I am What I am (old version)

For new sounds, old sounds and favourite sound discussion...

Moderators: sunny, BzaInSpace, runcible, spzretent

nghst
Known user

I am What I am (old version)

Post by nghst »

Is there anywhere to download this version:

[youtube]https://youtu.be/GoDQZPyRfos[/youtube]
Dreamweapon
Known user

Re: I am What I am (old version)

Post by Dreamweapon »

nghst
Known user

Post by nghst »

Thank you! :D
selib
Known user

Post by selib »

I had no idea this existed! Crazy
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

cracking version this isn't it. full throttle garage but still with that big Spiritualized sound.
the SHSL version is great too though, in its own way.

kinda weird that they played a brand new song in session. I wonder if it was ever earmarked for LICD or Amazing Grace.
synthiA
Known user

Post by synthiA »

Don't quote me on this but... I believe that I am What I am was an outtake from a Dr. John session somewhere around LAG.
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

synthiA wrote: Wed Mar 04, 2020 5:55 am Don't quote me on this but... I believe that I am What I am was an outtake from a Dr. John session somewhere around LAG.
I remember hearing that somewhere too. it makes sense chronologically. but if so, it's weird that there's no Dr John writing credit on the final SHSL version.
mojo filters
Known user

Post by mojo filters »

angelsighs wrote: Thu Mar 05, 2020 11:06 am
synthiA wrote: Wed Mar 04, 2020 5:55 am Don't quote me on this but... I believe that I am What I am was an outtake from a Dr. John session somewhere around LAG.
I remember hearing that somewhere too. it makes sense chronologically. but if so, it's weird that there's no Dr John writing credit on the final SHSL version.
In the SHSL liner notes, it states: 'I am what I am' written by J. Spaceman and Dr John, next to the other exception giving a co-writing credit to Poppy Spaceman.
I'm like Evel Knievel, I get paid for the attempt. I didn't promise this shit would be good!
Dave Chappelle
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

mojo filters wrote: Mon Mar 09, 2020 5:09 am
angelsighs wrote: Thu Mar 05, 2020 11:06 am
In the SHSL liner notes, it states: 'I am what I am' written by J. Spaceman and Dr John, next to the other exception giving a co-writing credit to Poppy Spaceman.
You are quite right! How did I miss that. I always assume all songs are just by J Spaceman
mojo filters
Known user

Post by mojo filters »

To be fair, every Spiritualized liner I can recall most prominently gives the first credits along the lines of All tracks written, arranged and produced by J. Spaceman. Off the top of my head, I can only think of Anyway You Want Me, Sway, Run and Cop Shoot Cop that also had additional and/or other writing credits.

However I distinctly recall studio collaborators such as Guy Massey, when interviewed around the Pure Phase, Ladies and Gentlemen and Let It Comes Down era, referencing specific extra skillsets needed, that helped them work well with Jason.

For example I think Guy Massey himself stated he originally got the gig because Jason usually needed "engineers who could also produce," and session players were sometimes chosen because they could also arrange.
I'm like Evel Knievel, I get paid for the attempt. I didn't promise this shit would be good!
Dave Chappelle
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

Yeah that's interesting. Couple of those those credits are where he's taken a bit too much of a previous song and needs to credit it.
I think the Ladies and Gents title track also now has an Elvis credit?
Sway is the only one where another member of the band has been credited. I remember reading how in the early days Jason told the band it would be much more collaborative than Spacemen 3. But it didn't turn out that way (not a criticism, just the way it turned out)
toomilk
Known user

Post by toomilk »

nghst wrote: Fri Jan 03, 2020 1:35 pm Is there anywhere to download this version:

[youtube]https://youtu.be/GoDQZPyRfos[/youtube]
Uploaded by Ollie and his weird Welsh youtube (non)restrictions! Wonder what he's up to nowadays...