Can - Live In Stuttgart (3 x LP)

For new sounds, old sounds and favourite sound discussion...

Moderators: sunny, BzaInSpace, runcible, spzretent

TheWarmth
Known user

Can - Live In Stuttgart (3 x LP)

Post by TheWarmth »

angelsighs
Known user

Re: Can - Live In Stuttgart (3 x LP)

Post by angelsighs »

my thoughts are I'm very excited! I remember them saying a live album would probably be next when the Lost Tapes came out. I thought the idea had probably died off, but now it seems we are getting a whole series ! (it doesn't say how long the series will be though)

only some minor reservations- 1975 is a little bit past their peak for me (Damo is gone) but I listened to the clip and it sounds damn good- proper funky actually- like Can doing James Brown
also was concerned when it said it was bootleg recordings that were being remastered. sound quality seems fine though.
SpEnCeR1
Known user

Post by SpEnCeR1 »

can wait for this and to see what else is being released ... have a load of CAN boots, hoping some of these are on the schedule with a sound upgrade. not heard this Stuttgart one before. excited :-)
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

Also good thing about Can is you know that every show will be totally different. This could be a nice series to collect
Aquarian-Time
Known user

Post by Aquarian-Time »

duly pre ordered the 3LP from Piccadilly records, this could be a real treat
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

there's a couple more tidbits about this in the new Mojo. apparently this series of live albums will have at least 3 more after this one.
there may also be a collection of radio sessions called Can On Air.
take my money now I say.

also although the tracklisting for the new release just numbers the tracks, according to bootlegs this is broadly what they played?

01 - Improvisation 19:38
02 - Bel Air 13.27 >
03 - Dizzy Dizzy 11.28 >
04 - Pinch 12.09 >
05 - Quantum Physics (on 'speed') 12.17 >
06 - Improvisation 10.29
sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

Next up is Brighton 1975: https://thequietus.com/articles/30638-c ... -recording

I've still not listened to Stuttgart '75 yet. I want to do it all in one sitting but just can't get in the mood for such an undertaking (though i've just checked and it's only 90 minutes long so not as daunting as i thought).
Nineteen...Nineteen...Six Five
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

sunray wrote: Fri Oct 08, 2021 12:26 am Next up is Brighton 1975: https://thequietus.com/articles/30638-c ... -recording

I've still not listened to Stuttgart '75 yet. I want to do it all in one sitting but just can't get in the mood for such an undertaking (though i've just checked and it's only 90 minutes long so not as daunting as i thought).
yup, I've got Stuttgart and I confirm it's a lot to take in at once! I love Can and they are amazing improvisers but the live thing is different to the studio albums where there's a lot of editing to bring out hooks and themes etc. I have to be in the mood for it.
if I was nitpicking I would also say it's a shame to have another recording from the same tour. I know they are just working with what they've got,
but ideally you'd want recordings to reflect different eras.
like a saddo I'm pretty sure I'll collect this whole series though :)
BzaInSpace
Site Admin

Post by BzaInSpace »

sunray wrote: Fri Oct 08, 2021 12:26 am Next up is Brighton 1975: https://thequietus.com/articles/30638-c ... -recording

You’ve got to listen to it. It’s quite something. Bits of it reminds me of Miles Davis’s electric jams from the same era. They hit something and keep going and they do it so well.
O P 8
olan
Known user

Post by olan »

If you are quick Amacuntz in UK have the Brighton LP on pre-order for £12.97 on vinyl delivered

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Live-Brighton- ... ABIS_MUSIC.
sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

olan wrote: Sun Nov 14, 2021 8:16 pm If you are quick Amacuntz in UK have the Brighton LP on pre-order for £12.97 on vinyl delivered

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Live-Brighton- ... ABIS_MUSIC.
I won't be receiving this anyway. I suspect a lot of people will be getting a similar email;
As a result of limited availability for the order release of the Live In Brighton 1975 [VINYL], we've cancelled the item from the following order and you haven't been charged.
As a gesture of goodwill we've applied a Gift Card in the amount of £3 to your account. You can use this towards a future order on the Amazon.co.uk website.
BzaInSpace
Site Admin

Post by BzaInSpace »

I got that too! Not surprising maybe, but it’s now listed as nearly 3 times that initial price, which makes me think that had been a mistake. The CD price maybe?
O P 8
MrBadger
Known user

Post by MrBadger »

I bought Stuttgart and really enjoy it. Looked at a few other alternatives but couldn't resist an album where the tracks are simply named 1 to 5 (in German).
BzaInSpace
Site Admin

Post by BzaInSpace »

The Brighton 1975 gig is awesome.

Karoli is hitting that long leaning note again and again.
O P 8
sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

angel-sighs
Known user

Post by angel-sighs »

Not sure how much of a sad completist to be.
How much live Can from a similar era does a man need?
angel-sighs
Known user

Post by angel-sighs »

now this I am up for. Paris 73 is coming next, much preferable for me as it's a different tour and with Damo too

https://mute.com/can/live-in-paris-1973

the snippet sounds good but I am not sure what the overall audio sources will be like. I think a properly recorded multitrack show of this era may be a bit of a unicorn.