NME live review from 2002

For new sounds, old sounds and favourite sound discussion...

Moderators: sunny, BzaInSpace, runcible, spzretent

Feedback Forever
Known user

NME live review from 2002

Post by Feedback Forever »

Don't know whether anyone's interested in reading old live reviews, but I found this while rummaging through my mum's attic the other day. It was the first Spz gig I went to, and I was pleasantly surprised to see that a non-UK gig was reviewed by the NME.

Hmm, it turns out the image is too big. Let me know if anyone's bothered, and I'll try to upload it.
Feedback Forever
Known user

Re: NME live review from 2002

There's a backstage interview with Jason, too.
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

yep definitely interested. I like that era of the band as it was when I first saw them live.
Feedback Forever
Known user

The image is nearly 6 MB and too big to upload. Any suggestions for how to downsize it? Or other options?
freddiehubbard
Known user

Post by freddiehubbard »

I love reading old reviews and press etc. I used to have a Verve and a Spiritualized scrapbook that was chocka with all the articles I could find from '92-'98. some great stuff. especially some of the purple prose espoused in the early Verve ones. I separated from my wife about 18months ago and that plus loads of other stuff has disappeared. gutted. pre internet days so feckin unlikely i'll ever be able to re compile.
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

Feedback Forever wrote: Thu Jan 24, 2019 1:21 pm The image is nearly 6 MB and too big to upload. Any suggestions for how to downsize it? Or other options?
upload to photobucket then use the options there to resize it to a more suitable size. I use photobucket to post images to here anyway as I struggle otherwise.. :/
Feedback Forever
Known user

Cheers! I'll give it a go.
Feedback Forever
Known user

Seems I have to create a Photobucket account. Any other way to do it? Send you a PM?
Feedback Forever
Known user

Resizing an image seems to be beyond my technical ability. I tried again after work, but to no avail. Sorry to hear your collection's gone, Freddie. I was quite delighted to rediscover some old gems I thought were lost forever.
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

freddiehubbard wrote: Thu Jan 24, 2019 2:15 pm I love reading old reviews and press etc. I used to have a Verve and a Spiritualized scrapbook that was chocka with all the articles I could find from '92-'98. some great stuff. especially some of the purple prose espoused in the early Verve ones. I separated from my wife about 18months ago and that plus loads of other stuff has disappeared. gutted. pre internet days so feckin unlikely i'll ever be able to re compile.
In the early days of the internet I remember a Verve website which had a really good archive of press interviews and reviews from the 90s. I too remember very distinctive purple prose! they were the sort of band who inspired that in music reviewers! the website was so ugly and basic looking back.. the interwebs has come a long way!

Feedback Forever- sorry I couldn't be of more help. my technical ability is also lacking unfortunately. hopefully someone else can help who has a bit

by the way is this the NME live review which was just after the band was stripped down and expressed some reservations.. but said something like "but by the end, the power of the Spiritualized machine is making grown men cry" or somesuch? talking of purple prose, that's a phrase that stuck in my mind!
Feedback Forever
Known user

No problem, angelsighs! Yeah, it's just after the band was stripped down, but what you refer to must be from another review, I think. The gig certainly had me in tears :lol: I remember I was quite stunned when they played Angel Sigh and These Blues.

Thanks to the kind help of ravench, here you go:
Spz NME review Rockefeller b 2002.jpg
Spz NME review Rockefeller b 2002.jpg (507.53 KiB) Viewed 2791 times
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

Thanks for this! some phrases from this review do sound familiar. I think the other review I was thinking of was from earlier on in the LICD tour- so it was when the new lineup debuted, and people were making comparisons to Sean Cook et al. seems kinda weird it was that big a deal now, to be honest. the lineup has always been fluid. I guess it was just that Ladies in Gentlemen was kind of their break into the mainstream and a lot of people got attached to that lineup.

I never knew they played These Blues on this tour!! I imagine it would be very different from the Pure Phase era version.
Angel Sigh is definitely one they should bring back... I think this line up could nail it.