Taste - The Telescopes

For new sounds, old sounds and favourite sound discussion...

Moderators: sunny, BzaInSpace, runcible, spzretent

stegraham
Known user

Taste - The Telescopes

Post by stegraham »

I see that to celebrate the 30th Anniversary of the Telescopes first album, Taste, there is a documentry being made:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pqvG99sfDZg

Out later this year. I really like the first two albums - both have different vibes (the first track off Taste could have been from the second album though). I bought the Third Wave and the next album, but lost interest with the noisey extended jam like stuff. Love the Unisex records though!
Laz69
Known user

Re: Taste - The Telescopes

Post by Laz69 »

Yeah, REALLY looking forward to this. I've been a fan since their creation debut was released, and love everything Stephen's put out. The current live shows are mental... really freaked out noise stuff, but oh man its oh so good. I've always thought they were kinda forgotten about so have tried to always get along to a show or pick up a release when i can. Hoping to see them back up in Glasgow later this year. Plus, Stephen is a gent too!

As for Taste... its one of my favourite records ever (was just outside the last top 20 i compiled!) and is just sublime. As raw and as fucked up as it is noisey and in-your-face. Whats not to love? And then there is the superb Trade Mark Of Quality live album which just blows me away with every listen. I wish i'd been lucky enough to catch them back then.

Wonder if it'll be shown in the local IMAX? :lol:
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

also really love this album, it's noisy, angry and trippy all at the same time. I always thought it was like if Ride had got much angrier and continued to mine the sound on their first EPs.

haven't got the Trademark of Quality album, but a couple of tracks from it are included as bonus tracks on my CD of Taste

don't really dig their current stuff, seen them live a couple of times and wasn't that impressed. it was all a bit formless, and although noisy not as thrilling as when that noise is bolted onto proper songs.
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

I remember being pretty shock by the ferocity of Taste.
I loved 7th# Disaster and The Perfect Needle(still do).
Taste just seemed so much angrier.
I have a lot of time for the Creation singles too. Gorgeous is a word that springs to mind.
http://www.lilmoxie.com
Detroit, Music, Sports and Other Stuff(including Spiritualized, Spacemen 3)
johnnyboy
Known user

Post by johnnyboy »

In total agreement here and have been playing Perfect Needle a lot recently, then saw the trailer for that documentary so dug out Taste for a couple of plays. Such a violent sounding album isn't it, really great but not an easy listen at all. I love the Creation singles too, got all of those on 12" and the B sides are really beautiful too, I used to play the song with whale noises off the To Kill A Slow Girl Walking single quite a lot when I was stoned.. I remember having a tshirt with the Precious Little cover on the front. Saw them live a few times, the London ULU and Notre Dame Hall both in '90 stick in my memory. Look forward to that documentary.
beaker73
Known user

Post by beaker73 »

Never heard of this band before this thread here. Made me check 'm out. Taste is, well not my taste. It's good, but I know I won't play it much. The selftitled one on the other hand: really like it. I took a punt on a original vinyl copy which is on its way to me now. Can't wait to blast it over the speakers. Thanks for the tip everyone!
"I've been drinking all night long, but my hands are steady"
stegraham
Known user

Post by stegraham »

My introduction to the Telescopes was via the 2nd album back in 92/93. I loved it, and I loved the 3 singles from that era too - Everso, Flying and Celeste. If you like the second untitled album then I highly recommend getting one the compilations such as:

https://www.discogs.com/The-Telescopes- ... se/7889719

which has all the singles on, and the b-sides are worth having too!

I was suprised at the time, when I went back to Taste. The first track starts along a similair vibe to Untitled album, but then I fall, she screams kicks in and you know it's going to be a different trip!

Ste
beaker73
Known user

Post by beaker73 »

I checked out that compilation, too. But some people are not too wild about the sound quality, masteringwise. So I decided to go for the OG creation lp and take it from there ;)
"I've been drinking all night long, but my hands are steady"
stegraham
Known user

Post by stegraham »

I see they have a new album (Exploding Head Syndrome) out at the start of next month. The song they've made a video for is actually really good:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nzIGCebzw04

Pleasantly surprised by this - haven't bothered with them since #4, but might give this record a go!

Ste
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

fair amount of Telescopes stuff going on.
New EP Strange Waves
30th Anniversary of Taste being celebrated by the documentary as well as a vinyl reissue on Fuzz Club.
Touring Europe in Sep, and apparently UK in Dec. it's unclear if the shows will be based on Taste, I hope so. Not been overly impressed with their more freeform noise sets but if they play that album, where the noise is harnessed into songs- I'd be all over it.
Aquarian-Time
Known user

Post by Aquarian-Time »

They are about to be announced headlining a certain Psych type event in the North West, that may or may not be October 5th.....
Martin L
Known user

Post by Martin L »

Aquarian-Time wrote: Fri Jul 26, 2019 5:00 pm They are about to be announced headlining a certain Psych type event in the North West, that may or may not be October 5th.....
When and where????
sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

Martin L wrote: Fri Jul 26, 2019 8:46 pm
Aquarian-Time wrote: Fri Jul 26, 2019 5:00 pm They are about to be announced headlining a certain Psych type event in the North West, that may or may not be October 5th.....
When and where????
https://www.facebook.com/events/2002098006753788/
I thought Gnod were headliners though.
Nineteen...Nineteen...Six Five
Martin L
Known user

Post by Martin L »

Thanks both
Aquarian-Time
Known user

Post by Aquarian-Time »

They are headlining but there are two stages (right next to each other, so one band set up whilst one plays so no missing anything) Telescopes are the other headliners
We are playing too, early ish probs 2nd or 3rd on in the afternoon
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

both of those bands worth £20 alone.

will it be a Taste set though?