Aquarium Drunkard Interview / New Album

For new sounds, old sounds and favourite sound discussion...

Moderators: sunny, BzaInSpace, runcible, spzretent

TheWarmth
Known user

Aquarium Drunkard Interview / New Album

Post by TheWarmth »

J. confirms new album is done and will be out early next year.

https://aquariumdrunkard.com/2021/09/08 ... interview/
ro
Known user

Re: Aquarium Drunkard Interview / New Album

Post by ro »

ooh, exciting.
thank you!
good dope/good fun
Known user

Post by good dope/good fun »

I like that he's thinking of playing Pure Phase in its entirety.
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

nice interview. agree that it's interesting he's thinking it would be fun to play other albums in full.

great to hear that the new album is done. not being mixed, mastered, tinkered with, whatever. done. I am sure it was like we said, it was best to wait for release until the reissue campaign was done.
BzaInSpace
Site Admin

Post by BzaInSpace »

Great news to wake up to!

Wish the interviewer had asked more about the new album but still. Excited!
O P 8
Greeny
Known user

Post by Greeny »

"Whoever wants to pay a retainer to the major can make a reissue of it."

I had never really thought about this. How intriguing!
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

Anyone know what "We could play without going up skirts" means? When answering the question about how it felt like to record Pure Phase compared to the first album
SpEnCeR1
Known user

Post by SpEnCeR1 »

this is one of the single greatest quotes about music ... totally spot on; i shall cherish it forever

Jason Pierce: Wow, I don’t know how to answer that. I feel that music is the single most important thing. It’s a way to travel without traveling. It can console. It can heal. It can enlighten. I think if you can get that from parts of what we do, that’s the main thing. It’s the same thing that I got from other people’s music. There’s a sense that when everything’s going wrong, you can go and listen to a favorite piece of music and go and be all right. There’s something about other people’s music, whether it’s listening to J.J. Cale on the bus in South Carolina or the strange way that music can relate to the city that you’re in or the kind of mood you’re in.

Music doesn’t really come with any instruction. I’ve got music that didn’t make any sense to me when I was in my 20s, but now it feels so important. There’s a kind of learning curve in the listener as well, you know. Some music, you only really understand if you come via another band. I don’t think I would have gotten into free jazz if I hadn’t come through the MC5 or the Stooges. If I was dropped into the world with Peter Brötzmann from nowhere, I’d say come get me out of here? But I got to his music through other forms, and it makes sense. So, I think that that is a whole other process going on.
Pat Garrett
Known user

Post by Pat Garrett »

Will be interesting to hear how Jason managed to record this new album during lockdown.
mkb
Known user

Post by mkb »

Hopefully if Fat Possum are on board for this then there's already a release plan and this doesn't sit in limbo for ages. Makes sense for it to follow on from the reissue schedule.
SpEnCeR1
Known user

Post by SpEnCeR1 »

Pat Garrett wrote: Thu Sep 09, 2021 12:04 pm Will be interesting to hear how Jason managed to record this new album during lockdown.
much like the last one i expect
Spiby
Known user

Post by Spiby »

angelsighs wrote: Thu Sep 09, 2021 11:30 am Anyone know what "We could play without going up skirts" means? When answering the question about how it felt like to record Pure Phase compared to the first album
I can only think the interviewer misheard. Otherwise... huh?
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

Spiby wrote: Thu Sep 09, 2021 2:01 pm
angelsighs wrote: Thu Sep 09, 2021 11:30 am Anyone know what "We could play without going up skirts" means? When answering the question about how it felt like to record Pure Phase compared to the first album
I can only think the interviewer misheard. Otherwise... huh?
yeah exactly! I thought it may have been a colloquialism I wasn't aware of
BzaInSpace
Site Admin

Post by BzaInSpace »

Also - hope this means that J will be going on the road again sooner than later. It would be a first - despite these unusual times - not to take the band on tour with a new record out. Here’s hoping.

I’m glad this is coming out at last. I heard rumours a while back (I can name and shame now haha) from both Veiko and Simon K who’d met with the band/Jason and suggested he was well ahead - if not near finishing work - on another album. This was post ‘And Nothing Hurt’, very soon after actually so I wonder if these are just continuations of those sessions. Or maybe not.

I was told he was learning to mix properly and even so I suspected another album was years away.

Anyway, his production style remains for me unequalled. So much there but it’s not obvious at first which I think he alludes to in that interview.

Also 😂 at not really sure which tracks are on which albums…
O P 8
Sim
Known user

Post by Sim »

BzaInSpace wrote: Thu Sep 09, 2021 8:11 pm Also 😂 at not really sure which tracks are on which albums…
Or whether or not they were originally released on vinyl!

