Best ever year for album releases

For new sounds, old sounds and favourite sound discussion...

Moderators: sunny, BzaInSpace, runcible, spzretent

runcible
Site Admin

Best ever year for album releases

Post by runcible »

Here's a new game. I've often thought about significant years for music, but then I thought about albums that came out in certain years and how important that year then became in music history.

So... The idea is to select a year that has been a particular highlight. It'd be easy to go for something like 1967 (or '68 or '69!) which was pretty amazing on many levels. Decide on your year and list the records that made it what it was, with your favourite at the top.

I'm choosing 1979 which I regard as the best ever year for albums that had a major impact on me. Just crammed with incredible releases. Here I go:

Album of the year:
The Damned - Machine Gun Etiquette. Not only their finest moment but the single greatest punk album of all time. I still listen to this all the time.

The other notables although there are many more:
Talking Heads - Fear of Music
Joy Division - Unknown Pleasures
XTC - Drums and Wires
Simple Minds - Reel to Reel Cacophony & Life In A Day
Led Zeppelin - In Through The Out Door
Siouxsie & The Banshees - Join Hands
The Stranglers - The Raven
Frank Zappa - Joe's Garage I & II
Fleetwood Mac - Tusk
The Ruts - The Crack
The Clash - London Calling
Magazine - Second Hand Daylight (would have been my album of the year of The Damned hadn't released MGE!
Elvis Costello - Armed Forces
Generation X - Valley of the Dolls
Tubeway Army - Replicas
The Cure - Three Imaginary Boys
Ian Dury - Do It Yourself
David Bowie - Lodger
AC/DC - Highway To Hell
Wire - 154
The Police - Regatta de Blanc
Blondie - Eat To The Beat
Madness - One Step Beyond
Crass - Stations of the Crass
Bob Marley - Survival
The Fall - Live At The Witch Trials & Dragnet
Motorhead - Overkill & Bomber
The Specials - s/t
The Jam - Setting Sons
Neil Young - Rust Never Sleeps & Live Rust
PiL - Metal Box
Pink Floyd - The Wall
Stiff Little Fingers - Inflammable Material
The Slits - Cut
Ramones - It's Alive
space
Known user

Re: Best ever year for album releases

Post by space »

dylan- time out of mind

spz-lag
echo and the bunnmen- evergreen
the verve- urban hymns
blur- blur
charlatans- telling stories
oasis- be here now
supergrass- in it for the money
yo la tango- i can hear the heart beating as one
radiohead- ok(?) computer
neil young- year of the horse
stereophonics- word gets around
spice girls- spice world
ice cube- featuring...ice cube

etc!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1997_in_m ... 0%93_March
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

I thought 1997 might come up! Definitely a crucial year than one!
davedecay
Known user

Post by davedecay »

I'm going to agree with 1979, that particular year has come up so many times when looking at music.
stegraham
Known user

Post by stegraham »

Good Post!1979 = good choice! I was only 8 in 1979 so don't really remember it, but looking at that list there are some great records. I don't really think at the year level, I kinda remember periods of my life and certain genres/bands dominating - associate them with what I was doing at the time etc.

I'm going to go with 1992, not because of being a revolutionary year for music in general, but because it was a tranisitionary year for me. It was my "middle" year at University. I started University being a hardcore punk listening to Crass,Conflict, Oi Polloi, Discharge, Subhumans etc, and then slowly but surely was seduced into "indie". There's probably more albums han the ones listed below, and some might not be 1992 (not sure).

Obviously my fav album was LGM, with Soul Kiss being a very close second. I saw Spiritualized for the first time at Glastonbury. Looking at the list of records, brings back very fond memories.

