Verve Peterborough 1992 footage

For new sounds, old sounds and favourite sound discussion...

Moderators: sunny, BzaInSpace, runcible, spzretent

spzretent
Site Admin

Verve Peterborough 1992 footage

Post by spzretent »

The best example of just how good these guys were live early on. Especially Nick McCabe.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?fbclid=Iw ... e=youtu.be
http://www.lilmoxie.com
Detroit, Music, Sports and Other Stuff(including Spiritualized, Spacemen 3)
SpEnCeR1
Known user

Re: Verve Peterborough 1992 footage

Post by SpEnCeR1 »

this is lovely, the sound quality is pretty great. i first saw them a few months later on the Gravity Grave tour in Sheffield they were a lot more overwhelming then if that makes sense; the confidence levels probably starting to soar, they seem a little timid here ... maybe its the audience (?) great stuff though.
Aquarian-Time
Known user

Post by Aquarian-Time »

oh man to have seen them in 92/93. People always say how jealous they are that i saw the Verve in 95 in small venues (and Glasto) but I try and explain, just what i would have given to have seen them in this golden period.
Great footage to be fair as well. Brake lights was kicking around for years clearly, never found a home other than on the deluxe reissues
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

My shop was asked to set up at Lollapalooza when Verve played the second stage and were followed by the Flaming Lips (back when they were good and noisy with Ronald Jones). It was 4 days here in the Detroit area. Verve played unreleased songs every set. It was a blast. I think it was 1994. I saw them several times in 1993 too. Best live band I have ever seen during that era.
SpEnCeR1
Known user

Post by SpEnCeR1 »

Aquarian-Time wrote: Wed Jan 27, 2021 9:17 pm oh man to have seen them in 92/93. People always say how jealous they are that i saw the Verve in 95 in small venues (and Glasto) but I try and explain, just what i would have given to have seen them in this golden period.
Great footage to be fair as well. Brake lights was kicking around for years clearly, never found a home other than on the deluxe reissues
saw them 6 times between late '92 and late '93, only one of those shows was a bummer. have you heard the early live version of 'where the geese go' called 'anyway anyway' ? that's a corker.
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

What a find. The legends are true then, it's mad how good they were this early on.
Sound quality really good for what must be a camcorder. Sounding huge in basically the back room of a pub. And every band member playing their part equally. It's obvious to focus on Nick but the rhythm section are also great leaving just the right amount of space.

One Way To Go is a great song. Always thought it was their version of the early Stone Roses sound some of those little guitar licks are pure John Squire.
Shinesalight
Known user

Post by Shinesalight »

What a great video. I remember seeing them above a pub in Brighton around the time 'All In The Mind' was released so probably around the same time as this vid. Very similar mesmerising performance. I recall Ashcroft climbed on top of one of the big speakers on stage and just sat their crouched down. Great gig. Don't think I saw them again until their first comeback gig at the Roundhouse about 15 years ago.
www.dronerockrecords.com
The Home of Drone
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

That's hell of a gap between Verve gigs Ads!
I'm curious whether people knew what they saw at the time was special, or were they just another band?
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

Oh and look who's resurfaced! He'd been teasing some solo ambient stuff for ages.
Not listened yet.

https://nickmccabe1.bandcamp.com/album/we-are-are-we
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

angelsighs wrote: Thu Feb 04, 2021 5:37 pm That's hell of a gap between Verve gigs Ads!
I'm curious whether people knew what they saw at the time was special, or were they just another band?
I knew I had never heard a guitar make sounds like that before on the ASIH US tour. The thickness just sucking you in. It was stunning.
SpEnCeR1
Known user

Post by SpEnCeR1 »

angelsighs wrote: Thu Feb 04, 2021 5:37 pm That's hell of a gap between Verve gigs Ads!
knew it was special, was in love with them since the All In The Mind EP , they could be overwhelming live back then, it was a mix of the groove, the guitars and Ashcroft bobbing about lifting the vibe up.
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

Very cool, wish I could have seen them then. In fact I only saw them on the reunion tour, as I was slightly too young even to see them in the urban hymns era.

It's also impressive how fully formed they are this early on. No crap early songs when they were finding their feet or anything. All In The Mind is still a great song
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

angelsighs wrote: Sun Feb 07, 2021 9:33 am Very cool, wish I could have seen them then. In fact I only saw them on the reunion tour, as I was slightly too young even to see them in the urban hymns era.

It's also impressive how fully formed they are this early on. No crap early songs when they were finding their feet or anything. All In The Mind is still a great song
They were pretty damn good on the reunion tour too. Lucky there is so much amazing footage of them early in their career. That Camden show is pretty incredible.
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

spzretent wrote: Sun Feb 07, 2021 3:27 pm
angelsighs wrote: Sun Feb 07, 2021 9:33 am Very cool, wish I could have seen them then. In fact I only saw them on the reunion tour, as I was slightly too young even to see them in the urban hymns era.

They were pretty damn good on the reunion tour too. Lucky there is so much amazing footage of them early in their career. That Camden show is pretty incredible.
Yep, I had some reservations about some aspects of the reunion shows I saw (eg Nicks guitar far too quiet) and they were obviously quite a different beast by then. But I think they still had it overall, and I still listen to boots from that tour too.

I had a listen to the new Nick release, nothing mind-blowing but some nice moments and you can tell it's him. Hopefully this will be the start of him getting his archive of solo ambient stuff out there and we can root through and make sense of it