*** Spaceman Reissue Program ***

For new sounds, old sounds and favourite sound discussion...

Moderators: sunny, BzaInSpace, runcible, spzretent

Jasonsmith
Known user

Re: *** Spaceman Reissue Program ***

Post by Jasonsmith »

Dreamweapon wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 1:24 pm .So what do you guys reckon then - should we be ordering from this site?

Seems odd that there's no mention on the main Spz site...
JPC is a kosher shop, I order stuff from them, especially since shipping from the UK became mad expensive
Dreamweapon
Known user

Post by Dreamweapon »

Jasonsmith wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 2:56 pm
Dreamweapon wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 1:24 pm .So what do you guys reckon then - should we be ordering from this site?

Seems odd that there's no mention on the main Spz site...
JPC is a kosher shop, I order stuff from them, especially since shipping from the UK became mad expensive
Really sorry, but does anyone on here know though whether this a genuine release and part of the reissue program. Should we be ordering this?
dselevan2
Known user

Re: The Spaceman Reissue Program

Post by dselevan2 »

sm-iom wrote: Wed Feb 24, 2021 2:13 pm Woop woop https://www.spiritualized.com/blogs/new ... ue-program

Does anyone else’s white vinyl copy skip on 200 bars? Sounds like a mastering glitch
sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

@Dreamweapon: I'm sure it's totally legit but if you're that concerned why not just wait until it's officially announced? Should be able to grab a copy then no problem.
On an unrelated note, I somehow ended up having to choose delivery by courier for my few items of merch :?
Nineteen...Nineteen...Six Five
dselevan2
Known user

Post by dselevan2 »

I’m not too satisfied with glitches like this one: https://youtube.com/shorts/BYkEcap4iwM?feature=share

I’ve never had much luck w white vinyl and think I would skip the gimmicky releases of pure phase (glow in dark etc) just my 2 cents. Anyone else’s skip around like that?
BessieBoporBach
Known user

Post by BessieBoporBach »

dselevan2 wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 5:13 pm I’m not too satisfied with glitches like this one: https://youtube.com/shorts/BYkEcap4iwM?feature=share

I’ve never had much luck w white vinyl and think I would skip the gimmicky releases of pure phase (glow in dark etc) just my 2 cents. Anyone else’s skip around like that?
That sounds more like a turntable setup issue (VTF or antiskate) than a vinyl QC issue. Vinyl QC problems would be things like a tearing noise (nonfill) or static like my Fire copy of Perfect Prescription, or an off-center pressing. This kind of noiseless skipping is a setup issue. Some Audio Technica turntables notoriously do this on bass-heavy records.
toomilk
Known user

Post by toomilk »

Got an email saying mine is on its way. Estimated to be here by Monday. womp womp

Hopefully doesn't have any glitches. I purchased the white as well as the black, so we'll see!
mywhitenoise
Known user

Post by mywhitenoise »

Does the white vinyl come with a digital code? Anyone order/receive the CD? I only ordered the record, but would love to get a digital copy.
dselevan2
Known user

Post by dselevan2 »

BessieBoporBach wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 6:45 pm
dselevan2 wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 5:13 pm I’m not too satisfied with glitches like this one: https://youtube.com/shorts/BYkEcap4iwM?feature=share

That sounds more like a turntable setup issue (VTF or antiskate) than a vinyl QC issue. Vinyl QC problems would be things like a tearing noise (nonfill) or static like my Fire copy of Perfect Prescription, or an off-center pressing. This kind of noiseless skipping is a setup issue. Some Audio Technica turntables notoriously do this on bass-heavy records.
I tried it on both my turntables.

Also don’t agree. I had this white my bloody valentine record that did the same sound and was confirmed as defect by the manufacturer. I think these colored pressings are more prone to these and they tend to be on the first or last track and not in the middle of the record. That one was white too. I did try adjusting the skating of course.

Edit: of course others on Facebook now say theirs skip on 200 bars as well
Last edited by dselevan2 on Wed Apr 21, 2021 4:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
dselevan2
Known user

Post by dselevan2 »

Didn’t mean to sound grumpy, I just wish I stuck to my gut and got the black one. Never had this kind of issue with a traditional record
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

see I would say that all those issues are why CDs are better.. but the initial CD did have that glitch as well!

