Former Spacemen 3 Manager Gerald Palmer Responds To Allegati

For new sounds, old sounds and favourite sound discussion...

Moderators: sunny, BzaInSpace, runcible, spzretent

The Dr
Known user

Former Spacemen 3 Manager Gerald Palmer Responds To Allegati

Post by The Dr »

“You're not Dostoevsky,' said the citizeness

'Well, who knows, who knows,' he replied.

'Dostoevsky's dead,' said the citizeness, but somehow not very confidently.

'I protest!' Behemoth exclaimed hotly. 'Dostoevsky is immortal!”
spacemanrich
Known user

Re: Former Spacemen 3 Manager Gerald Palmer Responds To Alle

Post by spacemanrich »

Thanks for the short article. I don't see this being resolved anytime soon.
Laz69
Known user

Post by Laz69 »

What steps are being taken to contest his ownership? Have the wheels of the legal system started turning on this? An injunction on Palmer to stop him until this is resolved one way or another? I for one would like to know whats happening with this.
mojo filters
Known user

Post by mojo filters »

Laz69 wrote:What steps are being taken to contest his ownership? Have the wheels of the legal system started turning on this? An injunction on Palmer to stop him until this is resolved one way or another? I for one would like to know whats happening with this.
Who do you expect to turn these legal wheels?

If you read the transcripts of the Enid case, Palmer appears to be represented by his business associate rather than expensive external Counsel. Also note the wording of the relevant statements (ignoring the more nebulous artwork claims) that the aggrieved parties specify underpayment of royalties.

Hence the cost of paying for expensive legal representation (and Palmer clearly is experienced in dragging these matters out to make them as expensive as possible) may not be worth the prospect of a successful outcome, as without intending any disrespect - I suspect the amounts of money involved are simply not large enough to make that expense worthwhile, even assuming complete success (and bear in mind that probably involves enforcing requirements for back payment, another additional expensive endeavour even with the courts on your side).

Whilst it's a very unfortunate situation, it's not exactly unusual to hear about a band in dispute with a manager over money.
I'm like Evel Knievel, I get paid for the attempt. I didn't promise this shit would be good!
Dave Chappelle
spacemanrich
Known user

Post by spacemanrich »

The Spacemen aren't the first nor last to be in legal binding contracts. Think George Michael suing Sony. Think Stone Roses with SilverTone ? Chalk it up to being young, naive and gullible in most cases trusting the word of their record labels, managers, etc. The Spacemen are stuck, unless Gerard Palmer dies and they ' buy ' the rights. It might even be that Palmer hands it over to his other business associate before/after he dies. No happy ending that I see.
plastic37
Known user

Post by plastic37 »

My undergarduate dissertation was called "Young Musicians and the Ideology of the music industry" It was subtitled "Blues For George Michael". I must read it again soon.
Heavy Tourism
plastic37
Known user

Post by plastic37 »

So, I read my undergraduate dissertation.
Tomorrow I am gonna knock it up as a fanzine .... the latest edition of YELLOW PLASTIC, I ll send it gratis to anyone who PMs me with a postal adress before 01.09.17.
Also of note, Einstellung just shared a video I made for them last year.
They captioned it "produced by our dear friend and ex manager ....

A former friend once told me that Einstellung had Zero Commercial Potential. I took that as the title of the radio documentary I made about them during the period I tried to expand their audience (it's on sound cloud). The reason he is a former friend is because he also told me that when he was actively trying to get a client to sack him as manager he was attempting to incite the artist to violence as that would strengthen the case against his former charge. I can't be friends with someone who would do that.

I am not entirely sure why I am sharing this with you. It does seam relevant, particularly the dissertation .... amazing to read it after 20+ years. Maybe thats why I can't sleep.
Heavy Tourism