Drone Rock Records Interview

For new sounds, old sounds and favourite sound discussion...

Moderators: sunny, BzaInSpace, runcible, spzretent

Shinesalight
Known user

Drone Rock Records Interview

Post by Shinesalight »

A little online interview I did for Echoes And Dust about my record label, Drone Rock Records:-

https://www.echoesanddust.com/2019/02/i ... tfityfcdd4

(Mods: I hope this is ok here)
www.dronerockrecords.com
The Home of Drone
BROKENHEART
Known user

Re: Drone Rock Records Interview

Post by BROKENHEART »

Blimey, where did those 4 years go !
I remember when the first Kill West ep came out in 2015, great record. As was Smoke Beach and the 2nd Kill West DRR release Raw Desire. Finally got to see them play a fine live show at The Hope and Ruin in Brighton 2017 supporting the album Gush.
Just to say thanks for introducing me to a lot of great music through DRR and here's to the future of the label. Cheers Shines
Drone on !
sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

I assume the Special Editions are more expensive to produce and that's why you do them in a larger run than the regular editions? Or is it to entice record collector scum into buying both copies; 'Special' for the colours and 'Regular' for the rarity? Shrewd :wink:
Nineteen...Nineteen...Six Five
Shinesalight
Known user

Post by Shinesalight »

sunray wrote: Sat Feb 09, 2019 9:06 pm I assume the Special Editions are more expensive to produce and that's why you do them in a larger run than the regular editions? Or is it to entice record collector scum into buying both copies; 'Special' for the colours and 'Regular' for the rarity? Shrewd :wink:
Its always been a balancing act with doing a special edtion/regular edtion or doing just one run of one colour. I've tried doing it both ways and juggling the quantities. I think I've settled on a system that works for the label now. The main idea is that regular customers/mailing list subscribers get the special edition (or at least first shout on them) and the regular edition goes out to shops/distribution. I've found that when I do a run of a single edition the records don't sell as well/quickly. I guess customers like the exculsivity of the special edition. I do get customers who buy both versions (perhaps to keep one and sell one or just that they collect everything) and I get customers who just buy the regular editions. Anyway, it works at the moment which is the main thing.
www.dronerockrecords.com
The Home of Drone
Shinesalight
Known user

Post by Shinesalight »

BROKENHEART wrote: Sat Feb 09, 2019 2:54 pm Blimey, where did those 4 years go !
I remember when the first Kill West ep came out in 2015, great record. As was Smoke Beach and the 2nd Kill West DRR release Raw Desire. Finally got to see them play a fine live show at The Hope and Ruin in Brighton 2017 supporting the album Gush.
Just to say thanks for introducing me to a lot of great music through DRR and here's to the future of the label. Cheers Shines
Drone on !
I know, I can't believe its been 4 years. Glad to have you on board for the journey. That Kill West gig was amazing and such a blast to meet the band in person. I must admit, I wasn't a fan of the direction they went in with the Gush LP but very sad to see that they split up (though I may be working with some of the origianl members at some point in the future).
www.dronerockrecords.com
The Home of Drone
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

Great interview Ads, interesting to hear how it all works and amazing to think how it developed just from the whim of that first release.
your passion comes across in the effort you put into each release, I love the coloured versions which match the actual sleeve.
Laz69
Known user

Post by Laz69 »

Wonderful label which has put out some really great records and Adam is a stand up guy too! Passionate about the bands he works with and the LPs he puts out. Long may DRR live!