I'd agree that that german site looks legit, but why not wait until the official announcement anyway? if LGM was announced in Feb for Apr release, then the PP announcement shouldn't be too far off if it's coming out in June

I saw on twitter some people who have received their goodies had some Lazer Guided Melodies badges thrown in for free.
dselevan2
Known user

Post by dselevan2 »

angelsighs wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 8:42 am see I would say that all those issues are why CDs are better.. but the initial CD did have that glitch as well!

I'd agree that that german site looks legit, but why not wait until the official announcement anyway? if LGM was announced in Feb for Apr release, then the PP announcement shouldn't be too far off if it's coming out in June

I saw on twitter some people who have received their goodies had some Lazer Guided Melodies badges thrown in for free.
Agree 100%. So the CD glitched on that song? Maybe it’s
Straight from the digital master and not analog like they said. Who knows? I don’t remember it. My Dad has a CD Player and I’m considering getting it. Vinyl does sound great.

The shipping was top notch and it did come w goodies. Just buy it locally or from spiritualized.com. I think the only one that sold out quickly was the gimmicky white one that skips and it still took a couple days to sell
Out. Also rough trade had them with a free poster. Anyway. They sent mine from San Francisco and I live in La so the shipping and support seem great. Looks like they have a good distribution network.
The German site might just have a placeholder on their website. Happens all the time. For example, Best Buy will list a phone before its released. Usually this is an accident. Maybe some glitch sent them over the catalog number or maybe their web person is going on vacation so they built the page early. I wouldn’t make much of it. Products get delayed all the time after getting listed. Happens every day in the video game industry. I wouldn’t pay for something not yet announced that isn’t likely to sell out anyway. Just me.
Spiby
Known user

Post by Spiby »

angelsighs wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 8:42 am see I would say that all those issues are why CDs are better.. but the initial CD did have that glitch as well!

I'm going to stick my neck out here and agree that I prefer CD's to vinyl for 'regular' listening. I totally get the experience of vinyl, the packaging, the smell, the ritual. My turntable is completely manual, no soft-drop or auto return, so it's quite a physical event listening to vinyl. The fact is, a CD is going to be far closer to the original master than vinyl can ever hope to achieve. Considering the underlying technology it is amazing how good a good pressing can be, especially the stereo separation - mindblowing. But my (old, battered) ears struggle to tell the difference. The rest of the playback hardware has much more influence over the final sound. But every time I put on a treasured piece of vinyl, I'm conscious that the quality of it will be getting slightly worse, the surface slightly degraded.

And day to day Spotify is just so convenient. If I'm really 'listening' to an album, I'll defer to the CD. And vinyl would probably just have been a first listen, or I bought it for the packaging.

Sorry - that's gone a bit off-topic, but it's what came into my head when I saw angelsigh's comment
dselevan2
Known user

Post by dselevan2 »

Spiby wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 11:32 am

I'm going to stick my neck out here and agree that I prefer CD's to vinyl for 'regular' listening. I totally get the experience of vinyl, the packaging, the smell, the ritual. My turntable is completely manual, no soft-drop or auto return, so it's quite a physical event listening to vinyl. The fact is, a CD is going to be far closer to the original master than vinyl can ever hope to achieve. Considering the underlying technology it is amazing how good a good pressing can be, especially the stereo separation - mindblowing. But my (old, battered) ears struggle to tell the difference. The rest of the playback hardware has much more influence over the final sound. But every time I put on a treasured piece of vinyl, I'm conscious that the quality of it will be getting slightly worse, the surface slightly degraded.

And day to day Spotify is just so convenient. If I'm really 'listening' to an album, I'll defer to the CD. And vinyl would probably just have been a first listen, or I bought it for the packaging.

Sorry - that's gone a bit off-topic, but it's what came into my head when I saw angelsigh's comment
I don’t have a CD Player but I do have Apple Music and think I agree. But for me I think the ritual is what gets me out of bed and to listen to something anymore. I rarely listen in the car, and my girlfriend likes the TV on when sleeping. So I am addicted to vinyl and it is mostly the ritual of going out into the living room, randomly grabbing a record, looking at all the art work, and putting it on. I don’t think other mediums really compare. Also, for good records; say an old blues or gospel record made with the right gear, it truly sounds like you are there in the room with the artist. Most stuff now is recorded on a computer so you might as well listen to it on one. It won’t sound any better on a record player
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

in terms of the glitch, I was talking about the CD glitch back in the day on the original LGM. no idea what glitches are or aren't there now!
Spiby wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 11:32 am And day to day Spotify is just so convenient. If I'm really 'listening' to an album, I'll defer to the CD. And vinyl would probably just have been a first listen, or I bought it for the packaging.

