"Everything was beautiful" - New Spiritualized® Album 2022

For new sounds, old sounds and favourite sound discussion...

Moderators: sunny, BzaInSpace, runcible, spzretent

spacemanrich
Known user

Re: "Everything was beautiful" - New Spiritualized® Album 2022

Post by spacemanrich »

Probably not the plan from the beginning ( omicron ). Jason just working around the problem i.e. - manufacturing problems, omicron cases, etc.

The Cure seems to be doing it right. I have never seen a band announce a tour a year ahead of time. They announced their European Tour for 2022 in the fall / winter in December 2021. Also, imminent the Cure will announce their North American Tour for 2023 in a month or two ... Yes, 2023 :oops:
Dreamweapon
Known user

Post by Dreamweapon »

may not be as dedicated.
[/quote]

Like the pun (unintended?) for the original label there Ian...!
Ian
Known user

Post by Ian »

Dreamweapon wrote: Thu Feb 10, 2022 9:58 am
Ian wrote: Wed Feb 09, 2022 1:09 pm may not be as dedicated.
Like the pun (unintended?) for the original label there Ian...!
It was just chosen as the right word for the point I was making, but it did occur to me while I was posting!
I have a passion sweet Lord...
http://www.spacemen3.co.uk
SpEnCeR1
Known user

Post by SpEnCeR1 »

EWB has really clicked today.

The production/mix doesn't seem so flat and veiled, a bit more holographic maybe but the drums still seem very Joe Meekesque...packing cases recorded down the corridor in a bathroom.

Best Thing You Never Had reminds me a bit of Good Times ep version, I could ride that groove all night. ...and Mainline reminds me of Lay Back In The Sun.
Let It Bleed is gorgeous.

44 mins is respectable album length but it still feels very short so for fun I've cobbled this tracklist together which flows together very nicely if I do say so

Always together with you
I'm your man
On the sunshine
Let It Bleed
Damaged
Best thing you never had
Crazy
Mainline song
The morning after
The prize
A song
Sail on through
dselevan2
Known user

Post by dselevan2 »

sunray wrote: Sun Feb 06, 2022 7:19 pm
Billy_Whizz wrote: Sun Feb 06, 2022 2:18 pm
sunray wrote: Sun Feb 06, 2022 10:38 am Kenzo. (There i said it. My apologies for ruining the surprise but i couldn't contain myself :oops: )
I don't understand what you mean...
A few years ago Jason recorded two tracks for fashion brand Kenzo Paris, one for the men's collection and one for the women's. I assume they were used for catwalk shows. Anyway, both of them were beautiful 16 minute pieces loved by everyone here who heard them.
The men's one has surfaced, in part, in The Mainline Song.

Men: https://soundcloud.com/kenzoparis/kenzo ... son-pierce
Women: https://soundcloud.com/kenzoparis/kenzo ... son-pierce
Damn the women’s one is so good, classic, how do I get that on vinyl ?
sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

A week later and after the initial gut response i'm still digging it.

I've also revisited ANH for the first time in a couple of years to see how they compare. I can understand why a double was initially mooted but i'm glad he didn't release it that way. Why? Well if he had i would have found myself skipping a number of tracks and it would have been another frustrating Spiritualized album for me personally. At 48 and 44 minutes respectively i don't feel the need to skip anything. 92 minutes and i'd have been thinking 'this would be a great album if he'd cut out 5 or 6 songs'.

Also, i'm not sure it would actually have worked as there are a number of similarities bewteen some songs imo:
Best Thing You Never Had (D Song)]: When i heard this on the boots years ago i thought it sounded like JJ Cale and i stick by that. Bit more raucous yet it still has that kind of vibe. But it is also pretty similar to The Morning After; the riff and use of horns for the last few minutes.

Let It Bleed (Song For Iggy): When i first heard it i thought this is what I'm Your Man should've been but didn't comment as i wanted to check back and be sure. To my ears the template is only slightly varied between the two. Let It Bleed wins out though. A few seconds before each chorus i keep expecting him to intone "Let it flow.." (around the 57 second mark is the first instance). I wish this was the album closer as it is utterly magnificent.

