"Everything was beautiful" - New Spiritualized® Album 2022

For new sounds, old sounds and favourite sound discussion...

Moderators: sunny, BzaInSpace, runcible, spzretent

Greeny
Known user

Re: "Everything was beautiful" - New Spiritualized® Album 2022

Post by Greeny »

Given its price, I have to say it's pretty mean not to include a download code with the box set vinyl.

Not had a chance to listen to it yet, but after reading reports it's already had a pre-emptive run through my ultrasonic cleaner! Fingers crossed it's one of the "good ones"
mkb
Known user

Post by mkb »

I think download codes are rarer these days because they're not actually used that often. I like buying from Bandcamp because then you get a download automatically as part of the purchase. If you bought from the official store and you contacted them I'd expect there's a good chance they'd just send you a download link/code.
Billy_Whizz
Known user

Post by Billy_Whizz »

Would anyone who has the box set (and has actually properly opened/unpacked it!) be so kind as to post some photos so I can see what it all looks like? Or does anyone have a link to where this is properly shown online? I haven't been able to get a decent look at it yet. I had to scrap any plans to pre-order thanks to money issues caused by our delightful Tory government, but as it's my birthday this week I might treat myself rather than just going for the regular version...
REVOLUTION * PURITY * LOVE * SUICIDE * ACCURACY
angel-sighs
Known user

Post by angel-sighs »

Went for CD version myself (always guaranteed a good pressing that way ;)
Man, the credits alone are always a good thing to geek out on in Spiritualized albums. All the various people J thanks and the contributors.
mc
Known user

Post by mc »

Not gonna lie, precisely because of the way the reissue campaign turned out, I've only bought a download of EWB so far. That makes me feel so sad, but at the same time, I've wasted far too much money on overpriced useless plastic recently to risk another splurge :(
sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

Billy_Whizz wrote: Sun Apr 24, 2022 3:49 pm Would anyone who has the box set (and has actually properly opened/unpacked it!) be so kind as to post some photos so I can see what it all looks like? Or does anyone have a link to where this is properly shown online? I haven't been able to get a decent look at it yet. I had to scrap any plans to pre-order thanks to money issues caused by our delightful Tory government, but as it's my birthday this week I might treat myself rather than just going for the regular version...
Box set is long sold out i'm afraid.
Nineteen...Nineteen...Six Five
nghst
Known user

Post by nghst »

After listening to the album for a couple months I got my cd, lp, and shirt in the mail. I was surprised at how much of the lyrics I missed before reading the cd booklet. A lot of it was quite deep and some of it went over my head I'd have to admit. My favorite bit was from I'm Coming Home Again: And you cannot be bound if you cannot be free. Jason certainly puts out many thought provoking idea in his music!
Vancouver
Known user

Post by Vancouver »

Been a massive fan of SPZ since 1998 and I am so happy to say that this is my favourite record since Ladies and Gentleman.
Spiby
Known user

Post by Spiby »

angel-sighs wrote: Sun Apr 24, 2022 4:59 pm Went for CD version myself (always guaranteed a good pressing that way ;)
Man, the credits alone are always a good thing to geek out on in Spiritualized albums. All the various people J thanks and the contributors.
Yep, went for the CD too for the same reason. The braille on the cover was a nice touch - does the vinyl packaging have braille too?
Greeny
Known user

Post by Greeny »

So, is anybody going to press out and make their card boxes from the special edition?

Must say I'm tempted!
Laz69
Known user

Post by Laz69 »

Billy_Whizz wrote: Sun Apr 24, 2022 3:49 pm Would anyone who has the box set (and has actually properly opened/unpacked it!) be so kind as to post some photos so I can see what it all looks like? Or does anyone have a link to where this is properly shown online? I haven't been able to get a decent look at it yet. I had to scrap any plans to pre-order thanks to money issues caused by our delightful Tory government, but as it's my birthday this week I might treat myself rather than just going for the regular version...
Here's some i took...
ScreenHunter_2754 Apr. 25 13.14.jpg
ScreenHunter_2754 Apr. 25 13.14.jpg (87.95 KiB) Viewed 129749 times
ScreenHunter_2755 Apr. 25 13.14.jpg
ScreenHunter_2755 Apr. 25 13.14.jpg (92.14 KiB) Viewed 129749 times
ScreenHunter_2756 Apr. 25 13.14.jpg
ScreenHunter_2756 Apr. 25 13.14.jpg (84.01 KiB) Viewed 129749 times
ScreenHunter_2757 Apr. 25 13.14.jpg
ScreenHunter_2757 Apr. 25 13.14.jpg (69.55 KiB) Viewed 129749 times
ScreenHunter_2758 Apr. 25 13.14.jpg
ScreenHunter_2758 Apr. 25 13.14.jpg (30.89 KiB) Viewed 129749 times
Laz69
Known user