yeah I'm kinda of the same thinking. vinyl is a great listening experience and all that, but it's not the be all and end all. It's more of a case by case thing for me.
if an album was originally mastered for CD, sequenced for CD, etc then I see no reason why the CD version isn't the optimum experience. you can see 90s and 00s albums being shoehorned onto double vinyl now- to take advantage of the vinyl boom. it's not my idea of fun to get up and turn a record over every few minutes.
I know it works the other way too. lots of older records were issued on CD with piss poor mastering (like you're listening from behind a curtain) and fit better on vinyl- 'side 1' 'side 2' etc.
but fetishising vinyl for it's own sake is a weird one.

the Spiritualized albums are definitely worthy of this reissue campaign however.
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

I ordered both the white vinyl and the CD.
There is no chance I am going to play an LP mastered at 45rpm. Too much hassle with my temperamental turntable lifting platter and switching the belt.
I asked Fat Possum if the CD was the remastered version and they said yes. We will see as my order is weaving it's way to me.
http://www.lilmoxie.com
Detroit, Music, Sports and Other Stuff(including Spiritualized, Spacemen 3)
dselevan2
Known user

Post by dselevan2 »

:wink:
spzretent wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 3:45 pm I ordered both the white vinyl and the CD.
There is no chance I am going to play an LP mastered at 45rpm. Too much hassle with my temperamental turntable lifting platter and switching the belt.
I asked Fat Possum if the CD was the remastered version and they said yes. We will see as my order is weaving it's way to me.
I don’t like 45 rpm either.
Nonetheless , the record shouldn’t skip. It sounds like a digital glitch which makes no sense.
I guess I got burned but fortunately my credit card company should have my back on this if spiritualized.com doesn’t get back to me with a reasonable resolution or exchange.
Spiby
Known user

Post by Spiby »

angelsighs wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 2:21 pm in terms of the glitch, I was talking about the CD glitch back in the day on the original LGM. no idea what glitches are or aren't there now!
Spiby wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 11:32 am And day to day Spotify is just so convenient. If I'm really 'listening' to an album, I'll defer to the CD. And vinyl would probably just have been a first listen, or I bought it for the packaging.

yeah I'm kinda of the same thinking. vinyl is a great listening experience and all that, but it's not the be all and end all. It's more of a case by case thing for me.
if an album was originally mastered for CD, sequenced for CD, etc then I see no reason why the CD version isn't the optimum experience. you can see 90s and 00s albums being shoehorned onto double vinyl now- to take advantage of the vinyl boom. it's not my idea of fun to get up and turn a record over every few minutes.
I know it works the other way too. lots of older records were issued on CD with piss poor mastering (like you're listening from behind a curtain) and fit better on vinyl- 'side 1' 'side 2' etc.
but fetishising vinyl for it's own sake is a weird one.

the Spiritualized albums are definitely worthy of this reissue campaign however.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
YARP!
sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

angelsighs wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 2:21 pm in terms of the glitch, I was talking about the CD glitch back in the day on the original LGM.
So what is this glitch then? I have both versions of the original LGM cd (4 and 12 tracks) and i can't say i've ever noticed a glitch. Time to relisten methinks!
olan
Known user

Post by olan »

Got an email today to say that the LGM reissue is on the way. I'm also expecting Sonic's remix LP to show up any day now.
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

sunray wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 4:44 pm
angelsighs wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 2:21 pm in terms of the glitch, I was talking about the CD glitch back in the day on the original LGM.
So what is this glitch then? I have both versions of the original LGM cd (4 and 12 tracks) and i can't say i've ever noticed a glitch. Time to relisten methinks!
This is totally from memory, so others may correct me. But I think it was something like the song Angel Sigh would play for a bit then skip back to the beginning of the track
dselevan2
Known user

Post by dselevan2 »

angelsighs wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 6:14 pm
This is totally from memory, so others may correct me. But I think it was something like the song Angel Sigh would play for a bit then skip back to the beginning of the track
That is not the glitch we are getting on this one.
Just poor QA like the original.
mc
Known user

Post by mc »

I missed out on the white vinyl from the Spz website so I ordered it from somewhere else (can't remember offhand!) and am looking forward to its arrival. My red LGM tee arrived last week though, and it's lovely. The invoice said "include a free badge while stocks last" or something like that but stocks obviously didn't last until my order got packed, alas :( :lol:
mywhitenoise
Known user

Post by mywhitenoise »

I don't know what glitches you guys are talking about, but you shouldn't talk about it like every single record/CD has it. Correlation is not causation, it just happened to be coincidence that one of you got a bad record, and the other one got a bad CD.