The A Song (Laid In Your Arms): He really could have released this as a single with On The Sunshine on the flip. The keyboard sound is identical and the main melody/riff are not too dissimilar at all. I still find myself singing "It's 2.35 in the afternoon" at the start! Then i notice there's a line that goes "Clock on the wall says a quarter to six". If i was a deep thinker i'd say it's a nod back to his earliest Spacemen 3 recordings, but i'm not so i won't.

As for the rest of the album?
Always Forgetting With You: Sounds like his whole career rolled into one song. In a good way.
Crazy: I'll probably never like as it's just too sweet for what my idea of a Country song should be (sparse, jaded, raggged and fucked i guess).
The Mainline Song: Wonderful. Uplifting, spacey and a Big City vibe towards the end.
I'm Coming Home Again: It's been compared to Cop Shoot Cop but it lacks the darkness of that tune. This has a real cold feel to me. Not sure if i'll ever truly be on board with it but i don't dislike it.

Overall, i'm standing by my initial reaction of best since L&G but i'm sure plenty of you will disagree. Remember how you felt when hearing Hey Jane. Heading For The Top Now, Get What You Deserve and I Am What I Am for the first time? That feeling of 'Wow, he can still do these rockers when he wants'? It's pretty much a whole album of that.
I just find it extremely consistent and the lp length contributes to that. Nothing outstays its welcome. Plus, i think the production is better than ANH, or maybe it's the song arrangements, but it has a more spacious sound to it where the songs seem to have a bit more room to breathe.
Nineteen...Nineteen...Six Five
Billy_Whizz
Known user

Post by Billy_Whizz »

I was thinking that whenever I hear A Song now I'll get 2.35 in my head! But thankfully I don't. I can see the comparison though, but it doesn't quite flow for me. So I doubt it was a nod back to the S3 song, but I'm also not a deep thinker, so who knows.

I agree with a lot of what you've said though. It shouldn't have been 2 albums, it would be way to long. Although L&G goes on for a million years... I've always thought that was perhaps overlong, but what do you trim? Cop Shoot Cop is the great divider, although clearly deserves a release. Could Broken Heart have been the bleak, orchestral, forlorn, dying song to end an odyssey of heartbreak?

For me I'm Coming Home Again feels like this album's Cop Shoot Cop. I like it but it's not the highlight. It's a little out of step for me, even more so than Crazy, but with the album being shorter it works. I think Best Thing You Never Had and Morning After could exist on the same album but yes, there are similarities.

Totally agree about the title track and Let It Bleed - and it's way better than I'm You Man which is a song I've never been convinced by. that would be my piss break song... and would probably give me time to buy and sink a couple of pints too.

These comparisons between The Mainline Song and Big City - if Mainline didn't have the word 'city' in it would everyone be thinking this? Sure, Mainline has an almost Krautrock beat and the lyrics repeat towards the end and there is an electronic vibe going on (I get the impression I'm arguing this point badly already) but Big City is more repetitive and less organic and for me the overall vibe is different. Both are f-ing awesome either way.

On another note... has anyone else compared the guitar on The A Song to some of Brian May's tracks on Queen II? Especially with that organ at the start. In fact there's one early Queen track that it sounds very similar to I just can't think what. I'll remember it when I wake up. Well, one of the reviews did say they'd gone full prog at points...

Enough ramblings from the drunk guy... I'll get me coat...
REVOLUTION * PURITY * LOVE * SUICIDE * ACCURACY
sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

Billy_Whizz wrote: Sun Feb 13, 2022 3:49 pm I was thinking that whenever I hear A Song now I'll get 2.35 in my head! But thankfully I don't. I can see the comparison though, but it doesn't quite flow for me. So I doubt it was a nod back to the S3 song, but I'm also not a deep thinker, so who knows.

I agree with a lot of what you've said though. It shouldn't have been 2 albums, it would be way to long. Although L&G goes on for a million years... I've always thought that was perhaps overlong, but what do you trim? Cop Shoot Cop is the great divider, although clearly deserves a release. Could Broken Heart have been the bleak, orchestral, forlorn, dying song to end an odyssey of heartbreak?

