Don't Just Do Something

For new sounds, old sounds and favourite sound discussion...

Moderators: sunny, BzaInSpace, runcible, spzretent

Pat Garrett
Known user

Don't Just Do Something

Post by Pat Garrett »

I absolutely love this song. I think it's one of the best Jason has ever written. Can any of you recommend any of your favourite live versions?

I was at the October 2001 show at Riverside Church in NYC but I'd just started taking antidepressants and I was so numb to the music that I felt cheated out of an experience. By all accounts the fall 2001 LICD tour was spectacular. 20 years ago :shock:
angelsighs
Known user

Re: Don't Just Do Something

Post by angelsighs »

I quite agree! One of my favourite Spiritualized songs of them all, i really relate to the lyrics and love the way it builds. It's similar to I Think I'm In Love where there's lot of witty lyrics paired together. But really it's unlike nothing else in the catalogue.

I don't think there's too many live versions, I believe it was mainly played in 2001

Checked my ipod and I've got these audience recordings
11.10 Hammersmith Apollo
3.11 Boulder Fox Theatre
13.11 LA Wiltern

I will have to listen and see which is best..

And.. There's this Brixton Academy gig which was streamed by xfm.. Omg the way the song builds live near the end, it's a different feel to the studio version but still goosebumps

https://youtu.be/4vmvsHgIxz0
BzaInSpace
Site Admin

Post by BzaInSpace »

I have to say that’s an amazing version.

However, nothing will ever beat - for me at least - the album version. Immaculate production - I love the switch from the fuzzy voice in one channel into the clear voice in the opening sequence. Proper Kate Radley keys.

The colossal slide into (and slide guitar) - the “oh babe, I’m going nowhere…” makes my day or night or whenever I hear it. That thrill never gets old.

20 years. Where did that go? As time has gone I can hear more and more in that track as I no longer listen in a shit boom-box with shit headphones. It’s amazing.

“The reasons are confusing too”

Plus that last bit when there’s that great line about “life ain’t good without cigarettes” when he should have said a word ending in “in”

I think it was 26$ who mentioned that first. I miss that guy here…
O P 8
Pat Garrett
Known user

Post by Pat Garrett »

angelsighs wrote: Mon Aug 16, 2021 9:20 pm
And.. There's this Brixton Academy gig which was streamed by xfm.. Omg the way the song builds live near the end, it's a different feel to the studio version but still goosebumps

Thank you. This is fantastic!
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

Pat Garrett wrote: Thu Aug 19, 2021 11:26 am
angelsighs wrote: Mon Aug 16, 2021 9:20 pm

Thank you. This is fantastic!
Really glad you like, it's great isn't it. The visuals are poor (standard early internet stream) but the audio is fine. They weren't messing around with that setlist. Cop Shoot Cop to open and lots of other epics in there. 2 hrs 21 mins!

At time I also found a CD bootleg of the show. However when i got home i discovered it wasn't the audio from the stream but a very poor quality audience recording.

Had a listen to the 2001 shows and LA was probably the best quality. Still probably better off listening to the Brixton one though. They had the expanded ensemble in 2001 but from what i can hear not much is being added apart from a few saxophone lines