Lazer Guided Melodies - Spiritualized
Soul Kiss - Spectrum
Melomania - Darkside
Self-titled - The Telescopes
Spooky - Lush
Rev - Ultra Vivid Scence
Going Blank Again - Ride
In Ribbons - Pale Saints
So Tough - Saint Etienne
Asquarius - Cud
Between 10th & 11th - The Charlatans
Honey's Dead - JAMC
Peng! - Stereolab
It's a shame about Ray - The Lemonheads
Lunapark - Luna
Babe Rainbow - House of Love
Looks or the Lifestyle - PWEI
Experience - The Prodigy
Jehovahkill - Julian Cope
Rage against the machine - RATM
Shhh - Chumbawamba
United Colours of Blaggers ITA - Blaggers ITA
The Untidy Suicides Of Your Degenerate Children - Alice Donut
Boss Drum - The Shamen
One Nation - Dream Frequency
Le Jardin De Heavenly - Heavenly
Everything's Alright Forever - Boo Radleys
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

1991 was pretty good:
Mercury Rev- Yerself Is Steam
My Bloody Valentine- Loveless
Primal Scream- Screamadelica
Teenage Fanclub- Bandwagonesque
Screaming Trees- Uncle Anesthesia
Swervedriver- Raise
Massive Attack- Blue Lines
Nirvana- Nevermind
The Orb- Adventure Beyond The Ultraworld
Talk Talk- Laughing Stock

So was 1993:
Mercury Rev- Boces
Spiritualized- Fucked Up Inside
Flaming Lips- Transmissions....
Verve- A Storm In Heaven
Verve- Voyager 1
http://www.lilmoxie.com
Detroit, Music, Sports and Other Stuff(including Spiritualized, Spacemen 3)
Laz69
Known user

Post by Laz69 »

stegraham wrote: Thu Jul 09, 2020 4:59 pm I'm going to go with 1992, not because of being a revolutionary year for music in general, but because it was a tranisitionary year for me.
I was having a think about this thread and have to agree with Stevie. It was certainly a big year musically for me as the Creation scene really took off. So many great bands all suddenly known to me, all while i'm discovering SP3 and much much more from before then. A hugely influential, and important part of my musical journey. I can still remember hearing LGM and Soul Kiss for the first time in my bedroom and just being left speechless. Game changers!

But even more so, its the year that most favourite album ever was released. That will be forever with me and has brought me so many wonderful (and hilarious) memories. It will be the last thing played at my funeral as i head off into the cosmos...

The Boo Radleys - Everything's Alright Forever
Aquarian-Time
Known user

Post by Aquarian-Time »

Most years from 1989 to 1997 were pretty solid with stacks of great/classic albums.

Lucky if you get 1 a year now. Good albums are not hard to find, classics, well they just don't happen anymore
olan
Known user

Post by olan »

I got a little transistor radio for Xmas in 1977. It was FM only and there were no FM stations in Ireland at the time. So I listened to Peel and whoever it was in the 8-10 slot that I always associate with Janice Long. The bands Peel broke in 1978/1979 are all in Runcible’s list. I’m voting with him for 1979. I first heard tracks from my favourite LP of all time in late November/December 1979 on the Peel show and it was on of the first things I played on my Ferguson all-in-one that I bought in the sales in January 1980. That LP is The Return Of... by The Durutti Column. The one thing I wouldn’t agree with Runcible on is The Damned LP. I would put Unknown Pleasures and Metal Box in joint first place. Those albums and the DC LP were in the first 10 LPs I bought.
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

I'd also make the case for 1997 myself. lots of established bands either reaching some kind of peak, or new bands coming out with great albums

Aquarian-Time wrote: Fri Jul 10, 2020 5:04 pm Most years from 1989 to 1997 were pretty solid with stacks of great/classic albums.

