Jason and epigrams?

For new sounds, old sounds and favourite sound discussion...

Moderators: sunny, BzaInSpace, runcible, spzretent

foreverfree
New user

Jason and epigrams?

Post by foreverfree »

Long shot but... I like it when Jason takes a given phrase and then twists it ironically for a lyric.
Is it fair to call these epigrams? Or are they something else? And are there other examples?

- "They say that out of sight is out of mind, but I think out of mind is out of sight"
- "Don't just do something, sit around instead"
- "Then she kissed me and it felt like a hit"
BessieBoporBach
Known user

Re: Jason and epigrams?

Post by BessieBoporBach »

This is a rhetorical scheme called antimetabole. Another example is "Ask not what your country can do for you; ask what you can do for your country."

It is a type of parallelism (or more specifically, a type of chiasmus) where the major elements of a statement are repeated in reverse order.

Jason obviously really got into it after LAGWAFIS.
SpaceLine
Known user

Post by SpaceLine »

BessieBoporBach wrote: Wed Jun 13, 2018 1:42 pm This is a rhetorical scheme called antimetabole. Another example is "Ask not what your country can do for you; ask what you can do for your country."

It is a type of parallelism (or more specifically, a type of chiasmus) where the major elements of a statement are repeated in reverse order.

Jason obviously really got into it after LAGWAFIS.
26$ is back!
:lol:
jack white
Known user

Post by jack white »

J could’ve maybe made it as a comedian/prophet if he hadn’t become a rock n roll savant/prophet.

Not only his witticisms but his deadpan delivery/sense of timing:
All I wanted was a taste/ Just enough to waste the day/ Just enough to make me sick
Let it flow

+ other examples.
gonna burn brightly
for a while
Look--NoFingerprints
New user

Post by Look--NoFingerprints »

Here are some I've noticed but some might not apply specifically to what you're talking about.

Come together: "First he jumped and then he looked"
I Think I'm in Love: the whole song, in a way
Broken Heart: "Though I have a broken heart, I'm too busy to be heartbroken"

Do It All Over Again: "You gotta hope for the best and the best looks good now baby"
Don't Just Do Something: "Don't just do something, sit around instead", "I'm good for nothing, nothing is good enough for me", "I get me all confused, and the reasons why are confusing too"
Out of Sight: "Out of sight is always out of mind, I think out of mind is out of sight", "I was just looking for some peace of mind, I just couldn't find a peace of mine", "If I am good I could add years to my life. I would rather add some life to my years"
The Twelve Steps: "The only time I'm drink and drug free is when I get my drugs and drink for free"

This Little Life of Mine: "This little life of mine, I'm gonna let it slide"
She Kissed Me (It Felt Like A Hit): "'Cause then she kissed me and it felt like a hit"
Hold On: "'Cause death cannot part us if life already has"

Get What You Deserve: "Used to care but I took care of that"
Too Late: "I won't love you more than I love you today"
Headin' For The Top Now: the play on Mary, Mary, Quite Contrary
Freedom: "Freedom is yours if you want it, but you just don't know what you need"
I Am What I Am: the whole song