Jason and the boys

For new sounds, old sounds and favourite sound discussion...

Moderators: sunny, BzaInSpace, runcible, spzretent

Mad_Richard
Known user

Jason and the boys

Post by Mad_Richard »

I apologize for the daft question but I don't know much about Spiritualized as a band apart from the earlier lineup (Sean Cook and Kate Radley). I've always had a tendency to think of Spiritualized as... well, as Jason Pierce. Anyway, is Thighpaulsandra, who from what I've gather toured with Spiritualized for the Amazing Grace tour, is he a 'famous,' so to speak in his own right? I haven't heard of him but I get the feeling that the guy is more than just a backing musician. Are any of the other blokes working with/for Pierce 'famous,' or have they been in bands prior to Spz?
Cheers.
Laz69
Known user

Post by Laz69 »

Thighpaulsandra is an artist in his own right. I'm not knowledgeable enough to know exactly what names he releases under, but he does a lot of recordings with Julian Cope with Cope's releases, also plays with Cope as Queen Elizabeth who are a kinda ambient electronica band. Think he also played on the Brain Donor albums too. If you search for "headheritage" online you should discover Cope's website where you will find more info on the various releases.
a beautiful noise
Known user

Post by a beautiful noise »

yeah yeah, all good and dandy about julian cope, he has enuff problems.

thighpaulsandra played until recently in one of the most experimental/underground/ambient/strange bands of all time. COIL. if your curious about them i would suggest 'loves secret domian'.

also as check out the cover they did of 'tainted love' by soft cell. their version is absolutely miserable in a good way. and the video is in the museum of modern art in new york. i beleive it's still there, could be wrong about this though.

xxxshonnxxx
veiko
Known user

Post by veiko »

a beautiful noise wrote:also as check out the cover they did of 'tainted love' by soft cell. their version is absolutely miserable in a good way.
it's not a soft cell song anyway,,,

but the fact about the video is interesting.

this is the only link what i found about coil's video in MoMa:

http://www.moma.org/exhibitions/film_me ... ldies.html

their it says "Music by Coil".

and here is little bit info about the very beginning of Spiritualized:

http://www.spacemen3.co.uk/pages/record ... alized.htm

cheers.
a beautiful noise
Known user

anyways it IS a soft cell song. watch the video, see thats a parody of marc almond. the same cat who wrote 'tainted love'. from the group SOFT CELL.

just wanted to make sure we didn't get lost in translation.

xxxshonnxxx
anorthernsoul
Known user

Post by anorthernsoul »

mmm-
the soft cell version's a cover of the infinitely better (and not shit) gloria jones version, isn't it.

maybe someone else did it before her.
a beautiful noise
Known user

yeah yeah yeah, i know that soft cell covered it, but the version that coil do is in response to the soft cell version.

the coil version is slooooooow and very dark and quite gothey. but the video is beautiful, a true work of art.

xxxshonnxxx
apesgrapes
Known user

Post by apesgrapes »

thighpaulsandra is also linked with coil, so he probably knows something the average person doesn't know, and its probably something the average person is better off not knowing.