Fucked Up Inside - RSD Vinyl Reissue

For new sounds, old sounds and favourite sound discussion...

Moderators: sunny, BzaInSpace, runcible, spzretent

rameses
Known user

Re: Fucked Up Inside - RSD Vinyl Reissue

Post by rameses »

If anyone's still looking, a couple of copies have shown up on Discogs for around £35.00.
It's nice to be liked,
But it's better by far to get paid.
clewsr
Known user

Post by clewsr »

spzretent wrote: Wed May 16, 2018 9:23 pm My FUI RSD copy turned up yesterday. So glad. Thank you Record Collector in Sheffield, A shop I have been to a few times which makes it even cooler.
I was impatient and bought the Glass Redux CD and it indeed sounds much better than the original.
For some inexplicable reason I bought a Plain LP reissue when it came out. I must have had tons of store credit at one of my local record shops. The cover is still cool. The Plain reissue sits in an LP frame.
I'm confused, I thought the only release so far with the John Rivers remaster was the vinyl record store day. When was the Glass CD released?
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

clewsr wrote: Thu May 17, 2018 10:26 am I'm confused, I thought the only release so far with the John Rivers remaster was the vinyl record store day. When was the Glass CD released?
Earlier this year. First one I saw was in late January.
http://www.lilmoxie.com
Detroit, Music, Sports and Other Stuff(including Spiritualized, Spacemen 3)
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

CDs releases don't get the hype that vinyl get, which I can kind of understand. less limited and less of a collector market.
Dreamweapon
Known user

Post by Dreamweapon »

Dreamweapon wrote: Wed May 09, 2018 8:07 am Sorry - am still really confused by this - it's on Glass Redux, but distributed by Adasam. Did anyone get to the bottom of how this works? Does it still mean that this is also sort of through Space Age / Gerald which there has been an awful lot talked about, and therefore Jason is caught up in the same predicament as Sonic? But we've also had the element mentioned about Jason and Dave Barker maybe being back together.....
clewsr wrote: Thu May 17, 2018 10:26 am I'm confused, I thought the only release so far with the John Rivers remaster was the vinyl record store day. When was the Glass CD released?
So now I'm even more confused - is the RSD release different to the Glass Redux one? There's the BZA Remaster AND the John Rivers Remaster? The Glass Redux is still distributed through Adasam, which links Jason to Gerald Palmer?

HELP!
clewsr
Known user

Post by clewsr »

Hi have the Glass Redux CD, and I do not believe it was remastered. Nothing to indicate this on the CD, or the promotional blurb - https://www.piccadillyrecords.com/count ... pid=118666
clewsr
Known user

Post by clewsr »

So I think the RSD release is the only remastered release at this time.
Dreamweapon
Known user

Post by Dreamweapon »

Yet this page shows this as the John Rivers Remaster on Glass Redux. So is the CD version of this also on Glass Redux not remastered?

https://www.discogs.com/Spiritualized-F ... e/11876600
clewsr
Known user

Post by clewsr »

yeah, but that link refers to the RSD release specifically, so I still think the Glass CD from last year is not remastered. -

Spiritualized ‎– Fucked Up Inside
Label:
Glass Redux ‎– REDUXLP009
Format:
Vinyl, LP, Album, Limited Edition, Reissue, Milky Clear, 180 g
UK
Released:
21 Apr 2018

Record Store Day 2018 release, 1000 copies on milky clear vinyl.
rameses
Known user

Post by rameses »

I posted as query on Glass Redux bandcamp site and have received the following:

"the LP was remastered by John Rivers after the CD so no they aren't the same exactly but then again CD & vinyl are mastered differently anyway. The CD was mastered by cloning the original

db"
It's nice to be liked,
Laz69
Known user

Post by Laz69 »

Beat me to it Rameses!

Just got a response from David Barker:
The CD was taken from the original CD. The LP was remastered. Vinyl has to be mastered differently anyway. Usually you make separate masters anyway.
rameses
Known user

Post by rameses »

Great minds etc......

