*** Spaceman Reissue Program ***

For new sounds, old sounds and favourite sound discussion...

Moderators: sunny, BzaInSpace, runcible, spzretent

sm-iom
Known user

The Spaceman Reissue Program

Post by sm-iom »

One Asian Under A Groove
Known user

Post by One Asian Under A Groove »

From the Spiritualized Twitter account:

Lazer Guided Melodies - the classic debut album reissued with new artwork on double 180-gram white vinyl

And new Lazer Guided Melodies merchandise based on the original, vintage designs

Available to pre-order now via spiritualized.com

———

AAAAAHHHHHH!! And the next three albums to follow later!!!!
Greeny
Known user

Re: *** Spaceman Reissue Program ***

Post by Greeny »

Please let this be of VMP quality... pretty please!
purespace
Known user

Post by purespace »

from the spiritualized.com website, pre-ordering is now available:

The Spaceman Reissue Program edition of Lazer Guided Melodies promises to give those recordings the fullest spectrum audio and physical treatment they’ve deserved since 1992. It will be the first in this series of 180g double albums mastered from a half speed lacquer cut from original sources by Alchemy Mastering, presented in a gatefold jacket adorned by reworked art by Mark Farrow, and available in both a standard black vinyl pressing and limited edition white vinyl.

Alongside the vinyl reissue, for a limited time there will also be a comprehensive series of Lazer Guided Melodies merch based on original vintage designs available via spiritualized.com
I think I feel it coming on
heisenberg
Known user

Post by heisenberg »

Great news. Glad that Spaceman is getting to reissue these albums on his own terms. And some classic merchandise too! Good to have the option to get a new t-shirt, it has been a while since any official stuff has been available to buy. I'm particularly excited to see what the Pure Phase and Let it Come Down reissues are like. The rest of this year is looking better already. Thank you Jason!
Vancouver
Known user

Post by Vancouver »

FINALLY. Very happy about this. Picked up the VMP pressing last year...looking forward to the other three.
TheWarmth
Known user

Post by TheWarmth »

This is great news. Ordered the white vinyl and red/black shirt.
thesevensteves
Known user

Post by thesevensteves »

great news indeed...so the first four albums? would this include *another* version L&GWAFIS and conclude with LICD? or skip L&GWAFIS and conclude with Amazing Grace? unpopular opinion but I'd love a remastered Amazing Grace.
toomilk
Known user

Post by toomilk »

Just got an email from VMP about Lazer Guided Melodies, so it's safe to assume that it will be high quality and the LAG release will be the same one from late last year.

EDIT: https://www.vinylmeplease.com/products/ ... 4114193498
purespace
Known user

Post by purespace »

the LGM reissue is being mastered by Alchemy Mastering - - same folks who did the VMP reissue. This will be tasty indeed.
I think I feel it coming on
rameses
Known user

Post by rameses »

Wow!

Such good news.

Ordered from Norman with zero hesitation.
It's nice to be liked,
But it's better by far to get paid.
BzaInSpace
Site Admin

Post by BzaInSpace »

🤯

Looking forward to the Pure Phase remaster...
O P 8
niamhm
Known user

Post by niamhm »

Ordered from Resident, reissue program as well, such a cool surprise
bambam
Known user

Post by bambam »

BzaInSpace wrote: Wed Feb 24, 2021 6:34 pm 🤯

Looking forward to the Pure Phase remaster...
Glow in the dark vinyl for that one ???

They should have done RGB pattern for lgm.
toomilk
Known user

Post by toomilk »

The Rough Trade site says their LGM reissue comes with a "print." Looks like it's just a print of the new white artwork.

https://www.roughtrade.com/us/spiritual ... 82bc47e356
olan
Known user

Post by olan »

There is a VinylMePlease version of the LGM reissue. If they are all the same quality as the average VMP pressing we are in business as the VMP pressings I have are all immaculate.
One Asian Under A Groove
Known user

Post by One Asian Under A Groove »

I can only add my agreement to everyone who speaks so highly of Vinyl Me Please pressings (ESPECIALLY the LAGWAFIS one), which bodes really well for these reissues.