Post by sunray »

It refers to no longer having to rely on Kate flashing her knickers in order to get Messrs Carruthers, Mattock and Refoy to do some work.
Nineteen...Nineteen...Six Five
BzaInSpace
Site Admin

Post by BzaInSpace »

😂

That’s awesome
O P 8
SpaceLine
Known user

Post by SpaceLine »

If they play Pure Phase in full then I will finally get to hear Slide Song live and I can die a happy man.
heisenberg
Known user

Post by heisenberg »

Can't wait for the new album next year. And by next year I hope he means that it's coming out on January 1st :lol:

And Jason, if you do perform Pure Phase live please bring it to Glasgow!
stegraham
Known user

Post by stegraham »

Great news re: new album. I hope he does tour the new record unlike ANH where he only played one English gig - in London. Is that right, or is my memory playing tricks?
mkb
Known user

Post by mkb »

stegraham wrote: Fri Sep 10, 2021 3:55 pm I hope he does tour the new record unlike ANH where he only played one English gig - in London. Is that right, or is my memory playing tricks?
I think that's right in terms of standalone gigs (there were two or three festivals too)
Jasonsmith
Known user

Post by Jasonsmith »

stegraham wrote: Fri Sep 10, 2021 3:55 pm Great news re: new album. I hope he does tour the new record unlike ANH where he only played one English gig - in London. Is that right, or is my memory playing tricks?
ANH was toured extensively in the US and Europe https://www.setlist.fm/setlists/spiritu ... tml?page=5

I was at 4 ANH "album" shows, in Amsterdam, Paris, Angers, and Nox Orae (check out the video :-) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Bd7IKGtKwE)

Maybe you're thinking of SHSL? As far as I know, that was only played in full twice, in Edinburgh and London...
Ian
Known user

Post by Ian »

Jasonsmith wrote: Mon Sep 13, 2021 7:59 am
stegraham wrote: Fri Sep 10, 2021 3:55 pm Great news re: new album. I hope he does tour the new record unlike ANH where he only played one English gig - in London. Is that right, or is my memory playing tricks?
ANH was toured extensively in the US and Europe https://www.setlist.fm/setlists/spiritu ... tml?page=5

I was at 4 ANH "album" shows, in Amsterdam, Paris, Angers, and Nox Orae (check out the video :-) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Bd7IKGtKwE)
Only one UK gig though. The London one was too tricky for me to get to, but I didn't worry too much, fully expecting a tour, even a short one, to follow. But no!
I have a passion sweet Lord...
http://www.spacemen3.co.uk
BzaInSpace
Site Admin

Post by BzaInSpace »

They played Glasgow Old Fruitmarket after touring the US. That was an incredible show…
O P 8
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

I'd definitely be curious for someone to ask Jason why there was so little UK touring for the last record. Its out of character for them.
Also, if what Jason says in this interview is true, and he's never received a royalty from the records, then touring must be how the band make their income
SpEnCeR1
Known user

Post by SpEnCeR1 »

angelsighs wrote: Mon Sep 13, 2021 9:54 am I'd definitely be curious for someone to ask Jason why there was so little UK touring for the last record. Its out of character for them.
Also, if what Jason says in this interview is true, and he's never received a royalty from the records, then touring must be how the band make their income
pretty sure he's also stated that he always makes a loss from gigging too which explains lack of touring
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

Wow okay, in which case I don't know how he makes ends meet, he lives in one of the most expensive cities on Earth. Wouldnt begrudge the band licensing songs for movies or adverts tbh, whatever it takes to keep going these days isn't it.
Maybe the big dates with the orchestras and stuff lose money, but surely the standard tour dates must at least break even? I dunno.
He should do a proper movie soundtrack, that's a good way to keep the coffers going and can work at home for a lot of it.
stegraham
Known user

Post by stegraham »

I thought that busker in town looked familiar! I'll throw in a couple of quid next time, rather than the usual 50p!
sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

SpEnCeR1 wrote: Mon Sep 13, 2021 10:01 am pretty sure he's also stated that he always makes a loss from gigging too which explains lack of touring
Hmm...I don't think that's right.
angelsighs wrote: Mon Sep 13, 2021 8:51 pm Maybe the big dates with the orchestras and stuff lose money, but surely the standard tour dates must at least break even? I dunno.
^^This is how i understand it.
Nineteen...Nineteen...Six Five
Spiby
Known user

Post by Spiby »

I would've thought standard tour dates must make money. I was also fully expecting a UK tour after the Apollo show, but at the last minute decided I'd go to the Apollo anyway. So glad I did. And frustrated to see that North America then got a full tour. Fingers crossed for a new album and supporting tour some time next year.