M B V

For new sounds, old sounds and favourite sound discussion...

Moderators: sunny, BzaInSpace, runcible, spzretent

simonkeeping
Known user

M B V

Post by simonkeeping »

Somethings happening over on their social media. A lot of comments suggesting it could be the albums going back on streaming platforms but seems like a bit too big of a deal for that.

it has tomorrows date on the teaser video so we don't have long to wait...
http://www.soundcloud.com/haarlemriots
burningwheel
Known user

Re: M B V

Post by burningwheel »

Albums repressed too. New material septish is the rumour as well
[url=http://www.loveisforever.org]Primal Scream, My Bloody Valentine, Swervedriver, Chapterhouse, The Telescopes, Loop, Verve and more![/url]
simonkeeping
Known user

Post by simonkeeping »

Good news! Where did you hear the rumour about the new album?
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

exciting. the general feeling seems to be that it's gonna be some kind of reissues (as well as getting them back on streaming services), as the band have signed with Domino

and then new material to follow later in the year

Kevin is also doing one of the listening parties which I don't reckon he'd do for no reason.
Aquarian-Time
Known user

Post by Aquarian-Time »

The listening parties are great, but the replays are far easier, just press start on when ready, pause whenever you want and don't have to keep refreshing and scrolling on your phone endlessly. Enjoyed Belly's debut album in this format at the weekend

Great new re MBV as well. fingers crossed
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

Maybe he is doing what Jason is doing with these artist approved reissues.
That would be amazing.
http://www.lilmoxie.com
Detroit, Music, Sports and Other Stuff(including Spiritualized, Spacemen 3)
sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

Any excuse to tinker with Loveless yet again :wink:

I read somewhere recently where his wife stated that Kevin is so particular it can take him an hour and a half to choose a sandwich in the supermarket :lol:
Nineteen...Nineteen...Six Five
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

spzretent wrote: Tue Mar 30, 2021 3:46 pm Maybe he is doing what Jason is doing with these artist approved reissues.
That would be amazing.
That would be cool! Especially if they do merch and I can get a glow in the dark mug to match my Spiritualized one!
BzaInSpace
Site Admin

Post by BzaInSpace »

Something is going down - and I suspect it’s not just a return to streaming apps.

Just had the weekly email from Monorail records which begins like this:

How's it going?

Here we are again on our own, going down this pre-order road with a brief round up of forthcoming releases you'll want to nab in advance. Before we do that we're here to drop a Massive Big Voluptuous hint that we'll be sending you another email tomorrow morning at 8am with some info you'll probably want to act on. Yes, we're getting up THAT early, just for you. It feels a bit like a real job...

I really, really hope it’s new music. I’m not sure the world requires yet another master of Loveless
O P 8
BzaInSpace
Site Admin

Post by BzaInSpace »

sunray wrote: Tue Mar 30, 2021 4:32 pm Any excuse to tinker with Loveless yet again :wink:

I read somewhere recently where his wife stated that Kevin is so particular it can take him an hour and a half to choose a sandwich in the supermarket :lol:
I can believe that 🤣🤣🤣
O P 8
simonkeeping
Known user

Post by simonkeeping »

BzaInSpace wrote: Tue Mar 30, 2021 7:05 pm
How's it going?

Here we are again on our own, going down this pre-order road with a brief round up of forthcoming releases you'll want to nab in advance. Before we do that we're here to drop a Massive Big Voluptuous hint that we'll be sending you another email tomorrow morning at 8am with some info you'll probably want to act on. Yes, we're getting up THAT early, just for you. It feels a bit like a real job...

This is good news! Alarm set for 8am
burningwheel
Known user

Post by burningwheel »

simonkeeping wrote: Tue Mar 30, 2021 6:53 am Good news! Where did you hear the rumour about the new album?
That's just a rumour I heard

Personally I think it will be streaming and entire catalog repressed
[url=http://www.loveisforever.org]Primal Scream, My Bloody Valentine, Swervedriver, Chapterhouse, The Telescopes, Loop, Verve and more![/url]
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

BzaInSpace wrote: Tue Mar 30, 2021 7:05 pm

I really, really hope it’s new music. I’m not sure the world requires yet another master of Loveless
There has only been one official reissue of Loveless and they sell for crazy money. Even those Plain reissues are going for over $100. If they are smart, and just signed to Domino, they would reissue Isn't Anything, Loveless and MBV and maybe do a singles comp. Vinyl I am speaking of only.
They deserve to cash in.
Strictly my opinion. :D
sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

