new album update

For new sounds, old sounds and favourite sound discussion...

Moderators: sunny, BzaInSpace, runcible, spzretent

1+1-1
Known user

new album update

Post by 1+1-1 »

howdy,

as we are the last to hear anything here I went to HMV to ask them when it was due. they said it should have been out 15th December but it never came in. they phoned the supplier who said that the record label had withdrawn the entire catalogue of spiritualized which, the lady in HMV said probably means the label has withdrawn support of the artist.

I then emailed Amazon who replied today saying there was a date 15/12/17 but it had not come in from the supplier, offering no more information than that. apparently it was even listed on their site but it was withdrawn and pre-orders (pre-orders?! I didn't even know!) were cancelled as the delay is now indefinite.

I sent a message to SPZ social media and didn't get a reply, i'll try again so it seems that the album was due but t hen pulled (again)? are they too fed up with him? was him going back to redo and remix the vocals the last straw?

i'm starting to think that SHSL was the last album, not this one!
TheWarmth
Known user

Re: new album update

Post by TheWarmth »

John Coxon has posted a few studio images on Instagram recently. Whether that's Spiritualized related or not is hard to tell. His handle is "johnrtcoxon".
olan
Known user

Post by olan »

It was meant to come out on Bella Union IIRC. They are no longer listed among the label's artists though. I've had two attempts to ask Simon Raymonde about it (and my mate made a third) with zero joy. I expect to walk into Probe and just find it in the new release racks all of a sudden only to be learn it has been out for two weeks.... :roll:
1+1-1
Known user

Post by 1+1-1 »

olan wrote:It was meant to come out on Bella Union IIRC. They are no longer listed among the label's artists though. I've had two attempts to ask Simon Raymonde about it (and my mate made a third) with zero joy. I expect to walk into Probe and just find it in the new release racks all of a sudden only to be learn it has been out for two weeks.... :roll:
in the proverbial woolworths bargin bin! so that explains the lack of label then!
TheWarmth
Known user

Post by TheWarmth »

I'm sure the album will see the light of day. There are plenty of labels who would love to be involved. If the album winds up being as good as "Always Forgetting With You (Bridge Song)" (which may wind up on the album), then I will be very happy. That song has an otherworldliness to it that has been somewhat absent over the past three or four releases.
clewsr
Known user

Post by clewsr »

interesting stuff, Good research. - I wonder if HMV had a title for it, when it was on pre-order? It seems amazing that the shops had a release date for it, but there was no whisper about it on the web.

However I'm sure the Pure Phase went the same way, I think Q reviewed about 6 months before its eventual release

Certainly doesn't seem like a release is imminent, although it wouldn't be a spiritualized album without mind mindbogglingly long delays.
olan
Known user

Post by olan »

I can't really see the LP coming out before the summer unless it is already in the can and pressed. The RSD backlog etc means nothing realistically can happen before early May now.

If it is come out this year then I would expect them to play a set similar to the shows in Australia last year, augmented perhaps by one or two new tracks this summer at the festivals to generate a bit of publicity/buzz. On the back of that it makes sense to then release the LP in August/September in time for a lengthy UK and US tour before Xmas.

It'll probably be out in a week now :lol:
sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

Working title: Oh The Stings Of Purgatory.
Nineteen...Nineteen...Six Five
clewsr
Known user

Post by clewsr »

:lol: :lol: :lol:
1+1-1
Known user

Post by 1+1-1 »

clewsr wrote:interesting stuff, Good research. - I wonder if HMV had a title for it, when it was on pre-order? .
the lady said she thought it had been 'burnt wings' but had been relisted as Spiritualized New Album. she was a fan of the band

preorder from september i think she said, but i was too stunned to catch exactly so may be wrong!
mojo filters
Known user

Post by mojo filters »

1+1-1 wrote:
clewsr wrote:interesting stuff, Good research. - I wonder if HMV had a title for it, when it was on pre-order? .
the lady said she thought it had been 'burnt wings' but had been relisted as Spiritualized New Album. she was a fan of the band

preorder from september i think she said, but i was too stunned to catch exactly so may be wrong!
No disrespect to fellow forum members intended...

It seems sad some random HMV employee, who happened to be a Spiritualized fan, knew a potential new album name back in late 2017 - whilst the only active fan interaction space on the web knew sweet fuck all!