Lucky if you get 1 a year now. Good albums are not hard to find, classics, well they just don't happen anymore
now that's an interesting theory. maybe the music scene is too fragmented to have classics that everyone agrees on. or maybe it just takes time for us as listeners to see albums as classics? (I always thought 'instant classic' is a bit of a contradiction in terms)

Olan, you must have most people beat in terms of how cool your first music purchases were! I honestly can't remember what the first album I bought was, but I am pretty sure my first couple of years of music buying has not stood the test of time.
olan
Known user

Post by olan »

angelsighs wrote: Mon Jul 13, 2020 10:58 am Olan, you must have most people beat in terms of how cool your first music purchases were! I honestly can't remember what the first album I bought was, but I am pretty sure my first couple of years of music buying has not stood the test of time.
To be fair there were the likes of Eurythmics, Yazoo and Gary Numan in there too. I've got every record I ever bought, barring a bunch that were stolen in Reading in 1992. There is plenty to point and giggle at in there....
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

olan wrote: Mon Jul 13, 2020 11:44 am
angelsighs wrote: Mon Jul 13, 2020 10:58 am Olan, you must have most people beat in terms of how cool your first music purchases were! I honestly can't remember what the first album I bought was, but I am pretty sure my first couple of years of music buying has not stood the test of time.
To be fair there were the likes of Eurythmics, Yazoo and Gary Numan in there too. I've got every record I ever bought, barring a bunch that were stolen in Reading in 1992. There is plenty to point and giggle at in there....
all part of the journey, right? we all have to start somewhere. some of my younger tastes I'd be ashamed of, some of it stands up, some of it is enjoyable for nostalgia, it's a mixture.
I guess the Peel show was a big gateway for a lot of people- pretty cool how much obscure or more leftfield music was being pushed by him on a major national outlet (albeit in late evening). we don't really have (or perhaps need) that gatekeeper role now.

1979 does certainly have a shout for this thread.
niamhm
Known user

Post by niamhm »

At 54 yr old 1979 was ideally chronologically placed to make a big impact on me, I was 13/14 yr old and music, new music had, unexpectedly started to have quite an influence on me. I had also gotten my first paper round and had my own money for the first time ever and would spend most Saturdays between The Other Record Shop and Ground Beat in Stirling checking I was spending my limited cash the right way and not on some dogs dinner of a single - it goes without saying this happened numerous times, such was the life of an early `80s teenage `indie kid`- a visit to the Fountain Cafe for a bag of chips was an essential munch rain or shine, unlike the two great record shops The Fountain Cafe is still there and has and still does the best Doner Kebab in Stirling if your ever round that way, good Turkish lads, Besiktas fans go check it out, you wont be disappointed, all down to the salad.

I think 10 of the albums Runcible highlighted have had a small to profound effect on the young Mckenzie, been thinking on this for a few days and I can only really thing of 1989 maybe for a similar reaction, will think about it a bit more but 89/90 seems to feel like a right purple patch as well.
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

olan wrote: Sat Jul 11, 2020 11:14 am The one thing I wouldn’t agree with Runcible on is The Damned LP. I would put Unknown Pleasures and Metal Box in joint first place.
Fair enough but that Damned album is a totally subjective choice. The impact it had on me is hard to measure. I still play it all the time and love it as much as I did back then.

At the time I didn't understand Metal Box at all. Mind you it took years before I really got the first PiL album too but I regard that as something of a masterpiece now!
olan
Known user

Post by olan »

runcible wrote: Tue Jul 14, 2020 7:39 am
olan wrote: Sat Jul 11, 2020 11:14 am The one thing I wouldn’t agree with Runcible on is The Damned LP. I would put Unknown Pleasures and Metal Box in joint first place.
Fair enough but that Damned album is a totally subjective choice. The impact it had on me is hard to measure. I still play it all the time and love it as much as I did back then.

At the time I didn't understand Metal Box at all. Mind you it took years before I really got the first PiL album too but I regard that as something of a masterpiece now!
I really missed out on the majority of the punk thing as it was 1978 before I really started listening to music with any real interest at which stage punk had lost it's way a bit and New Wave was starting to pick up. I'll make of point of giving that LP a listen though. The Damned have almost completely passed me by although I have seen them live several times.
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

Punk changed everything for me. Seeing the Pistols play Pretty Vacant on Top of the Pops when I was 13 remains the most important musical moment of my life. My 'before and after' moment. I'd heard about punk but never heard actually heard any of the music. I sat there, jaw agape, at the incredible sight and sound on the TV. Still love that song.
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

do you think there's an element of truth to the theory that we connect most strongly to whatever music we discovered in our teens/early 20s?
the excitement of youth, that time when we are shaping an identity, etc can make us feel a strong connection.

