Bobby Gillespie Memoir

For new sounds, old sounds and favourite sound discussion...

Moderators: sunny, BzaInSpace, runcible, spzretent

sunray
Known user

Bobby Gillespie Memoir

Post by sunray »

Bobby G has a book coming out: https://www.roughtrade.com/gb/bobby-gil ... nement-kid

Mods, feel free to move this post if you feel it should be elsewhere.
Nineteen...Nineteen...Six Five
niamhm
Known user

Re: Bobby Gillespie Memoir

Post by niamhm »

I`m kinda interested but disappointed it only goes up to Screamadelica which is a bit weird as he pretty much disowned early Primal Scream up until recently, must be a Vol.2 in the pipeline too
Last edited by niamhm on Thu Mar 11, 2021 9:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
purespace
Known user

Post by purespace »

Thanks for that, ordered
I think I feel it coming on
beaker73
Known user

Post by beaker73 »

Yep, me, too. Thanks sunray!
"I've been drinking all night long, but my hands are steady"
veiko
Known user

Post by veiko »

Grabbed it. This shall be interesting reading.
toomilk
Known user

Post by toomilk »

Splurged and got the deluxe version. I wonder what the lyric stamp is.
sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

Anyone read it yet? Any good?
My other half recently received it as a birthday present (not from me, that would've been a bit cheeky) but hasn't delved in and i've currently lost my reading buzz so didn't feel like tackling it halfheartedly.
niamhm
Known user

Post by niamhm »

Nope, its sitting in a pile of books I`m working my way slowly through, I should have an opinion on it this time next yr :lol:
veiko
Known user

Post by veiko »

Have also nothing yet to comment, though got also the hard cover version, it's even signed. Rough Trade book of the year title does not come lightly or it's just some gimmick we need to pass?!
PopeJez
Known user

Post by PopeJez »

I really enjoyed it. Bobby writes really well and as you head towards Screamadelica it's hard to put down. It's one of those books where you feel sad that you've finished it.
natty
Known user

Post by natty »

Reading this at the moment and finding it really difficult to get through. He's so up himself it's untrue, full of contradictions, snobby, and pretentious, although there are moments of real insight and sensitivity. His writing on familial breakup had me near to tears, but through most of it I've just been feeling like "God, STFU man, you weren't the first person to listen to the Elevators and the Stooges and take ecstasy, and your clothers arent that bloody nice". His class warrior posturing is laughable too and he uses the word "occult" as an adjective far, far to much.
He's also less than complementary about Spacemen 3.
sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

Finally finished this. I stopped halfway through, not because i wasn't enjoying it but i'd lost my reading buzz, so couldn't get anywhere with it at all.
A good read overall although i can sympathise with natty's sentiments.
I must admit when musicians start talking fashion and art it bores me to tears. I've as must interest in those topics as i do in checking my mother's stools every morning.
Kind of surprised at his view on Spacemen 3. I would argue that they were high energy, it's just that all that energy was channelled towards an intense focus, concentration and discipline towards the drone/repetition rather than leaping about the stage fantasising they were MC5. I thought Bobby would recognise that. He also loved Loop, so go figure.

In saying all that i really do hope there's a part two to come.
BzaInSpace
Site Admin

Post by BzaInSpace »

It was a somewhat challenging read in many ways. I mean, I thought parts of it were beautifully told - during the acid trip with the J&MC which went wrong and he encountered an Orange Brigade was something else…

I’ve no interest in fashion per se, but I do like the way that Gillespie can get away with a pink suit.

I know exactly what you mean about limited or reading time is not great!

The Spacemen thing was odd also - there’s that famous (?) quote about how he wanted to kick down the hippies sitting down - yet there are pics out there that suggests him, Pete and Jason were having a grand time afterwards
O P 8
sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

Yeah, Bobby can rock a pink suit no doubt. My mate disagreed but he was wrong :lol:

I'd like to see those photos you mention. Are they after that particular gig or from a later date?
BzaInSpace
Site Admin

Post by BzaInSpace »

Thanks Sunray. I thought it was a photo from the Erik Morse book. Could be wrong. Could have been something I seen on the FB Sp3 page a while ago.

Anyway, J and Pete are clearly having the best time with Bobby G in a kitchen somewhere in 1987 (?)
O P 8