Spiritualized supporting Neil Young 1996 video

For new sounds, old sounds and favourite sound discussion...

Moderators: sunny, BzaInSpace, runcible, spzretent

niamhm
Known user

Spiritualized supporting Neil Young 1996 video

Post by niamhm »

I think this might have just appeared a day or two ago, certainly never seen it before https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9oSeSbU984o
sunray
Known user

Re: Spiritualized supporting Neil Young 1996 video

Post by sunray »

Cheers Gary :D Camera work is a bit annoying at times but the sound is great.
Nineteen...Nineteen...Six Five
Pat Garrett
Known user

Post by Pat Garrett »

Caron Malcom is Nick McCabe's partner. Had no idea she was Spiritualized's tour manager back then.
BzaInSpace
Site Admin

Post by BzaInSpace »

Awesome - cheers for this!

The 1996 dates used to be the holy grail for bootleg fiends like me - the ‘Electricity’ b-sides are only thing out there apart from a really spacey radio session thing.

Wonder what date this is from? Note the virtually empty stadium 🤯
O P 8
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

Man this is so cool! It popped up on my feed the other day but I didn't take notice and thought it was one of the soundcheck ones I'd already seen.
So much to enjoy about this :
Early versions of ladies and gents songs!
Kate Radley on keyboards
Relatively concise version of Cop Shoot Cop
Absolutely blinding version of Electric Mainline

The crowd is very sparse at the beginning isn't it. But it fills up near the end. I quite like the look of those amphitheatre type venues you seem to get a lot of in the states. Guaranteed good view!
Not sure if many Neil fans would have been converted tbh! Quite a lot of droney songs in the set
Greeny
Known user

Post by Greeny »

Couple of things struck me:

Kate on bass! Guess that was a thing back then, but I only saw them once with her in the band and that was summer 97. She stayed resolutely behind the keyboards then as I recall...

And the guy on the desk "playing" the riff for Electric Mainline. Anybody know what that was about?
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

I think Kate only played bass on These Blues, so Sean was free to play his harmonica
It happened a bit on the ladies and gents tour too i think. Didn't Mike play bass on Broken Heart, maybe others? What about Walking With Jesus?
Greeny wrote: Mon Jun 28, 2021 9:16 am
And the guy on the desk "playing" the riff for Electric Mainline. Anybody know what that was about?
This struck me too. The lightning engineer literally *playing* the lights like another member of the band? I guess some engineers have most of it pre programmed but this was really interesting to see in a nerdy way.
It must mean that they have to know the songs really well. Also presumably means you can't change around the setlist that much
Laz69
Known user

Post by Laz69 »

Nice to see Jason break out the "3" telecaster. I recall Kate playing bass on These Blues when they played Glasgow on the Pure Phase tour. This vid kinda threw me as i thought she was long gone by '96, my memory is very fuzzy tho...
SpEnCeR1
Known user

Post by SpEnCeR1 »

Laz69 wrote: Tue Jun 29, 2021 9:37 am Nice to see Jason break out the "3" telecaster. I recall Kate playing bass on These Blues when they played Glasgow on the Pure Phase tour. This vid kinda threw me as i thought she was long gone by '96, my memory is very fuzzy tho...
her and Jason's relationship was long gone but i saw her onstage with them in '97
Greeny
Known user

Post by Greeny »

SpEnCeR1 wrote: Tue Jun 29, 2021 1:30 pm
Laz69 wrote: Tue Jun 29, 2021 9:37 am Nice to see Jason break out the "3" telecaster. I recall Kate playing bass on These Blues when they played Glasgow on the Pure Phase tour. This vid kinda threw me as i thought she was long gone by '96, my memory is very fuzzy tho...
her and Jason's relationship was long gone but i saw her onstage with them in '97
Same - she was onstage with them at the Essential Festival in summer 97. But gone by the time of RAH.
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

in terms of the lineup, I also wonder why John Coxon didn't stick around. he was guitarist on the Pure Phase tour right? and he plays on Ladies and Gents. but he didn't return to the live show until LICD (and even then, I'd probably say Doggen was the lead guitarist)
FrayedTorn
New user

Post by FrayedTorn »

angelsighs wrote: Tue Jul 06, 2021 9:38 am in terms of the lineup, I also wonder why John Coxon didn't stick around. he was guitarist on the Pure Phase tour right? and he plays on Ladies and Gents. but he didn't return to the live show until LICD (and even then, I'd probably say Doggen was the lead guitarist)
I think he was busy with Spring Heel Jack around that time.
angel-sighs
Known user

Post by angel-sighs »

FrayedTorn wrote: Fri Apr 01, 2022 7:32 pm
angelsighs wrote: Tue Jul 06, 2021 9:38 am in terms of the lineup, I also wonder why John Coxon didn't stick around. he was guitarist on the Pure Phase tour right? and he plays on Ladies and Gents. but he didn't return to the live show until LICD (and even then, I'd probably say Doggen was the lead guitarist)
I think he was busy with Spring Heel Jack around that time.
Ah yes that makes sense! I wonder how it would have panned out if he played the tour as well.