I think there's some truth to it, but having said that some of my favourite bands are those I've discovered in the past 10-15 years.
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

I certainly used to think that. A lot of music I love was discovered at a younger age. Well - 1979 for example, when I was 14. A key era was the late 80s when I was around 23, 24. Spacemen 3 hit me then. But I was 43 when I got I to the Grateful Dead and I've been obsessed with a lot of their music ever since. I was older than that when I discovered Shack & Michael Head & that's become a major direction for me. Lots of great discoveries in my older years so I'm always hungry for new music. My tastes have changed a lot too as I find myself into far less noisy stuff!
olan
Known user

Post by olan »

I've certainly gone back and listened to bands/styles of music that were absolutely verboten to like if you were into post-punk and new wave. I love the Grateful Dead, own quite a few prog LPs, am partial to the odd blast of Led Zeppelin, and own quite a lot of Jazz. None of this would have been acceptable 20 years ago when I would have dismissed anything that involved vocal 'performances', improvised jamming or lengthy guitar solos out of hand. I like to think of it as mellowing with age but it is probably the onset of decrepitude.

My before/after moment on TV was watching Joy Division doing Transmission and She's Lost Control on Something Else. I'd never seen anything like Ian Curtis prior to that, or possibly since for that matter.....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f6KZ4yUfzL8
mh
Known user

Post by mh »

1991 and 1992 were awesome, probably the last true "vintage years" for me, when it seemed you couldn't go a week without tripping over another bunch of classic releases. Crucially, they've all aged well, unlike some of what came out not too long after. So you can pull out something that was brilliant in 1991/92, like Tindersticks or Levitation, and it'll still be brilliant today.

1997 was also a good year, but it had fewer great releases than the glory days of 1991/92. There were maybe 4, 5, great releases.

1988 was another fantastic year, there was so much good stuff came out that year.
niamhm
Known user

Post by niamhm »

mh wrote: Thu Jul 16, 2020 7:07 am 1991 and 1992 were awesome, probably the last true "vintage years" for me, when it seemed you couldn't go a week without tripping over another bunch of classic releases. Crucially, they've all aged well, unlike some of what came out not too long after. So you can pull out something that was brilliant in 1991/92, like Tindersticks or Levitation, and it'll still be brilliant today.

1997 was also a good year, but it had fewer great releases than the glory days of 1991/92. There were maybe 4, 5, great releases.

1988 was another fantastic year, there was so much good stuff came out that year.
I must say I think 1997 had a lot more than 4 or 5 great releases, way more, but its all about opinions, I also think the notion that there are less classic albums released these days than in the 90`s or whatever is a bit of a nonsense as well,

As far as great yrs for albums I`m going with 1989

De La Soul - 3Ft High And Rising
Lou Reed - New York
New Order - Technique
Soul II Soul - Club Classics Vol 1
Bob Dylan - Oh Mercy
Jesus And Mary Chain - Automatic
The Cure - Disintegation
Perfect Disaster - Up
Spacemen 3 - Playing With Fire
Blue Nile - Hats
Pixies - Doolittle
Beastie Boys - Pauls Boutique
A.R. Kane - `i`
Aerosmith - Pump
N.W.A. - Straight Out Of Compton
Galaxie 500 - On Fire
The Cult - Sonic Temple
Kate Bush - The Sensual World
Roy Orbison - Mystery Girl
The Pastels - Sitting Pretty

Pretty good yr I reckon, a lot of doors opening.
stegraham
Known user

Post by stegraham »

A while ago, well it's probably years ago now, we all listed our top 50/100 albums. It'd be intersting to see these lists split into years - to see if it reflects what we've been discussing in this thread. I'm sure mine would shown quite a few from the early 90s!

