*** Spaceman Reissue Program ***

For new sounds, old sounds and favourite sound discussion...

Moderators: sunny, BzaInSpace, runcible, spzretent

Vancouver
Known user

Re: *** Spaceman Reissue Program ***

Post by Vancouver »

My black copy finally arrived today. Only one listen but it sounded pretty pristine.
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

Pure Phase seems to have made it to most UK record shops today.. however weirdly the glow in the dark version actually seems more plentiful, with the black version following bit later? after all the comments on here I don't really want the GITD version
Vancouver
Known user

Post by Vancouver »

Here in Vancouver I had ONLY seen the white LGM until recently. And I would still be willing to bet that 90% of the copies in shops here are the white. I expect the same for Pure Phase (haven't seen any in shops yet though).
cantona
Known user

Post by cantona »

PopeJez
Known user

Post by PopeJez »

Played the UK black vinyl last night and it sounds fantastic. I've even got used to the new running order and really like it. Great reissue.
Shinesalight
Known user

Post by Shinesalight »

Without trawling through the whole thread, is there anyway we can get digital downloads of these re-releases? Pretty sure there wasn't a d/l card in either my black or white vinyl LGM reissues and I am assuming its the same with the PP vinyl which I've still to collect from Resident.
www.dronerockrecords.com
The Home of Drone
Ian
Known user

Post by Ian »

Shinesalight wrote: Sat Jul 10, 2021 1:08 pm Without trawling through the whole thread, is there anyway we can get digital downloads of these re-releases? Pretty sure there wasn't a d/l card in either my black or white vinyl LGM reissues and I am assuming its the same with the PP vinyl which I've still to collect from Resident.
The two that have been reissued so far are available digitally from Bandcamp. I assume they are the same masters as those used for the new versions. Probably not what you were after having already shelled out for the vinyl, sorry!

https://spiritualizedband.bandcamp.com/
I have a passion sweet Lord...
http://www.spacemen3.co.uk
James T
Known user

Post by James T »

Well, my GITD arrived and it's really not great. I've only listened to LP1 and although some tracks sound really great, All of My Tears is appalling and Medication noticeably noisy at numerous points also. It's a shame because it's a great package and looks lovely, but it's not an enjoyable listen despite it being my favourite of their albums. Gonna email for the replacement, but I feel like a prick doing that?? (Slide Song sounded so great, and I am looking forward to listening to it all right through properly when the replacement comes)
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

James:

Don't feel bad. FP are expecting emails. That is why I was asked to post what I did.
I just hope some don't use this as an opportunity to get a free LP.
My GITD sounds fine and I have a pretty good set up. Linn Sondek LP 12 w/Ortofon 2M Red cartridge. If there were an issue with mine I would have heard it.

Alan
http://www.lilmoxie.com
Detroit, Music, Sports and Other Stuff(including Spiritualized, Spacemen 3)
James T
Known user

Post by James T »

I guess that's the worry, if people start to do that I feel like it's expected maybe I am doing the same! I'll probably buy both versions of LAGWAFIS to make up for it. I only have the white LGM and it sounds brilliant to me...

Lets be positive, the mugs are great!
heisenberg
Known user

Post by heisenberg »

Regarding the hand-numbered art print available from recordstore.co.uk- who is it signed by? Jason?
Dreamweapon
Known user

Post by Dreamweapon »

Shinesalight wrote: Sat Jul 10, 2021 1:08 pm Without trawling through the whole thread, is there anyway we can get digital downloads of these re-releases? Pretty sure there wasn't a d/l card in either my black or white vinyl LGM reissues and I am assuming its the same with the PP vinyl which I've still to collect from Resident.
I emailed Fat Possum and they sent me downloads for both albums
Vancouver
Known user

Post by Vancouver »

Yeah, I did that with the last one and they sent me a copy as well. Pretty kind considering they obviously never planned to include the cards in these reissues.
adamhx
Known user

Post by adamhx »

My GITD copy also has issues including on All of My Tears. There are pops and crackles in a number of places and what sounds like distortion at the start and end of some tracks.