I just listened to my white vinyl, and I was relieved that there was not a single skip or "glitch" on the record. 200 Bars played perfect, and the whole album sounded great besides some surface noise.
dselevan2
Known user

Post by dselevan2 »

mywhitenoise wrote: Thu Apr 22, 2021 6:48 am I don't know what glitches you guys are talking about, but you shouldn't talk about it like every single record/CD has it. Correlation is not causation, it just happened to be coincidence that one of you got a bad record, and the other one got a bad CD.

I just listened to my white vinyl, and I was relieved that there was not a single skip or "glitch" on the record. 200 Bars played perfect, and the whole album sounded great besides some surface noise.
Did you order from spiritualized.com?
mywhitenoise
Known user

Post by mywhitenoise »

Yes, but what difference would that make? They're all pressed at the same plant.
dselevan2 wrote: Thu Apr 22, 2021 8:40 am
mywhitenoise wrote: Thu Apr 22, 2021 6:48 am I don't know what glitches you guys are talking about, but you shouldn't talk about it like every single record/CD has it. Correlation is not causation, it just happened to be coincidence that one of you got a bad record, and the other one got a bad CD.

sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

Turns out i never actually ordered the white vinyl from Piccadilly at all, just left the item in my cart thinking that i had checked out :oops:
Cue a panic buy from Amazon for the black vinyl and then a slightly (barely!) more measured response trawling the internet for the white vinyl which i got from Bleep. I am a twat :lol: :roll:

So i now have three separate LGM related packages coming to me. Spiritualized store hasn't shipped my merch yet (white/red tee, black glow in the dark tee, mug and print).
I have no idea why i think any of this may be of interest to you lot.
rapideye
Known user

Post by rapideye »

Maybe not much but we all love a happy ending all the same! :D
PopeJez
Known user

Post by PopeJez »

Looks like there are more white vinyl copies in the UK store for those that missed out
mywhitenoise
Known user

Post by mywhitenoise »

PopeJez wrote: Thu Apr 22, 2021 6:35 pm Looks like there are more white vinyl copies in the UK store for those that missed out
https://www.roughtrade.com/us/spiritual ... 82bc47e356
niamhm
Known user

Post by niamhm »

T shirt and mug arrived yesterday - strangely transfixed watching the mug change colour, how easily I`m pleased :lol: - and a couple of nice badges thrown in for good measure, record arrived today that came from Resident in Brighton, looks great, might play it in a bit, happy boy.
BessieBoporBach
Known user

The 1996 US reissue of LGM had a glitch at the start of track 4 (Angel Sigh) where it played for 1 minute then skipped back to roughly the beginning of the track (about a half-second into the fade-in) and started over. The skip was hard-coded into the data on the disc, it was not a manufacturing fault.

The error didn't appear on the original issues of the album or on the 12-track European rereleases.
BessieBoporBach
Known user

dselevan2 wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 1:33 am

I tried it on both my turntables.

Also don’t agree. I had this white my bloody valentine record that did the same sound and was confirmed as defect by the manufacturer. I think these colored pressings are more prone to these and they tend to be on the first or last track and not in the middle of the record. That one was white too. I did try adjusting the skating of course.

Edit: of course others on Facebook now say theirs skip on 200 bars as well
Very interesting, thanks for the update (and sorry to make the mistaken suggestion that it might be a setup problem).