Post by Laz69 »

Spiby wrote: Mon Apr 25, 2022 11:39 am The braille on the cover was a nice touch - does the vinyl packaging have braille too?
Album sleeve has it, as does all of the individual pop-out boxes. I'm guessing each is the album/song name.
good times
Known user

Post by good times »

nghst wrote: Mon Apr 25, 2022 3:31 am After listening to the album for a couple months I got my cd, lp, and shirt in the mail. I was surprised at how much of the lyrics I missed before reading the cd booklet. A lot of it was quite deep and some of it went over my head I'd have to admit. My favorite bit was from I'm Coming Home Again: And you cannot be bound if you cannot be free. Jason certainly puts out many thought provoking idea in his music!
Does the booklet have ending lyrics of always together with you? Trying to figure them out for weeks but it’s so hard thanks to the many layers at the finale of the song. It’s driving me nuts.
angel-sighs
Known user

Post by angel-sighs »

Spiby wrote: Mon Apr 25, 2022 11:39 am
angel-sighs wrote: Sun Apr 24, 2022 4:59 pm Went for CD version myself (always guaranteed a good pressing that way ;)
Yep, went for the CD too for the same reason. The braille on the cover was a nice touch - does the vinyl packaging have braille too?
Yeah i also thought the braille was a good touch. Also like the gold on the little cd sleeve inside
Billy_Whizz
Known user

Post by Billy_Whizz »

sunray wrote: Sun Apr 24, 2022 10:07 pm
Box set is long sold out i'm afraid.
Yeah I know I'd have to seek out a copy somehow and probably pay a lot more than retail, but I'd still like to see it ;)
Billy_Whizz
Known user

Post by Billy_Whizz »

Laz69 wrote: Mon Apr 25, 2022 1:18 pm
Here's some i took...
ScreenHunter_2754 Apr. 25 13.14.jpg
ScreenHunter_2755 Apr. 25 13.14.jpg
ScreenHunter_2756 Apr. 25 13.14.jpg
ScreenHunter_2757 Apr. 25 13.14.jpg
ScreenHunter_2758 Apr. 25 13.14.jpg
And there we go! Thanks for uploading! It looks amazing!
ro
Known user

Post by ro »

good times wrote: Mon Apr 25, 2022 1:41 pm Does the booklet have ending lyrics of always together with you? Trying to figure them out for weeks but it’s so hard thanks to the many layers at the finale of the song. It’s driving me nuts.
296CE902-A617-4A3A-89F4-A9215A5A35F6.jpeg
296CE902-A617-4A3A-89F4-A9215A5A35F6.jpeg (413.07 KiB) Viewed 129722 times
heisenberg
Known user

Post by heisenberg »

I wonder who Catie is. The same Catie listed in the thanks?

Also, the album is dedicated to the memory of Rita Radley. The same Rita thanked on the L&G sleeve?
Sim
Known user

Post by Sim »

heisenberg wrote: Mon Apr 25, 2022 2:46 pm Also be, the album is dedicated to the memory of Rita Radley. The same Rita thanked on the L&G sleeve?
Kate’s mum? I think he’s mentioned still being close to Kate’s parents in an interview.

Post by Sim »

angel-sighs wrote: Sun Apr 24, 2022 4:59 pm Man, the credits alone are always a good thing to geek out on in Spiritualized albums. All the various people J thanks and the contributors.
I like the retrospective credit for ukulele on Perfect Miracle. Not sure how that will get entered on Discogs!

