The Marquee.London.14th June 1990

For new sounds, old sounds and favourite sound discussion...

Moderators: sunny, BzaInSpace, runcible, spzretent

simonkeeping
Known user

The Marquee.London.14th June 1990

Post by simonkeeping »

http://www.soundcloud.com/haarlemriots
BzaInSpace
Site Admin

Re: The Marquee.London.14th June 1990

Post by BzaInSpace »

Wow! Nice find...
O P 8
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

Thank you so much for this!

This was an incredible thing to watch. It was my first Spiritualized gig, the first official London Spiritualized show and it took me right back.

Must have been filmed from near where I sat on the balcony but I don't recall anyone actually filming it. Curiously on film it comes across miles noisier than it actually was. You could talk at normal volume as the sound was kept quite low and the whole evening was rather laid back. Yet on Feelin’ Just Fine (boy I’d love him to revive that song now) there’s some considerable intensity and the view of Jason’s foot vibrating on his wah-wah pedal sent shivers down my spine as I recalled the times he used to play wah-wah like that. Within a year that song took on such incredible proportions live (see the classic Birmingham Edwards No. 8 recording from November ’91), but you could see where it was going back then. To see those 5 people on stage looking mildly awkward in their new guise – 3rd gig was it? – was fantastic. No real light show, no projections, no frills, just a great psychedelic band finding their feet. Absolutely brilliant.

1990-95 was kind of my golden era for live music and this was the start of it. Spiritualized played several times a year and were always amazing, loads of other great bands around at the time and quality gigs aplenty. I enjoy my live music as much as ever, but this was a special time. Happy days.
aadamm
Known user

Post by aadamm »

I just found this on youtube, and your remembrance, runcible, enhances it. Thanks for sharing.