Overall disappointing after the great sounding LGM and VMP LAGWAFIS represses. I'm also getting a bit sick of things being described as 'limited' when they really aren't. I managed to get a copy online and ordered way in advance. The release date kept getting pushed back and by the time it actually arrived there were copies for sale in my local shop for £4 cheaper than the online sale price, so once you factor in P&P I could have saved myself about £8 and got it earlier by buying there had I known it really wasn't limited!

I am loathed to try to return my copy as it is from a small independent store. I have seen on here that Fat Possum are replacing copies. I assume they are only doing that for copies that were bought directly from them?
Last edited by adamhx on Sun Jul 11, 2021 11:18 am, edited 2 times in total.
neil_jung
Known user

Post by neil_jung »

Spiritualized Pure Phase t-shirt. Flourescent, glow in the dark. Spacemen 3
Pre-owned
£155.000 bids · Time left6d 5h+ £5.00 postage

Vtg 1997 Spiritualized Ladies & Gentleman Ringer We are Floating in Space Shirt
Pre-owned
£216.86or Best Offer+ £13.54 postage estimatefrom United States20 watchers

Spiritualized T-shirt Sweet Heart Sweet Light Huh? Tour Vintage Original Indie
Pre-owned
£84.990 bids · Time left6d 5h+ £5.00 postage
two of them are still in the shop!
I’ve been visiting morgues and monasteries
Looking for the necessary body parts
Limbs and livers and brains and hearts
I want to bring someone to life - is what I want to do
I want to create my own version of you

dylan
James T
Known user

Post by James T »

I bought from Piccadilly in Manchester and have emailed so will see what they say. It's not the record stores fault so I don't see why they should be responsible for a replacement? When they replaced the faulty copies of SHSL years ago that was just anyone who contacted, so let's see. I hope it doesn't become too much of a pain for them.
adamhx wrote: Sun Jul 11, 2021 10:49 am My GITD copy also has issues including on All of My Tears. There are pops and crackles in a number of places and what sounds like distortion at the start and end of some tracks.

Overall disappointing after the great sounding LGM and VMP LAGWAFIS represses. I'm also getting a bit sick of things being described as 'limited' when they really aren't. I managed to get a copy online and ordered way in advance. The release date kept getting pushed back and by the time it actually arrived there were copies for sale in my local shop for £4 cheaper than the online sale price, so once you factor in P&P I could have saved myself about £8 and got it earlier by buying there had I known it really wasn't limited!

I am loathed to try to return my copy as it is from a small independent store. I have seen on here that Fat Possum are replacing copies. I assume they are only doing that for copies that were bought directly from them?
adamhx
Known user

Post by adamhx »

I've emailed them also. I actually bought two copies as I was going to play one and keep one unopened. Having spent £62 plus P&P I feel I should at least get a copy that is playable. I would be happy to keep one of the GITD ones sealed and swap the other for a black vinyl version if it plays better.
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

I think that Fat Possum offer is open to anyone. If your GITD LP is defective contact them. They have both UK & US offices.
The contact is: patrick@fatpossum.com
I totally agree shops should not be held responsible for this.
Dreamweapon
Known user

Post by Dreamweapon »

I too agree that shops shouldn't be held responsible and nether should the label as such - I hate this notion now that someone always needs to be held accountable for any general news story, but that's a whole other thread!

Having said that, it does seem to be really frustrating that two albums in there are recurring issues on multiple copies of both albums. When initial pressings are made, does someone not play some of these to try and avoid this happening? Just seems odd that there are several cases of this being reported two albums into this high profile reissue series. As I've mentioned before, I imagine this must also make Jason feel aggrieved....

