Select Magazine archive (Spiritualized articles)

For new sounds, old sounds and favourite sound discussion...

Moderators: sunny, BzaInSpace, runcible, spzretent

angelsighs
Known user

Select Magazine archive (Spiritualized articles)

Post by angelsighs »

Not sure if this has come up on the board before, but somebody has scanned in a whole bunch of Select magazines from the 90s.
I've had a nostalgic time reading back through some of them.

It's not a complete archive (and in fact with each issue they've only scanned a few pages) but still great.

Fair amount of Spiritualized content including reviews of a couple of Glastonbury shows, interviews, and single & album reviews. both LGM and Ladies and Gents 'only' get 4 stars each :) and it's this magazine which had a free tape containing the alternate version of Spread Your Wings.

https://selectmagazinescans.monkeon.co. ... ritualized

if you search for The Verve there's also a nice article going through their discography and the story behind the artwork. it's weird how slightly dismissive it is of some of the early work though, almost like it was just a build up to Urban Hymns! surely most serious fans properly view it the other way around now!
200bars
Known user

Re: Select Magazine archive (Spiritualized articles)

Post by 200bars »

+1 on the nostalgia trip!

Great find - really enjoyed looking back at these. I used to love reading Select and Q...
Dreamweapon
Known user

Post by Dreamweapon »

Pls see my post under the Cop Zone if you're interested in buying LOTS of Spz/Spacemen etc featured music papers - FAR too many to list individually but have loads....
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

200bars wrote: Wed Aug 12, 2020 1:25 am +1 on the nostalgia trip!

Great find - really enjoyed looking back at these. I used to love reading Select and Q...
good isn't it?
reading an old music magazine really instantly takes you back to an era. it's not just the reviews and articles, even just the adverts and stuff as to what music was out at that time.
even fun stuff with perspective- like how certain bands were big news at the time, but are hardly mentioned now. whereas others were footnotes but have been remembered fondly.

Dreamweapon- I'd be tempted by those mags but alas I just don't have space for such things any more. I used to have a pretty good stash myself but a few years a go I am sure I just chucked a lot of them!