Bizarre new local record shop experience

For new sounds, old sounds and favourite sound discussion...

Moderators: sunny, BzaInSpace, runcible, spzretent

spzretent
Site Admin

Bizarre new local record shop experience

Post by spzretent »

This new record shop opened here about 1 1/2 years ago. Nothing from the outside really appealed to me so I never ventured in until today.
Holy shit! This was the very first time I walked into a shop and records were treated and priced like investments. Several $300 to $500 records. Seems like every LP is researched on Discogs and the records priced at the high end or even higher.
To be fair I was bored yesterday and happened upon their FB page and they do those new/used LPs in videos and there was a House Of Love LP I wanted in one of the videos. Thankfully this was priced high at $25 but no shipping and no Discogs/Ebay LP grading disappointment. The 90's UK vinyl is insanely priced.
The owner struck up a conversation with me and seriously tried to make it seem like these were to going prices. Maybe in New York or LA. Not Detroit.
When I took my LP to the counter the clerk asked me if I was interested in joining their "music club" which usually means after you spend x amount you get a discount. Not here. He said it's $79 per year. For 10% off each purchase.
Another crazy part of this conversation between owner and clerk was about a Rolling Stones Satanic Majesties Request 3-d cover LP. The owner said he was so close to keeping it but decided not to. I mentioned they are not the hard to find and he went off on the condition and how it wasn't nice enough. He then said this " not really a huge Stones fan. Kiss did cover of 2000 Man. That is the only reason I want it". The clerks response? "that is the Stones only good record". I know not everyone likes the Stones but this conversation left me just shaking my head as I walked out.
Pretty sure i'm not going back.
http://www.lilmoxie.com
Detroit, Music, Sports and Other Stuff(including Spiritualized, Spacemen 3)
SpEnCeR1
Known user

Re: Bizarre new local record shop experience

Post by SpEnCeR1 »

indeed, some 90's UK vinyl is very strongly priced at the moment. i sold some recently and couldn't quite believe what people were prepared to pay. the condition wasn't always that great either.
Greeny
Known user

Post by Greeny »

$500 records? What sort of stuff were they trying to flog for that?

It's a shame that, owing to personal circumstances, the 90s were about the only era I didn't buy lots of vinyl!!
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

Big Star- Radio City $350
A Pulp record- $450
MC5- Kick Out The Jams orig $250
House Of Love Audience With The Mind $180
I didn't really check out any of the LP's high on the wall which were the more expensive LP's and can't really remember what was up there. I was in shock.
Maybe it works. I paid $25 for A Spy In The House Of Love LP and was happy it was only priced that. Weirdly I thought I got a deal. I didn't.
http://www.lilmoxie.com
Detroit, Music, Sports and Other Stuff(including Spiritualized, Spacemen 3)
davedecay
Known user

Post by davedecay »

One local shop I go to has a 'buyers club' discount, but the yearly fee is around $15 (I think) and it's 10% off all purchases. I joined and save more than that yearly. It's nice to grab a $20 album and pay $18.
burningwheel
Known user

Post by burningwheel »

Crazy!
[url=http://www.loveisforever.org]Primal Scream, My Bloody Valentine, Swervedriver, Chapterhouse, The Telescopes, Loop, Verve and more![/url]
Gruff
Known user

Post by Gruff »

90's vinyl is now trendy?
Wow. Maybe now is the time to sell The Stone Roses collection I have. Probably missed the boat though-2012 might have been better. NM.
When the hand points to the moon only the fool looks at the finger
SpEnCeR1
Known user

Post by SpEnCeR1 »

Gruff wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 7:58 pm 90's vinyl is now trendy?
Wow. Maybe now is the time to sell The Stone Roses collection I have. Probably missed the boat though-2012 might have been better. NM.
It's VERY trendy, I got over £120 ea for a load of LPs recently ... you'll get a fair few bob if you've got the ltd edition 2x 45rpm version of the debut btw.
Gruff
Known user

Post by Gruff »

Unfortunately not. Shame. I’ve got all the postcard editions and the fools gold/wtwisf gold disc though. Always planned to turn them into a wall display but never have.
When the hand points to the moon only the fool looks at the finger
TheWarmth
Known user

Post by TheWarmth »

RE: 90's vinyl ... I don't think "trendy" is the right word. It's rare. Vinyl was being pressed at an all time low at that time. That's why those records are so expensive. Luckily, a lot of that stuff has been getting the reissue treatment (the Super Furry Animals' catalog, for example). I'd be hesitant to spend a lot of $ on any 90's pressing, though. I don't think great care was being taken to ensure that the pressings were high quality ... probably because at that point in time vinyl is an afterthought.