Primal Scream : The Original Memphis Recordings

For new sounds, old sounds and favourite sound discussion...

Moderators: sunny, BzaInSpace, runcible, spzretent

mkb
Known user

Give Out But Don't Give Up — The Original Memphis Recordings

Post by mkb »

https://twitter.com/ScreamOfficial/stat ... 66081?s=19

In 1993 Primal Scream went to Memphis to make an album with Tom Dowd and the Muscle Shoals rhythm section, that album never saw the light of day, until now.....

Following the recent discovery of these tracks in a box lurking in Andrew Innes’ basement, Primal Scream will release the original studio recordings from Memphis of the tracks that eventually became their 1994 album ‘Give Out But Don’t Give Up’.

Teaming up with legendary producer Tom Dowd and the Muscle Shoals rhythm section of David Hood (bass) and Roger Hawkins (drums) at Ardent Studios in Memphis, the resulting recordings from those classic sessions showcase the more country soul, rock’n’roll side to a band who continue to surprise. It’s Primal Scream as you’ve never heard them before.

Dowd’s deft production, coupled with the merging of this sublime rhythm section and one of the UK’s best ever bands, led to the creation of nine glorious tracks that run the gamut between blues, gospel and brilliant songwriting, available for the first time.

Release Date: 12th October 2018

CD1: Tom Dowd Album Mix

Jailbird
Rocks
Call on Me
Everybody Needs Somebody
Sad and Blue
Big Jet Plane
Free
Jesus
(I'm Gonna) Cry Myself Blind
CD2: Tom Dowd Album Mix

Billy / To Love Somebody
Memphis Groove (Improvised Song Jam)
Sad And Blue (Early Rehearsal Jam)
Blue Moon Of Kentucky / Trying To Get To You
Big Jet Plane (Early Rehearsal Jam / Tom Dowd Instructions)
Free (Bobby Vocal / Full Band Rehearsal Jam)
Everybody Needs Somebody (Alternative Recording)
Country Guitar
Jailbird Guitar
Jesus (Monitor Mix)
Funky Jam (Original Recording)
Free (Early Rehearsal Sitar /Piano / Bobby Vocal)
Call On Me (Monitor Mix)
Cry Myself Blind (Monitor Mix)
All I Have To Do Is Dream
TheWarmth
Known user

Primal Scream : The Original Memphis Recordings

Post by TheWarmth »

https://faroutmagazine.co.uk/primal-scr ... ecordings/

This looks pretty interesting. I am a fan of some of these songs, but GOBDGU is a huge mess of an album. Maybe this will be a more satisfying listen.
beaker73
Known user

Re: Primal Scream : The Original Memphis Recordings

Post by beaker73 »

mkb started a thread on this also.
It’s an odd choice for this type of release, since GODGU isn’t too well regarded. It’s a mixed bag, but I quite like it myself, but I’m in the minority, I think. Anyway, I’m interested in hearing this, but it’s not an automatic buy. Especially since the vinyl release doesn’t seem to include the bonus tracks.
"I've been drinking all night long, but my hands are steady"
spacemanrich
Known user

Post by spacemanrich »

If the best songs were included in, " Give Out .. " then the Memphis Recordings are going to be good or better ?
That album was shite up their w/ " Sonic Flower Groove. "
TheWarmth
Known user

Post by TheWarmth »

I love "Jailbird" and "Rocks." I know they're derivative, but I think they sound fantastic and they're just extremely enjoyable songs. For the most part, I could live without the rest of the album, but I'm still very curious to hear this.
herman
Known user

Post by herman »

I love 'call on me'.
"Thank you"
BzaInSpace
Site Admin

Post by BzaInSpace »

Great news this evening, and it's been a day of total positive stuff so this is very, very welcome indeed.

Totally underrated album, and it's one that has lived in my car for years now. Wild to think I've loved this album since 1996 when I first heard it.

Anyway, every now and again it gets played really loud and never ceases to sounds amazing.

I think - and I've said this many times before on here - it's completely overlooked.

It's an album of three parts really: the irreristible rockers that remain ageless and sound fantastic whenever you require a bit more bounce to the ounce, the Clinton/Lynch mixed deep funkadelic tracks, and the beautiful soulful country ballads.