Post by heisenberg »

Sim wrote: Mon Apr 25, 2022 3:03 pm

I like the retrospective credit for ukulele on Perfect Miracle. Not sure how that will get entered on Discogs!
Probably still less complicated than trying to navigate their new seller postage system! :lol:
heisenberg
Known user

Post by heisenberg »

Sim wrote: Mon Apr 25, 2022 2:57 pm
heisenberg wrote: Mon Apr 25, 2022 2:46 pm Also be, the album is dedicated to the memory of Rita Radley. The same Rita thanked on the L&G sleeve?
Kate’s mum? I think he’s mentioned still being close to Kate’s parents in an interview.
Ah of course. That is sad.
angel-sighs
Known user

Post by angel-sighs »

Sim wrote: Mon Apr 25, 2022 3:03 pm
angel-sighs wrote: Sun Apr 24, 2022 4:59 pm Man, the credits alone are always a good thing to geek out on in Spiritualized albums. All the various people J thanks and the contributors.
Yup maybe that got missed last time!

Also seems that Kid Millions and Brad Traux (both part of the US version of the lineup at one stage?) were the rhythm section on the original recording of the D Song. Maybe a good amount of the original demo is still there.

Anyone got any idea about the thank you simply to "youtube D song"?
sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

angel-sighs wrote: Mon Apr 25, 2022 3:46 pm Anyone got any idea about the thank you simply to "youtube D song"?
He mentioned in an interview that A Song was based on a youtube clip from Sydney of the same song. Maybe he meant D Song instead/too?
Sim
Known user

Post by Sim »

sunray wrote: Mon Apr 25, 2022 4:05 pm
angel-sighs wrote: Mon Apr 25, 2022 3:46 pm Anyone got any idea about the thank you simply to "youtube D song"?
He mentioned in an interview that A Song was based on a youtube clip from Sydney of the same song. Maybe he meant D Song instead/too?
The thank you to Chris Barrus is for that upload of D Song.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mnGNc8bA_bo

Post by angel-sighs »

Ah right, cool. There was a stray comma which made me think they were separate thanks.
jr_pharmacist
Known user

Post by jr_pharmacist »

This is an incredible record, start to finish, So many layers. Spectacular.

Also, make sure to scan the QR code on the pill package...just brilliant.

JR
Greeny
Known user

Post by Greeny »

Well, as I half expected the pressing of my vinyl copy is a total disaster. Perhaps the worst new vinyl record I've ever received, even worse than Pure Phase reissue.

Sigh. Back to Kontraband it'll have to go. It's totally unacceptable.
purespace
Known user

Post by purespace »

Greeny wrote: Mon Apr 25, 2022 7:40 pm Well, as I half expected the pressing of my vinyl copy is a total disaster. Perhaps the worst new vinyl record I've ever received, even worse than Pure Phase reissue.

I'm starting to worry a bit about Spiritualized vinyl. My stereo system has been dismantled for over a year and haven't been able to play any records for a while. Hope I'm not sitting on a pile of Spiritualized poo as I purchased all the recent reissues :shock:
I think I feel it coming on
heisenberg
Known user

Post by heisenberg »

Mine finally turned up today but I've yet to play it. I'm off Wednesday so I am going to dive in tomorrow night- Very excited :D

I got one of the t-shirts too and the print on it is really high quality.

Did anyone get any of the 'whilst stock last' badges? If so, what are they like?

Despite the delay which was beyond their control, I think they've knocked it out of the park with this release. The beautiful artwork, promos, strong merch, the use of the barcode on the medicine box, gigs. And that's before you even get to the record itself which seems to be getting lots of love from press and listeners alike. Good job!
purespace
Known user

Post by purespace »

jr_pharmacist wrote: Mon Apr 25, 2022 7:30 pm This is an incredible record, start to finish, So many layers. Spectacular.

JR
I've not yet opened the box set. What does the QR code do?
niamhm
Known user

Post by niamhm »

Ordered from a shop I don`t normally use, no sign of shipping email so far, get in touch and sorry we don`t have the deluxe version, `would you care to wait a few weeks till we try an get one one?` or would you like to change your order, have a credit note or have a refund? Ffs!!
Yeah I ordered it last November because I wanted any old version if you can get it or just give me my money back, whatever. Useless c#*ts
thesevensteves
Known user

Post by thesevensteves »

purespace wrote: Mon Apr 25, 2022 11:07 pm
jr_pharmacist wrote: Mon Apr 25, 2022 7:30 pm This is an incredible record, start to finish, So many layers. Spectacular.