At the end of the day, I only care that we get to hear it. Furthermore I'd rather the Spiritualized swansong were late but great, than on time and average.
I'm like Evel Knievel, I get paid for the attempt. I didn't promise this shit would be good!
Dave Chappelle
TheWarmth
Known user

Post by TheWarmth »

I hope that's not the title. It just makes me think of chicken wings.
mc
Known user

Post by mc »

Yeah, I hope "Burnt Wings" isn't the title too. It makes me think of radios and aeroplanes and fire and Jesus and going places slow and other things I really really hope J has left behind :/
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

Surely I am not the only one finding this thread depressing?
http://www.lilmoxie.com
Detroit, Music, Sports and Other Stuff(including Spiritualized, Spacemen 3)
Stonedutch
Known user

Post by Stonedutch »

All that can be said at this point is....

wtf...

:shock:
"Where I stand is only three miles from space ..."
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

don't see the reason for all the doom and gloom? I'm not 100% buying the info from the lady at HMV to be honest. it seems bizarre that preorders would be possible before an album is even announced? sometimes release dates can show up on the system but it's just a general date preemptively pencilled in. or sometimes re-releases or even bootlegs can show up too.

maybe it just took too long to finish the album and the Bella Union arrangement was time limited or something. could be all sorts of reasons.

I'll admit that the extremely long wait is a bit annoying (now the longest gap between Spiritualized albums ever right? and I recall when the 4 year wait for LICD was felt to be epic..) but I am sure there are a number of decent labels who would be happy to put Jason's latest opus out.
heisenberg
Known user

Post by heisenberg »

No doom and gloom from me either. When you consider the long gestation period and the few facts we have about the new album it's exciting to consider what it will sound like when it finally emerges. It's been so long already I can wait another few months. If you look back at its making it's definitely been an interesting story and I can't help but try imagine how the album will sound given what we already know.

We know Jason originally talked to Tony Visconti to produce. That never happened. Then he went ahead with the recording in Spain with Youth producing, only to eventually scrap that version and subsequently struggled to get Youth to relinquish the recordings and leave the project. Now it's back to being self-produced (I assume?).

We've heard some new songs (Here it Comes, A song, D song, Let's Dance) but not a full album's worth.

Jason himself has said it's the last album, and will be the equal of if not better than L&G.

Despite all this, it still seems we have no idea what it will sound like. Given it's supposedly the last album I imagine Jason's giving the album everything he has and it therefore might encompass just about everything he's touched on before but more so. Also, he's said he re-recorded vocals last year after playing L&G shows. I think his live vocals over the last few years have been his best, making me feel that his standards are insanely high for this album, hence why it's taking as long as it is.

I agree with a September release. I'll just be glad to have some new Spiritualized to listen to.
good dope/good fun
Known user

Post by good dope/good fun »

Wondering what we'll get 1st...
A new Spiritualized® album or a new Tool album...
1+1-1
Known user

Post by 1+1-1 »

Wondering what we'll get 1st...
A new Spiritualized® album or a new Beatles album by the original band
1+1-1
Known user

Post by 1+1-1 »

no reply as of yet from the band. anyone tired to email/facebook the (old?) record label? I would but I can't be arsed now!
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

it's ready when it's ready. plenty of other bands to enjoy!

I do sometimes wonder what it would be like if the band were really prolific though. Imagine if they were one of those bands that released an album every year. would be a very different career.
good dope/good fun
Known user

How the fuck could you get a new Beatles album by the original band?
Next time you contact the band be sure to ask them that.
clewsr
Known user

Post by clewsr »

good dope/good fun wrote:How the fuck could you get a new Beatles album by the original band?
Next time you contact the band be sure to ask them that.
Don't you think tt seems liklely that that comment might have been a joke, or perhaps a humorous aside?
good dope/good fun
Known user

herman
Known user

Post by herman »

As a teaser for the new album I sugest a 12" release of the 2 Kenzo tracks. Been listening to them lately and they are truly hypnotic!
"Thank you"
TheWarmth
Known user

Post by TheWarmth »

herman wrote:As a teaser for the new album I sugest a 12" release of the 2 Kenzo tracks. Been listening to them lately and they are truly hypnotic!
Agree, but my guess is that they're going to be incorporated into the album somehow.
mojo filters
Known user

Post by mojo filters »

TheWarmth wrote:
herman wrote:As a teaser for the new album I sugest a 12" release of the 2 Kenzo tracks. Been listening to them lately and they are truly hypnotic!
Agree, but my guess is that they're going to be incorporated into the album somehow.
You think? I loved both of those, plus other recent output like the amazing Cut Copy re-work and the Space track.