Anyway, signed set duly ordered.
O P 8
johnnyboy
Known user

Post by johnnyboy »

I'm a big fan of Give Out, maybe except for Free and even if the album as a whole is a touch too produced and slick. I had great times around that era, especially the live shows and it's an album that's stuck with me. Bobby always said he's wanted a Velvets Third album kind of sound, some of that came to light with the Star B Sides like the lovely Jesus and How Does It Feel To Belong, both amazing tracks for me and I'm guessing that Jesus is the one on the Memphis Recordings? It's no Screamadelica or Vanishing Point or XTRMNTR but it is Give Out But Don't Give Up, and I like that. Really intrigued to hear these versions. My mate from Japan was messaging about it over the weekend hoping t'd be the "Brownhouse" sessions but looks like it's not. Maybe they'll turn up in another of Innes' boxes.
TheWarmth
Known user

Post by TheWarmth »

If they wanted an album reminiscent of the Velvet's self-titled, they sure didn't commit to that concept. It seems to me that what they really set out to do was their version of Sticky Fingers.
johnnyboy
Known user

Post by johnnyboy »

is wrote: Tue Aug 21, 2018 4:18 pm Image

"We wanna be wombling free to do what we wanna do."
Haha, now that's a strange set up.
ABOCA
Known user

Post by ABOCA »

I went to the Classic Album Sundays playback of this last night and it sounds excellent. Every track is recognizable (Jesus is actually I'll Be There For You) but different enough to give it a more soulful, organic feel. There are some beautiful Robert Young guitar solos which come to the fore and overall it has more of a feel of an album than perhaps Give Out... ever did.

The vinyl is pressed over two discs, despite the total length only being forty five minutes long, and plays at 45RPM for a much clearer, harder sound.

There was also a fifty minute interview last night with Bobby, Andrew & Martin which apparently can be seen in full on the Classic Album Sundays Facebook page. It was really informative if any one is interested in any background information on the whole history of this. The three of them came back after the playback for a Q & A session. As Andrew Innes said, his first reaction when he heard these tracks again almost 25 years later, was "Why the fuck did we ever change this."
freddiehubbard
Known user

Post by freddiehubbard »

looking fwd to checking this out this eve... I couldn't stand ''Give Out ... '' when it first came out, felt like a really weak pastiche and a massive disappointment after Screamadelica. dunno why hoping these tracks will feel more 'authentic' if that makes any sense.
niamhm
Known user

Post by niamhm »

Its an interesting one, certainly sounds lush and hangs more like an album, a Rolling Stones album possibly, I mean I like GOBDGU, I liked it at the time an played it to death and the version of Jesus/Ill Be There For You here is a real gem, can`t help thinking that releasing this after Screamadelica would have been an even bigger " WTF is this? " than GOBDGU was to folks looking for Screamadelica II, literally zero concessions to dance culture in these versions that I can see, will be listening to it some more over the weekend I think,
freddiehubbard
Known user

Post by freddiehubbard »

enjoying this quite a bit absolutely hated the original elpee when it came out. .. some of the rehearsals and jams are purdy neat too. loving the horns and Denise's vox
olan
Known user

Post by olan »

freddiehubbard wrote: Tue Oct 16, 2018 1:17 pm loving the horns and Denise's vox
One of the best things about going to watch A Certain Ratio these days is the brass and Denise's vocals. Add to this her brother's drumming and Jez's bass playing..... 8)
freddiehubbard
Known user

Post by freddiehubbard »

bluddy hell didn't realise ACR were still a going concern!
olan
Known user

Post by olan »

freddiehubbard wrote: Wed Oct 17, 2018 12:34 pm bluddy hell didn't realise ACR were still a going concern!
They have just released a new compilation LP called Set with some new tunes on it. They are signed to Mute now and are very busy live too.
mkb
Known user

Post by mkb »

There's a Q&A with Bobby, Innes and Duffy here: https://youtu.be/zFuBB0uvBts
johnnyboy
Known user

Post by johnnyboy »

Looking forward to the BBC4 doc when it airs on TV. Bobby had a Q&A and album signing session at Rough Trade East last night too.
Just spotted the vid for Big Jet Plane online https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tMpY-vjLjTM Nice images and great to see Throb in his element. So gutting that he's no longer with us. I've got so used to hearing the original that this sounds a bit weird really, still pretty nice vibes though.
davedecay
Known user

Post by davedecay »

Found a copy of the UK promo LP "Echo Dek" while on a mini business vacation to Virginia.

https://www.discogs.com/Primal-Scream-E ... ase/649228

It rarely sells in the USA, and typically between $13 and $33. I found it below the lowest there, it's been on my want-list for a few years now!