JR
Takes you to the I'm Coming Home Video
purespace
Known user

Post by purespace »

thesevensteves wrote: Tue Apr 26, 2022 11:57 pm
purespace wrote: Mon Apr 25, 2022 11:07 pm

JR
Takes you to the I'm Coming Home Video
Thank you!
adamhx
Known user

Post by adamhx »

Still no sign of my Spanish version vinyl which I ordered from the main store. :(

Have been listening to the album though and I like it. Not keen on Crazy and Im Coming Home Again doesn't really go anywhere for me, but the rest of the tunes are great. Particularly into A song, D Song and Mainline Song.
Shinesalight
Known user

Post by Shinesalight »

Record arrived with me on Friday (standard black vinyl) and, thankfully, my copy sounds great. A lot of people are saying this is the best Spiritualized album since L&G but I'm a big fan of Let It Come Down and don't think it quite reaches those heights. Early days though but it certainly is a great release and got me even more looking forward to Saturday's gig in Brighton even if the current set list doesn't quite do it for me (I am prepared to persuaded though).

I agree with others on here that the clear stand out tracks are Mainline Song, Always Together With You and The A Song. And, I am also one of those that could do without Crazy but Jason has been going in the ballad direction for some time now so I guess tracks such as that are par for the course. All in all though, I must admit I really am enjoying it.
www.dronerockrecords.com
The Home of Drone
rapideye
Known user

Post by rapideye »

Shines - I'm slightly consoled by the fact that your black vinyl sounds ok. I didn't buy the Ltd edition as I'd been put off by the re-release fiasco and the post suggesting that the black vinyl needed to be returned, typically made me think that was the wrong choice. Still haven't got a copy yet and probably won't get one before Cambridge on Friday. Maybe they'll be some sold at the venue? I'm not sure what to expect from the set-list at all. I have a friend going who is only aware of them from LAGWAFIS. I'm not sure it will be up his street. I'll enjoy it though. The more whig-outs the better.
niamhm
Known user

Post by niamhm »

Shinesalight wrote: Wed Apr 27, 2022 8:26 pm Record arrived with me on Friday (standard black vinyl) and, thankfully, my copy sounds great. A lot of people are saying this is the best Spiritualized album since L&G but I'm a big fan of Let It Come Down and don't think it quite reaches those heights. Early days though but it certainly is a great release and got me even more looking forward to Saturday's gig in Brighton even if the current set list doesn't quite do it for me (I am prepared to persuaded though).

I agree with others on here that the clear stand out tracks are Mainline Song, Always Together With You and The A Song. And, I am also one of those that could do without Crazy but Jason has been going in the ballad direction for some time now so I guess tracks such as that are par for the course. All in all though, I must admit I really am enjoying it.
Have to say I`m enjoying Crazy, makes more sense in the context of the album rather than a taster/single, as for the `best since L&G` lot, they can get bent, its barely been out a week so how the f#*k do they know? Spiritualized has had plenty great albums since then and I don`t need some Johnny come lately telling me EWB is way better than ANH or whatever when they`ve at best gave Spiritualized last few albums a cursory listen, excuse my ire but that shit grinds my gears, yeah I like Crazy :D
veiko
Known user

Post by veiko »

My package is in the transit, in UK, to Eastern Europe. All the sonics, the bewilderments.. all this.. waiting ahead. No, i still have not listened to the leak and even if the album is out now.
I can follow the route of my package. Getting closer. No, i do not need any preview tracks. I will listen to it when the package arrives and i will put my needle down to my .... hmmm... i guess i will split the atom and go for the box-set vinyl version first. Then the black vinyl. Then the cd. Rest of the dear world - how am i able to do all this? Well, i guess you need to be a fan.

Edit: package arrived.
Last edited by veiko on Fri Apr 29, 2022 10:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
BzaInSpace
Site Admin

Post by BzaInSpace »

:shock:

Veiko just play some of the released tracks on YT at HQ. I’ll happily send a HQ digital rip of the official CD. No need to go through that agony mate.

