The The comeback.

For new sounds, old sounds and favourite sound discussion...

Moderators: sunny, BzaInSpace, runcible, spzretent

Shaun
Known user

The The comeback.

Post by Shaun »

Not to everyone's taste I know, but I used to love The The. So very recently when I had the heads up from Orbital that they were doing a concert next year at the RAH I could barely believe it since the last concert was 16 years ago. From that point until the day the tickets went on sale I was a nervous wreck. I could not allow myself to miss out on this concert. Then when they went on sale last Friday I saw the cost of them and thinking that making your fans wait so long I guess you can value the concert for that much. Unimpressed by that I still went ahead and proceeded to by a ticket. Then after the inevitable sell out within 90 minutes or so another date for the following day at Brixton Academy was added. Immediately I felt a bit conned as the ticket price was half as that as the most expensive at the RAH and as much as the cheapest there. And almost as immediately I had a friend contact me saying he couldn't get one for the RAH and could I get one for Brixton Academy and will I go with him. So I couldn't say no and ended up buying two tickets for there. And then after another inevitable sell out yet another show at another venue for the night after was added. By then I was so annoyed that all these concerts weren't on general sale at the same time I simply refused to even consider going. I remember many years ago Matt Johnson saying how he hated the way the music industry had become. Well I hate how these comeback gigs got promoted. I just hope they're worth it.
What more can the heart of a man desire?
ro
Known user

Re: The The comeback.

Post by ro »

It really does stink, the way that happens.
That said, I'm really happy for you and I hope you have a super time!
spacemanrich
Known user

Post by spacemanrich »

Always liked The The and felt they were underappreciated.

Sometimes a band are unsure about their popularity, especially after a 16 year absence. I'm sure they were surprised that they sold out RAH in 90 minutes. I'm even surprised that they are playing RAH instead of a smaller venue. I remember when Bauhaus played a small venue in L.A. what 15 years or so ago and they sold out in 30 minutes and realized how popular they were and went on a massive world tour. Bauhaus in concert was brilliant by the way.

Did you check the website:
http://www.thethe.com/
Greeny
Known user

Post by Greeny »

The Albert Hall tickets were breathtakingly expensive - £130 for top price seats in the arena front!!

I managed to grab a stalls seat in the end and that was almost a ton. Only got that through checking back again and again until the system cleared a few odd seats. By that time I had already snagged a couple of Brixton tickets for me and a mate, but I really didn't want to miss the RAH.

Hopefully it will be a more rewarding experience than the last time I was there for a gig :wink:

Also going to the ICA for the film premiere and Q&A, plus Infected screening... all in all that was a very expensive day for TheThe ticket buying!
Shaun
Known user

Post by Shaun »

Thank you ro xx

Greeny. I paid just less than £80+ for my RAH ticket. I might see you at either or both.

The third show was at a venue called The Troxy and that place looks great. I can understand why they chose RAH and Brixton spacemanrich. I think the old vhs video called 'Versus the World' was filmed at RAH so that's legendary, and next years concert there will be 25 years plus a day to the date when they did another legendary show at Brixton Academy. So for the first two shows it is probably for nostalgic reasons and also Brixton Academy was always MJ's favourite venue in London. But the third concert at The Troxy baffled me, unless MJ also did a concert there years ago.
What more can the heart of a man desire?
Greeny
Known user

Post by Greeny »

I'm thinking the Troxy show is all about connecting with Matt's East End roots. He's campaigned to save some of the "old London" in that Whitechapel/Limehouse/Shoreditch area and the Troxy is the only major gig venue in this locale.

I've been there a few times and as long as you get down the front in the lower standing area it's good. But for a Sussex boy it's a pig to get home from compared with the central RAH and the southern Brixton...
Greeny
Known user

Post by Greeny »

Last night I went to the London premiere of the film about Matt, Inertia Variations.

It really is a fantastic piece of work, very personal and very insightful, but also beautifully made by his ex-partner Johanna St Michaels.

If any of you get a chance to see it, I'd strongly recommend you take it. Great for fans of TheThe of course, but also anyone interested in the art and process of making music, as well as in the human condition and the effect of ageing on the creative muse.

Also got to meet Matt (an absolute gent) in person and got a signed and inscribed copy of his new vinyl box set. Which was nice.
spaceman85
Known user

Post by spaceman85 »

just boogied to the first album the other day.
his soundtrack to hyena was dope!

from what i read he started back with THE THE when his brother had passed.