I should point out though: often VMP has its own variation of other widely-released records, but I’m not sure that VMP’s pressing of LGM here is any different to the one available from the Spiritualized shop and other record stores. Just in case you were tempted (like me!) to be completist and get the white vinyl but also a VMP pressing. I think they are the same. VMP usually highlights its own unique variation for each record, and there’s none of that on the page for LGM.
rapideye
Known user

Post by rapideye »

Beautiful, just beautiful.
rapideye
Known user

Re: The Spaceman Reissue Program

Post by rapideye »

...just really beautiful.
Laz69
Known user

Post by Laz69 »

Oh happy day!
dselevan2
Known user

Post by dselevan2 »

Is it worth it, if you already have multiple copies of this album?

I highly recommend rough trade Mailorder. I ordered something from VMP last year and got it weeks or months after others. Ordered a bunch of stuff from RT over the years and always on point. Also you get the print.
endsprings
Known user

Post by endsprings »

So so cool. Have ordered the white vinyl and if as good as the VMP of Ladies.....we're in for a treat. Will echo what people have said too that it's so cool it's being curated by J.
https://soundcloud.com/endsprings
https://dustwindtales.wordpress.com
https://endsprings.bandcamp.com
https://twitter.com/endsprings
toomilk
Known user

Post by toomilk »

I bet all of these will be released this year. I had better start saving up...
Vancouver
Known user

Post by Vancouver »

One Asian Under A Groove wrote: Wed Feb 24, 2021 8:13 pm I should point out though: often VMP has its own variation of other widely-released records, but I’m not sure that VMP’s pressing of LGM here is any different to the one available from the Spiritualized shop and other record stores. Just in case you were tempted (like me!) to be completist and get the white vinyl but also a VMP pressing. I think they are the same. VMP usually highlights its own unique variation for each record, and there’s none of that on the page for LGM.
Yeah, the VMP shop is clearly selling the same version as all the other shops.
nghst
Known user

Post by nghst »

I just purchased the red on white shirt. I haven't got into the vinyl thing yet so I'm not purchasing one of those, but I'm happy that I can support Jason. this way.
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

toomilk wrote: Thu Feb 25, 2021 12:02 am I bet all of these will be released this year. I had better start saving up...
yep my guess would be a couple of months between each one. LICD out just in time for Christmas?

could get pretty expensive, particularly if we want to take advantage of the merch released along with each one.
thesevensteves wrote: Wed Feb 24, 2021 4:45 pm great news indeed...so the first four albums? would this include *another* version L&GWAFIS and conclude with LICD? or skip L&GWAFIS and conclude with Amazing Grace? unpopular opinion but I'd love a remastered Amazing Grace.
it mentions it somewhere in the news story- its up to LICD. don't think AG needs a remaster myself- not my favourite album by them but the sound is fine.
Jasonsmith
Known user

Post by Jasonsmith »

Will the reissue CD include the false start of Angel Sigh? :D
sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

That merch is tasty! 8) Could prove very expensive for EU customers :( Anyways, white vinyl ordered from Piccadilly and just debating with myself as to how much LGM merch i require before taking the plunge on the official site. No gigs for a year and none for the forseeable means i'm leaning towards a splurge.

They should have released LGM with Blue On Blue and Friendly Fire on vinyl as a boxset. I feel they're missing a trick with no bonus material for this reissue series.

The 23rd April release date is the same as Sonic's remix album :lol:
Nineteen...Nineteen...Six Five
stegraham
Known user

Post by stegraham »

I was hoping that, if they ever re-released the early albums, they'd take the opportunity to do some kind of "deluxe" edition. The regular album, singles/b-sides from that era, a live recording indicative of that period, radio sessions etc. Something like that. I thought the JAMC re-issues a few years back were good. 2 CDs and a DVD for each album. Maybe DVDs are a bit passé nowadays, but having all those TV appearences and videos together was a nice touch. All good though if it helps fund future Spiritualized projects. <thumbs up>

Ste
BessieBoporBach
Known user

Post by BessieBoporBach »

stegraham wrote: Thu Feb 25, 2021 3:31 pm I was hoping that, if they ever re-released the early albums, they'd take the opportunity to do some kind of "deluxe" edition. The regular album, singles/b-sides from that era, a live recording indicative of that period, radio sessions etc.
The overwhelming majority of that stuff was on Complete Works, though.