I hope any reissues would be double lp's. I was surprised the last remasters remained single albums.
Laz69
Known user

Post by Laz69 »

angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

fairly underwhelming I guess, but good to get these back in print regardless. I think they were difficult to find before?
I still have a feeling that new material is on the way and this is just the first step.

can anybody tell me if the Loveless remaster is worth it? it's a great album obviously but I've also had the feeling that it could do with a *slight* remaster to give it a little more punch. is the remaster a case of something only Kevin can hear, or is it noticeable?
stegraham
Known user

Post by stegraham »

I must admit I'm not the worlds biggest MBV fan, but would have jumped at the chance of getting a re-issued (cheap) version of the Ecstasy and Wine compilation. Is it because the two EPs that make it weren't on Creation that they are not offered now? Or have they - similiar to Bobby G with early Primals - disowned that part of their catalogue?
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

sunray wrote: Tue Mar 30, 2021 10:57 pm I hope any reissues would be double lp's. I was surprised the last remasters remained single albums.
still single LPs!
I checked and Loveless is 48 minutes long. kind of the upper limit for vinyl and sound quality right?
Ian
Known user

Post by Ian »

Massive fan at the time, not convinced I need more copies but I had a look around the site. Thought I'd see what was going on in the forum, only to get the message "You need to have made an order on the store in order to access the forum". Seriously? Hope this isn't the model for the future with official band sites.
I have a passion sweet Lord...
http://www.spacemen3.co.uk
BVCP206
Known user

Post by BVCP206 »

Ian wrote: Wed Mar 31, 2021 10:30 am Massive fan at the time, not convinced I need more copies but I had a look around the site. Thought I'd see what was going on in the forum, only to get the message "You need to have made an order on the store in order to access the forum". Seriously? Hope this isn't the model for the future with official band sites.
That's norty!
'Remember, change is not good'
olan
Known user

Post by olan »

angelsighs wrote: Wed Mar 31, 2021 9:28 am
sunray wrote: Tue Mar 30, 2021 10:57 pm I hope any reissues would be double lp's. I was surprised the last remasters remained single albums.
still single LPs!
I checked and Loveless is 48 minutes long. kind of the upper limit for vinyl and sound quality right?
Very much. Anything over about 19 or 20 minutes to a side and you start to encounter compromises as the grooves need to be packed together tightly which affects the bass particularly as the smaller grooves reduce the dynamic range of the record. Sonic's LP from last year is a good example of what happens when you put a lot of music on a 12" LP. The music is brilliant, I'm just less than impressed with the dynamics of the LP and actually prefer to listen to the CD or the FLACs.
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

Not sure if anyone has ever seen these "Japan fan club" 2 LP issues https://www.discogs.com/My-Bloody-Valen ... se/6311914
I have an opportunity to get 10 copies to sell in my online shop. Kind of questionable since these will now be reissued. But the music is spread over 2 LP's w/Tremolo EP tracks added. On red vinyl and not cheap at $55.
Also it appears to me only the deluxe issue of Loveless is remastered. Did I read that wrong?
davedecay
Known user

Post by davedecay »

spzretent wrote: Wed Mar 31, 2021 3:09 pm Not sure if anyone has ever seen these "Japan fan club" 2 LP issues https://www.discogs.com/My-Bloody-Valen ... se/6311914
I have an opportunity to get 10 copies to sell in my online shop. Kind of questionable since these will now be reissued. But the music is spread over 2 LP's w/Tremolo EP tracks added. On red vinyl and not cheap at $55.
I have that 'Japanese' release on black vinyl. Paid $32 at my local shop. The CD sounds good enough to my ears, I don't need to over-spend on remastered vinyl.
BzaInSpace
Site Admin

Post by BzaInSpace »

While I’m disappointed at the lack of new music (hopefully soon) I had to pull the trigger on loveless. I missed the last that last all-analogue edition which was meant to sound amazing.

Glad I did as apparently the deluxe AAA edition have sold out.

Great having all that MBV shit on Spotify too. The sleeve related visuals are a cool touch. Having only ever heard a very thin sounding Creation CD isn’t anything sounds amazing I have to say
O P 8
sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

Nabbed the deluxe Isn't Anything and regular Loveless as the deluxe was sold out.