It's also not fair on us as punters or the label.
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

There definitely seems to be a quality control issue with these reissues.
Fat Possum knew the least reliable of all colored vinyl is GITD. Someone must have insisted on GITD. Jason? Not sure.
While this is a hassle for many of you at least when things like this happen management consistently do the right thing.
Remember the issues with Sweet Heart Sweet Light? Everyone who contacted whatever label that was got a new copy.
Good thing we have this forum.
Vancouver
Known user

Post by Vancouver »

spzretent wrote: Sun Jul 11, 2021 4:53 pm There definitely seems to be a quality control issue with these reissues.
Fat Possum knew the least reliable of all colored vinyl is GITD.
Yeah, this is why I just avoided this. To be honest, the way vinyl sells these days, these coloured variants are not really going to be much more "limited" in the long run and they VERY often sound worse than the black. I encourage anyone who had issues with the GITD this time to go for the black for the remainder. Some labels (Constellation, for instance) ONLY press on black for this very reason.
adamhx
Known user

Post by adamhx »

Patrick at Fat Possum has replied and offered to send me a black vinyl copy.
thesevensteves
Known user

Post by thesevensteves »

Received my black version and its incredible the difference between the two. Kudos to Fat Possum for the quick turnaround and providing a fix with no-fuss. My hope is that this doesn't hit them in the pocket as they are top notch. The GITD was the only available option at the time of my purchase and while the gimmick/novelty of it is fun, especially after a few drinks and a spliff, I don't see the point other than to generate interest from folks who may otherwise not be bothered by (gasp!) a standard black pressing and/or sychophantic completeists (guilty).
James T
Known user

Post by James T »

Patrick got back to me super quick, and I'm really grateful for how accommodating they're being. There was some explanation of the issues also, sounds like there are plenty of copies of the GITD which don't sound noisy also so I hope most people have got those.

So... we can get excited about the next now?
dselevan2
Known user

Post by dselevan2 »

This Pure Phase was such Bs, I am actively seeking only black vinyl for future purchases from other artists. I think I’ll stick to shirts and badges from Spiritualized from now on. I am unclear why Spaceman would even release this, as these records are already available in other forms. I was happy to listen to the album 1/2 way and will maybe just keep it for trade value. Glow in the dark sounds worse than my beater copy that survived multiple houses full of drug addict and losers.
mkb
Known user

Post by mkb »

My GITD copy sounds fine, I don't have a mega-expensive setup, so there's always a little noise, but my copy of PP isn't worse than anything else I've got. If I want absolutely noise-free stuff I go for a CD.
veiko
Known user

Post by veiko »

So, what the damn hell i should do in Estonia? My GITD version at "All of my tears" is a ridiculous mess. Shitfaced pressing. I bought from UK from the official band shop. Damn, such a nuisance. It's... bloody... crap.
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

veiko wrote: Wed Jul 14, 2021 7:38 pm So, what the damn hell i should do in Estonia? My GITD version at "All of my tears" is a ridiculous mess. Shitfaced pressing. I bought from UK from the official band shop. Damn, such a nuisance. It's... bloody... crap.
Email Patrick at Fat Possum and ask for a black replacement copy.
veiko
Known user

Post by veiko »

One song only remarkably - totally destroyed, skipped, scratched... you name it. One song only. Rest seems awesome. So... how is this slip possible. Emailed now Patrick at FP, previously also emailed the UK shop, where is bought it eventually. Such a misadventure. Very well packed, spaced out presentation, but then... gosh... total mess for All of my tears.
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

I am sure Fat Possum will sort you out.
mc
Known user

Post by mc »

Anyone else still waiting for a reply from Fat Possum? Emailed Patrick on Sunday, still not heard back yet.
Sim
Known user

Post by Sim »

I had a very prompt response from Patrick on Monday (within the hour, and I'm UK he's US). Extremely helpful and kept me updated, sent me tracking numbers for the replacements yesterday too. Amazing customer service as far as I'm concerned and I think most people have had similar experiences. Maybe just try again, I know I miss emails all the time at work and I don't think he'd mind if that's the case (just check your spam folder first in case!)

Post by thesevensteves »

veiko wrote: Thu Jul 15, 2021 12:59 am One song only remarkably - totally destroyed, skipped, scratched... you name it. One song only. Rest seems awesome. So... how is this slip possible. Emailed now Patrick at FP, previously also emailed the UK shop, where is bought it eventually. Such a misadventure. Very well packed, spaced out presentation, but then... gosh... total mess for All of my tears.
Same exact issue on my copy..All My Tears slaughtered from the poor pressing. Fat Possum was excellent in their response, top stuff. No issue at all with the replacement sent.
Dreamweapon
Known user

Post by Dreamweapon »

As somewhat of a completist like many here, I now don't know what to do. Re PP, I've bought a GITD which arrived yesterday, and also have a black vinyl saved for me too somewhere else. I also have white and black vinyls of LGM, but haven't played any yet. Feel like I don't want to let the GITD of PP go, as it looks so beautiful. I'm also wondering whether Fat Possum will repress PP due to these probs. Seems harsh that they have to bear the brunt of the cost of sending out replacements - are you guys having to send your GITD ones back to them? That's an extra cost....

