Spiritualized Primavera Sound Barcelona 30 May 2018

For new sounds, old sounds and favourite sound discussion...

Moderators: sunny, BzaInSpace, runcible, spzretent

Oasis22
New user

Re: Spiritualized Primavera Sound Barcelona 30 May 2018

Post by Oasis22 »

I counted 10 'live streams" I keep giving them my credit card number, but nothing... :roll: haha. Only joking btw.
simonkeeping
Known user

Post by simonkeeping »

Just found this: https://instagram.com/p/Bjaf-P7AIhR/
Looks like the same set as the last shows...
http://www.soundcloud.com/haarlemriots
good dope/good fun
Known user

Post by good dope/good fun »

Anyone get an audio rip yet?
mkb
Known user

Post by mkb »

simonkeeping wrote: Wed May 30, 2018 8:57 pm Just found this: https://instagram.com/p/Bjaf-P7AIhR/
Looks like the same set as the last shows...
From what I've read, the encore on that list wasn't played.
clewsr
Known user

Post by clewsr »

Spiritualized [MINI Stage; 2:15 a.m.]

__
__Photo by Erez Avissar

Jason Pierce of Spiritualized cuts an odd but surprisingly compelling figure onstage. He's clad head-to-toe in white and wears the wraparound shades that never seem to leave his head. He's slightly hunched over his microphone, like it takes just a bit too much energy to stand perfectly straight. When he reaches out to hit a guitar pedal, his movements are nothing if not efficient, getting the job done with a minimal amount of exertion. And he stands facing perpendicular to the audience, only allowing himself to turn in a 180-degree axis that never allows for full frontal contact with the masses there to see him. You can't really tell if he's enjoying himself or feeling miserable, but somehow that is all beside the point: this is what the man DOES, the thing that gives his life meaning. And his songs, both simple and grandiose, help listeners find meaning, too.

The band opened with "Hey Jane" from Sweet Heart Sweet Light, and it was brilliant. With two women singing backup and keyboards that generally leaned toward "church organ," it was an ideal mix of heaven-gazing gospel and psychedelic rock'n'roll thump. The peaks were many: "Walking With Jesus", "Soul on Fire", "Oh Baby", a gorgeous "Ladies and Gentlemen We Are Floating in Space".

This band was made for festivals. Spiritualized's music is infinitely scalable. The songs build from their quiet see-saw chords into epic howls against the absurdity of human suffering and death, and they can be pumped up to fill virtually any space. The contrast between Pierce's frailty and the sheer overwhelming volume perfectly mirrors the band's primary theme: the grasp for something larger and more significant in the face of human weakness.
clewsr
Known user

Post by clewsr »

So no hints of an album release any time soon! I wonder if it will be the same set list in France in September?
simonkeeping
Known user

Post by simonkeeping »

I guess it was a festival so fairly standard to play a ‘greatest hits’ show but I’d guess if he had new material in the offing he’d want to play it?
http://www.soundcloud.com/haarlemriots
sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

Hey Jane, WWJ and Oh Baby aren't on the setlist.
Is the reviewer clueless or did Jason switch it up at the last minute? Or could that review be of a previous Spiritualized Primavera set?
Nineteen...Nineteen...Six Five
mkb
Known user

Post by mkb »

I think it must be from a few years ago, because the stage name and time are wrong.
clewsr
Known user

Post by clewsr »

Sorry for that!
sublow
Known user

Post by sublow »

Laz69
Known user

Post by Laz69 »

Nail. On. Head.
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

Laz69 wrote: Fri Jun 01, 2018 8:02 am
Nail. On. Head.
yeah obviously I didn't see this gig but that review seems to sum up for me how that setlist would come across.
the problem with Stop Your Crying and Soul on Fire isn't that they are bad songs per se (I like them both) it's just that there's not a lot you can really do in the live arena to take them somewhere else. and they are quite similar songs too.