Suppose I'm going to have to buy a copy too now.
It's nice to be liked,
burningwheel
Known user

Post by burningwheel »

rameses wrote: Thu May 17, 2018 6:13 am If anyone's still looking, a couple of copies have shown up on Discogs for around £35.00.
Not anymore sadly. Anyone know a store that still has copies? Long shot...
[url=http://www.loveisforever.org]Primal Scream, My Bloody Valentine, Swervedriver, Chapterhouse, The Telescopes, Loop, Verve and more![/url]
good dope/good fun
Known user

Post by good dope/good fun »

I don’t know what’s taking BZA so long to remaster the Maginassett show.
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

rameses wrote: Fri May 18, 2018 1:14 pm I posted as query on Glass Redux bandcamp site and have received the following:

"the LP was remastered by John Rivers after the CD so no they aren't the same exactly but then again CD & vinyl are mastered differently anyway. The CD was mastered by cloning the original

db"
I stand corrected.
http://www.lilmoxie.com
Detroit, Music, Sports and Other Stuff(including Spiritualized, Spacemen 3)
mc
Known user

Post by mc »

burningwheel wrote: Sat May 19, 2018 12:36 am
rameses wrote: Thu May 17, 2018 6:13 am If anyone's still looking, a couple of copies have shown up on Discogs for around £35.00.
Not anymore sadly. Anyone know a store that still has copies? Long shot...
I nabbed one of those, sorry!
mc
Known user

Post by mc »

My copy arrived today -- playing it now, and all's I can say so far is that the sound is :shock: :D :shock:
mc
Known user

Post by mc »

Ahhh, that reminded me of why I love Spiritualized so much :)

On an amusing note, I just realised that it's almost exactly 19 years since I got my first edition of FUI - that was on FA Cup Final day in 1999, when Man U beat Newcastle U 2-0. I recall bursting into the student union with my new finds (FUI and Spectrum's "Undo The Taboo" single, both on CD for £2.99 each) and my friends being utterly nonplussed :lol:
clewsr
Known user

Post by clewsr »

So my copy of fucked up inside arrived yesterday.... Can you believe it was the 2014 plain reissue which I expect I already own. I am fucked off!
Oasis22
New user

Post by Oasis22 »

All of a sudden the Plain Records FUI is showing up at local record shops.... confusing those trying to get the special edition from Glass.
burningwheel
Known user

Post by burningwheel »

I dont understand why they didnt release the remastered version on cd
[url=http://www.loveisforever.org]Primal Scream, My Bloody Valentine, Swervedriver, Chapterhouse, The Telescopes, Loop, Verve and more![/url]
davedecay
Known user

Post by davedecay »

burningwheel wrote: Sun May 20, 2018 8:44 pm I dont understand why they didnt release the remastered version on cd
Maybe people aren't paying $25 for a CD?
clewsr
Known user

Post by clewsr »

Finally got a copy of this. It sounds so much better! Much more live and fresh feeling.
LunarTunes
Known user

Post by LunarTunes »

Two copies available right now on the Glass Redux Bandcamp page:

https://glassredux.bandcamp.com/album/fucked-up-inside

Too much money for me but maybe OK for someone here...
TheWarmth
Known user

Post by TheWarmth »

Thanks for the tip, Lunar. I got the last one. Cost $50 with shipping, but they're going for more than that on Discogs.
LunarTunes
Known user

Post by LunarTunes »

No problem. Glad you got it. :D
sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

LunarTunes wrote: Fri Jun 08, 2018 3:19 pm Two copies available right now on the Glass Redux Bandcamp page:

Too much money for me but maybe OK for someone here...
Missed out on this as I had a head full of acid, cider and sunshine and couldn't figure out how to check my bank balance in time to make a purchase :roll: :oops: :lol:
Nineteen...Nineteen...Six Five
rameses
Known user

Post by rameses »

There's one on Discogs for £30 if anyone is still looking.
It's nice to be liked,
Dreamweapon
Known user

Post by Dreamweapon »

Dreamweapon wrote: Fri May 18, 2018 7:37 am
Dreamweapon wrote: Wed May 09, 2018 8:07 am Sorry - am still really confused by this - it's on Glass Redux, but distributed by Adasam. Did anyone get to the bottom of how this works? Does it still mean that this is also sort of through Space Age / Gerald which there has been an awful lot talked about, and therefore Jason is caught up in the same predicament as Sonic? But we've also had the element mentioned about Jason and Dave Barker maybe being back together.....
So now I'm even more confused - is the RSD release different to the Glass Redux one? There's the BZA Remaster AND the John Rivers Remaster? The Glass Redux is still distributed through Adasam, which links Jason to Gerald Palmer?

HELP!
Dreamweapon wrote: Fri May 18, 2018 10:30 am Yet this page shows this as the John Rivers Remaster on Glass Redux. So is the CD version of this also on Glass Redux not remastered?

https://www.discogs.com/Spiritualized-F ... e/11876600

So are we basically saying that the FUI RSD release this year is essentially the John Rivers Remaster on vinyl, CD is not remastered but just repackaged, and that they're both on Glass Redux, which is also through Adasam?