Ste
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

This has become a very interesting thread and people are adding things I didn't expect at first which is really fascinating to read!

I like the idea of seeing which of your favourite albums came out when. That'll take a little research but I'm curious about my own tastes on that front.

I also like Olan's angle about what was 'acceptable' to like at certain times. I know that feeling as I grew up as an Abba and Elton John fan until I saw the Pistols on TV! But around that time a guy at school had Led Zeppelin 2 - one of Olan's no-no areas - and that had a huge impact on me. I'm still a massive Led Zep fan. When I got into punk I thought Led Zep - although I was really into them - were a band the punks would look down on, but of course they had an influence on that scene (Communication Breakdown is pretty much punk). In about '83 I got to know Rat Scabies of The Damned as I was a big fan and kept writing to them. We ended up as friends and I still have sporadic contact with him. One day, must have been in '83, I was driving Rat somewhere and he looked at the cassettes I had in the car. Without hesitation he grabbed Led Zep 2 and stuck it on and then drummed along to it in perfect fashion. Turns out he was a massive Bonham fan and loved most of the LZ catalogue. Kind of surprised me at the time but it makes sense if you think about it! The Damned were very psychedelic at times, as well as being very rock too...
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

runcible wrote: Wed Jul 15, 2020 6:58 pm I certainly used to think that. A lot of music I love was discovered at a younger age. Well - 1979 for example, when I was 14. A key era was the late 80s when I was around 23, 24. Spacemen 3 hit me then. But I was 43 when I got I to the Grateful Dead and I've been obsessed with a lot of their music ever since. I was older than that when I discovered Shack & Michael Head & that's become a major direction for me. Lots of great discoveries in my older years so I'm always hungry for new music. My tastes have changed a lot too as I find myself into far less noisy stuff!
Yeah I'd generally agree. There is something about the music you discovered when you were young, and you do get some people where their tastes basically got frozen in time at a certain point.
But as I said, some of my favorite acts I basically only discovered within the past few years. As you allude to, there's also the fact that as you get older you tend to care less about musical allegiances and scenes. Plus the fact that new music is so easy to find these days (almost too easy, you can drown). Lots of factors going on.
Laz69
Known user

Post by Laz69 »

On the flipside of this discussion about certain music being important at points in time, some music which i was mad about at the time fails to have the same effect nowadays. Nirvana, for me, are a good example. I LOVED them back at the start of the 90s and they opened so many doors for me, but i recently stuck on a couple of their albums and felt really underwhelmed after listening. I enjoyed the listen, but it just felt... flat.

I agree with Runci (and others) that our tastes are always evolving and we are constantly discovering new things, old and new, that enlighten us. I suppose time, place and age are all big factors in this. Maybe i've just been spoiled with good music over the years, but there has definitely been a shift in what i look for in music, both sonically and mentally.

I definitely think the last decade has really exploded with great new music too, probably even more so than the 00s.
space
Known user

Post by space »

angelsighs wrote: Wed Jul 15, 2020 11:39 am do you think there's an element of truth to the theory that we connect most strongly to whatever music we discovered in our teens/early 20s?
the excitement of youth, that time when we are shaping an identity, etc can make us feel a strong connection.

I think there's some truth to it, but having said that some of my favourite bands are those I've discovered in the past 10-15 years.

absolutely

for younger people 2000/2001 would be what to older people 1977 or 1992 was. most of the music for the next 20 years or so was derivative of coldplay or the strokes.

plus it is shaped by our tastes. no one has mentioned 1824 which is a year of note (see below) for classical music, same as late 80s for rap or 20s for big bands etc.