Let's also hope that LAGWAFIS doesn't go through the same issues....
thesevensteves
Known user

Post by thesevensteves »

Dreamweapon wrote: Thu Jul 15, 2021 6:43 pm Seems harsh that they have to bear the brunt of the cost of sending out replacements - are you guys having to send your GITD ones back to them? That's an extra cost....

Nah, I offered to send the GITD back and they said don't bother. Like others I'm not sure how the reissue of LAGWAFIS will be different than the VMP version, but curious what they might offer.
dselevan2
Known user

Post by dselevan2 »

spzretent wrote: Thu Jul 15, 2021 1:18 am I am sure Fat Possum will sort you out.
sending me a new one, in black! Woo hoo!
mkb
Known user

Post by mkb »

Dreamweapon wrote: Thu Jul 15, 2021 6:43 pm Seems harsh that they have to bear the brunt of the cost of sending out replacements
Hopefully at least part of the cost is being borne by the pressing plant
James T
Known user

Post by James T »

My black copy arrived and it sounds superb, great service.

Edit: Well... All of My Tears is actually still quite noisy actually now I'm listening properly. Not sure what the issue is. The rest sounds perfect so far though. Skipped through the tracks to check. Weird. No point in bothering them any more though, they've done their best so what can ya do.
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

mc wrote: Thu Jul 15, 2021 9:47 am Anyone else still waiting for a reply from Fat Possum? Emailed Patrick on Sunday, still not heard back yet.
Patrick asked me to have you please email again. He is extremely receptive.
theotherside3
New user

Post by theotherside3 »

got this message from Patrick at fat possum on 14th ...
The 2nd pressing is actually arriving tomorrow and the first order of business for me is qc'ing myself. the plant assures us this one is better, the second pressing is being manufactured at Memphis Record Pressing on a different type of compound than the first pressing, which was pressed at GZ.

I'm continuing to replace black vinyl from the first pressing to customers that have had issues. it seems centralized to the the glow in the dark compound issue, versus any issue with the stampers themselves.
have dropped him an email to see what he says about sound of new pressing and will report back.
Spacemen3-Spiritualized

Code: Select all

https://www.facebook.com/spacemen3spiritualized
Theotherside1 : Alternative - Psychedelic - Spacerock - Krautrock

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLRF4PwvYLyy-7lGvNlDxJqubP2Ab_3Ms6
BessieBoporBach
Known user

Post by BessieBoporBach »

Dreamweapon wrote: Thu Jul 15, 2021 6:43 pm As somewhat of a completist like many here, I now don't know what to do. Re PP, I've bought a GITD which arrived yesterday, and also have a black vinyl saved for me too somewhere else. I also have white and black vinyls of LGM, but haven't played any yet. Feel like I don't want to let the GITD of PP go, as it looks so beautiful. I'm also wondering whether Fat Possum will repress PP due to these probs. Seems harsh that they have to bear the brunt of the cost of sending out replacements - are you guys having to send your GITD ones back to them? That's an extra cost....

I may be in the extreme minority here, but after reading all the reviews I've elected to satisfy my completism (and fill Jason's tip jar) by buying the CDs instead. LICD is the only title in this series I don't already have on vinyl so it was an easy call.
niamhm
Known user

Post by niamhm »

James T wrote: Fri Jul 16, 2021 12:52 pm My black copy arrived and it sounds superb, great service.

