Teenage Fanclub news...

For new sounds, old sounds and favourite sound discussion...

Moderators: sunny, BzaInSpace, runcible, spzretent

Laz69
Known user

Teenage Fanclub news...

Post by Laz69 »

https://www.teenagefanclub.com/news-1/2018update

I really don't know what to say about this. TFC are a band who i have always assumed to be rock solid, best mates and would play until they ALL decided it was time to stop.

I had joking started a rumour back when the gigs were announced that this was their farewell shows and that it was because they were all working on separate projects... i wasn't actually WANTING that to happen! :cry:

Joking aside, not only has, for me, their best song writer and singer now left the band, i fear that continuing without him its doomed to fail. I don't imagine they'd be playing any of his songs live as no one else could do them justice other than Gerry, but that also means some of their best tracks are relegated to history. Doesn't seem right. I think it would have been much better to use these shows and the LP reissues as a farewell and gone out on a high.

Plenty of replacement bass players out there... but there will only ever be one Gerry. And thats what made them TFC.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yT8aHVVeFDQ

:cry:
Ian
Known user

Re: Teenage Fanclub news...

Post by Ian »

I agree that TFC without Gerry doesn't really count as TFC. But I've not been taken by the last few albums in any case, so I can't get too upset about this. It would have been lovely to see the last show in London, which their website says is still on sale, but it appears to be sold out now.

I sort-of agree that Gerry was the best songwriter, but when you've got a Lennon and a McCartney in the band, plus a Harrison who comes up with the occasional smash, why take sides?

Very interesting that Brendan will be joining them for shows later in the year. I thought it was Raymond that had a problem with him rather than Gerry?

And don't lose all hope... The first Suede gig I saw after Bernard left was one of the best shows I've ever been at.
I have a passion sweet Lord...
http://www.spacemen3.co.uk
Laz69
Known user

Post by Laz69 »

I think its because they are my hometown band and they have ALWAYS been part of my musical journey/environment. Christ, i say hi to Norman on an almost weekly basis!

Bands come and go and some bands have line up changes, but Gerry is such a big part of TFC, and IMO being the best singer/songwriter of the three (and thats not to take anything away from Norman or Raymond) it just seems too big a loss for it to be the same. I know its all sounds so melodramatic, but TFC have been such a big part of my life, it would almost have been better if they had just ended the band completely and the remaining members moved onto something else.

I've seen a few people use the John/Paul/George analogy now... its weird seeing people compare them to that trio but TFC could be considered a modern day equivalent; three very strong songwriters who the fans all love in different ways and now one of them ones is off. Sounds better than the post-Robbie Take That comparisons i've read... :lol: :lol: :lol:

I know Brendo and Gerry were really close back in the day and i wasn't aware that Raymond had a beef with Brendo, but Brendo did come back for the Bandwagonesque shows a few years ago and everyone looked like they were having a blast. Maybe the passage of time had healed some of those rifts!

The wording of the announcement doesn't seem right - not the kind of announcement that makes me think its very amicable at all. Its very clinical, very "legal" and that makes me think that something really bad has happened between them all and they've had to choose their words carefully. That bothers me too as that doesn't tie in with my image of them all being best buds until the end of time :(

They do say not to put your heros up on a pedestal...

I'm off to cry into my big Gerry pillow.

:(
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

Laz69 wrote: Mon Aug 20, 2018 3:50 pm https://www.teenagefanclub.com/news-1/2018update

I really don't know what to say about this. TFC are a band who i have always assumed to be rock solid, best mates and would play until they ALL decided it was time to stop.
I said a very similar thing when I heard the news- this is all the more strange because they don't seem the sort of band to have the usual cliched band tensions. their music always seemed so warm and inviting and I always imagined that reflected them as people and their friendships.

people like The Verve? yep can definitely imagine their relationships being tense- their music is full of angst and tension. Teenage Fanclub? not so much. as you say they seemed like mates until the end!

this is going to make those full album shows even more of a celebration, no? even though they've got those other dates booked, for many this will be the final bow by the REAL Teenage Fanclub. especially with the former members coming back to really make it a celebration of their career
Laz69
Known user

Post by Laz69 »

Gerry made a staement on Facebook earlier explaining the situation and the parting of ways. Seems he just ain't up for far off tours any more but doesn't want the band to lose out on opportunities, so it seems it was decided it would be best if he left.

No fisticuffs, no stealing of girlfriends and no real drama other than Gerry just wanting to cut back on the touring - and a gentleman to the end! :)
I thought I should say a few words about the Teenage Fanclub situation.

From the outset I didn’t want to do these particular shows, Hong Kong, Japan, Australia and New Zealand, specifically because of the flying involved. I flew around the world last year and it’s not something that I would want to do too often in my life. I equally didn’t want to stop anyone from making a living and so it’s completely acceptable to me that the band and crew are able to go ahead with the tour. I didn’t leave the group and I wasn’t kicked out, the idea of this tour eventually became a fork in the road and we have just agreed to go our separate ways. It’s not ideal for any of us but it’s as amicable as it can possibly be. We played a couple of shows at the weekend and I think the group’s still sounding pretty good. We have a couple more festival shows next week and then in October and November we have our full album nights where we get the chance to hook up with Brendan and Paul again. All good.

Change is natural and constant and I completely welcome it. All I can say is that I feel very lucky to have met Norman and Raymond all those years ago. Good innings. Thanks.
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

That's a relief :)