All have a hypnotic quality. I didn't hear the same in Hear Comes The Road, Let's Dance, Perfect Miracle, A Song or D Song.

I know those early scratch live renditions were pretty raw, but how much scope is there to translate them into tracks which would coherently sit on an album alongside variations on these quite different song types?

It could be interesting. I can't see it happening.

A separate 12" 45rpm teaser would be nice, but would also potentially dilute and confuse the strategy around releasing the new album.

Perhaps they would sit better if released at a later date, as part of Complete Works V3?
I'm like Evel Knievel, I get paid for the attempt. I didn't promise this shit would be good!
Dave Chappelle
jack white
Known user

Post by jack white »

Hopefully Speeding Motorcycle makes it onto new album. Great cover. Would’ve fit well on SH/SL. In fact it’s not a bad idea for him to do/release an entire DJ covers record. Time goes slowly by? The opposite seems true to me. Time fades away..
https://youtu.be/S7yW3fIb6iQ

Vol 3 complete works? That’ll be the day.. unofficial release only at present likely imo..
gonna burn brightly
for a while
clewsr
Known user

Post by clewsr »

jack white wrote:Hopefully Speeding Motorcycle makes it onto new album. Great cover. Would’ve fit well on SH/SL. In fact it’s not a bad idea for him to do/release an entire DJ covers record. Time goes slowly by? The opposite seems true to me. Time fades away..
https://youtu.be/S7yW3fIb6iQ

Vol 3 complete works? That’ll be the day.. unofficial release only at present likely imo..
The sudden progress on this thread made me think I'd missed something for a minute.

Not so fussed by that link. I'd much prefer a Kenzo / Cutcopy sounding album but I do love Here it Comes and Perfect Miracle.
TheWarmth
Known user

Post by TheWarmth »

John Coxon has posted a few photos over the past week of Jason in the studio. It appears that he's still tracking the album. I have a bad feeling the end of the year is the earliest we can expect it. I really feels like its been an eternity at this point.
BzaInSpace
Site Admin

Post by BzaInSpace »

The ridiculous "fake-news" in the above thread should be taken with a massive pinch of salt - particularly around the story of 1+1-1 claiming HMV(!) had a title announced and all that by a girl at the checkout he fancied or something.

Total bullshit - much like the claim the album would come out on download on Xmas day?

It's been a long time now though. My FB memory feed thing told me the other day it was 6 years since I waited impatiently working all weekend to listen to Sweet Heart, Sweet Light after the record arrived early.

That Monday off listening to it was...beyond.

It's wild as I was speaking to someone this weekend who'd never heard it before and she thought it was incredible.

I just want to be alive when the next album hits.

If it's even a fraction of what the Kenzo tracks get to it's gonna be fucking incredible.
O P 8
BzaInSpace
Site Admin

Post by BzaInSpace »

Yes indeed! Missed you and Jeffrey's input as much as anything else. Let it Flow indeed.
O P 8
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

TheWarmth wrote: Mon Apr 23, 2018 7:45 pm John Coxon has posted a few photos over the past week of Jason in the studio. It appears that he's still tracking the album. I have a bad feeling the end of the year is the earliest we can expect it. I really feels like its been an eternity at this point.
jeez, it's almost getting into Chinese Democracy territory now! especially as we know the longest phase for any Spiritualized record is mixing the thing, not getting the tracks down.

wonder if all those new songs played live will make it? or has he written a new batch. some of them are years olf at this point.
TheWarmth
Known user

Post by TheWarmth »

I'm hoping that he's just adding last minute finishing touches. Sometimes tracking and mixing overlap, so we'll see.
good dope/good fun
Known user

I don't think that's a studio from those pictures of J.
sm-iom
Known user

Post by sm-iom »

That's J's guest appearance with The Founder Effect over the weekend, I'd have thought.