This is not the Penthouse forum. Or is it?
O P 8
thesevensteves
Known user

Post by thesevensteves »

BzaInSpace wrote: Thu Apr 28, 2022 5:20 pm This is not the Penthouse forum. Or is it?
:lol:

Has anyone in the states, that might have received an unsatisfactory box set, had any luck contacting Blixt Merch? I've tried contacting them a couple times this past week with nary a response. My boxset arrived with the gold foil inner sleeve in tatters--chunks of foil scratched off down to the paper.

When Crazy was released as the lead single I too wasn't too fond of it. Like any good sycophant I wanted it to be what I had imagined a new SPZ single would be .... BUT hearing it in the context of the album I now have a great appreciation for it and see it as a brilliant close to the A side ... the party begins when the platter gets flipped.
angel-sighs
Known user

Post by angel-sighs »

Its a thumbs up from me after a few listens. Way too early to see how it stacks up (or even if its better than ANH) , you need to live with an album for those sorts of decisions.
Echoes of lots of the earlier work, including Let It Come Down which is no bad thing for me.
I concur with people's enthusiasm for the Mainline Song, but dang I wish it didn't fade out so quick. Even the vocals only come in near the end.
I'm Coming Home Again.. superb. Yeah you could say it doesn't go anywhere but i like that its just a groove you can get lost in.
More thoughts after more listens..
Dreamweapon
Known user

Post by Dreamweapon »

Straight in at No. 5 on the album charts - result!
heisenberg
Known user

Post by heisenberg »

And no. 3 in the Scottish Album charts! :D
veiko
Known user

Post by veiko »

No more sad cowboy ballads. This album's got ferocious production. Myriad of sounds and wonders going up and down, left and right. Deepest deep ever lyrics by Jase. Bass has some free moments, rest of the band is having a tea, bass is pulling some strings behind their back, specially on the B side of the vinyl. The details...... the overall loveliness of it all, it's just... uh, feels so good that Jase has touched us all again. THE embrace of it is so wonderful. His vocals are on this album so clean, i need to point it out. No extra drama in his voice, to crucifying tremolo in his vocals, no pain, just pure good vocals.
Billy_Whizz
Known user

Post by Billy_Whizz »

veiko wrote: Sat Apr 30, 2022 3:35 am No more sad cowboy ballads.
Did your pressing come without Crazy? :lol:
Vancouver
Known user

Post by Vancouver »

lol
ro
Known user

Post by ro »

veiko wrote: Sat Apr 30, 2022 3:35 am THE embrace of it is so wonderful.
it surely is!
veiko wrote: Sat Apr 30, 2022 3:35 am His vocals are on this album so clean, i need to point it out. No extra drama in his voice, to crucifying tremolo in his vocals, no pain, just pure good vocals.
thank you for mentioning this. i knew there was a newish feeling there but couldn’t place it until you put it into words. now i’m listening with this in mind

nice also that we have a “keep your voices clear” to go along with it
Dreamweapon
Known user

Post by Dreamweapon »

purespace wrote: Mon Apr 25, 2022 9:23 pm
Greeny wrote: Mon Apr 25, 2022 7:40 pm Well, as I half expected the pressing of my vinyl copy is a total disaster. Perhaps the worst new vinyl record I've ever received, even worse than Pure Phase reissue.

I'm starting to worry a bit about Spiritualized vinyl. My stereo system has been dismantled for over a year and haven't been able to play any records for a while. Hope I'm not sitting on a pile of Spiritualized poo as I purchased all the recent reissues :shock:
I'm in the same position as you. I have the white, silver, black and pink vinyls of And Nothing Hurt as well as the box. With the reissues I got the black and white versions of LGM, the black and GITD of Pure Phase, the blue of LAGWAFIS (couldn't find a black) and the black and ivory of LICD. I've also bought the black, Japanese, pink and box set versions of EWB (and the CD). They're all still sealed - I have no idea therefore of whether I have a duff copy of anything. I only have my wife's VERY old Toshiba stacker system, but am hoping to get a decent set up soon of turntable, amp and speakers. I've only been listening to mp3 versions. REALLY concerned after the reissue fiasco everyone's mentioned. Was also hoping it would be sorted by now as the problems seem to have been raised to the powers that be from what people say on here. Was Jason aware of the issues.

I too was disappointed that my reissue box set wasn't numbered. The Kontraband shipping costs also seem quite high...

