in the mid to late nineties.
Nineteen...Nineteen...Six Five
Jasonsmith
Known user

Post by Jasonsmith »

Germany has much worse to offer: go to you tube and search for Die Amigos. A crime against music and dentistry...
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

When that bunch of lads set up stall with their horror sound system I sent a few messages home about it. I even sent a picture I took from our hotel room balcony saying 'these men have committed crimes against music' showing the culprits. It was truly remarkable that they thought everyone should share in the horror they were broadcasting, but I suspect a few guests enjoyed it such is the enthusiasm for that musical style.

Sadly I know all too well that if you want to enjoy a sunny Euro holiday you have to endure the accompanying shitty soundtrack. I suspect it's the same all over Europe. At one point we passed a pleasant looking bar/cafe but as we got closer the sounds were obviously of a highly gratuitous nature and there were even ladies outside dancing and singing along, as were some gents on the hotel balcony above. I think that is the sound of mainland Europe in terms of sunshine. Scary!

My satisfaction came tonight when I played my children Frankie Teardrop for the first time. Their expressions of terror were genuine. It seems that they too had no idea music of that nature even existed! Bring Me The Horizon? Noisy for sure - but scary? Alan and Martin are on another level - and they meant it!
Laz69
Known user

Post by Laz69 »

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Is this you saying you've changed your mind about Brexit and want to accelerate the process?????

:lol:
Greeny
Known user

Post by Greeny »

You should try going to any major motorsport event on the continent (F1, Le Mans etc) if you want the full effect. You've not lived unless you've heard this sh1t blasted from 100,000 portable sound systems concurrently at four in the morning...
olan
Known user

Post by olan »

Unless there were flutes and pan pipes added to the EDM mix it sounds like you got off lightly. We operate a strictly 'no flutes' policy that needed careful adjustment where certain Spacemen 3 and Sprirtualized tracks were concerned.
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

Agreed Olan. Pan pipes are not on. So much of that meditation/relaxing music has them at the fore, but instead of them relaxing me I find myself enraged...
sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

HA! The Bagpipes tune brings back some memories alright. Only ever heard an instrumental version of it though.

In the wider scheme of things; Panpipes? No. Flutes? Yes. Plenty of funk with some nice flutes going off. Also early Mercury Rev were quite fond of utilising the flutes charms.
Nineteen...Nineteen...Six Five
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

Let's not forget a little band by the name of Bardo Pond when it comes to the flute.

Panpipes aren't good though. Remember the awful craze in the 90s of panpipe versions of pop hits?

I am tempted to listen to the link in runcible's original post, but I think I'm gonna take your word as to how bad it is..
olan
Known user

Post by olan »

angelsighs wrote:Let's not forget a little band by the name of Bardo Pond when it comes to the flute.
There is another necessary exception to the blanket ban. Anna Quimby was a major issue for me when she played with MBV in 1991-1992. Live flute :shock:
Hedspace
Known user

Post by Hedspace »

FM Spaceman wrote:
angelsighs wrote:Panpipes aren't good though.
:)

xx xx ...
definitely not in this case :wink:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_McyI1IQfcM
flokie
Known user

Post by flokie »

That's the thing with holidays, you do get subjected to all the worst music you manage to avoid all year long. I was in the Vendee in France last summer, and our holiday house was right next to a campsite. And that being your large continental campsite by the sea, they had big parties twice a week, with the music on loud til 1am. Nice.
flokie
Known user

Post by flokie »

And Madonna's tee somehow reminded me of
:shock: