Last Spiritualized Album?

For new sounds, old sounds and favourite sound discussion...

Moderators: sunny, BzaInSpace, runcible, spzretent

Will And Nothing Hurt be the last Spiritualized studio album?

Yes
47%
No
53%

Total votes: 30

toomilk
Known user

Last Spiritualized Album?

Post by toomilk »

So what do you guys think? I doubt it will really be the last one. Remember when Jason said he'd never do a Don't Look Back show? And then it was supposed to be a one-off, then a two-off, then a four-off, etc etc.
Jasonsmith
Known user

Re: Last Spiritualized Album?

Post by Jasonsmith »

Hmmm, the nods to previous albums in the video to "I'm your Man" made me think that this might well be the last...
MODLAB
Site Admin

Post by MODLAB »

I personally believe it will be the last.

:)

M
Design.
veiko
Known user

Post by veiko »

Next Spiritualized album in 2027.
veiko
Known user

Post by veiko »

I mean, guys, come on, whats up with the pessimism? New album ahead, but so many are already burying him alive. Gigs are ahead, come on, good times freaking ahead. Yeah sure, no harm, playing around with predictions, but it's just... fruitless. Our mainman only three miles from space, lets show some support and stop this burial.
selib
Known user

Post by selib »

I think the reason why he said this was gonna be his last album is that the recording process stressed him out so much (home recording everything...)

I think once he gets a well deserved break he may go back to Spiritualized at some point.
Or he might just continue releasing music under his own name. Either way I don't think this is the last music we've heard from jason :)
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

obviously there's no way of knowing but my feeling would be that this is not the last album. he probably feels that way now after all the work that went into this one. but he'll get the itch again.

what would be the alternative? just do the various side projects under the J Spaceman name?
Jasonsmith
Known user

Post by Jasonsmith »

Given the comment asking whether he "was still doing the Spaceman thing" may be he could do J Traffic Cop, or J Construction Worker, or J American Sailor ... :lol:
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

selib wrote: Tue Jun 26, 2018 9:43 am I think the reason why he said this was gonna be his last album is that the recording process stressed him out so much (home recording everything...)

I think once he gets a well deserved break he may go back to Spiritualized at some point.
Or he might just continue releasing music under his own name. Either way I don't think this is the last music we've heard from jason :)
I think this is right on the money and hopefully once Jason starts playing live consistenly his battery will be recharged. He has always said Spiritualized is really a live thing.
If it is his last LP I thank him from the bottom of my heart for his entire catalog. No other band has had an effect on me or my personal life more than Spiritualized.
http://www.lilmoxie.com
Detroit, Music, Sports and Other Stuff(including Spiritualized, Spacemen 3)
sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

I would have said emphatically NO before I saw the video. All that self referencing though reminds me of JAMC circa Munki which definitely had an end of times feel about it.
However, I do believe Jason just had a case of the "Write Record Release Blues", and after getting in the live saddle again he will be rejuvenated.
If he does retire the Spiritualized moniker I feel it won't be for long and he'll be back as quickly as Orbital and LCD Soundsystem were after their "final" album/tours.
Nineteen...Nineteen...Six Five
mh
Known user

Post by mh »

I'm saying "yes" on the following grounds.

Jason quite clearly has two creative outlets: his solo stuff/collaborations as "J Spaceman" and his band-based work as "Spiritualized". There's a distinction in the type of work he does with each, in that "J Spaceman" tends to be more experimental, he knocks them out quicker, and it doesn't really matter if they don't sell a million (or even ten thousand) copies because they don't cost a huge amount to make either.

"Spiritualized" on the other hand is a huge undertaking, there are standards and expectations to meet, and as time has gone by this has resulted in the more experimental edge that was in earlier Spiritualized records retreating somewhat.

The process of making a Spiritualized record also quite clearly stresses and exhausts him.

So it's "yes, but..." because that "but" signifies that he's not going to stop making music, that his work as "J Spaceman" certainly can continue, and that he can derive a lot of personal satisfaction from it without the baggage that goes with making a Spiritualized record.

This is going to come across as more negative than I probably intend, but I do have a sense that Spiritualized has probably run it's course. He's achieved a lot and given us all some wonderful sounds under that banner, but creatively I have a sense that he really wants to change course and feels that he can't do so as Spiritualized.
BessieBoporBach
Known user

Post by BessieBoporBach »

mh wrote: Tue Jun 26, 2018 8:29 pm I'm saying "yes" on the following grounds.

Jason quite clearly has two creative outlets: his solo stuff/collaborations as "J Spaceman" and his band-based work as "Spiritualized". There's a distinction in the type of work he does with each, in that "J Spaceman" tends to be more experimental, he knocks them out quicker, and it doesn't really matter if they don't sell a million (or even ten thousand) copies because they don't cost a huge amount to make either.

"Spiritualized" on the other hand is a huge undertaking, there are standards and expectations to meet, and as time has gone by this has resulted in the more experimental edge that was in earlier Spiritualized records retreating somewhat.

The process of making a Spiritualized record also quite clearly stresses and exhausts him.

So it's "yes, but..." because that "but" signifies that he's not going to stop making music, that his work as "J Spaceman" certainly can continue, and that he can derive a lot of personal satisfaction from it without the baggage that goes with making a Spiritualized record.

This is going to come across as more negative than I probably intend, but I do have a sense that Spiritualized has probably run it's course. He's achieved a lot and given us all some wonderful sounds under that banner, but creatively I have a sense that he really wants to change course and feels that he can't do so as Spiritualized.
This is the closest to my read of the situation, and a pivot toward making more music under his own name (rather than the Spiritualized name) would seem to be indicated by his two new songs being credited to "Spiritualized featuring J. Spaceman."

I don't expect the Spiritualized name will be retired entirely, but rather it may function like Crazy Horse does for Neil Young.

Songs in A&E was much closer to a solo album than any of the other Spiritualized records and it probably would have been better received by fans had it been one. Sweet Heart Sweet Light was sort of an attempt to correct that by making a record closer to LAGWAFIS.
good dope/good fun
Known user

Post by good dope/good fun »

Last Spiritualized album was like 4 albums ago.
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

good dope/good fun wrote: Wed Jun 27, 2018 2:54 am Last Spiritualized album was like 4 albums ago.
witty.. and of course people are entitled to their opinions of the latter records. but surely the only person who gets to decide what Spiritualized is, is Jason Pierce?

that does lead me on to a point though- as said above, it's true that the experimental edge has largely retreated into the side projects. but again it's only Jason who is really deciding to do this-
he's the boss of the band so it's not like he's got collaborators saying "oi, Jase, keep that free jazz racket to yourself mate!". for whatever reason he's decided that Spiritualized records are centred more around classic songwriting and also seem to be geared around being a 'big statement' rather than just making music for music's sake
heisenberg
Known user

Post by heisenberg »

Maybe Spiritualized will just make singles and eps from now on? I'll be sad if this is his last record but I imagine he would still record in some capacity or produce or play on other people's records. He's probably in demand for studio work from other bands, no?
veiko
Known user

Post by veiko »

good dope/good fun wrote: Wed Jun 27, 2018 2:54 am Last Spiritualized album was like 4 albums ago.
Even so modest? Only "Friendly Fire" and "Blue On Blue" are real :wink:
stegraham
Known user

Post by stegraham »

If Jason is finding it time consuming and stressful to produce the Spiritualized records, then maybe he could do with a little help? I understand there's a fellow called Soinc Boom who produces quite a few records nowadays..... :D
SpaceLine
Known user

Post by SpaceLine »

Last Spiritualized album until he needs to pay the bills. He has kids, they cost money, this isn’t the last record. Unless he really needs cash, then reforming spacemen 3 makes more sense.
clewsr
Known user

Post by clewsr »

SpaceLine wrote: Fri Jun 29, 2018 3:39 am Last Spiritualized album until he needs to pay the bills. He has kids, they cost money, this isn’t the last record. Unless he really needs cash, then reforming spacemen 3 makes more sense.
I thinks there is some truth in that, the side projects are never going to make any money.
heisenberg
Known user

Post by heisenberg »

clewsr wrote: Fri Jun 29, 2018 9:12 am
SpaceLine wrote: Fri Jun 29, 2018 3:39 am Last Spiritualized album until he needs to pay the bills. He has kids, they cost money, this isn’t the last record. Unless he really needs cash, then reforming spacemen 3 makes more sense.
I thinks there is some truth in that, the side projects are never going to make any money.
I bet records don't make much money for anyone any more either. He probably made more from benacassim this year than he will from the album. But I know Spaceman likes his records to inform the live shows and vice versa and that he loves touring and playing so I'm hoping he'll keep recording too. I'd love eps or live eps if the idea of an album doesn't appeal to him anymore.

I just hope with new management behind him he gets a lot more support than he's had in recent years. I feel like the new song and video has been more visible in the media and online than anything since LICD. Maybe it could be the beginning of a new era.
mojo filters
Known user

Post by mojo filters »

SpaceLine wrote: Fri Jun 29, 2018 3:39 am Unless he really needs cash, then reforming spacemen 3 makes more sense.
Do folks really want to see some financially motivated quasi-reformation of Spacemen 3, or even any kind of "reunion"?

I think both main artists have moved on significantly, and there is nothing I'd want to see there.

Now a new Spectrum album would indeed interest me...
I'm like Evel Knievel, I get paid for the attempt. I didn't promise this shit would be good!
Dave Chappelle
selib
Known user

Post by selib »

I mean I wouldn't mind a S3 reunion for some shows...
SpaceLine
Known user

Post by SpaceLine »

I agree that live shows make the money, he could probably make the most by reforming sp3 for the big festivals.
In terms of new music I don’t care which moniker he uses, I just hope this isn’t the last we hear from him. Personally I’d pay a lot of money to get access to any unreleased music he has, or any live recordings. A vault, like Neil, or something like Dylan’s bootleg series.

If he ever put out any live stuff from 1994 I’d sell my house and my kids wouldn’t be going to college...
spacemanrich
Known user

Post by spacemanrich »

What's all this rubbish talk about SP3. Jason doesn't like Pete. End of story. No SP3 Reunion. Pete burned those bridges long ago and it can't be bought w/ money $$$. :oops:
SpaceLine
Known user

Post by SpaceLine »

Are you really that naive? Or just really poor? :wink:

Seriously though, we are just having some fun speculating.

Verve were never reforming. Stone Roses too.

Lots of bands reform.

When they need the money. Fact of life.
heisenberg
Known user

Post by heisenberg »

Every time Sonic performs he plays the same songs he would back in the day with Spacemen 3 30 years ago. Jason still plays WWJ, TMTTOS and TWNBTS and CDE. Arguably no need even for a live reformation. I think it would be a big step backwards creatively for both of them. I'm more interested to see where they go from here.
davedecay
Known user

Post by davedecay »

Maybe they could do a S3 reunion with a wall between them on stage. :mrgreen:
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

good chance that Juliette might be the main bread winner for the kids?

of course it could be that this was a very off the cuff comment (along the lines of "after all this work I can't even *think* about making another record!") or he just thought it was a nice line to get some clicks for the interview :)

that said, if the next album takes as long as this one he'll be heading for his late 50s. surely you get to an age where you wonder if this rock n roll lark is worth it.