For me I'm Coming Home Again feels like this album's Cop Shoot Cop. I like it but it's not the highlight. It's a little out of step for me, even more so than Crazy, but with the album being shorter it works. I think Best Thing You Never Had and Morning After could exist on the same album but yes, there are similarities.

Totally agree about the title track and Let It Bleed - and it's way better than I'm You Man which is a song I've never been convinced by. that would be my piss break song... and would probably give me time to buy and sink a couple of pints too.

These comparisons between The Mainline Song and Big City - if Mainline didn't have the word 'city' in it would everyone be thinking this? Sure, Mainline has an almost Krautrock beat and the lyrics repeat towards the end and there is an electronic vibe going on (I get the impression I'm arguing this point badly already) but Big City is more repetitive and less organic and for me the overall vibe is different. Both are f-ing awesome either way.

On another note... has anyone else compared the guitar on The A Song to some of Brian May's tracks on Queen II? Especially with that organ at the start. In fact there's one early Queen track that it sounds very similar to I just can't think what. I'll remember it when I wake up. Well, one of the reviews did say they'd gone full prog at points...

Enough ramblings from the drunk guy... I'll get me coat...
I'll reply to some of the points from the top down;
I don't think A Song is a nod back to 2.35 at all (just a little joke) and it's only really the first line that the melody fits. Like you say it doesn't quite flow but that opening line does get me every time. BTW, you're a deeper thinker than me 'cos i read your blog review and that whole thing about the 'Always Together...' video and the pill packet i never would've thought of in a million years! Good write up overall too.

As for L&G and what do you trim? I'd happily drop No God Only Religion, Cool Waves and trim about 4 minutes off Broken Heart. A good chunk at the start and then again once the vocals have stopped. I've always disliked that long instrumental passage that does nothing. It's just boring to me.

With the Mainline Song it's got nothing to do with the word 'city' for me. It's just the last 30 or 40 seconds when the final lines are sung (which are a bit Kember-ish to me tbh) where the guitar reminds me of the guitar in Big City. However I do think they share a similar vibe.

I've no idea about the Queen comparison but i'd love to hear it :)
beaker73
Known user

Post by beaker73 »

Billy_Whizz wrote: Sun Feb 13, 2022 3:49 pm On another note... has anyone else compared the guitar on The A Song to some of Brian May's tracks on Queen II? Especially with that organ at the start. In fact there's one early Queen track that it sounds very similar to I just can't think what. I'll remember it when I wake up. Well, one of the reviews did say they'd gone full prog at points...
The organ-melody of A Song reminds me a little bit of Queen's Funny How Love Is, which is on Queen II. But it sounds like the vocal melody of that one. I can imagine something about A Song made that pop up in your mind.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mkBPm8Ps6ME
"I've been drinking all night long, but my hands are steady"
angel-sighs
Known user

Post by angel-sighs »

Ladies and gents is a long album but I honestly don't know what i would cut. Certainly none of the bits identified by Sunray! No God Only Religion is a beast!

It's an album where the sequencing is an absolute masterstroke. Every song in its place. One possible exception- I've always thought that Stay With Me and All of My Thoughts are quite similar songs which perhaps shouldn't be side by side in the tracklisting. Perhaps one could have been a b side.
And maybe .. maybe (and it's only a maybe..) a couple of mins of Cop Shoot Cop noise could have been cut. But it being super ambitious and epic is kind of the point.

All the discussion is further whetting my appetite for the new record, but i have an iron resolve to wait until release day.
I am sure we will all be doing our 'make 1 perfect album out of ANH and EWB' soon enough
veiko
Known user

Post by veiko »

Not going to check out the leak, gonna wait until the album is officially released. Ordered it anyway on many formats. Would be interesting indeed to witness how those gigs will pan out in March having not heard even the preview tracks. Life is full of surprises and hopefully everything will work out for Spiritualized and being a fan for such a long run will keep me satisfied.
BzaInSpace
Site Admin

Post by BzaInSpace »

angel-sighs wrote: Mon Feb 14, 2022 7:06 pm Ladies and gents is a long album but I honestly don't know what i would cut. Certainly none of the bits identified by Sunray! No God Only Religion is a beast!