I haven't had the experience that colored vinyl performs differently than black vinyl (since vinyl starts clear, all vinyl is colored vinyl), but it's sad to hear that many people are having problems with their pressings.
nghst
Known user

Post by nghst »

Something else here. I just found this review of LGM in honor of the reissuing. I'm looking forward to getting my shirt.

https://louderthanwar.com/spiritualized ... ue-review/
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

White vinyl copies are starting to turn up at the indie record stores now that it's release date. So people haven't missed out if they didn't order from the website
mywhitenoise
Known user

Post by mywhitenoise »

BessieBoporBach wrote: Thu Apr 22, 2021 9:20 pm I haven't had the experience that colored vinyl performs differently than black vinyl (since vinyl starts clear, all vinyl is colored vinyl), but it's sad to hear that many people are having problems with their pressings.
I think it's only been one person that's reported an issue, right? Mine was fine, no skips at all.
dselevan2
Known user

Post by dselevan2 »

mywhitenoise wrote: Fri Apr 23, 2021 12:42 am
BessieBoporBach wrote: Thu Apr 22, 2021 9:20 pm I haven't had the experience that colored vinyl performs differently than black vinyl (since vinyl starts clear, all vinyl is colored vinyl), but it's sad to hear that many people are having problems with their pressings.
I think it's only been one person that's reported an issue, right? Mine was fine, no skips at all.
I felt like a baby even whining about this, but someone else on Facebook had a skip on the same track so I think there is a quality issue but there could be multiple pressings of this record as there are others who have not. I ordered mine from spiritualized.com and it shipped from SF but it was available so many places and countries, I’m not sure if they all have this issue. I tried it on multiple record players and it seems odd that someone else had the same issue on the same track but who knows. If there’s only two bad ones, big deal, right? I just don’t know how many people who ordered it and have actually listened to the whole thing so am assuming it’s a lot more than 2 copies that do this. I would be totally happy if the label would just swap out the disc for me. Other than that one song the whole thing sounds gorgeous.
PopeJez
Known user

Post by PopeJez »

Daft thing to post - but having listened to LGM tonight it sounds amazing. But what really struck me is how accomplished and fully realised it sounds. It could have been released last week and still sound relevant.
dselevan2
Known user

Post by dselevan2 »

I’m in New Orleans right now and the local record shop has tons of copies of the album/ was tempted to pick up a black version as I assume it doesn’t skip. Even if it has nothing to do w the color in the vinyl; I’m assuming a less limited run will have less quality issues. Who knows/
dselevan2
Known user

Post by dselevan2 »

PopeJez wrote: Fri Apr 23, 2021 8:26 pm Daft thing to post - but having listened to LGM tonight it sounds amazing. But what really struck me is how accomplished and fully realised it sounds. It could have been released last week and still sound relevant.
Yeah this record is rad. Sounds great
Starfish
Known user

Post by Starfish »

Was the vinyl supposed to come with a download code/card?
I can't find one - and it's quite common to have them included with vinyl releases.

Otherwise you can't listen to it on the train, in the car, in the office, etc.
eelnekwah
Known user

Post by eelnekwah »

Starfish wrote: Sat Apr 24, 2021 11:07 am Was the vinyl supposed to come with a download code/card?
I can't find one - and it's quite common to have them included with vinyl releases.

Otherwise you can't listen to it on the train, in the car, in the office, etc.
Different label I know , but when I bought Fontaines DC - A Hero's Death , it didn't come with a download code . I emailed Partisan records and they emailed me a code . They said they have stopped putting download cards in with records as not many people actually use the download code , and have done this as a way to reduce their carbon footprint a little .
Be worth firing Fat Possum an email.
eelnekwah
Known user

Post by eelnekwah »

mywhitenoise wrote: Thu Apr 22, 2021 2:55 pm Yes, but what difference would that make? They're all pressed at the same plant.
dselevan2 wrote: Thu Apr 22, 2021 8:40 am

I think a lot of these sporadic issues some people report - and others don't are down to a variety of reasons . Mainly quality control after pressing , different batch loads , packing records into the sleeves and the sleeves themselves . Cardboard with no liners are horrible . Poly liners should be standard .

I mention all this as I put in a pre order for Nick Cave - Idiot Prayer , and have had a right merry ride trying to get a clean , quiet press since receiving the record. I'm sure a few of you on here may have also had a few issues with this record?

First copy - both records unacceptably noisy - returned for replacement
Second copy arrived with a good side A/B but dirty side C/D .

At this point I became aware ( via Discogs ) that lots of people were having the same issues with this record. Interestingly though -as many people were saying they had a good copy. I decided to keep the original record ( for the good A/B ) and purchase another copy from a different online retailer , with the intention of eventually getting a good C/D.