Edit: Well... All of My Tears is actually still quite noisy actually now I'm listening properly. Not sure what the issue is. The rest sounds perfect so far though. Skipped through the tracks to check. Weird. No point in bothering them any more though, they've done their best so what can ya do.
I`m going to have to agree with this, my first listen to my replacement black vinyl and I had to give All Of My Tears 3 listens straight just to check my ears weren`t playing tricks on me, still sounds terrible, clicks, pops, the usual stuff you come across time to time, but actual distortion of the sound/ vocal? The rest of it sounds superb by the way,
Greeny
Known user

Post by Greeny »

Sigh. Got a black vinyl replacement (no postage fees but I had to send back the GITD version, so no opportunity to frame it on the wall, which is all it was good for!)

It is better, for sure. But really not up to par. So much surface noise, even after an ultrasonic clean.

Halfway through I just switched to the CD I bought as part of the same package. Such a shame.
shalloboi
Known user

Post by shalloboi »

I've been checkin in from time-to-time about this here and I'm finally going to chime in.
I think the LGM reissue sounds superb- does it sound better than the original? Not really- I think they were just smart enough to not mess it up. It seems like it's just like having a new copy of the original pressing (which is a good thing).
'Pure Phase' is more of a mixed bag- I have the same gripes as many- mainly 'All my tears' is distorted and skips a bunch (which is a real shame because it really draws you out of the album at what should be a high point). I've compared it to the original copy of 'Pure Phase' I have and a few of the tracks sound a little better, but there are also so many moments that fall short.
I'm wondering what they'll do with 'Ladies and gentlemen...' because the VMP pressing of that is absolutely fantastic and I'm mainly hoping it's just a wider release of that version. People who were able to hold out deserve that kind of a reward.
adamhx
Known user

Post by adamhx »

I now have 3 pressings of LGM! The Plain one (which was bought first as a present but isn't great), the white recent repress and an original pressing which I came across in a local record store more recently and couldn't help buying. For me the recent repress stands up in terms of the quality of the sound.

Pure Phase is much more of a disappointment. As mentioned earlier in the thread I bought the GITD version and have been sent a black replacement but haven't played it yet.

I bought the VMP of LAGWAFIS which is superb so won't be purchasing the Spaceman Reissue Program version.

I also have an original pressing of LICD, so I think thats me done for this reissue program other than probably to buy more mugs!
mc
Known user

Post by mc »

Still not heard back from Patrick. Will try with a different email address (maybe hotmail is going to spam?) and not forwarding the receipt I got from the webstore, in case that's triggering a spam filter too.
mc
Known user

Post by mc »

Sorted now - Patrick responded within minutes of my new email :) Must have been a problem with hotmail!
BzaInSpace
Site Admin

Post by BzaInSpace »

spiritualized.com is being worked on…

It’s gone back to orange as well?
O P 8
BzaInSpace
Site Admin

Post by BzaInSpace »

Going on the recent colour themes of white, and then luminous green - is LAG going to be released in an orange sleeve?

Also - the kind management informed me that the digital versions of these releases are completely unmastered from the originals. In other words, they are exactly the same apart from the new artwork. Just reissues.

Guess J. Spaceman meant it 100% when he said that each album had been the very best he could produce.

(I still would like to hear a proper loud remaster of ‘Lazer Guided Melodies’ though)
O P 8
mkb
Known user

Post by mkb »

The electricity video got uploaded (or re-uploaded) to the official YouTube channel yesterday, so I assume an announcement is imminent on the LAGWAFIS reissue.

https://youtu.be/ZVKXnWDeNr8
Ian
Known user

Post by Ian »

BzaInSpace wrote: Thu Jul 22, 2021 7:44 pmGoing on the recent colour themes of white, and then luminous green - is LAG going to be released in an orange sleeve?
I think the orange was the default "And Nothing Hurt" colour scheme that was being used before the reissues started, so not necessarily.
sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

Nineteen...Nineteen...Six Five
Ian
Known user

Post by Ian »

If the VMP pressing is as good as many have said that it is, it would be odd to do anything else but press this from the same stampers.
theotherside3
New user

Post by theotherside3 »

just listened to my replacement black vinyl copy of PP .
all of my tears not much better than GITD version. still skips and crackles.
played on Audio Technica AT LP120 . tried new stylus same results.
fat possum, as always, have done their best with offering replacements, but no point bothering them anymore I guess.
Spacemen3-Spiritualized

https://www.facebook.com/spacemen3spiritualized
Theotherside1 : Alternative - Psychedelic - Spacerock - Krautrock

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLRF4PwvYLyy-7lGvNlDxJqubP2Ab_3Ms6
Sim
Known user

Post by Sim »

sunray wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 9:48 am It's blue: https://www.juno.co.uk/products/spiritu ... 839422-01/
And appears to have the CD running order rather than that of the original vinyl (as did VMP I think?)