Looking forward to these Memphis Recordings, I would love to scout a good price on the vinyl LPs if possible.
ungere
Known user

Post by ungere »

Bobby chats with Janice Long. Listen at 1:14:40

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m0000tzq
BzaInSpace
Site Admin

Post by BzaInSpace »

Thanks for that. It's surprising in some ways that the BBC let Gillespie voice his critique of the incoming Brexshit thing at such length. Good on Janice Long...

Anyway, this is a very welcome release. I guess in the current political climate the original neon Confederate flag cover would be considered undesirable... a shame really, it's a truly beautiful sleeve, with Eddie Hazel on the flipside.

The 'new' original version has it's moments for sure - although I'm uncertain that the somewhat legendary Jim Dickinson recording made it onto this...

From Select (1994): Gillespie is most unhappy with 'Big Jet Plane', one of the keynote tracks, a lazy, sorrowful ballad. He feels they have misunderstood the soul of it. Late one night, the Scream decide to have one more go at it. But they need a keyboard player, and Duffy's back in England convalescing from the stabbing. The obvious when-in-Memphis name to call is Jim Dickinson, the shady, ubiquitous James Luther. Dowd makes a call or two. Dickinson blows out a session across town and duly appears, grinning wolfishiy. "It's a full moon tonight," he observes. "It's a blue moon," Dowd corrects him.

Although Gillespie's not too clear on the lunar specIfics, he's well aware that Memphis folk believe that a blue moon is invariably accompanied by magical and mysterious happenings, and that's good enough for him. He warms up with a few old Sun Sessions tunes while Dickinson mixes up the organ. Finally, they're ready. lnnes plays an acoustic. Robert Young takes the electric. And as Bobby sings the vocal he captures all the sense of regret and redemption he's aiming for on 'Big Jet Plane'.

"That," he says drowsily afterwards, "is how I always imagined great records were made."

Thing is, I still love that original album they made, as I said way above.

This stuff is a welcome alternative - I especially love the bonus tracks that have a sitar line - but they made a beautiful album back in 1994 anyway.
O P 8
olan
Known user

Post by olan »

This arrived today. Leaving the debate about the different version of the tracks aside two things struck me about this package.

Firstly, I read the sleeve notes before I played the LPs today. Sean O'Hagan has done a lovely job writing up a particularly turbulent period in the band's history while dealing with the difficulties and successes of the sessions themselves.

Secondly, and more importantly, the simpler and sparser arrangements arrived at through Tom Dowd's production really highlight what a talent Throb was. His playing on the LP is wonderful, but on 'Free' is simply astonishing. The record is a tribute to his abilities and emphasises how much poorer we are for his loss.

Really pleased I bought this as I really don't like the originally released version of the LP that much at all.
sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

johnnyboy wrote: Thu Oct 18, 2018 2:51 pm Looking forward to the BBC4 doc when it airs on TV.
Friday 16th November at 9pm :D
Nineteen...Nineteen...Six Five
jr_pharmacist
Known user

Post by jr_pharmacist »

Just tried to watch it...not available in the states!

If anyone finds it - please let me know. Would be fantastic to watch.
sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

jr_pharmacist wrote: Sat Nov 17, 2018 7:33 pm Just tried to watch it...not available in the states!

Get it while it's hot: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mpUVOVDy0iw
jr_pharmacist
Known user

Post by jr_pharmacist »

Epic! Thank you!
johnnyboy
Known user

Post by johnnyboy »

sunray wrote: Sat Nov 10, 2018 10:04 pm
johnnyboy wrote: Thu Oct 18, 2018 2:51 pm Looking forward to the BBC4 doc when it airs on TV.
That was a beautiful documentary, really enjoyed it. Equal arts joyous and melancholy. The passing of time sure feels weird.

