Christmas No.1

For new sounds, old sounds and favourite sound discussion...

Moderators: sunny, BzaInSpace, runcible, spzretent

Starfish
Known user

Christmas No.1

Post by Starfish »

It's taken a couple of weeks, but And Nothing Hurt has really grown on me.
I was fairly ambivalent at first, but started listening to it as I went to bed and my opinion of it changed almost immediately.
Anyway.... Let's Dance: sounds like a Christmas hit to me. Warm tones, woolly jumpers, log fire, snow on the window. (It's probably the sleighbells effect.)
Do you think there are enough fans of the band to campaign to get it to No.1 ahead of whoever wins X Factor?

(Or maybe it'll end up on one of those Christmas TV ads which are somehow an important annual news item that the public get obsessed with every year)
Billy Whizz
Known user

Re: Christmas No.1

Post by Billy Whizz »

Didn't X Factor start finishing a week early because they could no longer guarantee a Christmas #1? I have a feeling that the winner's single is released a week before now to try and ensure that at least they have a number 1 single. I could be wrong though because I don't watch the thing and don't follow the charts. Sure I heard that ages ago though.

The Christmas charts from what I've seen are essentially like an awful 'Best of Christmas' album that you'd hear in a shopping centre or supermarket for about 6 weeks before the actual event. Every song in history (pretty much) is eligible now that downloads and, in particular, streaming count. I reckon you could get every single Spiritualized fan to download Let's Dance and it would still be well behind Mariah Carey.
REVOLUTION * PURITY * LOVE * SUICIDE * ACCURACY
mojo filters
Known user

Post by mojo filters »

Starfish wrote: Mon Sep 24, 2018 11:18 pm Anyway.... Let's Dance: sounds like a Christmas hit to me. Warm tones, woolly jumpers, log fire, snow on the window. (It's probably the sleighbells effect.)
Once I was able to properly hear Let's Dance in full fat CD format, versus the lossy streams - the first thing that came to mind when listening to that glorious ending, was some strong resemblance to some track or tracks I used to have as a child, on a white cassette called Now That's What I Call Christmas.

The latter had everything from Johnny Mathis to Slade and Wizzard, possibly Paul McCartney and Wham too. I guess the same formula used in every Christmas compilation, heard in every shop ad nauseum during the festive season.

It seemed like such an odd association when I first made it. I'm not even sure if Let's Dance reminds me of one particular Christmas song, or a variety all using motifs like those sleigh bells?

Anyways, I'm glad I'm not the only one to pick up on that unexpected Christmas vibe...I was seriously scratching my head when it first struck me!

I admire your ambition for the Christmas chart market. I suspect it would amount to a Herculean undertaking, when one considers how much effort it took to get Rage Against The Machine to compete with the predictably saccharine reality show winner de jour.

However I guess that was a few years ago. I've no idea if and how the charts have changed, though I have noticed how gentle, breathy female vocal John Lewis ad covers seem to have overtaken the dominant reality show karaoke clowns.

Regardless of whether we'll be hearing Spiritualized piped into John Lewis while out doing the Christmas shopping, thank you for checking my sanity - safe in the knowledge I'm not alone in making that curious connection!
I'm like Evel Knievel, I get paid for the attempt. I didn't promise this shit would be good!
Dave Chappelle
sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

It's still September. Delete thread.
Nineteen...Nineteen...Six Five