Third copy - both records extremely noisy . Returned for replacement
Forth copy - good A/B but noisy C/D. Returned for replacement
Fifth copy - BINGO - a good C/D

The surplus record has now been returned for a refund - although I've asked for a voucher as the refund

I now have a clean press of Idiot Prayer

After this longish post ,I suppose what I'm trying to say is - sometimes its all down to the luck of the draw . And just because you have issues with a record - it doesn't necessarily mean all records will be like it.

P.S Does anyone know what happens to the records that are returned to retailers ? Do they take it back to distributers/labels / pressing plants for refund - or do they get stuck with it?
dogfacedboy
New user

Post by dogfacedboy »

Playing the new (White) vinyl on a sunny Saturday afternoon

No defects - just rich bass and blissful droning

Bring on the rest

Hope your weekend listening is as good
mc
Known user

Post by mc »

my white vinyl has just arrived, will report back later re: glitches (hopefully lack of)

Interested to see this on the back:

"The artwork for this special edition features new photographs of the model figures made for the original album artwork. The figures were made by Gavin Lindsay, based on a drawing by Mr Ugly (Nicholas Brooker)"

I wonder if the models are the same ones that used to live in the Dedicated offices @spzretent has mentioned in the past. If they were lost, they've obviously been found again! Or possibly another set of models were used for the original photograph. On the close-up shots that adorn the vinyl sleeves, either cracks or manufacturing joins are clearly visible :D

Also lovely to see this on the back: "In loving memory of Nicholas (Natty) Brooker"
BessieBoporBach
Known user

mc wrote: Sat Apr 24, 2021 9:00 pm my white vinyl has just arrived, will report back later re: glitches (hopefully lack of)

"The artwork for this special edition features new photographs of the model figures made for the original album artwork. The figures were made by Gavin Lindsay, based on a drawing by Mr Ugly (Nicholas Brooker)"

I wonder if the models are the same ones that used to live in the Dedicated offices @spzretent has mentioned in the past. If they were lost, they've obviously been found again! Or possibly another set of models were used for the original photograph. On the close-up shots that adorn the vinyl sleeves, either cracks or manufacturing joins are clearly visible :D

Also lovely to see this on the back: "In loving memory of Nicholas (Natty) Brooker"
On Facebook, Will Carruthers and Steve Evans both seem to be fuming at the "loving memory" tribute to Natty...clearly no love lost between J and Will based on this and the Q interview. Pretty sad really considering that they are all pushing 60 and Natty is no longer with us
PopeJez
Known user

Post by PopeJez »

It probably doesn't need saying but Will Carruthers is just amazing on LGM.
mc
Known user

Post by mc »

BessieBoporBach wrote: Sat Apr 24, 2021 9:37 pm
mc wrote: Sat Apr 24, 2021 9:00 pm my white vinyl has just arrived, will report back later re: glitches (hopefully lack of)

On Facebook, Will Carruthers and Steve Evans both seem to be fuming at the "loving memory" tribute to Natty...clearly no love lost between J and Will based on this and the Q interview. Pretty sad really considering that they are all pushing 60 and Natty is no longer with us
Oh, that is a shame :(
mc
Known user

Post by mc »

One side in, and although the vinyl is a wee bitty warped (no worse than most modern pressings I end up getting mind) it sounds absolutely incredible. No surface noise whatsoever, amazing clarity, sounds amazing turned up loud, just wonderful :D
BessieBoporBach
Known user

PopeJez wrote: Sat Apr 24, 2021 10:09 pm It probably doesn't need saying but Will Carruthers is just amazing on LGM.
Very true, some of the most inspired electric bass playing I've ever heard. Will's magnum opus.
rapideye
Known user

Post by rapideye »

Lp sounds great to me. Nice package. All very satisfying.
BzaInSpace
Site Admin

Post by BzaInSpace »

Last night I had an impromptu listening party to this album in it’s beautifully remastered form & entirety.

Needless to say it sounded amazing - my guest was blown away - she’d never heard it before - the ‘Take Your Time’/‘Shine A Light’ side C was particularly astonishing
O P 8
Vancouver
Known user

Post by Vancouver »

Picked up the white variant at my local shop on Friday (probably would have taken the black if they had had it, tbh). Happy to report it sounds incredible. A few crackles on Side 3 but I expect it just needs a clean/few more plays. No issue with the 200 Bars skip.
jesus son
Known user

Post by jesus son »

Pure Phase reissue packaging looks interesting:

sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

I don't know if i like it or not. It's the SEM part that i'm not too keen on. Looks like it might be glow in the dark (which i do like).

