Hookworms split

For new sounds, old sounds and favourite sound discussion...

Moderators: sunny, BzaInSpace, runcible, spzretent

runcible
Site Admin

Hookworms split

Post by runcible »

I'm not sure how if anyone else has read about the somewhat unsavoury end to Hookworms.

Easier to post the link than explain it all. Not good reading.

https://www.theguardian.com/music/2018/ ... nds-singer
Laz69
Known user

Re: Hookworms split

Post by Laz69 »

Oh dear. Sounds rather horrible.
clewsr
Known user

Post by clewsr »

oh that sad / disturbing news. Just as they had broken through this year.
sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

Okay, i'll bite.

A) So he's either a massive hypocrite and a scumbag.
B) Or his life/career has been trashed without any proof of evidence.
C) And his supposed mates have ditched him instantly.

Nice.
Nineteen...Nineteen...Six Five
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

Alanna McArdle's statement is pretty worrying if you read it all.
good dope/good fun
Known user

Post by good dope/good fun »

One of those dudes used to post on here.
Off Screen is a damn good song.
mc
Known user

Post by mc »

I believe survivors, and I applaud the rest of the band for taking swift and decisive action.
heisenberg
Known user

Post by heisenberg »

I went right off this band around a year ago due to their unbearable conduct on Twitter. I'm aware not all of them are responsible for either the actions of this one guy or the Twitter bile, but their posts became more self-righteous and malevolent as time went on to the point where I couldn't listen their music. They seemed to bitch about and have an opinion about everything, with most of it coming across as unpleasant jocular aggression rather than anything productive. If I recall, they even had a cringeworthy rant at one of their fans about people who streamed their music rather than buy it. Way to alienate your fans. Anyway, I came to associate this hostile and negative vibe with them and that was it for me, done. I'm shocked to read those details, and find all ridiculously rich given how often they seemed to consistently call out guys for inappropriate behaviour (I'm sure NME published news about them calling out their own males fans for groping women at one of their gigs). All just a big front then, was it? Really disappointing. I hope all those affected by this guy's disgusting behaviour are all able to move on to better things.
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

not much to add to what others have said really. these disgusting revelations shed new light on his previous behaviour where his positioning as a feminist ally was almost over the top and hysterical. I also had to unfollow the bands twitter feed eventually as it was too annoying and he never seemed up for any nuanced debate, just haranguing people.
this all now seems a strange case of over compensating for his own personal actions.
sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

So that's it then eh? We've all decided the guy is guilty purely on the basis of a few tweets involving two ex-lovers?
Don't get me wrong, i'm no apologist for this dude but i'm getting rather tired of lives been destroyed by social media before anything has been brought to a court of law.

Personally I've always found a lot of guys who describe themselves as Feminists to be suspect. I've known many who were incredibly 'right-on' but basically used the feminist line to get impressionable women into bed. Very successfully too i might add :roll:
angelsighs wrote: Thu Nov 01, 2018 3:24 pm I also had to unfollow the bands twitter feed eventually as it was too annoying and he never seemed up for any nuanced debate, just haranguing people.
Such is modern life...
Nineteen...Nineteen...Six Five
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

If you read many tweets from Hookworms they don't hesitate to lay into bands where vaguely similar accusations have been made. They constantly said 'Always Believe Survivors', so it's hardly surprising how volatile the reaction has been to these allegations.
burningwheel
Known user

Post by burningwheel »

Why the hell does their twitter "bio" say "male fronted..." very strange
[url=http://www.loveisforever.org]Primal Scream, My Bloody Valentine, Swervedriver, Chapterhouse, The Telescopes, Loop, Verve and more![/url]
niamhm
Known user

Post by niamhm »

Pretty squalid mess tbh, makes listening to a Hookworms record pretty unthinkable for the forseeable, if ever again with this hanging over them and unlikely to be satisfactorily resolved considering MJ will be wailing out the speakers, kudos to the band for acting swiftly, with Hookworms previous stance on such matters though I don`t think they were left with much choice, :?
wilder
New user

Post by wilder »

sunray wrote: Thu Nov 01, 2018 4:16 pm So that's it then eh? We've all decided the guy is guilty purely on the basis of a few tweets involving two ex-lovers?
Don't get me wrong, i'm no apologist for this dude but i'm getting rather tired of lives been destroyed by social media before anything has been brought to a court of law.
I'm genuinely asking ... who has had their life destroyed from false accusations (via social media) of sexual abuse?
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

heisenberg wrote: Thu Nov 01, 2018 12:45 pm I went right off this band around a year ago due to their unbearable conduct on Twitter. I'm aware not all of them are responsible for either the actions of this one guy or the Twitter bile, but their posts became more self-righteous and malevolent as time went on to the point where I couldn't listen their music. They seemed to bitch about and have an opinion about everything, with most of it coming across as unpleasant jocular aggression rather than anything productive. If I recall, they even had a cringeworthy rant at one of their fans about people who streamed their music rather than buy it. Way to alienate your fans. Anyway, I came to associate this hostile and negative vibe with them and that was it for me, done. I'm shocked to read those details, and find all ridiculously rich given how often they seemed to consistently call out guys for inappropriate behaviour (I'm sure NME published news about them calling out their own males fans for groping women at one of their gigs). All just a big front then, was it? Really disappointing. I hope all those affected by this guy's disgusting behaviour are all able to move on to better things.
I went off these guys over five years ago from this thread.
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=12120&hilit=fuck+mark+stewart
A member of Hookworms took the most patronizing attitude towards members of this board who had experience in putting on shows. Some for years. When he was called out on this his response (mind you from someone who had less than two years touring experience) he teed up a line at the end of his post. I took a swing he bailed and quit the board. Not sure who the hell they think they are but it appears from the above post they just got more obnoxious as time went on. Yesterdays posts are scary.
http://www.lilmoxie.com
Detroit, Music, Sports and Other Stuff(including Spiritualized, Spacemen 3)
heisenberg
Known user

Post by heisenberg »

sunray wrote: Thu Nov 01, 2018 4:16 pm So that's it then eh? We've all decided the guy is guilty purely on the basis of a few tweets involving two ex-lovers?

Personally I've always found a lot of guys who describe themselves as Feminists to be suspect. I've known many who were incredibly 'right-on' but basically used the feminist line to get impressionable women into bed. Very successfully too i might add :roll:
angelsighs wrote: Thu Nov 01, 2018 3:24 pm I also had to unfollow the bands twitter feed eventually as it was too annoying and he never seemed up for any nuanced debate, just haranguing people.
Such is modern life...
I completely agree with you that trial by social media is tiresome and that the mob mentality of it is abhorrent, particularly on Twitter which seems to consist largely of people spewing out glaringly obvious statements often underlined with a dash of venom in a weak attempt make themselves look passionate. Hookworms' account completely exemplified all the traits of the self-righteous social media cretin, and I doubt angelsighs and I were the only ones that were driven away by their bullshit on Twitter. That being said, I feel for the other band members, families, friends and of course the women who have been on the receiving end of this behaviour that he's taken down with him.

And yep, men who labour the feminist thing are always a tad suspect to me as well. Actions speak louder than words. Be a gentleman, not a scumbag. It's that simple.
TheWarmth
Known user

Post by TheWarmth »

The fact that the band immediately split following this news is pretty damning. It makes me think that the other band members are not on dude's side.