It's an album where the sequencing is an absolute masterstroke. Every song in its place. One possible exception- I've always thought that Stay With Me and All of My Thoughts are quite similar songs which perhaps shouldn't be side by side in the tracklisting…
I wouldn’t change a single second about that album. I fucking grew up with that, which is as mental as it’s sounds but it’s so true.

Firstly, Sunray is wrong! 🤣

‘No God, only religion’ is incredible. The LP version with the wedding bells in the intro, before it slides into the chaos via a horn-derived bass thing and then it explodes… yep.

‘Cop shoot cop…’ I still think there was something about how Jason recently mentioned the whole travelling across the US - however I’m not truly convinced by that TBH (music like this is almost disappointing when you read about the manner of fact way it was produced): it’s what you hear and take from it that makes the difference… it has a way darker & murkier vibe than a cross contentinal trip but I love it.

For me that’s the real deal, the real Spiritualized.

It’s like broken water, sorta good times, then bad times, lots of luv & height, and then eventually incendiary shit going down with Dr. John playing the keys before it goes into the stratosphere.

I have, at times, wanted that extended bit of noise to go on longer.

No shit. Everytime I’ve heard it loud I always hear something new in there. It’s not just as random as you might think either. There’s also that incredible pure phase thing that happens that if you’re listening to it at the right time with the right centre of gravity will destroy you… if you’re in the right place.

‘Stay with me’ is unbeatable. Motown via Voyager 2.

Gotta go but love these chats and look forward to hearing the new music properly like Veiko! (HELLO MATE!)
O P 8
Jasonsmith
Known user

Post by Jasonsmith »

Two weeks until my first SPZ gig since the Acoustic Mainlines Hackney show in September 2019, longest gap between shows ever, God how I've missed it
sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

BzaInSpace wrote: Tue Feb 15, 2022 11:18 pm Firstly, Sunray is wrong! 🤣
The biggest lie ever posted on this forum.
BzaInSpace
Site Admin

Post by BzaInSpace »

Hahaha!

I like the fact that this very busy thread has ceased for a few days after that bombshell of a statement!

‘Crazy’ is exactly the kind of country blues I would hope for. How damaged do you want? This picks at the heartstrings and it’s way good. Nikki Lane’s harmony just kills it’s IMO:

I mean as far as pure country, you could go for the Junior Kimbrough style but not sure wouldn’t work for this. This is a beautifully recorded song and - hey! - initially I was almost underwhelmed but this is, as I’ve said before, something that I think Kris Kristofferson and many others would have been happy to cover.

Elvis?! Aretha? Waylon? Jessie Colter?

Imagine Kurt Cobain doing that unplugged. 🤯
O P 8
BzaInSpace
Site Admin

Post by BzaInSpace »

Jasonsmith wrote: Wed Feb 16, 2022 8:41 am Two weeks until my first SPZ gig since the Acoustic Mainlines Hackney show in September 2019, longest gap between shows ever, God how I've missed it
I hope it’s awesome. Please report back!
O P 8
sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

BzaInSpace wrote: Sat Feb 19, 2022 10:42 pm Hahaha!

I like the fact that this very busy thread has ceased for a few days after that bombshell of a statement!

‘Crazy’ is exactly the kind of country blues I would hope for. How damaged do you want?
:lol: C'mon drop the bomb!