Sorry if I'm being really stupid and missing something...
Laz69
Known user

Post by Laz69 »

Another couple of copies available on the Glass website...

https://glassredux.bandcamp.com/merch
davedecay
Known user

Post by davedecay »

And sold out again already. FUCK.
rameses
Known user

Post by rameses »

Good news for those who missed it...

Black vinyl version out soon.

:D
It's nice to be liked,
clewsr
Known user

Post by clewsr »

Just to be clear, the CD available on that page is still the original version, not the John Rivers remaster. I got over excited yesterday, ordered the CD and then realised my likely mistake. David Barker got back to me super quick and confirmed.

the new Vinyl IS mastered by John.
davedecay
Known user

Post by davedecay »

Thanks for the heads up, I am fine with black vinyl.

28.47 United States Dollar (as of 6 August 2018).
purespace
Known user

Post by purespace »

I snagged one too
I think I feel it coming on
davedecay
Known user

Post by davedecay »

Looks like a black vinyl remastered reissue is due on 28 September!

https://www.normanrecords.com/records/1 ... -up-inside

Wondering what's the best place to order from for US delivery that doesn't cost a lot?
TheWarmth
Known user

Post by TheWarmth »

Look on Amazon.co.uk to see if they're going to carry it. I've ordered LPs from them before and the overseas shipping is cheap.
davedecay
Known user

Post by davedecay »

That's the option I went with, thank you. October 26 is the release date there.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07GJ51MZ1/

Looks about $25 USD delivered, so I can't complain.
mojo filters
Known user

Post by mojo filters »

Apologies if this has already been covered.

Right now I own FUI on vinyl and CD, both bought in excellent used condition many years ago, with the slim card CD case like a miniature version of the LP sleeve - both thankfully with the embossed shiny silver pedal art perfectly intact.

I bought the record purely as a luxury collectors item, with no immediate anticipation of doing more than admire the sleeve art. I followed eBay auctions for a long time, until I lucked into a near-perfect example for a much cheaper than average auction price. Until I invest in a good turntable + RIAA preamp, or just win the lottery - I'm sure that'll do for now, in terms of vinyl posterity collection purposes.

My 1993 Dedicated "mail order only" CD seems now to have suffered a bit in terms of creases in the card sleeve edges and split seams, probably due to a mixture of over-enthusiastic use, rough handling and inadequate storage over its many years of dutiful service. Fortunately the CD remains unblemished, and plays fine too.

I've noticed gatefold sleeve versions on sale new and reasonably priced, but nothing on the packaging or websites with info indicate this version is any different to the original - from a sonic perspective at least.

Are there different and / or better sounding CDs on sale now, compared with the original 1993 DEDCD 008 version I already have?

Whilst there is nothing wrong with my CD, it does mean I have to wind up the volume to play it in line with most other discs I listen to. I'm not in any hurry to upgrade, if that's possible - I'm just slightly confused about these new version(s)...

Interestingly in listening to it now for the first time in ages, I can clearly hear similarities in these live renditions with sounds I hear and love on the new album - especially the dynamic builds where the brass, keys and guitars really begin to crunch in the same crucial midrange frequencies where most of the interesting musical subtleties I'm enjoying on And Nothing Hurt similarly take place.
I'm like Evel Knievel, I get paid for the attempt. I didn't promise this shit would be good!
Dave Chappelle
Laz69
Known user

Post by Laz69 »

As was previously confirmed, only the recent Glass vinyl reissue was remastered. The reissue CD was not remastered, so don't imagine it sounds any better than initial CD version.
mojo filters
Known user

Post by mojo filters »

Laz69 wrote: Tue Sep 25, 2018 9:33 am As was previously confirmed, only the recent Glass vinyl reissue was remastered. The reissue CD was not remastered, so don't imagine it sounds any better than initial CD version.
Sorry, I did read through, but was still unclear whether the current CD was identical to the original. It could have been derived from another source, and not necessarily a better one. The Discogs entry does not explicitly state the source of the 2017 CD.

It seems a shame John Rivers didn't also produce a new CD master too, whilst already familiar with the source material. I guess if Jason used some of his PP, LAGWAFIS and LICD studio / mixing techniques on FUI, there may be some panned low frequency instruments requiring hard work to carefully sum where required, amongst other vinyl specific needs.