Here's a Loud & Quiet podcast interview with Bobby https://www.loudandquiet.com/podcasts/p ... pisode-59/
Feedback Forever
Known user

Post by Feedback Forever »

sunray wrote: Sat Nov 17, 2018 10:05 pm
jr_pharmacist wrote: Sat Nov 17, 2018 7:33 pm Just tried to watch it...not available in the states!

Get it while it's hot: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mpUVOVDy0iw
Loving this. Thanks!
BzaInSpace
Site Admin

Post by BzaInSpace »

johnnyboy wrote: Mon Nov 19, 2018 10:20 am
That was a beautiful documentary, really enjoyed it. Equal arts joyous and melancholy. The passing of time sure feels weird.

Here's a Loud & Quiet podcast interview with Bobby https://www.loudandquiet.com/podcasts/p ... pisode-59/
Well said. I was literally too busy to comment on this at the time, but I really enjoyed that documentary.

Sure, it's about Primal Scream, so probably unexpected from me but I thought it was particularly well done.

Poignant and quite emotional at times, highlights for me were Bobby and Innes being presented with the 8 track master tapes of Al Green, the BBC 'Crimewatch' reconstruction of Andrew Innes finding the lost tape :lol: and where Bobby and Alan McGee met for their chat: the Queen's Cafe used to be a fairly regular place for me until the pub nearby opened on a Sunday. (Can confirm, the coffee is amazing)

Also entertaining was professional Talking Head and bullshitter Noel Gallagher recounting his first meeting with Gillespie and his query regarding Bob Marley. Anyway, for me a rare example of a music documentary that really worked.

I'm not sure that the Memphis album is better than the original, that's got 20 odd years of personal history behind it and I love it, but the Memphis sessions version is a true Sunday morning album, and the original version of 'Big Jet Plane' is one of the best things they ever did.

Cheers for that podcast as well JB, I liked that the only music Gillespie could listen to while recuperating after breaking his back and on Tramadol were three particular tracks from All Things Must Pass.
O P 8
johnnyboy
Known user

Post by johnnyboy »

BzaInSpace wrote: Sun Dec 09, 2018 3:53 pm
johnnyboy wrote: Mon Nov 19, 2018 10:20 am
That was a beautiful documentary, really enjoyed it. Equal parts joyous and melancholy. The passing of time sure feels weird.

Well said. I was literally too busy to comment on this at the time, but I really enjoyed that documentary.

Sure, it's about Primal Scream, so probably unexpected from me but I thought it was particularly well done.

Poignant and quite emotional at times, highlights for me were Bobby and Innes being presented with the 8 track master tapes of Al Green, the BBC 'Crimewatch' reconstruction of Andrew Innes finding the lost tape :lol: and where Bobby and Alan McGee met for their chat: the Queen's Cafe used to be a fairly regular place for me until the pub nearby opened on a Sunday. (Can confirm, the coffee is amazing)

Also entertaining was professional Talking Head and bullshitter Noel Gallagher recounting his first meeting with Gillespie and his query regarding Bob Marley. Anyway, for me a rare example of a music documentary that really worked.

I'm not sure that the Memphis album is better than the original, that's got 20 odd years of personal history behind it and I love it, but the Memphis sessions version is a true Sunday morning album, and the original version of 'Big Jet Plane' is one of the best things they ever did.

Cheers for that podcast as well JB, I liked that the only music Gillespie could listen to while recuperating after breaking his back and on Tramadol were three particular tracks from All Things Must Pass.
Cool, glad you enjoyed the doc and the podcast too. I recently re-watched the documentary as I loved it so much. Even my 71 yr old parents really liked it and I ended up buying my Mum the Memphis Recordings on cd for her recent birthday. Hope she plays it whilst cooking in the kitchen on a Sunday, that'd be cool. The one I'm liking the most is teh version of Free on there, which was one of my least favourites on the original album. This new version is just beautiful.

Not related to the Memphis side of things but I've come to really love Chaosmosis, something I thought I'd never say. Was playing some before bed last night, songs like Autumn In Paradise, I Can Change, Private Wars, some really great stuff on there. Also the B Side of the Mantra State Of Mind 12, Gravitational Waves" is a dreamy peach of an instrumental.
Alistair
Known user

Post by Alistair »

Slightly off topic but can anyone share a rip of Mixomatosis (2017 Record Store Day release)?

https://www.discogs.com/Primal-Scream-M ... e/10174161

There's often a follow up digital release for these vinyl releases but I can't find one for this.