Don't get me wrong, there's lots of outtake/alternate material that could be included in a LGM set (e.g. Will's two compilations).

But I am actually happy that Jason put out Complete Works rather than having us buy the albums again to get that material. There are some omissions (e.g., the Pinkpop set, the Greenpeace 45, etc.), but not many.
good dope/good fun
Known user

Post by good dope/good fun »

Jasonsmith wrote: Thu Feb 25, 2021 1:58 pm Will the reissue CD include the false start of Angel Sigh? :D
That was my 1st introduction to the album and how it's engrained in my head.
Hearing it any other way always sounds so weird.
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

sunray wrote: Thu Feb 25, 2021 2:22 pm The 23rd April release date is the same as Sonic's remix album :lol:
It's like Blur vs Oasis all over again!!

Obviously I agree that it would have been even better if these had extra tracks and stuff (and I also had the same thought about Friendly Fire etc) however I'm guessing doing that takes a LOT more work-remixing, getting licenses for radio sessions, etc.
Plus we already had the ladies and gents demos and Friendly Fire was available for free. They'd probably get criticism for releasing these things again.
Laz69
Known user

Post by Laz69 »

Still think he missed a trick not calling it the "Spaceman Re-Entry Program"
heisenberg
Known user

Post by heisenberg »

20th Anniversary of Let it Come Down this year. I wonder if there will be anything special for its reissue given it's the last in the series. Maybe a multi-CD release of the recording sessions? I can but dream.
Vancouver
Known user

Post by Vancouver »

BessieBoporBach wrote: Thu Feb 25, 2021 4:18 pm
stegraham wrote: Thu Feb 25, 2021 3:31 pm I was hoping that, if they ever re-released the early albums, they'd take the opportunity to do some kind of "deluxe" edition. The regular album, singles/b-sides from that era, a live recording indicative of that period, radio sessions etc.
The overwhelming majority of that stuff was on Complete Works, though.

Don't get me wrong, there's lots of outtake/alternate material that could be included in a LGM set (e.g. Will's two compilations).

But I am actually happy that Jason put out Complete Works rather than having us buy the albums again to get that material. There are some omissions (e.g., the Pinkpop set, the Greenpeace 45, etc.), but not many.
Not gonna lie...would pay a lot of money for the Complete Works (especially Vol 1) on vinyl. So much amazing stuff on there.

Wish this campaign also included the two live records from the era but I guess I should just be happy with what we're getting lol
sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

I wonder will the LGM cd be 4 or 12 tracks?

Also, what exactly is Jason 'curating' here? Or do they just mean he has given his blessing to the project? How hands on is his involvement? I am not having a go, just curious.
dselevan2
Known user

Post by dselevan2 »

Mind changed. Ordered new one from spiritualized.com. Have two copies of the original one and they pop quite a bit. Looking forward to hearing this new one. The merch looks rad too. Some PURE PHASE outtakes are what we are all actually looking for though, right ?
BessieBoporBach
Known user

Vancouver wrote: Fri Feb 26, 2021 4:00 pm Not gonna lie...would pay a lot of money for the Complete Works (especially Vol 1) on vinyl. So much amazing stuff on there.

Wish this campaign also included the two live records from the era but I guess I should just be happy with what we're getting lol
I doubt this would ever happen (I think reissues of the individual singles/EPs is more likely) but it would be expensive as hell. A Complete Works vinyl set with the existing track listing would have to run at least 6 or 7 LPs. Easily over 100 GBP. Mind you, there's at least one track repeated between vol. 1 and vol. 2 so that could be dispensed with.
Vancouver
Known user

Post by Vancouver »

Oh I know. It would have to be a box set. THAT I WOULD BUY IMMEDIATELY.
heisenberg
Known user

Post by heisenberg »

LGM artwork updated to the new version on Apple Music.
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

sunray wrote: Fri Feb 26, 2021 4:53 pm I wonder will the LGM cd be 4 or 12 tracks?