Anyway looking forward to Manchester next weekend....
Greeny
Known user

Post by Greeny »

I must be the unluckiest guy around. Got a replacement pink vinyl from Kontraband... and it has a big gouge out of the edge of side 2, making an inevitably horrendous pop throughout the start of the first track.

Jesus the quality control at that plant... I'm seriously thinking about borrowing a million and building a high quality pressing plant myself!!

Sending the whole thing back for a refund now. I'm done.
mc
Known user

Post by mc »

Not gonna lie, the reissue program fiasco completely put me off purchasing a physical copy of EWB - I bought a WAV download instead. First impressions are that it's not quite as good as ANH, but it does feel like a grower. Crazy definitely makes more sense in the context of the album; Always Together With You, The Mainline Song and The A Song are highlights so far.
Alex English
Known user

Post by Alex English »

Greeny wrote: Mon May 02, 2022 3:02 pm Jesus the quality control at that plant... I'm seriously thinking about borrowing a million and building a high quality pressing plant myself!!
Speaking of pressing plants
toomilk
Known user

Post by toomilk »

Finally had the chance to do several proper listen through a on my so far fiasco of a UK trip and I must say it’s a great album. J is really leaning into the Neu sound on it. I wasn’t crazy about “Crazy”, but think it works in the context of the album. Hearing A and D songs again takes me back to all of the weird shows I saw about 10 years ago (salt lake city, Santa Cruz, Boise, and Las Vegas :lol: ). I like hearing them without Kid Millions…
adamhx
Known user

Post by adamhx »

This album has been a real grower for me. I must have listened to it 20 times since its release and thankfully I am happy with the vinyl I have too.

I love pretty much the whole thing. As others have said, whilst I hated on Crazy when it came out, it actually makes more sense in its place within the album.

I'd say the only slight anti climax is the final tune which is not as epic as some of the final tracks on other Spiritualized albums. It is just long, repetitive and a bit uninspiring for me. But its a small moan.

I have gone back and listened to all the other Spiritualized albums this week to try to place it and I would say it is the best they've done since LAGWAFIS. For me.....

1. LAGWAFIS
2. LGM
3. PP
4. EWB
5. LICD
6. ANH
7. Songs in A&E
8. SHSL
9. AG
BzaInSpace
Site Admin

Re: "Everything was beautiful" - New Spiritualized® Album 2022r

Post by BzaInSpace »

I think it’s an extraordinary , and yep, beautiful thing.

While I can see it being this absolutely epic double album with ANH… (the box sets certainly look like they are two parts of a whole) I’m glad it arrived pretty (relatively) swiftly after that previous record.

I read in one of the interviews that J felt he would still be working on it if that had happened. Guess we can do our own playlists now.

Some thoughts…

‘Crazy’ definitely works here in the midst of a lot of electric and psychedelic tunes. I still hold that as being amongst the best of the Spiritualized ballads. Nikki and Jason’s voices blend together so well.

When I first heard ‘The Mainline Song/The Lockdown Song’ I pretty much levitated - “that’s the Kenzo Men track!!” I
kinda wish this went on longer though like the 15 min epic it was based on. On the other hand, the mind-splitting part before the vocal finally says “Hush” is something else… and that horn reference to ‘Feel So Sad’ made my week.

‘The A Song (Laid in your arms)’ - fucking hell yes
The US bootlegs from what - nearly a decade ago - had this thing but this is incredible. That triumphant riff with the orchestral strings and horns. The guitar feedback with the glimmers of tremolo. And then…
As studio recordings go - to the live freakouts I chase whenever I can. They slowly tease it out… hit that… and continue as before. And bring it back down. And go to town again. It’s like that legendary Steven Wells review of the the 97 RAH show…

“TVs on but your sick of the pricks” 👏

‘Always Forgetting With You’ - I loved the Spiritualized Mississippi Space Program version already. It got me thru 2015 although that demo still sounds so intense now. And here we are…

I love how it now has the big euphoric Spector style choruses. On this version, the end part surprises me every time I play it loud. The buried vocals are still not prominent. I still can hear “drug garden” (thanks Ro) and “porn star” and lots of other shenanigans.

‘Best Thing You Never Had’ - just simply, an amazing track to drive fast ‘n’ loud with. The lyrics are dark also.

‘Let It Bleed (for Iggy)’ - it’s a love song. Is it really about Iggy? Are those shotgun blasts when the chorus kicks in?