Thanks in advance.
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

I am on my third listen of this new Run Out Groove version of this LP. I love this record so much but this pressing takes it to another level. It is sublime.
All I can think of when listening to it is this is the organic Memphisized version of this LP that works so much better than the original release. Much like Screamamdelica was a Andrew Weatheralled version of that release.
I hope this record makes it over to the UK as this is one hell of a reissue.
http://www.lilmoxie.com
Detroit, Music, Sports and Other Stuff(including Spiritualized, Spacemen 3)
PopeJez
Known user

Post by PopeJez »

I adore this version. The 2 x 45 rpm version we have in the UK is also sublime.
heisenberg
Known user

Post by heisenberg »

https://guitar.com/features/opinion-ana ... niversary/

Good article on the recording of Screamadelica.
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

I have an extra copy of the 3 LP Run Out Groove 33 rpm version if anyone in the US needs one.
Cost me $55 tax Inc. ++ S&H.
PM me if interested.
niamhm
Known user

Post by niamhm »

heisenberg wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 3:02 pm https://guitar.com/features/opinion-ana ... niversary/

Thanks for sharing, good read that, interesting insight to the process
sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

niamhm wrote: Sat Sep 25, 2021 12:40 pm
heisenberg wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 3:02 pm https://guitar.com/features/opinion-ana ... niversary/

Thanks for sharing, good read that, interesting insight to the process
Yep, thanks for that. It's certainly piqued my interest in Demodelica which, if i'm honest, struck me as a barrel-scraping exercise. After reading that article it may prove to be far more interesting.
Greeny
Known user

Post by Greeny »

spzretent wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 3:34 am I am on my third listen of this new Run Out Groove version of this LP. I love this record so much but this pressing takes it to another level. It is sublime.
All I can think of when listening to it is this is the organic Memphisized version of this LP that works so much better than the original release. Much like Screamamdelica was a Andrew Weatheralled version of that release.
Oh Jesus, this forum... that's another 50 quid it's cost me and I only logged in on Saturday to kill a few minutes while doing banking stuff!!

:D
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

Greeny wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 11:40 am
Oh Jesus, this forum... that's another 50 quid it's cost me and I only logged in on Saturday to kill a few minutes while doing banking stuff!!

As worth it as the VMP LAGWAFIS in my opinion. Run Out Groove is a fantastic label. Serious quality.
Greeny
Known user

Post by Greeny »

spzretent wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 2:51 pm
Greeny wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 11:40 am

As worth it as the VMP LAGWAFIS in my opinion. Run Out Groove is a fantastic label. Serious quality.
Just wanted to give a hat tip to Spzretent for this - my Run Out Groove 3xLP finally arrived from the States, and it is absolutely sublime. Cranked up on my hi-fi it's just like being in the studio with them. Unbelievable quality - the version of 'Free' in particular is utterly spine-tingling. Thanks man!
Greeny
Known user

Post by Greeny »

And as a little follow up, Rough Trade currently have the Run Out Groove 3xLP for a bargain £29.99

https://www.roughtrade.com/gb/primal-sc ... e98da24705

Unmissable at that price...
rapideye
Known user

Post by rapideye »

Arse! I've just bought myself this at the full.price as a present for tomorrow. Shhh...It's a surprise. Mind you someone else was paying, so I guess I can't complain.
PopeJez
Known user

Post by PopeJez »

Thanks for the heads-up!
niamhm
Known user

Post by niamhm »

Greeny wrote: Fri Dec 24, 2021 12:19 pm And as a little follow up, Rough Trade currently have the Run Out Groove 3xLP for a bargain £29.99

If it wasn`t Xmas I might be a little more annoyed about this - bunch of c#nts - karma getting me back for badmouthing them as robbing bastards all yr, they are by the way, but i`m happy with my Scream album, wonder if they`ve slashed the price of that Black Angels album?
BzaInSpace
Site Admin

Post by BzaInSpace »

Hahah!

I’m not sure anyone needs the extra bonus tracks on vinyl - really? There just fine as bonus tracks - the original pressing sounds superb anyway. The reissue cover is better if somewhat melodramatic.

