R.I.P. Holger Czukay

For new sounds, old sounds and favourite sound discussion...

Moderators: sunny, BzaInSpace, runcible, spzretent

spzretent
Site Admin

R.I.P. Holger Czukay

Post by spzretent »

I really hate to be the person posting this and I can't believe 24 hours after his passing no one else has but
Rest In Peace Holger Czukay.
Congratulations on a job well done. You have influenced so many bands.
Heaven just got another great bass player.
http://www.lilmoxie.com
Detroit, Music, Sports and Other Stuff(including Spiritualized, Spacemen 3)
runcible
Site Admin

Re: R.I.P. Holger Czukay

Post by runcible »

One of the ultimate rhythm sections is no more...
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

runcible wrote:One of the ultimate rhythm sections is no more...
amen to that runcible! one of the all time greatest for sure

I had to put some Can on after hearing this news, I decided to pick a less obvious choice with Monster Movie... wow, You Doo Right in particular is astonishing and the rhythm section are driving the whole thing!
niamhm
Known user

Post by niamhm »

angelsighs wrote:

I had to put some Can on after hearing this news, I decided to pick a less obvious choice with Monster Movie... wow, You Doo Right in particular is astonishing and the rhythm section are driving the whole thing!

I love You Doo Right, long tracks used to intimidate the younger niamhm, I used to think what is this indulgent hippy/prog shit or something coming from an initial punk background, and my dad played a lot of prog around the house pre/post punk times, so yeah. You Doo Right came at the right time though, eyes/ears/mind all open at the right point in time, of course it needs 20mins. Thanks for the music then, and well 79 is a good old age, great life.
toomilk
Known user

Post by toomilk »

He was a huge inspiration for me as a bass player when I discovered Can in middle school. He will be greatly missed.

As runcible said, that concludes one of the best rhythm sections in all of music.
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

niamhm wrote:
angelsighs wrote:

I love You Doo Right, long tracks used to intimidate the younger niamhm, I used to think what is this indulgent hippy/prog shit or something coming from an initial punk background, and my dad played a lot of prog around the house pre/post punk times, so yeah. You Doo Right came at the right time though, eyes/ears/mind all open at the right point in time, of course it needs 20mins. Thanks for the music then, and well 79 is a good old age, great life.
that's the great thing about Can. they are able to jam for 20 mins but with a minimalism and focus, and it's got an intensity that's almost punk. Can forever!