Can..where to start?

For new sounds, old sounds and favourite sound discussion...

Moderators: sunny, BzaInSpace, runcible, spzretent

jb
Known user

Can..where to start?

Post by jb »

I've been listening to a bit of Can for the first time on youtube (couple of live recordings plus peel sessions). I've been enjoying it and was wondering if anyone has any recommendations for where I might start with their back catalogue?

Thanks! James
olan
Known user

Re: Can..where to start?

Post by olan »

jb wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 5:56 pm I've been listening to a bit of Can for the first time on youtube (couple of live recordings plus peel sessions). I've been enjoying it and was wondering if anyone has any recommendations for where I might start with their back catalogue?

Thanks! James
I prefer the really early stuff so Monster Movie, Soundtracks or Tago Mago is where I would start. Alternatively you could just buy the yellow box set if you are a vinyl person and have the thick end of £500 burning a hole in your pocket. :D
BzaInSpace
Site Admin

Post by BzaInSpace »

As Olan says... those albums are amazing.

I also highly recommend Ege Bamyasi, Future Days and Delay 1968.

Tago Mago is probably my favourite but there’s not much CAN I haven’t heard I don’t like.

Looking forward to hearing the incoming Live 1975 release.
O P 8
olan
Known user

Post by olan »

BzaInSpace wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 8:28 pm Looking forward to hearing the incoming Live 1975 release.
It appears that Can never made mixing desk recordings of their gigs. This new live LP is an audience recording from a bloke with big pants.

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/05/11/arts ... lbums.html
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

If I was going to recommend just one for a newcomer it would be Ege Bamyasi. It's relatively concise and clean sounding with some great grooves.

You really can't go wrong with anything up until Future Days though. And that includes Delay 1968. Their early stuff is more raw and scratchy sounding so that or Monster Movie would be good to move onto next.

Tago Mago is incredible, but those extended ambient pieces could be quite off-putting to a newcomer. Even I have to be in the mood for them I have to say. Quite often get a skip.
olan wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 8:40 pm It appears that Can never made mixing desk recordings of their gigs. This new live LP is an audience recording from a bloke with big pants.
😂 The big pants is a genius move! No one's gonna search there
niamhm
Known user

Post by niamhm »

olan wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 8:40 pm
BzaInSpace wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 8:28 pm Looking forward to hearing the incoming Live 1975 release.
It appears that Can never made mixing desk recordings of their gigs. This new live LP is an audience recording from a bloke with big pants.

Off course it was :lol: :lol: :lol:
niamhm
Known user

Post by niamhm »

Sounds like you`ve already started jb, Monster Movie or Tago Mago maybe, or Egi Bam Yasi shorter and more concise but no less of a showcase of what they`re about, its funny because you could pick The recent singles compilation or Can The Lost Tapes, relatively recently as your `way in` and I don`t think you`d be disappointed, but whatever you choose enjoy
SpEnCeR1
Known user

Post by SpEnCeR1 »

Defo start with Ege Bamyasi ,its poppy and concise and melodic but also rhythmic and improv based. The Lost Tapes is a great hodgepodge of all their styles. there are some great live boots floating about, hopefully some of them will be released officially soon with SQ upgrades.

Future Days also great, more atmospheric.
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

I'd also agree on The Lost Tapes.. keep that as a treat once you've tried the proper albums. an absolute treasure trove of unreleased material, the majority of which is just as good as the released stuff.

apparently the next 2 in the new Live series will actually be from the same tour! Brighton Sussex University Nov 75 and Cuxhaven Germany Jan 76.
when I heard it was audience recordings I was a bit concerned about sound quality. but from the preview it sounds like they've spruced them up very nicely. don't want my Can live recordings overly polished anyways.
jb
Known user

Post by jb »

Cool...thanks everyone!

Gonna get 1/2 of these and go from there...

Take care

James
olan
Known user

Post by olan »

This made me smile:

Last edited by olan on Thu Jun 03, 2021 5:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

might just be my device but I can't see an image there Olan?

I need to find the time to listen to the new live album.. too many good things coming out!
olan
Known user

Post by olan »

angelsighs wrote: Thu Jun 03, 2021 2:21 pm might just be my device but I can't see an image there Olan?

I need to find the time to listen to the new live album.. too many good things coming out!
Tried to fix it. There should be a flowchart there now, God help us all.....
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

Haha that's great! I actually agree with a lot of what that says. It kinda makes sense!
toomilk
Known user

Post by toomilk »

Wow, I was about to recommend the top of the tree with funky/mellow branches! That's hilarious and I completely agree.