The end part: from 3:00 could go on for a lot, lot longer as far I’m concerned. It’s fucking unreal. Concentrated Spiritualized®

Lots of other stuff to mention but: it’ll have to wait until Glasgow TOMORROW for a further live Mainline 🚀
O P 8
nghst
Known user

Post by nghst »

Here's a great article and interview about the making of EWB. One classic line from Jason was that many artists need help getting from 27 songs down to 12, whereas he needs help getting from 3 songs up to 7. He's got to be one of the most humble people I know. https://www.clashmusic.com/features/in- ... ritualized
ro
Known user

Post by ro »

BzaInSpace wrote: Wed May 04, 2022 8:47 pm ...the mind-splitting part before the vocal finally says “Hush” is something else… and that horn reference to ‘Feel So Sad’ made my week.
...🚀
it’s really sinking in for me how thoughtful and inspired it is to reference your whole body of work in one record

age and experience creates these opportunities to reach back and renew a horn reference from long ago, but with evolved meaning

it’s like reaching back to your younger self to ask, “what can you teach me?”
sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

BzaInSpace wrote: Wed May 04, 2022 8:47 pm When I first heard ‘The Mainline Song/The Lockdown Song’ I pretty much levitated...and that horn reference to ‘Feel So Sad’ made my week.

‘Always Forgetting With You’ - The buried vocals are still not prominent. I still can hear “drug garden” (thanks Ro) and “porn star” and lots of other shenanigans.

‘Let It Bleed (for Iggy)’ - it’s a love song. Is it really about Iggy? Are those shotgun blasts when the chorus kicks in?

The end part: from 3:00 could go on for a lot, lot longer as far I’m concerned. It’s fucking unreal. Concentrated Spiritualized®
I can't hear that Feel So Sad reference at all, any pointers?

The buried lyrics in Always Together... are this:
Just when you thought your life came
In a bag of white
Sucked up a silver tube
Changes your attitude
Stay with your valentine
Catie and Constantine
Just when you thought it right
Mercury's out tonight
Just like a dream come true
Catie's in love with you (If you got a lonely heart too)
Just when you thought it right
Catie is out of sight (If you got a lonely heart too)
Just when you thought your life
Came in a bag of white (If you got a lonely heart too)
Sucked up a silver tube
Changes your attitude (If you got a lonely heart too)

Agree with Let It Bleed, should've gone on for 10 minutes. Also think it should've been the album closer.
sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

ro wrote: Thu May 05, 2022 1:24 pm
BzaInSpace wrote: Wed May 04, 2022 8:47 pm ...the mind-splitting part before the vocal finally says “Hush” is something else… and that horn reference to ‘Feel So Sad’ made my week.
...🚀
it’s really sinking in for me how thoughtful and inspired it is to reference your whole body of work in one record

age and experience creates these opportunities to reach back and renew a horn reference from long ago, but with evolved meaning

it’s like reaching back to your younger self to ask, “what can you teach me?”
I would say the Mary Chain did that with Munki but it was very much a "We're sick of this shit. Goodbye."
ro
Known user

Post by ro »

hah, that’s funny. I should listen to that sometime. I’m only familiar with the first two records and a few hits.
sharmadelica
Known user

Post by sharmadelica »

I’ve loved reading everyone’s takes on EWB. I’m in line with most other people here: I love it. Not in a “it’s Spiritualized, he could burp into a microphone for 45 minutes and I’d say it was good” way. In a genuine, this has all the elements of Spiritualized that I love (especially the epic bits) way. I’m going to the Glasgow show tonight - I can’t deny that I was initially a bit disappointed with the setlist from previous shows (not so much the lack of older songs, but the lack of Always Forgetting and The Mainline Song, which are astonishing), but I’m over it now and looking forward to hearing the amazing songs they will play.

It’s also been nice to see so many positive reviews in the press. A recognition that Jason is not done yet. And I’m also enjoying that others have picked up on various references to his own musical past on EWB. I’m looking forward to putting it on in the car on the way to the show from Edinburgh - play loud ‘n’ drive fast (within speed limits).
Sim
Known user

Post by Sim »

sunray wrote: Thu May 05, 2022 3:05 pm
I can't hear that Feel So Sad reference at all, any pointers?
I think it's the horn that comes in at 1:45 on Mainline Song that's similar to the horns in FSS?