Post by sunray »

Sim wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 1:24 pm
sunray wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 9:48 am It's blue: https://www.juno.co.uk/products/spiritu ... 839422-01/
And appears to have the CD running order rather than that of the original vinyl (as did VMP I think?)
:shock: All these years and i had no idea the original vinyl had a different running order to the cd.
BessieBoporBach
Known user

Post by BessieBoporBach »

Sim wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 1:24 pm
Yup, same running order as the Plain release.
BzaInSpace
Site Admin

Post by BzaInSpace »

That’s a bold design for sure. I like it - it’s similar to when the Kraftwerk albums were reissued.
O P 8
BzaInSpace
Site Admin

Post by BzaInSpace »

O P 8
mkb
Known user

Post by mkb »

I assumed that was a placeholder image and that they'll do what they've done with the others - same artwork, different colour scheme (possibly just the original blue and white inversed if it's blue vinyl?)
sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

mkb wrote: Sat Jul 24, 2021 2:57 pm I assumed that was a placeholder image and that they'll do what they've done with the others - same artwork, different colour scheme (possibly just the original blue and white inversed if it's blue vinyl?)
I'm convinced that's the cover.
It's way better than the original, which only really works with the pill pack imo. On all other formats it's an incredibly boring, drab design. Though i guess VMP improved it with the silver print and gloss finish.
Vancouver
Known user

Post by Vancouver »

Yeah, I also think that's the cover. Maybe last year's VMP pressing made them decide to do something different such a short time later. And, to be honest, I'll be tempted for a black copy if that is the cover despite getting the VMP pressing.
dselevan2
Known user

Post by dselevan2 »

FP were nice enough to send me a new copy. Unfortunately it is glow in dark and still pops like an old record. For example, spread your wings, at the quiet parts, sounds like a G rated record on both copies I have. Using a nice dual record player, recently serviced, new stylus and needle. Will be giving this one away or trading. Don’t think I’m in on ladies and gents. Better stuff out there to buy in terms of reissues. For example, this new Curtis Mayfield reissue I’m listening to sounds amazing.
niamhm
Known user

Post by niamhm »

sunray wrote: Sun Jul 25, 2021 12:38 am
mkb wrote: Sat Jul 24, 2021 2:57 pm I assumed that was a placeholder image and that they'll do what they've done with the others - same artwork, different colour scheme (possibly just the original blue and white inversed if it's blue vinyl?)
I'm convinced that's the cover.
It's way better than the original, which only really works with the pill pack imo. On all other formats it's an incredibly boring, drab design. Though i guess VMP improved it with the silver print and gloss finish.
Bloody hell Joycey!! Are you serious? The original is amazing!! Ffs. :lol:
BzaInSpace
Site Admin

Post by BzaInSpace »

No I get that. The original sleeve design works best on the CD as a tablet with the pop-out foil. The rest not so much.

I think that the new sleeve is beautiful.

Interesting to see what tomorrow brings regarding merch but again; not too worried about having the digital/CD versions as this album hasn’t been remastered at all.

Regardless of the VMP pressings - a few months back I even sourced down a direct needle drop of that and found it… didn’t sound any different to how I’ve heard it over the years.

Literally. I have played that album probably more than any other and I know the first 3 tracks better than either elbow. There was no difference at all.

I miss having this amazing portable CD player circa 1999 that meant ‘Come Together’ was a trippy thing - massive slow phase on the whole thing most apparent -
I assumed it was meant to sound like that for years 😍
O P 8
Ian
Known user

Post by Ian »

Now available to order from the US and UK stores. And that was indeed the new cover design.