Also, what exactly is Jason 'curating' here? Or do they just mean he has given his blessing to the project? How hands on is his involvement? I am not having a go, just curious.
My thoughts would be that curation in this instance means he signs off the mastering (probably not there for the whole mastering process) and also has a say in the sleeve and packaging. Not much else it can be?
olan
Known user

Post by olan »

angelsighs wrote: Wed Mar 03, 2021 6:16 pm
sunray wrote: Fri Feb 26, 2021 4:53 pm I wonder will the LGM cd be 4 or 12 tracks?

My thoughts would be that curation in this instance means he signs off the mastering (probably not there for the whole mastering process) and also has a say in the sleeve and packaging. Not much else it can be?
Hopefully he will be curating several very large royalty payments into his account to help fund the next round of Spiritualized releases
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

I am so happy Jason is involved with these remasters. If they turn out anything like the VMP LAGWAFIS we are in for a treat.
He must be involved in the merch too which is mighty tasty and hopefully it kills off the bootleggers.
I ordered the white LP, a badge and coffee mug. One thing I do not need any more of is t shirts.
Seems the white vinyl is selling out which is a very good sign.
I hope he makes good money off these. If anyone deserves it Jason does imho.
http://www.lilmoxie.com
Detroit, Music, Sports and Other Stuff(including Spiritualized, Spacemen 3)
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

Yeah good point I guess you could say the merch is curated as well.

Agree with both of you, hope Jason makes good money from this to keep the band going.
rapideye
Known user

Post by rapideye »

and conclude with Amazing Grace? unpopular opinion but I'd love a remastered Amazing Grace.
...I'm with this. AG is a great album. I think it's got all, if not most, of the ingredients of a brilliant recording. Enough to go down as top 4 Spz album for me.

I'm excited about Pure Phase though and not just the LP but the merch too. This was my 'in' to SPZ and I'm looking forward to an amazing sound from the lp and a luminous t-shirt too. Didn't really think this would ever happen. Fuck Covid.

What a great bunch of releases. Cheers Jason.
BzaInSpace
Site Admin

Post by BzaInSpace »

I don’t think it requires a remaster - but I agree that Amazing Grace is an awesome recording. It might be on the slight side - but the songs are unbeatable. Hearing that album essentially live way back in 2004 in a tiny venue in Aberdeen was a very thrilling event indeed.

I also remember the distinct pleasure of leaving a cumbersome old desktop downloading on Soulseek overnight to find in the morning I had a new album by Spiritualized. Probably at 128kbps 😌
O P 8
BzaInSpace
Site Admin

Post by BzaInSpace »

Now a sticky! I think there’ll be a lot of interesting chat going down here over the next while...
O P 8
diesel_foxxy
Known user

Post by diesel_foxxy »

I purchased one of everything except the white album since it was sold out. If the helps a little to get Jason touring again Im ready to send more his way. He has a lot of great fans like on this forum and if we can get some coins together and send his way to get him out live again count me in. Pandemic was definitely rough on many artists (and others). Bring back live music! Next SPZ tour if I can swing it I may just try to hit every show in the states.

Miss you jason & SPZ!!
heisenberg
Known user

Post by heisenberg »

flokie
Known user

Post by flokie »

BessieBoporBach wrote: Sat Feb 27, 2021 2:18 pm I doubt this would ever happen (I think reissues of the individual singles/EPs is more likely) but it would be expensive as hell. A Complete Works vinyl set with the existing track listing would have to run at least 6 or 7 LPs. Easily over 100 GBP. Mind you, there's at least one track repeated between vol. 1 and vol. 2 so that could be dispensed with.
I wouldn't be fussed about the format for a Complete Works reissue personally, whether a large LP boxset or even a basic CD reissue. I had bought Vol 1 online, when the CD arrived it had Copy Protection/DRM (if you recall majors were trying to push that onto CDs mid-00s.), so out of principles I sent it back for a refund. So I only have MP3s of Complete Works.