Ludwig van Beethoven
Missa Solemnis
Symphony No. 9 in D minor "Choral"
Hector Berlioz – Messe solennelle
Ferdinando Carulli – 18 Petits morceaux, Op. 211
Frederic Chopin – Mazurka Op. 7 No. 4
Johann Baptist Cramer – Piano Sonata, Op. 63
Carl Czerny – Piano Sonata Nos.3, 4, and 5, Op. 57, 65 and 76
Friedrich Ernst Fesca – String Quartet, Op.34
Fanny Hensel – Sonata for Piano in C minor
Johann Nepomuk Hummel – Introduction et rondo brillant, Op. 98
Friedrich Kuhlau
3 Grand Solos, Op. 57
3 Sonatinas, Op. 59
3 Sonatas with Variations, Op. 60
Kaspar Kummer – Flute Trio, Op. 24
Maximillian Joseph Leidesdorf – Horn Sonata, Op. 164
Felix Mendelssohn – Symphony No. 1 in C minor, Op. 11
Bernhard Molique – Flute Concerto, Op. 69
George Onslow
Piano Trio No.8, Op. 26
Piano Trio No.9, Op. 27
Antoine Reicha – 6 Piano Trios, Op. 101
Ferdinand Ries – Rule Britannia, Op. 116
Franz Schubert: List of compositions by Franz Schubert (1824), D 799–822, including:
Octet, D 803
String Quartet No. 13, D 804 (Rosamunde)
String Quartet No. 14, D 810 (Death and the Maiden)
Sonata in C major for piano four-hands, D 812
"Gebet", D 815
Arpeggione Sonata, D 821 (Grand Duo)
space
Known user

Post by space »

runcible wrote: Fri Jul 17, 2020 11:33 am
I also like Olan's angle about what was 'acceptable' to like at certain times.
in chronicles dylan talks about being knocked out by sinatra's low ebb but knowing it wasn't the time for that then i.e. he was to concentrate on 'folk' music

40/50 odd years later dylan released the american songbook albums he had always wanted to, so maybe less of what was 'publicly' acceptable and more of personally acceptable in terms of one's development. after all could dylan sing 'lucky old sun' when he was only 20?
Zenchan
Known user

Post by Zenchan »

From when I started buying music onwards (1993) I often think 1997 and 2002 were incredible years.
toomilk
Known user

Post by toomilk »

1982!

The Fall - Hex Enduction Hour + Look, Know 7" + Room To Live
Bruce Springsteen - Nebraska
Clash - Combat Rock
Cure - Pornography
Elvis Costello - Imperial Bedroom
Kate Bush - The Dreaming
The Gun Club - Miami
Fleetwood Mac - Mirage (shut it)

After that list, I'm thinking maybe it's not the best but an interesting year to look at. I just love those Fall releases. They don't sound like anything else.
Aquarian-Time
Known user

Post by Aquarian-Time »

Kev..Fear not i like Mirage (an overlooked gem in the Mac canon )
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

Aquarian-Time wrote: Mon Jul 27, 2020 11:08 am Kev..Fear not i like Mirage (an overlooked gem in the Mac canon )
Me too! The expanded edition is well worthwhile!
Greeny
Known user

Post by Greeny »

OK, here's a punt.

This year is shaping up to be pretty extraordinary, simply because with no gigs possible artists are pushing the boat out with recorded materials, while music lovers are splashing out all that gig money on tons of physical product. I know I am - my Bandcamp has exploded!

So while they won't go down as legendary records like some of the ones mentioned up the thread, I will always look to my new recordings by people like Daniel Avery, Kaitlyn Aurelia Smith, CoH, Utopia Strong, Howlround, Polypores and others as special moments in time. Working from home I've had so much more time to immerse myself in them and they've really kept me going on the difficult days...

And there are still four-and-a-bit months to go!
SpEnCeR1
Known user

Post by SpEnCeR1 »

Laz69 wrote: Fri Jul 10, 2020 8:49 am
The Boo Radleys - Everything's Alright Forever
i remember being beside myself with excitement waiting for this to be released then it getting a 5 star review in Select.

a strange and magical record for sure