Spiritualized Store is currently closed. Now we know the cut off point for buying merch!
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

I like it. it is glow in the dark- if I squint I can read that in the notes in the corner.
sunray wrote: Mon Apr 26, 2021 10:33 am Spiritualized Store is currently closed. Now we know the cut off point for buying merch!
yeah maybe the merch is kind of made to order, rather than having everything in stock the whole time.

might be sad, or is it just me that this reissue campaign is really nice in terms of having something to look forward to over coming months?
olan
Known user

Post by olan »

angelsighs wrote: Mon Apr 26, 2021 11:04 am might be sad, or is it just me that this reissue campaign is really nice in terms of having something to look forward to over coming months?
I don't think it is sad at all. I was really looking forward to the LGM reissue and Sonic's LP of remixes. I'm now looking forward to the Pure Phase reissue as my copy is a a bit knackered by repeated playing since 1995. A clean copy will be a very good thing indeed.
BzaInSpace
Site Admin

Post by BzaInSpace »

🤯🙏😌
O P 8
BzaInSpace
Site Admin

Post by BzaInSpace »

Dynamics are clearly better on what was an amazing album already. I no longer have to turn it up really loud but when I do - given this on Spotify at full HQ - the actual physical presence will kill in the best way!

This album was my intro to Spiritualized in 1997. I’ve heard it so many times and this... is the shit

‘Let it flow’! 💊 🚀
O P 8
sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

olan wrote: Mon Apr 26, 2021 12:31 pm
angelsighs wrote: Mon Apr 26, 2021 11:04 am might be sad, or is it just me that this reissue campaign is really nice in terms of having something to look forward to over coming months?
I don't think it is sad at all. I was really looking forward to the LGM reissue and Sonic's LP of remixes. I'm now looking forward to the Pure Phase reissue as my copy is a a bit knackered by repeated playing since 1995. A clean copy will be a very good thing indeed.
I'm with Olan here. Not the slightest bit sad. LGM & PP were two albums in need of a well executed reissue, which appears to be the case here. Besides, BZA was entertaining a lady on Saturday night thereby striking a blow for all of us board nerds.

My black vinyl arrived yesterday from Amazon :D It's bonkers how they put an LP mailer inside a box large enough to ship a turntable in.
No download code though.
toomilk
Known user

Post by toomilk »

Finally put on LGM over the weekend and it sounds incredible. No skipping or pressing issues as someone on YouTube reported. Sounds better than the original pressing I have.

Really don't like the new packaging of it though. We'll see what they do for the others!
toomilk
Known user

Post by toomilk »

Yeah, looks like the artwork for Pure Phase will be heavily leaning on the glow in the dark special edition CD of it.

Also, LGM got "Best New Reissue" from Pitchfork: https://pitchfork.com/reviews/albums/sp ... -melodies/
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

sunray wrote: Mon Apr 26, 2021 4:37 pm I'm with Olan here. Not the slightest bit sad. LGM & PP were two albums in need of a well executed reissue, which appears to be the case here. Besides, BZA was entertaining a lady on Saturday night thereby striking a blow for all of us board nerds.
Good to know others are on the same page! With no gigs or holidays to look forward to, having a little series like this to look forward to at intervals is great. Simple pleasures and all that.
All the merch they are releasing alongside it too- great for us hardcore fans! Which going by your post above, you seem to be going all in on yourself Joycey :) I think you've single-handedly paid a good part of Jason's rent this month!
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

I am really looking forward to the PP merch. No need for anymore t shirts but the other stuff I am keen on.
In fact today I received my LGM mug and badge. I thought the addition of the red and blue badges was such a nice touch I emailed the company that handles the merch. I am sure they thought it was complaint. I can only imagine their surprise when it was from someone thanking them for the additional pins.
They replied immediately and thanked me and said it was the bands idea.
http://www.lilmoxie.com
Detroit, Music, Sports and Other Stuff(including Spiritualized, Spacemen 3)
Pat Garrett
Known user

Post by Pat Garrett »

Pure Phase now available for pre-order on the Fat Possum site.
Sim
Known user

Post by Sim »

Looks like only on the US site for now. UK only has LGM.

Are they only showing the tracklisting for the CD or have they modified the vinyl tracklisting so it matches the CD now?