Anyone not seen the BBC documentary about this? It used to be available on YT and stuff but I think it’s been taken down. Can try and share if I can
O P 8
Dreamweapon
Known user

Post by Dreamweapon »

Is this the documentary you're looking for?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=muBk3F5IR5g
Zenchan
Known user

Post by Zenchan »

Thanks for that, really good watch!
Dreamweapon
Known user

Post by Dreamweapon »

So there's a Sony version and a Run Out Groove version of this - is there any significant difference? Which one should I buy and why?
davedecay
Known user

Post by davedecay »

Greeny wrote: Fri Dec 24, 2021 12:19 pm And as a little follow up, Rough Trade currently have the Run Out Groove 3xLP for a bargain £29.99

Looks like it's up to 50 Pounds now.

US site is 50 Dollars. (Now $40 as of 3/18/22)

https://www.roughtrade.com/us/primal-sc ... 76a15c5a98
Last edited by davedecay on Fri Mar 18, 2022 6:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

Dreamweapon wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 5:19 pm So there's a Sony version and a Run Out Groove version of this - is there any significant difference? Which one should I buy and why?
Definitely The Run Out Groove version. It is 3 LP's mastered at 33 rpm and the quality of the pressing is fantastic. There are also bonus tracks.
I never owned the Sony pressing because it is mastered at 45 rpm and I would never play it. No idea the quality of the pressing. I only ever had the Cd version.
My .02 cents worth anyway.
Greeny
Known user

Post by Greeny »

That documentary is fantastic. Beautifully made hour of TV.

FWIW I agree with Alan McGee, the Memphis version is a masterpiece and it will stand as their towering achievement, but it would have been the wrong call to release it into the bombastic, coke-fuelled madness that was the mid-90s.

I cannot put into words how spine-tingling the Run Out Groove LP is...
burningwheel
Known user

Post by burningwheel »

Amazon has it for $36ish
[url=http://www.loveisforever.org]Primal Scream, My Bloody Valentine, Swervedriver, Chapterhouse, The Telescopes, Loop, Verve and more![/url]
rapideye
Known user

Post by rapideye »

Run Out Groove is awesome. Just now it's been Big Jet Plane and Free blowing me away. I always loved this during mid-90's and I played it more than Screamadelica. I love things eclectic and this was separate to Britpop, so caught my attention. I think this version would've been treated harshly back then. Now it should rightly be classed as a gem. £50 - you're not getting short-changed but it is a lot to pay for LP (x3). £30 you're getting a bargain. And out-takes on vinyl? Sounds ok by me. Why leave it them to streams and Mp3s? Get them on LPs- nicely.
Dreamweapon
Known user

Post by Dreamweapon »

Dreamweapon wrote: Wed Jan 05, 2022 5:36 pm Is this the documentary you're looking for?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=muBk3F5IR5g
It's on BBC4 again this coming Friday night
Dreamweapon
Known user

Post by Dreamweapon »

So I was recommended the Run Out Groove version - is that still the way you guys would suggest based on the quality and the additional bonus tracks. If so, does anyone here have a space copy going they'd be prepared to part with please for a good price?
PopeJez
Known user

Post by PopeJez »

I have both versions and they both sound fantastic - no question. I guess it's just a case of people wanting to listen to the outtakes on vinyl or not.
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

Hans Lucas
Known user

Post by Hans Lucas »

spzretent wrote: Sun Jan 01, 2023 8:02 pm Just saw this.
A superb deal.
https://elusivedisc.com/primal-scream-g ... ition-3lp/
Thank you for this! All my go to local shops were closed today when I had an itch so this fulfills that itch.
Time is the substance of which I am made. Time is a river which carries me along. But I am time. It's a tiger, tearing me apart; but I am the tiger.
BzaInSpace
Site Admin

Post by BzaInSpace »

I watched the documentary again on a beautifully chilled out New Years Day morning with nothing stronger than tea, and it remains immense and even more melancholic - reflecting on how 3 of ‘The Scream Team’ at the time are no longer with us. But it’s really beautifully done.

Anyway highly recommended - read all the posts above - and it seems Primal Scream had put it up on their YT channel a year ago (still love the Crimewatch style reconstruction on Innes finding the Ardent tape in a box in a cellar… 🤣)

Later on, got a chance to play the recordings again and yep, the ballads are stunning, and yep, ‘Big Jet Plane’ is amazing…

Happy New Year!
O P 8