Jason plays on new Yak album

For new sounds, old sounds and favourite sound discussion...

Moderators: sunny, BzaInSpace, runcible, spzretent

sunray
Known user

Jason plays on new Yak album

Post by sunray »

The promo blurb:

There’s always been an element of chaos to the London-based trio Yak, which made their exhilarating live shows so memorable. It’s an approach that they take to a new level with their second album ‘Pursuit of Momentary Happiness’, which will be released on February 8th under a new deal with Virgin EMI / Third Man Records. Yak provide another taster of the album by sharing the new single ‘Fried’.

The creation of the album saw frontman Oli Burslem stand on the precipice between obsession and self-destruction. He sacrificed everything for his artistic vision, including his own financial security and mental health. Who invests every last penny into recording, to the point where they become homeless?

​“I don’t want it to be a boo-hoo story,” says Burslem. “It was fun doing it. It’s nice to push yourself to the limit, and I can say now that I don’t give a shit what anyone thinks, because it’s a document of that time, and it’s honest and open, and I couldn’t have done or given much more.”

The result is a rare white-knuckle ride of an album in which his extreme commitment pulsates through every moment – much like Spiritualized’s ’Ladies And Gentlemen We Are Floating In Space’ and Tame Impala’s ’Innerspeaker’, both of whose creators had a part to play in its genesis – ranging from the gonzo-fuzz chaos of tracks like ‘Blinded By The Lies’ through to the Roy Orbison-inspired heartbreak of ‘Words Fail Me’.

Yak had blazed a trail through the indie rock scene with their debut album ‘Alas Salvation’ and ended that era of their career with a landmark show at London’s Scala. Burslem and drummer Elliot Rawson were eager to make a second record, but bassist Andy Jones departed for a new life in Australia. A chance meeting with Jay Watson from Tame Impala’s touring band resulted in Burslem hatching a plan to rehearse together in Melbourne before quickly recording the album at Tame mainman Kevin Parker’s studio in Perth - with Burslem stopping in Tokyo to focus on writing.

It didn’t work out. Burslem returned to the UK with no home, no money and no album. 18 hazy months passed, during which Yak found their new bassist Vinny Davies and then a fresh focus. Yak were introduced to Spiritualized chief Jason Pierce through his bandmate John Coxon, and Pierce encouraged them that they still had something worth pursuing. That resulted in a new deal with Virgin EMI, and Burslem committed to sorting out his personal situation… just as soon as he’d finished the album.

They headed to RAK Studios with producer Marta Salogni (Björk, Django Django) and spent 10 hectic days recording 29 songs, 11 of which feature on the album. Burslem then withdrew to a small home studio with Pierce to apply some finishing touches. Pierce added slide guitar and vocals to the finale ‘This House Has No Living Room’, which sails out on Burslem’s field recording of birdsong. Against all advice, his dedication resulted in one final trip, this time to New York to completely remix the album.

Set to be released on CD, vinyl and digitally, ‘Pursuit of Momentary Happiness’ is now available to pre-order from https://yak.lnk.to/POMHPR

They're touring in March/April if anyone's interested. I'll probably pop along, I thought they were decent enough when I saw them a few years ago.
Nineteen...Nineteen...Six Five
freddiehubbard
Known user

Re: Jason plays on new Yak album

Post by freddiehubbard »

ill pop along if theres a Midlands date (B'ham/ Leics/ Notts ) ...intrigued
TheWarmth
Known user

Post by TheWarmth »

Listening to their first album now and I'm really impressed. Definitely going to check out the new one when it comes out next year.
olan
Known user

Post by olan »

TheWarmth wrote: Fri Dec 07, 2018 6:59 pm Listening to their first album now and I'm really impressed. Definitely going to check out the new one when it comes out next year.
I found it tough going to be honest. I missed them supporting Spiritualized last time in London, perhaps that would have helped. I'll certainly give the new one a try but the original LP is not for me.
simonkeeping
Known user

Post by simonkeeping »

On the the strength one BZA recommendation I was drawn in. He is always a damn good barometer on good music. I Caught them playing out in Bethnal Green a few weeks back with john Coxon djing. It was good to see a band play out with some dirt on their sound. From what I’ve read elsewhere The last track on the album with J has some free jazz brass on it too. Regardless of opinion on musical styles Oli (main man in Yak) deserves respect for living in a car to save cash to make a record. That’s dedication
http://www.soundcloud.com/haarlemriots
BzaInSpace
Site Admin

Post by BzaInSpace »

I only heard of Yak due to their supporting gig at the initial 2018 Spiritualized show in London.

Their first album - Alas Salvation - should never be considered "indie-rock" as it's so much more than that but hey...

During a reasonably difficult stretch in my life earlier this year (already) that album killed the badness for me: so impressed with the full on dirty guitar noise, like full on Grinderman noise at times, massively overblown and compressed guitar tones but it really works... especially when doing a cross-Scotland car journey in not the best of circumstances.

Anyway, I would recommend that first album to anybody here - a blatant nod to a track from Amazing Grace occurs quite early on - and I very much look forward to hearing this new material.

And yeah, anyone willing to sacrifice almost everything for their art has to be braver than most.

Cheers Simon!
O P 8
sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

I'm up too early for a Sunday :roll: Anyway, a quick root around the Gigs section yielded my quick capsule live review of Yak from just over two years ago (Oct. 2016)

Yak - Three young fellas on a garage, psych, grunge trip. Maybe a bit of prog in there too. Much better than I was expecting to be honest. Fantastic fuzz bass at times, really thick and dirty. Singer plays guitar and keyboards and knows how to use his pedals. Far from the finished article but there is potential there.

Can't remember where I heard of them but took a punt when they came through town. I am sure they will draw a larger crowd in April than attended the above gig.

*I am aware this could read like a "I was there first neh-neh-neh-neh-neh" kinda post. It's not meant to :)
Nineteen...Nineteen...Six Five
BzaInSpace
Site Admin

Post by BzaInSpace »

Ha!

Not at all Sunray, I think you nailed them at the time way back when!

I know they played Glasgow recently, and would have considered a trip to see them if I'd known in advance.
O P 8
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

had to listen to these guys, there's definitley some talent there, as others have said some nice thick guitar tones and it gets proggy at times but keeps the energy. not sure there's enough there to make them rise above many similar bands but I may well check them out live.

in terms of references for their sound, this is a bit obscure but they reminded me of the Icarus Line a bit?
toomilk
Known user

Post by toomilk »