Record Store Day 2021

For new sounds, old sounds and favourite sound discussion...

Moderators: sunny, BzaInSpace, runcible, spzretent

angelsighs
Known user

Record Store Day 2021

Post by angelsighs »

https://recordstoreday.co.uk/news/posts ... -revealed/

the list has been revealed. is anyone that bothered?

like last year they are doing it in 'drops' rather than one big day.

first year without any Spacemen 3 releases for a while I think? does that mean they ran out of things to rerelease, or has the legal stuff that's been going on had some effect?
Bardo Pond vol 1 and 2 getting reissued too. the only thing that really makes my mouth water though is the 4LP box of Ocean Songs by Dirty Three.
Ian
Known user

Re: Record Store Day 2021

Post by Ian »

I can't see that there would be anything to stop another Space Age release of the same old things on coloured vinyl or different sleeves. Delighted that there isn't anything like that this time around.
I have a passion sweet Lord...
http://www.spacemen3.co.uk
stegraham
Known user

Post by stegraham »

BJM/telescopes split looks interesting.
sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

Carlton Melton LP 'Night Pillers' and an ambient soundtrack 12" 'Doorway Amnesia' by The Aliens grabbing my attention.

Nice to see Add N To X 'On The Wires of Our Nerves' get a reissue i guess. As a fan i don't think it's as good as the three albums that followed it but it's decent. Plus, that cover deserves recognition once more!
Nineteen...Nineteen...Six Five
olan
Known user

Post by olan »

sunray wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 2:10 pm Carlton Melton LP 'Night Pillers' and an ambient soundtrack 12" 'Doorway Amnesia' by The Aliens grabbing my attention.

Nice to see Add N To X 'On The Wires of Our Nerves' get a reissue i guess. As a fan i don't think it's as good as the three albums that followed it but it's decent. Plus, that cover deserves recognition once more!
I'll be after the Carlton Melton LP and probably both of The Future Sound of London records. I didn't spot the Add N To X record. Might give that some thought.
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

ah now you're all now spotting things I missed! :)

yeah the Carlton Melton looks good, some songs from the same session as the last album.
niamhm
Known user

Post by niamhm »

Yip, the Carlton Melton one for me as well, the Hawkwind - Greasy Truckers Party looks interesting along with the Sisters Of Mercy`s - BBC Sessions, I have this on a scratchy bootleg vinyl from yrs back and a decent upgrade would be worth checking out, but as both of these are double vinyl I can imagine that will be the fat end of 80 quid as RSD releases are so bloody pricey, will see at the time but Carlton Melton for sure, just hope its a better pressing than the last album, was in touch with Agitated Records about this and they said there was talk of replacement records but heard nothing since.
olan
Known user

Post by olan »

niamhm wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 7:53 pm Yip, the Carlton Melton one for me as well, the Hawkwind - Greasy Truckers Party looks interesting along with the Sisters Of Mercy`s - BBC Sessions, I have this on a scratchy bootleg vinyl from yrs back and a decent upgrade would be worth checking out, but as both of these are double vinyl I can imagine that will be the fat end of 80 quid as RSD releases are so bloody pricey, will see at the time but Carlton Melton for sure, just hope its a better pressing than the last album, was in touch with Agitated Records about this and they said there was talk of replacement records but heard nothing since.
All the Sisters of Mercy BBC Radio Sessions that I'm aware of (2xPeel and 1xJensen) are on TIDAL under E.P.s for a while now. I presume they're also on Spotify etc etc.
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

so how did people get on?

I didn't bother getting up mega early or anything, went around lunch time and there was a little bit of queuing then managed to get the Bardo Pond and William Tyler records. not a RSD release but also impulse purchased rkt by The Heads.

but the one I really wanted was the Dirty Three set, it did appear online later that day but I changed my mind. even at £63 from Resident records (signed by Warren Ellis) I just thought about how many other records I could buy for that. but the thing is, if I knew I could have got it later, I might not have bought the other things. it makes it hard to plan and keep a budget.

some of the records scheduled for drop 1 have been moved to drop 2, I think because of pressing plant delays. including Carlton Melton.
something needs to change.
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

I found a 6 LP Paris 72 Grateful Dead box set at Jumbo for what seems way less than it was in the USA. The wonderful folks at Jumbo deliver in the Leeds area at a much reduced rate and even though I'm a way outside Leeds they are still prepared to bring me my prized purchase. They even mentioned Ian's and my podcast as some of the staff are big Spacemen 3 fans! :o :D :o That Dead box was my only purchase... Love those Jumbo guys!
Laz69
Known user

Post by Laz69 »

Planned on heading into Glasgow for it as i was keen to pick up the Carlton Melton LP. Found out late last week it had been pushed back to Drop #2. Only other items of interest were the two Bardo Pond LPs (Vol1 & 2) which i fancied.

Eventually decided late on Friday night i really couldn't be arsed with any of it, as i started to hear about queues forming on the Friday night. The thought of getting in there early, queuing for ages and then not getting anything was too much. Set an alarm for 6pm, logged into Resident Records website and ordered both Bardo Pond LPs. Was all done in less than 5mins.
olan
Known user

Post by olan »

I bought the two Future Sound of London LPs and the Mogwai Soundtrack LP. At £75 for 3 LPs I have the arse with RSD.
Aquarian-Time
Known user

Post by Aquarian-Time »

I popped to my local store in Winsford. Got there at 6am. 4th in the queue. He only had 2 mogwai pls so wasn’t taking any chances, duly sniffled that so all good. Also picked up Echo and The Bunnymen, Suede, Wire 10” set, Primal Scream, Kristin Hersh, Warchild 12” and Howe Gelb
Then logged on at 6pm and got aforementioned Grateful Dead live set, bardo pond, Belly, BJM/Telescopes and the Osees.
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

Laz69 wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 5:21 pm
Eventually decided late on Friday night i really couldn't be arsed with any of it, as i started to hear about queues forming on the Friday night. The thought of getting in there early, queuing for ages and then not getting anything was too much. Set an alarm for 6pm, logged into Resident Records website and ordered both Bardo Pond LPs. Was all done in less than 5mins.
this is what people were advising me- because Resident get pretty much anything unless you are really unlucky, you can probably get it from their site at the end of the day.

queuing sucks but I must say after an extended period of lockdown, talking to real life humans felt quite good!
Laz69
Known user

Post by Laz69 »

angelsighs wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 8:22 am
Laz69 wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 5:21 pm
this is what people were advising me- because Resident get pretty much anything unless you are really unlucky, you can probably get it from their site at the end of the day.

queuing sucks but I must say after an extended period of lockdown, talking to real life humans felt quite good!
I was having a particularly bad week last week in my defence. I had planned on going to Monorail, but they were reminding people that the queue started at noon on the Friday last year.

Noon. The day before. During a pandemic.

At that point i said nah. I think i've become very accustomed to just my own company. Don't think I'm quite ready for real world interaction with strangers.
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

I am lucky that my local record shop takes a list from some of their regular customers and I don't have to line up. I just roll in around noon and a bag is waiting for me.
Purchases:
Toots & The Maytals- Funky Kingston LP
Verlaines Live 1985 2x LP
Replacements- Pleased To Meet Me Outtakes Lp
Mark Lanegan Here Comes That Weird Chill LP unbeknownst to me it is mastered at 45 rpm ensuring I will never open it.
More RSD LPs that I have bought on the day in years.
http://www.lilmoxie.com
Detroit, Music, Sports and Other Stuff(including Spiritualized, Spacemen 3)