I can't believe you asked that question Barry. Annihilated of course. Limbs everywhere, blood, gore. Let It Fucking Bleed maaaaan!
Billy_Whizz
Known user

Post by Billy_Whizz »

sunray wrote: Sun Feb 13, 2022 4:53 pm
I've no idea about the Queen comparison but i'd love to hear it :)
beaker73 wrote: Mon Feb 14, 2022 1:03 pm
Billy_Whizz wrote: Sun Feb 13, 2022 3:49 pm On another note... has anyone else compared the guitar on The A Song to some of Brian May's tracks on Queen II? Especially with that organ at the start. In fact there's one early Queen track that it sounds very similar to I just can't think what. I'll remember it when I wake up. Well, one of the reviews did say they'd gone full prog at points...
The organ-melody of A Song reminds me a little bit of Queen's Funny How Love Is, which is on Queen II. But it sounds like the vocal melody of that one. I can imagine something about A Song made that pop up in your mind.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mkBPm8Ps6ME
Sorry, wasn't online much for the last week or so... I'll try to find the tracks I mean. But I think the intro to A Song reminds me of the intro/outro of the album Day At The Races (last minute of Teo Torriatte might give you an idea... ignore the rest of the song, it's just the outro... if I'm right, will check) and the guitar sound possibly reminds me of White Queen from Queen II, again with have to check.

And I actually like Funny How Love Is! Freddie living out his Spectorish fantasy with that one.
Billy_Whizz
Known user

Post by Billy_Whizz »

angel-sighs wrote: Mon Feb 14, 2022 7:06 pm And maybe .. maybe (and it's only a maybe..) a couple of mins of Cop Shoot Cop noise could have been cut. But it being super ambitious and epic is kind of the point.

Like the reference ;)

I think Cop Shoot Cop could easily lose a couple of minutes and be just as effective. I'm not saying it should, but had it been released that way it would've had the same impact.
nghst
Known user

Post by nghst »

With the edition of Everything Was Beautiful, Spiritualized now has 9 studio albums containing 106 songs and if played from start to finish would take 8 hours 32 minutes. :D
Billy_Whizz
Known user

Post by Billy_Whizz »

Just want to say that this album is still growing on me... and I loved it on first listen.

For me perhaps nothing will be as immediate and magical so quickly as Pure Phase was (strange I know, but Pure Phase really did land with an impact on first listen) but Everything Was Beautiful is up there with anything else. And The Mainline Song is a masterPIERCE.

I must stop coming on here after drinking cheap wine from a box... although I'm sure this opinion isn't just the wine talking.
Vancouver
Known user

Post by Vancouver »

Still torn about whether to listen to this before I see them next month or just go in cold (I've heard a couple of the new ones live before). I much prefer knowing the tunes ahead of time. Hate that the release got pushed back.
Billy_Whizz
Known user

Post by Billy_Whizz »

Vancouver wrote: Fri Mar 04, 2022 3:53 am Still torn about whether to listen to this before I see them next month or just go in cold (I've heard a couple of the new ones live before). I much prefer knowing the tunes ahead of time. Hate that the release got pushed back.
Try to wait! You've come this far, don't give up now! :)
BzaInSpace
Site Admin

Post by BzaInSpace »

‘The Mainline Song’ is being released as single/streaming thing on Monday! 🚀
O P 8
Billy_Whizz
Known user

Post by Billy_Whizz »

BzaInSpace wrote: Fri Mar 04, 2022 5:56 pm ‘The Mainline Song’ is being released as single/streaming thing on Monday! 🚀

Excellent news!
Laz69
Known user

Post by Laz69 »

Watched it on YouTube last night. Had to be rail-based video. Anything else wouldn't have been right :lol: still one of my faves from the new album 8)
charles w
Known user

Post by charles w »

People seem to be referring to the new album in a way that suggests they have it. Is this correct? I have two of the vinyl versions on pre-order but don't expect to get them for a while.
mkb
Known user

Post by mkb »

charles w wrote: Sun Mar 06, 2022 1:03 pm People seem to be referring to the new album in a way that suggests they have it. Is this correct? I have two of the vinyl versions on pre-order but don't expect to get them for a while.
The album hasn't been released (delayed until late April), but some people have downloaded leaks.
mh
Known user

Post by mh »

I got vibes of Suicide (the PWF track) from the first half or so of Mainline. I definitely also got a Big City vibe from the second half, but Suicide was the one that I felt more strongly on first listen.
ro
Known user

Post by ro »

wow.
the mainline song is just what i needed to hear today
and for years to come
perfection
charles w
Known user

