Naming instruments used on albums

For new sounds, old sounds and favourite sound discussion...

Moderators: sunny, BzaInSpace, runcible, spzretent

jb
Known user

Naming instruments used on albums

Post by jb »

I've always been fascinated by Jason and Sonic naming the exact instruments they've used on specific albums in the sleeve notes. I guess it helps that the names of the instruments themselves are so evocative...Vox Starstreamer etc. Do any other artists do this? Where does it come from?
angelsighs
Known user

Re: Naming instruments used on albums

Post by angelsighs »

Good question. It's some kind of gear fetishism I guess. I can't remember if it's discussed in the Spacemen 3 book.
BessieBoporBach
Known user

Post by BessieBoporBach »

It's a cool, informative gesture for sure. It's how I learned about old guitars, for the most part.

It is not a practice they invented, but it was originally more typical of artists who were sponsored in their use of particular instruments. E.g., language like "Joe Lovano uses Borgani saxophones," "MC5 play Mosrite guitars," and the like. Spacemen 3 may well have been the first band to do this NOT to have a sponsorship.
TheWarmth
Known user

Post by TheWarmth »

I know that every instrument is listed in the liner notes of Pulp's His N Hers, which is cool because they used a shit ton of gear on that album. I really enjoy those details, as a gear nerd myself.
Jasonsmith
Known user

Post by Jasonsmith »

Here's a link to the instruments section in the Erik Morse book https://books.google.de/books?id=IWI6ke ... ny&f=false
mc
Known user

Post by mc »

TheWarmth wrote: Fri Mar 20, 2020 7:50 pm I know that every instrument is listed in the liner notes of Pulp's His N Hers, which is cool because they used a shit ton of gear on that album. I really enjoy those details, as a gear nerd myself.
They may well have been inspired by Spacemen 3 on that count, given Mark Webber's fanaticism for the band. He wasn't an "official" member of Pulp yet, but (I think) was their tour manager at the time and possibly played on stage.
toomilk
Known user

Post by toomilk »

I think it's a gearhead thing. Lots of bands have done it over the years. SP3 weren't the first. Not sure if there's a direct point of inspiration.