Playing With Fire - Quietus article

For new sounds, old sounds and favourite sound discussion...

Moderators: sunny, BzaInSpace, runcible, spzretent

johnnyboy
Known user

Playing With Fire - Quietus article

Post by johnnyboy »

Ian
Known user

Re: PLaying With Fire - Quietus article

Post by Ian »

Lovely final line from Pete. Really enjoyed that.
I have a passion sweet Lord...
http://www.spacemen3.co.uk
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

One of the best articles I have ever read on any Spacemen 3 LP.
Thanks for that link.
http://www.lilmoxie.com
Detroit, Music, Sports and Other Stuff(including Spiritualized, Spacemen 3)
johnnyboy
Known user

Post by johnnyboy »

Cool article eh, thought it'd be enjoyed here.

The last part is def right on.....

“I could go a decade without listening to Spacemen 3, but when I hear that stuff I’m always psyched and I think to myself, Yeah, we fucking nailed it.”
mc
Known user

Post by mc »

It's great to see Jason contributing too - I get the impression he's become less reticent about discussing his past in recent years (e.g. his absence from Erik Morse's book etc.)
BzaInSpace
Site Admin

Post by BzaInSpace »

I really enjoyed reading this - thanks John!

Like the best of reflective music criticism, it immediately made me want to listen to this record again.

Frustratingly, Spotify has absolutely no Spacemen 3 material other than 'Lord can you hear me', and only due to MGMT including it on a compilation. The legal shitstorm regarding Spacemen 3 recordings presumably the reason.

What a fucking shame that some of the greatest rock & roll music ever isn't even available for the casual listener to drop in and freak out with, other than through sub-standard youtube quality playback.
O P 8
bzfgt
New user

Re: Playing With Fire - Quietus article

Post by bzfgt »

Great article! Sad to see Pete diss the Grateful Dead, though!
Feedback Forever
Known user

Post by Feedback Forever »

spzretent wrote: Tue Feb 19, 2019 3:07 pm One of the best articles I have ever read on any Spacemen 3 LP.
Thanks for that link.
Yeah, great stuff!
Cheers!
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

agree that it's good to hear Jason talk about Spacemen 3 a bit more openly.

Playing With Fire is still the dogs bollocks. no one else was making music this minimalist and by turns it totally rocks as well as the really dreamy moments.
mojo filters
Known user

Post by mojo filters »

angelsighs wrote: Thu Feb 28, 2019 3:58 pm agree that it's good to hear Jason talk about Spacemen 3 a bit more openly.

Playing With Fire is still the dogs bollocks. no one else was making music this minimalist and by turns it totally rocks as well as the really dreamy moments.
Agreed, Jason previously always seemed to deflect whenever an interviewer tried to get him to talk about Spacemen 3. That's fine with me, as generally I want to hear more from him about both upcoming and the most recently released output.

I can quite understand him not wanting to revisit the history of the band which journalists always seem most interested in, ie drugs and conflict, as opposed to the actual music. Perhaps it was the latter subject matter that allowed him to open up comfortably here?

What's always puzzled me is Jason's extreme attachment to Walking With Jesus, as it turns up so predictably in live sets. Whilst I'm grateful he's made changes to the arrangement a little over the years, there's only so much interest I can muster for a dynamically rather flat I > IV > IV sus4 > IV chord strumming number - having heard it so many times now.

By contrast on the later leg of the Sweet Heart Sweet Light tour, it was amazing to see him get the acoustic guitar out for Come Down Easy. I hope Jason's similarly inspired to include another surprising treat, at some future gigs!

I agree there's a beautiful minimalism to Playing With Fire, potentially making it the band's most interesting album. However I have to admit whenever I'm drawn to playing some Spacemen 3, it's usually Perfect Prescription (or Forged Prescriptions these days) Recurring and Taking Drugs... that catch my attention first.
I'm like Evel Knievel, I get paid for the attempt. I didn't promise this shit would be good!
Dave Chappelle
TheWarmth
Known user

Post by TheWarmth »

Man, I would love it if Forged Prescriptions got a nice vinyl pressing.
natty
Known user

Post by natty »

TheWarmth wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2019 8:58 pm Man, I would love it if Forged Prescriptions got a nice vinyl pressing.
Me too, it seems like a hole in my collection.

Just not on Spageage.

The Perfect Prescription would benefit from a good remastering job as well, but as I understand it, PK considers FP to be that job done.
Laz69
Known user

Post by Laz69 »

I know someone has plans for this, but its taking some time...
niamhm
Known user

Post by niamhm »

natty wrote: Sat Mar 02, 2019 7:22 am
TheWarmth wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2019 8:58 pm Man, I would love it if Forged Prescriptions got a nice vinyl pressing.
Me too, it seems like a hole in my collection.

Just not on Spageage.

The Perfect Prescription would benefit from a good remastering job as well, but as I understand it, PK considers FP to be that job done.
I would think that's where it would be if it was going to happen sadly, surprised they haven`t done it for this yrs RSD tbh, plumping for Live In Europe `89 instead I see, :( ps isn`t this thread in the wrong section? Just saying :|
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

mojo filters wrote: Thu Feb 28, 2019 5:00 pm
angelsighs wrote: Thu Feb 28, 2019 3:58 pm agree that it's good to hear Jason talk about Spacemen 3 a bit more openly.

I agree there's a beautiful minimalism to Playing With Fire, potentially making it the band's most interesting album. However I have to admit whenever I'm drawn to playing some Spacemen 3, it's usually Perfect Prescription (or Forged Prescriptions these days) Recurring and Taking Drugs... that catch my attention first.
Definitely. Some of the songs are merely a couple of chords, How Does It Feel is pretty much one chord isn't it? It's incredible how they carve such great music out of so little. It's also so impressive that they stuck with music that was so out of step with the music scene at the time.