R.I.P. Mark E Smith

For new sounds, old sounds and favourite sound discussion...

Moderators: sunny, BzaInSpace, runcible, spzretent

cantona
Known user

R.I.P. Mark E Smith

Post by cantona »

One of my biggest heroes.
Martin L
Known user

Re: R.I.P. Mark E Smith

Post by Martin L »

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-42811968

I always thought he was older, another part of my youth and musical growing has gone
niamhm
Known user

Post by niamhm »

Not unexpected with the reports on his health recently but a blow all the same, he`s been a constant figure in my musical landscape for almost 40 yrs, singular talent and for all the Mr Grumpy stuff I always found him very funny, sad news indeed.
sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

Odd to think that there will never be another new Fall album.

Fantastic lyricist - "An odour resembling hot-dogs permeated the whole bedroom" being a personal fave :lol:

The three R's 8)
Nineteen...Nineteen...Six Five
throb
Known user

Post by throb »

Sad news.

I don't own much Fall music, but always made a point of seeing them live when I could.

I really enjoyed the fact that you never really knew what you were going to get - sometimes astonishing, sometimes shambolic- but always compelling.

I last saw the Fall in 2016 in Bristol. Rumour was Mark had split from his wife just before the gig but, for whatever reason, he and the band delivered one of the most brutal live performances I've ever seen. I could not take my eyes off the stage for one second.Aside from his lyrics & music, Mark had something indefinable about him on stage; a bit punk, a bit rock, but not really either. Just something "other". Truly mesmeric.

I also enjoyed the fact that Mark made efforts to shake everyone - the audience, the band, himself - out of their comfort zones. Dicking around with the amps on stage. "Playing" keyboards over the keyboard parts already being played. Pissing off backstage to sing. A true original.

Bye Mark. You made the world more interesting.
SPZ outpatients - forum radio on LAST.FM
BROKENHEART
Known user

Post by BROKENHEART »

Mark E Smith . Never a dull moment. Arguably one of the best front men ever. Some brilliant Fall shows, some good and some pretty forgetful.
One thing you can't do is argue with the back catalogue with studio , live and compilation albums totalling over 100 .
My favourite memory of a Fall live show was back in 1993 at Portsmouth Pyramids Centre on The Infotainment Scan tour.
Privileged to have seen one of the greatest bands of the last 4 decades.
R.I.P. Mark E Smith.
toomilk
Known user

Post by toomilk »

RIP MES

My love for The Fall is topped only by my love for Spiritualized and Spacemen 3. I was fortunate enough to see them live in Leeds in 2014. Loved every moment of it.

I watched 3 hours of the dreadful Rock N Roll Hall of Fame Induction Ceremony this year and they included MES in the little "People We Lost" slideshow. All the rich music industry people probably had no clue who they were looking at, but I thought it was a nice touch.