No idea why i bought the latter but with the former i realised i don't actually have a vinyl copy, only the original cassette and cd. Neither of which sound great but i always put that down to the production rather than the format.

Nice that the price in euros is the same as that in sterling been offered by the shops (€26 for the deluxe from the band site vs. £26 from the retailers). Mind you the postage was steep, €17 to ship two lps from Germany to Ireland. I recently received a 5-lp boxset from Germany that was €19 post.
Lets hope they put them in proper lp mailers this time and avoid the m b v debacle (massive box, record moving around, leading to seam splits for many).
burningwheel
Known user

Post by burningwheel »

So only mbv vinyl is for sale in the US. Ouch. Not sure about the cds
BzaInSpace
Site Admin

Post by BzaInSpace »

BVCP206 wrote: Wed Mar 31, 2021 10:49 am
Ian wrote: Wed Mar 31, 2021 10:30 am Massive fan at the time, not convinced I need more copies but I had a look around the site. Thought I'd see what was going on in the forum, only to get the message "You need to have made an order on the store in order to access the forum". Seriously? Hope this isn't the model for the future with official band sites.
That's norty!
You’re not missing much to be honest!

It’s like a loose Reddit thread...

I’m glad there has been such a demand for the vinyl editions. That band deserve everything they are due. Undoubtedly will lead to more music and ... hopefully live shows later this year.
O P 8
niamhm
Known user

Post by niamhm »

Well that was pretty underwhelming news then, these albums were readily available not so very long ago, was mbv originally a `fully analogue cut`? I cant remember, just remember it not being cleanest pressing I`ve ever been sold, considering the artist bit of a disappointment, might buy another copy of that hoping its better this time round though.
Last edited by niamhm on Wed Mar 31, 2021 9:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BzaInSpace
Site Admin

Post by BzaInSpace »

Yeah I know.

Rumours are that there is going to be new music later this year.

It’s strange as I don’t even consider loveless to be their best. m b v is way better for me.

I got sent a second vinyl edition way back in 2013 after the first copy had some issues with distortion. They didn’t ask for my original copy back.

I’m really loving the music back on Spotify. It’s sounds way awesome. You have to play it at full volume! Which is incredibly rare on that platform... ⚡️
O P 8
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

BzaInSpace wrote: Wed Mar 31, 2021 8:17 pm It’s strange as I don’t even consider loveless to be their best. m b v is way better for me.
I actually almost agree with you there. Loveless is great and all that, very unique album, nothing is quite like it despite all their imitators. mbv is really good as well though- continues their sound a bit and then goes crazy with those last 3 tracks.

I think fans read too much into MBV sometimes! I like them but they aren't one of my favourite bands or anything. they expect a new album to take the entire music scene forward as well as bringing world peace or something.
same with some of the reactions to this announcement, like people have been trolled or something. it was only a brief heads up that something was coming a couple of days beforehand. if fans feel let down, that's kind of their own fault!

olan wrote: Wed Mar 31, 2021 3:01 pm Anything over about 19 or 20 minutes to a side and you start to encounter compromises as the grooves need to be packed together tightly which affects the bass particularly as the smaller grooves reduce the dynamic range of the record. Sonic's LP from last year is a good example of what happens when you put a lot of music on a 12" LP. The music is brilliant, I'm just less than impressed with the dynamics of the LP and actually prefer to listen to the CD or the FLACs.
interesting, sometimes Kevin makes some strange choices. you would think if you were someone obsessed with sound quality the choice would be obvious.
however it can also be a pain when an album which was originally in the CD era then has to spread across 4 sides of vinyl when reissued.. but each side is then really short.. a massive pain in the arse to get up and turn it over every couple of songs. not my ideal listening experience!
stegraham
Known user

Post by stegraham »

Well, that is interesting news - a joint MBV/Spiritualized record. Jason teaming up with kevin Shields to release a one off track - out next week apparently! They kept that quiet!
Ian
Known user

Post by Ian »

stegraham wrote: Thu Apr 01, 2021 10:18 am Well, that is interesting news - a joint MBV/Spiritualized record. Jason teaming up with kevin Shields to release a one off track - out next week apparently! They kept that quiet!
Next week? You sure it's not today? Just before midday, I heard.
I have a passion sweet Lord...
http://www.spacemen3.co.uk
stegraham
Known user

