Pat Fish R.I.P.

For new sounds, old sounds and favourite sound discussion...

Moderators: sunny, BzaInSpace, runcible, spzretent

olan
Known user

Pat Fish R.I.P.

Post by olan »

I've just seen a post from Mark Refoy on FB saying that Pat Fish passed away at home this afternoon. It was described elsewhere as 'suddenly but peacefully'. What a legacy of music Pat left behind. His living room concerts via Facebook over the various lockdowns were great. Really quite shocked at this news as he was by no means an elderly man.

Vale Pat.
runcible
Site Admin

Re: Pat Fish R.I.P.

Post by runcible »

I heard about this a little earlier. It's genuinely tragic news and has knocked me sideways.

I never met Pat in person although Ian and I did some Zoom chats with him for the podcast. The last one we did was just last Thursday so I feel kind of shell shocked this evening. Pat was so sweet in those chats and after the last one Ian and I remarked that he seemed happy to just keep on talking about music and life in general after we finished recording the interview with him. His friendliness and catchy giggles will be happy memories for me.

He's going to be seriously missed. One of the major Spacemen influences and someone everyone to do with the band respected as much as anyone. RIP Pat. One of the greats.
Ian
Known user

Post by Ian »

As Mark says, he and I were only talking to Pat last week. And yes, he seemed quite happy to go on and on after we'd finished with the podcast stuff, bringing up all sorts of topics. I cut it short in the end, worried as I always tend to be that we were imposing on the time of someone who had better things to do. Didn't expect to be regretting that so much, so soon.

I confessed to Pat recently that I was shamefully ignorant of his music, and asked where he recommened I start. His suggestion was Cult Of The Basement, so check it out if you don't already know it.
I have a passion sweet Lord...
http://www.spacemen3.co.uk
ro
Known user

Post by ro »

wow.
the jazz butcher will always mean so much to me.
and to this forum, and the reasons it’s here.
i’m so thankful you guys got to spend time together, especially so recently.
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

Cult of the Basement is indeed an excellent album. We played it and raised a glass of wine to Pat this evening. Spacemen fans will be very interested in 'Fertiliser'. I wonder which came first?
Laz69
Known user

Post by Laz69 »

Have been a fan since those early days on Creation, before i went back and tried to soak all all The Jazz butcher stuff that came before (and after). His S3 connection seemed to make him essential and his music IS a revelation. Quirky, funny, beautiful and genuine.

A wonderful musician and songwriter. I've said elsewhere, i met him once after coming down to see Slipstream at the Labour Club. We ended up in a pub after the gig and i spoke to him. He asked me where i was from and we ended up having a chat about The BMX Bandits and Teenage Fanclub. He seemed to have all the time in the world for a chat and was just a pleasure to talk to. Fond memories.

I'm gonna stick on a bunch of their albums today, but this one is for Pat... :cry:

clewsr
Known user

Post by clewsr »

Really rubbish news to wake up to. So Sorry so hear this. The Last of the Gentlemen Adventurers
Starfish
Known user

Post by Starfish »

Very sad news. A wonderful songwriter, whose presence in the early days of Spacemen 3 was so important to their development (and, so, to what came after).

I'm pretty sure he's the reference in Sonic Boom/Spectrum's "Angel" - Hey Pat, what could I do but care?
Laz69
Known user

Post by Laz69 »

And chief "joint roller" for Dreamweapon :lol: An integral part of their story.
Spiby
Known user

Post by Spiby »

The man was a legend, in the true sense of the word