Richard Ashcroft pulls out of Tramlines Festival

For new sounds, old sounds and favourite sound discussion...

Moderators: sunny, BzaInSpace, runcible, spzretent

neil_jung
Known user

Richard Ashcroft pulls out of Tramlines Festival

Post by neil_jung »

Richard Ashcroft pulls out of Tramlines Festival due to it becoming government test event
Ashcroft says he refuses to play "concerts with restrictions"
“I had informed my agent months ago I wouldn’t be playing concerts with restrictions, the status of the festival was one thing when I signed up for it, but , sadly was forced to become something else.”

“It must be an age thing but the words Government Experiment and Festival,” Ashcroft added alongside three laughing face emojis.

“#naturalrebel #theydontownme,”
what a ****

natural rebel? a rebel would say, 'screw you pandemic, i'm going to play music'

instead he is going to hang out in the faded rock star care home with johnny marr, Morrissey, noel Gallagher...

i hope he personally refunds anyone who bought a ticket just to see him...
I’ve been visiting morgues and monasteries
Looking for the necessary body parts
Limbs and livers and brains and hearts
I want to bring someone to life - is what I want to do
I want to create my own version of you

dylan
Laz69
Known user

Re: Richard Ashcroft pulls out of Tramlines Festival

Post by Laz69 »

Dick by name, dick by nature. A nobody, still desparately trying to make himself relevant.
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

if I was feeling charitable, maybe this isn't an Ian Brown type anti vax thing, but he would just prefer to play a gig without any restrictions.. I'm probably being too forgiving though.
to think this guy was once a bit of a hero of mine. now he means nothing to me. weirdly though there is a core of fans who think he can do no wrong. go and look at comments on his youtube videos.. it's amazing.

those hashtags are pure cringe aren't they? rebel my arse.

don't bundle Johnny Marr in with the rest of those guys!! Johnny seems a pretty sensible and sound guy
clewsr
Known user

Post by clewsr »

to offer a little contrast, My impression of Ashcroft was been very low for years, but it went significantly higher after reading this article.
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

yep, to be fair, reading further it's more just that he doesn't want to be part of a government test.
so actually it's far from an anti vax or anti mask thing. it doesn't make sense though when he says he doesn't want to be part of anything with restrictions... the point is, there's no restrictions. bit of a paradox there.

the hashtags are still cringe though :)
clewsr
Known user

Post by clewsr »

angelsighs wrote: Tue Jul 06, 2021 10:50 am
You are certainly right there!

In terms of the festival is there not a negative test requirement in order to attend? That to me is a restriction.
sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

Must be something in that Manc water.
Nineteen...Nineteen...Six Five
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

clewsr wrote: Tue Jul 06, 2021 11:22 am

In terms of the festival is there not a negative test requirement in order to attend? That to me is a restriction.
Fair point. I guess my lack of interest in him nowadays is more to his diminishing musical output more than anything. This isn't a huge deal. It's important to try and separate the art from the artist otherwise we wouldn't be left with a lot.
neil_jung
Known user

Post by neil_jung »

angelsighs wrote: Tue Jul 06, 2021 1:26 pm
clewsr wrote: Tue Jul 06, 2021 11:22 am

Fair point. I guess my lack of interest in him nowadays is more to his diminishing musical output more than anything. This isn't a huge deal. It's important to try and separate the art from the artist otherwise we wouldn't be left with a lot.

the 'not having covid restriction' is the same restriction for everthing, no? you mean to tell me he hasn't been to the shops in the last 18 months? do you think he stopped playing indoor shows because of smoking restrictions? do you think he doesn't go to pubs because there are age restrictions?

my concern with this is the people who have paid to see him getting hung out because he lacks the flexibility to think for himself and realise that no restrictions, except not being sick, is not a restirction, as kierkegaard said, “People demand freedom of speech as a compensation for the freedom of thought which they seldom use.”

i saw on their website that there will be bag searches, i guess that is why he's upset? oh and apparently you can't take weapons or drugs to the festival, and we know that ashcroft would never support anything such as drug use!

dylan
neil_jung
Known user

Post by neil_jung »

and another...

Richard Ashcroft has pulled out of a performance at Portsmouth’s Victorious Festival later this month, after seemingly objecting to the risk measures put in place to stop the spread of COVID-19.

It comes after the former Verve frontman pulled out of a headline set at Sheffield’s Tramlines Festival last month after being informed that the event was part of the government’s Events Research Programme.

Announcing his departure from the bill, Victorious Festival organisers said: “Following extensive discussions about the measures we have put in place to reduce risk for visitors, artists and workers at this year’s festival, Richard Ashcroft will no longer perform at the event.

“We will announce a replacement shortly.”