Post by stegraham »

Ian wrote: Thu Apr 01, 2021 11:36 am
stegraham wrote: Thu Apr 01, 2021 10:18 am Well, that is interesting news - a joint MBV/Spiritualized record. Jason teaming up with kevin Shields to release a one off track - out next week apparently! They kept that quiet!
Next week? You sure it's not today? Just before midday, I heard.
It's a fair cop, guv! :-)
sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

BzaInSpace wrote: Tue Mar 30, 2021 7:06 pm
sunray wrote: Tue Mar 30, 2021 4:32 pm Any excuse to tinker with Loveless yet again :wink:

I can believe that 🤣🤣🤣
I found the exact quote. It was in Tim Burgess' Tim Book Two:
"I asked Kevin's partner prior to the release of their latest record, MBV, when there was going to be another album, and she said, 'That's a tough question. Kevin is so meticulous. It can take him up to an hour to choose a sandwich in the supermarket.'

Only an hour, not the 90 minutes i originally claimed. Not so bad so... :)
Still, eight years waiting on the follow up. Probably get it in 2024.
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

Some interviews are starting to come out alongside reviews of the reissues.
Kevin said he had a lot of new material. Was going to be 2 EPs, now it's at least an album with an EP or two on top. Release does seem a way off though.

The new Loveless reissue actually is kind of *another* slight remaster. He also said "I'm nowhere near finished with Loveless" crazy! 😔
simonkeeping
Known user

Post by simonkeeping »

Anyone planning on recording the MBV NTS takeover?
I’m out of action when it’s happening so it looks like I’m going to miss it which I’m not happy about. Timings are as follows.
D3F41A1C-3758-4232-B9EC-9CEE04F9AA69.jpeg
D3F41A1C-3758-4232-B9EC-9CEE04F9AA69.jpeg (135.97 KiB) Viewed 5796 times
sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

90 minute interview with Kevin: https://www.abc.net.au/doublej/programs ... w/13293944

It's a pretty good listen. I don't follow MBV interviews religiously so maybe a lot of this stuff has already appeared elsewhere. The Beatles thing, for one, was news to me 8)
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

sunray wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 4:54 pm 90 minute interview with Kevin: https://www.abc.net.au/doublej/programs ... w/13293944

It's a pretty good listen. I don't follow MBV interviews religiously so maybe a lot of this stuff has already appeared elsewhere. The Beatles thing, for one, was news to me 8)
Listening to this now, a few minutes in. The fact that Kevin mainly listened to cassettes right into the 90s kind of makes sense :) some of their songs have been compared to a badly degraded cassette!
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

Finished listening to this, interesting to hear Kevin talk at length.
I guess The Beatles thing was that they used a sample of the screaming crowd? That was interesting.. Sample that and tweak it a bit and it can sound like feedback!

It does sound like they're working on a whole bunch of new material. He was quite self deprecating about his ability to meet deadlines so it's anyone's guess when we might hear it
burningwheel
Known user

Post by burningwheel »

As rumored,, Surprise 2 unreleased tracks on th EP collection! Get em while hot, it seems they are out of print already as they are up for pre-order again on the official site due out in octoberr
Vancouver
Known user

Post by Vancouver »

What? In addition to the 2 "new" ones when it was originally released?
burningwheel
Known user

Post by burningwheel »

Vancouver wrote: Sat May 22, 2021 2:52 am What? In addition to the 2 "new" ones when it was originally released?
Yes. Untitled and off your face demo. Someone uploaded to YouTube yesterday, probably removed today but idk. Someone on my mbv fb group is offering them to.people
Vancouver
Known user

Post by Vancouver »

Woah...hadn't heard that. Cheers.
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

Interesting, I had to do quite a bit of googling to find out more about this. Thought more people would be talking about it.
Kind of annoying for me, the EPs collection is the only one that hasn't had a vinyl release. If there was a vinyl version I'd be happy to upgrade and also get the two extra tracks.
sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

Sounds like a juncture between Isn't Anything and Loveless, not bad at all. Couldn't find the Off Your Face demo.
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

Yeah that's pretty good! Needs a bit more development. But I do think their sound works well when they work with drum beats like that