Maybe Sony / Glass have plenty of their existing gatefold reissue CD, in which case it would make more sense - assuming those are not exactly selling like the proverbial hot cakes.
I'm like Evel Knievel, I get paid for the attempt. I didn't promise this shit would be good!
Dave Chappelle
clewsr
Known user

Post by clewsr »

Remastered vinyl release. The current CD release is NOT remastered -

https://www.thedigitalfix.com/music/con ... nyl-issue/
BzaInSpace
Site Admin

Post by BzaInSpace »

clewsr wrote: Wed Oct 03, 2018 12:08 pm Remastered vinyl release. The current CD release is NOT remastered -

https://www.thedigitalfix.com/music/con ... nyl-issue/
This seems like such a bizarre lost opportunity - I would argue that this live album is the only real Spiritualized® release that demands a proper remaster across all formats.
O P 8
BzaInSpace
Site Admin

Post by BzaInSpace »

good dope/good fun wrote: Sat May 19, 2018 1:31 am I don’t know what’s taking BZA so long to remaster the Maginassett show.
I've just seen this... what show??
O P 8
good dope/good fun
Known user

Post by good dope/good fun »

BzaInSpace wrote: Wed Oct 03, 2018 6:01 pm
good dope/good fun wrote: Sat May 19, 2018 1:31 am I don’t know what’s taking BZA so long to remaster the Maginassett show.
I've just seen this... what show??
Goteberg, Sweden 02-05-1993
It's been highly debated that the pitch of the recording is slowed down.
Sway.
BzaInSpace
Site Admin

Post by BzaInSpace »

Sway indeed. I'll get on at that at some point...

Anyway, taken from Dom's Drowned in Sound interview with Jason regarding this reissue:

Glass Redux are reissuing the Fucked Up Inside live album on vinyl which was recorded in Chicago in 1992. How do you feel about unauthorised releases such as this and do you think the record itself gives a true representation of who Spiritualized are today?

I'm always quite dubious about this kind of thing. I don't know a lot about this release except I believe it has something to do with the former manager of Spacemen 3 who we're currently taking to court. I'm not sure if Dave Barker is fronting that? Nobody has told me the true story so I can't really offer much in the way of a comment other than to ask people to stay away from those releases. I had no idea it was being released.

So it's basically a bootleg. With all proceeds going to that bastard Palmer.
O P 8
mojo filters
Known user

Post by mojo filters »

My understanding was that Palmer has merely licensed FUI from (presumably) Sony, since his own label never had Spiritualized under contract - to the best of my knowledge.

Hence the mechanical royalties due would be paid under whatever contractual obligation Sony owes to Jason, rather than Palmer allegedly underpaying royalties via contracts signed to his own label.

Obviously Palmer still makes money, but this does not look like the same situation as the Spacemen 3 issue. At least this has given some folks the opportunity to own what I assume originally was a rare album, though it doesn't help me with no record playing device!
Dave Chappelle
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

a slight side note on this..
the (excellent) FUI remastering was done at Woodbine Studios. if you go their website there's some nice reviews and comments about it. one of them sounded strangely familiar.. I did a quick search of the message board and it's only a post from our very own Olan :) they must have been lurking on the boards.

http://www.woodbinestreet.com/

(it's the comment that begins "The FUI remaster is really excellent..")

in relation to this.. I never actually twigged that Woodbine Studios is in Leamington Spa. I was born there and a few years ago I lived literally round the corner from where this studio is located. they've recorded lots of cool stuff there, including Ghost Town by The Specials, Swell Maps, and some of the Chameleons album from when they reformed. the studio has moved from another location in town though, so all that stuff was probably done there... I'm not gonna let that get in the way of fairly banal claim to fame though!
olan
Known user

Post by olan »

angelsighs wrote: Sat May 09, 2020 10:51 am a slight side note on this..
the (excellent) FUI remastering was done at Woodbine Studios. if you go their website there's some nice reviews and comments about it. one of them sounded strangely familiar.. I did a quick search of the message board and it's only a post from our very own Olan :) they must have been lurking on the boards.

http://www.woodbinestreet.com/

(it's the comment that begins "The FUI remaster is really excellent..")

in relation to this.. I never actually twigged that Woodbine Studios is in Leamington Spa. I was born there and a few years ago I lived literally round the corner from where this studio is located. they've recorded lots of cool stuff there, including Ghost Town by The Specials, Swell Maps, and some of the Chameleons album from when they reformed. the studio has moved from another location in town though, so all that stuff was probably done there... I'm not gonna let that get in the way of fairly banal claim to fame though!
Cheeky Cunts :D .

I like the way they left my cheap shot at Space Age in there though. :lol:
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

Haha he should pay you royalties on any future mastering work he gets off the back of that :)
At least your dig at Space Age has been immortalised