I've missed out on the white LGM 2xLP, and I'm not seeing anything from the local shops, so I've preordered the standard edition on the site as well as a heat changing mug that I'm rather curious about.
sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

So these mugs then. Any idea how big they are?

I remember the black L&G ones from the RFH gigs were fairly small, certainly not big enough for a satisfying cuppa!
Also, the bottom completely came off one of ours after only being used twice. Not even cracked in two or three chunks, the whole bottom section in one solid piece :evil: :shock: :roll:
flokie
Known user

Post by flokie »

I guess I'll find out in a week or so... I hope I don't get to regret my purchase!
BessieBoporBach
Known user

German retailer listing Pure Phase for June 11th:

https://www.jpc.de/s/spiritualized+pure+phase

Seems legit as the label is listed as Fat Possum and a "glow in the dark vinyl" edition is listed.
sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

BessieBoporBach wrote: Sat Apr 17, 2021 3:06 pm German retailer listing Pure Phase for June 11th:

Seems legit as the label is listed as Fat Possum and a "glow in the dark vinyl" edition is listed.
Good find! :D
I wonder will the sleeve be white with black writing? That'd look nice i think.
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

Yeah maybe he's going for kind of a 'reverse negative' thing with the reissues? I remember that Jimmy Page went for a very similar thing when the Zep albums were reissued a few years back.

I'd you look at the Spiritualized album sleeves, it would actually work with most of them

Gimme them mugs, posters and tees for each album too :)
BessieBoporBach
Known user

angelsighs wrote: Sun Apr 18, 2021 11:17 am Yeah maybe he's going for kind of a 'reverse negative' thing with the reissues? I remember that Jimmy Page went for a very similar thing when the Zep albums were reissued a few years back.

I'd you look at the Spiritualized album sleeves, it would actually work with most of them

Gimme them mugs, posters and tees for each album too :)
The reissue of LAGWAFIS 10 years ago already did that white on black thing. And of course with Pure Phase the original glow in the dark version also had the colors reversed!
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

Yeah good point! Surely that has to be the way it's going with the sleeves
dselevan2
Known user

Post by dselevan2 »

Yes, it sounds better.
At least it’s louder and doesn’t crackle as much.
Did a side to side comparison.
Of course I played the new one through the superior deck.
dselevan2
Known user

Post by dselevan2 »

sunray wrote: Sun Apr 18, 2021 10:52 am
BessieBoporBach wrote: Sat Apr 17, 2021 3:06 pm German retailer listing Pure Phase for June 11th:

Wait what?! Did anyone ordershnaffun the glowendarken?!
Dreamweapon
Known user

Post by Dreamweapon »

Is this part of the official reissue programme? No mention of it on the Spz website....
dselevan2
Known user

Post by dselevan2 »

Not sure, but , I re wired my whole stereo for this and it sounds good !
Dreamweapon
Known user

Post by Dreamweapon »

dselevan2 wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 12:49 pm Not sure, but , I re wired my whole stereo for this and it sounds good !
Sorry - really confused - so you've had it already? It says release in June. Just not sure whether to order this now or wait for the update and notification on the Spz website...
dselevan2
Known user

Post by dselevan2 »

No I have the regular old lazer guided melodies. Waiting for the pure phase with baited breath. I’m sure it’s real and can’t take that long to make one of these
dselevan2
Known user

Post by dselevan2 »

sunray wrote: Sun Apr 18, 2021 10:52 am

Something is fishy. Doesn’t this look like the CD track listing ?
Dreamweapon
Known user

Post by Dreamweapon »

.So what do you guys reckon then - should we be ordering from this site?

Seems odd that there's no mention on the main Spz site...
dselevan2
Known user

Post by dselevan2 »

Dreamweapon wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 1:24 pm .So what do you guys reckon then - should we be ordering from this site?

Seems odd that there's no mention on the main Spz site...
The track Lising doesn’t look right for the double