Post by angel-sighs »

Some more thoughts..

Best Thing You Ever Had- is it me or does this have a slight Primal Scream feel? Could imagine Gillespie singing it

Let It Bleed- outro is pure Dion Born To Be With You, surely? No bad thing.

The songs on side 1 are all somehow enhanced by the sequencing and the fact they all sound quite different. He's also doing more interesting things with the arrangements for the ballads. Let It Bleed really benefits from the dynamic shifts and that outro.

I agree with others that Crazy works fine where it sits in the sequence. It's so short it's over before you know it anyway. Would be happy with no more songs like this though.

Mainline Song needs an extended dance remix! It's a prick tease of a song to be honest :D just gets going then fades out

A Song- everything and the kitchen sink works here. That riff driven by horns and stuff rather than guitar. Sometimes when you hear the live version first, the album version is disappointing (see most of SHSL) but this works. The horns have that drive like Come Together.

So happy to have a fine new Spiritualized album to discuss! Now does anyone have an idea who Catie is?
I am Solarflare
Known user

Post by I am Solarflare »

Has everyone who ordered the pink vinyl ( deluxe LP) in the UK received their order? I’m still waiting and no email or texts with any news? ( I ordered back in November) I’ve received the cd
heisenberg
Known user

Post by heisenberg »

There's a Catie thanked in the album credits. Perhaps it's the same person?

My brief thoughts on the album after just under a week of listening-

I agree all the songs work well together and as an album it works - perfect length, doesn't sag anywhere. I didn't listen to Crazy or Mainline Song until I heard the album as a whole and I'm glad for it.

Always Together With You - I listened to this a lot when it came out, reasoning I already knew it to some degree since it originated with the 2014 'demo' version. Although the original is my favourite of the two, I still love this version. How can a song go from sounding so sad to so happy? A fantastic reimagining of the song.

Best Thing You Never Had - I was one of those geeks who was into the version on Youtube back in 2013. Given it was performed by the new 'American' band, I was convinced it would appear on a new album which would be recorded and released quickly within a year or two- Ha!
That main groovy guitar riff is so cool and dirty- reminds me a little of War's Low Rider. I always assumed this song had evolved into 'The Morning After'. It was great to find that I was wrong. love that menacing brass and the lyrical departure (another strong point of this album).

Let it Bleed - love the gentle opening and the verse melody/lyrics. Strings are lovely too.

Crazy - Sounds almost exactly the same as Too Late? Except this is way better - if you are gonna do a song like this, just go the whole way and get beauiful lap steel and a genuine American voice who can sing country to duet with you. I prefer the lyrics to this one too. To the point, unashamed and truthful.

The Mainline Song - What a beaut. The brass riff doesn't put me in mind of Feel So Sad, but rather Call on Me from Safe as Milk, which I ended up listening to this week based on that. Isn't it cool how the old musical mind map kicks in and you before you know it you find yourself playing something you haven't heard in a while? I love the lyrical departure, the mix of electronics and riffing. And yup I too would love a ten minute version too, but in the context of the album this doesn't underwhelm or disappoint. Probably my joint favourite with....

A Song - fucking yas!!! that astounding intro does so much in a short time- sounds a bit Sonic/Spacemen 3 mixed with Pure Phase and the more hidden keys on On The Sunshine. Then it explodes, kicking ass as well as making the best kind of political statement. the attitude in the vocal is astounding too. And the freakout sounds so live - this is what it sounds like on stage when the band play it in real time. After listening to live bootlegs this for years I wondered how they'd handle the recording of this and it 100% lives up to my expectations. Glorious.

I'm Coming Home Again - kinda reminiscent of Won't Get to Heaven to me as opposed to Cop Shoot Cop, which seems to be other people's point of reference. Good way to end the album, and hate to compare it to ANH, but for me it is hard to beat the finality of The Prize and Sail on Through- genuinely thought that would be their last album.

Overall, I think it's a massive win. Lyrical departure, streamline of their larger soundscapes, nice subtle re-introduction of the more electronic aspects and dagnamit some kickass primitive guitar grooves and lovely reverb/tremolo clean stuff. All hangs well and works together. Nice one, guys.
nghst
Known user

Post by nghst »