All attendees at the festival are currently required to show proof of a negative NHS Lateral Flow Test, proof of full vaccination or proof of natural immunity.

he's wearing a tshirt with his own name on it...

https://www.nme.com/news/music/richard- ... es-3012811

dylan
beaker73
Known user

Post by beaker73 »

Well, makes sense. That way people will know who he is :-)
"I've been drinking all night long, but my hands are steady"
neil_jung
Known user

Post by neil_jung »

beaker73 wrote: Sat Aug 07, 2021 9:58 pm Well, makes sense. That way people will know who he is :-)

haha, even him, maybe?

then it would say
i'm the guy from that video walking down the street being an ass with the song that was used in the nike commercial

dylan
beaker73
Known user

Post by beaker73 »

neil_jung wrote: Sat Aug 07, 2021 10:03 pm
beaker73 wrote: Sat Aug 07, 2021 9:58 pm Well, makes sense. That way people will know who he is :-)

haha, even him, maybe?

then it would say
i'm the guy from that video walking down the street being an ass with the song that was used in the nike commercial
:lol:
"I've been drinking all night long, but my hands are steady"
PopeJez
Known user

Post by PopeJez »

A Northern Soul is still one of my favourite records. After that when Dick's ego kicked in - it's all downhill.
neil_jung
Known user

Post by neil_jung »

https://www.nme.com/news/music/ian-brow ... 21-3015908

ian brown too

On July 30, Ian Brown continued to express his controversial views on COVID and the measures that are in place to curb the virus’ spread. “Masks,Tests,Jabs,Digital health ID passes. Im exempt to all due to allergies. Im allergic to bullshit!” he wrote on Twitter.

dylan
Venkman
Known user

Post by Venkman »

If the last year had taught me anything, it's that Ian Brown's an even bigger prick than I'd previously given him credit for.

Was delighted to see Anton Newcombe eviscerating him on Twitter.
neil_jung
Known user

Post by neil_jung »

Venkman wrote: Wed Aug 11, 2021 1:05 pm If the last year had taught me anything, it's that Ian Brown's an even bigger prick than I'd previously given him credit for.

Was delighted to see Anton Newcombe eviscerating him on Twitter.
Brown has made a slew of bizarre coronavirus tweets over the past few months, including a series of tweets made on September 22nd, where he claimed the pandemic was planned to make us digital slaves.

“THE GREAT RESET the plandemic planned designed and executed to make us digital slaves #factchecker #researchanddestroy,” Brown tweeted.

“ALL tyrannies rule through fraud and force but once the FRAUD is exposed they must rely exclusively on FORCE George Orwell.

“A survival rate of 99.9% and they are into our work life home life social life school life love life garden, back yard your body your wife and kids bodies AND THATS OK?.”
There must’ve been something in the pingers during the heyday of Madchester as Noel Gallagher of Oasis has also spouted controversial coronavirus views.

During an appearance on the Matt Morgan podcast, the former Oasis guitarist revealed that he is somewhat of an anti-masker.

“It’s not a law. There’s too many fucking liberties being taken away from us now … I choose not to wear one. If I get the virus it’s on me, it’s not on anyone else … it’s a piss-take. There’s no need for it … They’re pointless.”

“People demand freedom of speech as a compensation for the freedom of thought which they seldom use.”

― Søren Kierkegaard

dylan
angel-sighs
Known user

Post by angel-sighs »

Mr Ashcroft is on Sky Arts 'Great Songwriters' series tonight
I am sure he'll be extremely humble!

https://www.tvguide.co.uk/m-detail/4355 ... ongwriters
Laz69
Known user

Post by Laz69 »

'Great Songwriters'
:lol: :lol: :lol:
heisenberg
Known user

Post by heisenberg »

He played that extremely boring acoustic version of BSS that feels longer than Apocalyse Now. Never once mentioned the Verve. Apparently he wrote BSS all by himself. Space and Time and Lucky Man are relegated to average songs with the bland arrangements around them. On top of all that, he seems completely humourless and full of himself- big deep intakes of breath when he's about to get all philosophical. By comparison, I watched the Stooges documentary Gimme Danger a few days before this and Iggy was giggling and laughing at some of the bad shit that happened to him and the band throughout their history. He was really honest and direct about his flaws and failings but still comes across like the coolest singer by the time the documentary shows him on stage in 2010 with the reuinted Stooges. That's how you do it.

You'd think there must be at least someone in his life who innocently asks Ashcroft 'why don't you get the Verve back together? They're way better than your solo stuff.' Or even a stranger when he pops to the newsagents to get fags or whatever? Strange.
angel-sighs
Known user

Post by angel-sighs »

heisenberg wrote: Tue Feb 01, 2022 3:25 pm You'd think there must be at least someone in his life who innocently asks Ashcroft 'why don't you get the Verve back together? They're way better than your solo stuff.' Or even a stranger when he pops to the newsagents to get fags or whatever? Strange.
Thing is, i think people have done. Or he knows people will say this. And i think it bothers him.

Agree on pretty much all your thoughts, the stripped down versions of the songs just don't do it for me. No dynamics, no interplay, just him strumming at the same volume throughout. Busking basically.
Even what I think is a great song like Space and Time got repetitive.

Great Songwriter- no. He wrote a few great songs at one time
Great Frontman- if that was the title of the show then Yes.

In the interests of balance- I think his voice is sounding good, it's aged well. And i honestly don't think the interview was that bad, compared to others he's done.