Post by charles w »

mkb wrote: Sun Mar 06, 2022 3:51 pm
charles w wrote: Sun Mar 06, 2022 1:03 pm People seem to be referring to the new album in a way that suggests they have it. Is this correct? I have two of the vinyl versions on pre-order but don't expect to get them for a while.
The album hasn't been released (delayed until late April), but some people have downloaded leaks.
The modern world confuses me. I'm not really blaming anyone but I prefer to take time to absorb an album rather than be unfamiliar with it at a live gig. Not going to be possible this time then :(

I remember seeing them at Sheffield Leadmill around the time of the release of Amazing Grace and not enjoying it at all.
OldAntelopes
New user

Post by OldAntelopes »

I'm up for going to the city tonight. (just in case anyone wants to join me).
Last edited by OldAntelopes on Wed Mar 09, 2022 1:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
SpacemanRob2
New user

Post by SpacemanRob2 »

I hear a lot of Ode to Street Hassle - which can only be a good thing.

Best song so far!
Feedback Forever
Known user

Post by Feedback Forever »

I hear a lot of Beach Boys as well. Particularly the honking sax or whatever it is. Great tune!
sharmadelica
Known user

Post by sharmadelica »

I’m always excited about new Spiritualized material, obviously. But oh my goodness, “The Mainline Song” has turned that excitement up to 11. A brilliant development of one of the Kenzo pieces that Jason did (that I hope get a physical release one day).

I particularly love the way he sings “the city toni-i-i-i-i-ight”. It reminds me of one of those many tiny moments of Spiritualized music that just give me goosebumps, which is from “The Prize” when he sings “and I don’t know-ooh-oh-ooh-oh-ooh-oh…”
angel-sighs
Known user

Post by angel-sighs »

Well now i have a dilemma. I am avoiding listening to a leak. But by my own rules, i"d be okay listening to this song as its been properly released.
However, if i do that, i will heard almost half the album.
Gonna wait! Don't want it to almost be an anticlimax when i finally get it in my hands
nghst
Known user

Post by nghst »

The positive reviews have started to accumulate at Metacritic. https://www.metacritic.com/music/everyt ... ritualized
clewsr
Known user

Post by clewsr »

very long and detailed article / interview in the Sun. I won't link to it, cause its the Sun. But its worth a look.
clewsr
Known user

Post by clewsr »

aha. Same article, different platform, so you don't have to feel dirty while reading it https://technotrenz.com/entertainment/j ... 18361.html
Sim
Known user

Post by Sim »

J Astronaut is a new one!

Post by sunray »

Sim wrote: Fri Mar 11, 2022 2:59 pm J Astronaut is a new one!
Interviewer knows his real name is Jason Trautmann.
heisenberg
Known user

Post by heisenberg »

Sim wrote: Fri Mar 11, 2022 2:59 pm J Astronaut is a new one!
"Poppy, who is feаtured on the new аlbum, works for the NHS аnd is on the front lines of the Covid bаttle."

The article doesn't explain who Poppy is until much later than this sentence appears.

Sack the editor!
Ian
Known user

Post by Ian »

I very much hope that Jason was misquoted when he says "chem trails", or that it was at least a slip of the tounge.
sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

Ian wrote: Fri Mar 11, 2022 4:49 pm I very much hope that Jason was misquoted when he says "chem trails", or that it was at least a slip of the tounge.
I'm sure he just meant plane exhaust fumes. What is the actual word anyway? I'm sure there is one but i can't think of it.

Quite like the idea of him being into chemtrails though, just to wind people up.
Ian
Known user

Post by Ian »

sunray wrote: Fri Mar 11, 2022 5:35 pm
Ian wrote: Fri Mar 11, 2022 4:49 pm I very much hope that Jason was misquoted when he says "chem trails", or that it was at least a slip of the tounge.
I'm sure he just meant plane exhaust fumes. What is the actual word anyway? I'm sure there is one but i can't think of it.

Quite like the idea of him being into chemtrails though, just to wind people up.
Contrails, as in condensation trails.
toomilk
Known user

Post by toomilk »

New Interview [Edit: Just realized it's the same one posted above]: https://www.the-sun.com/entertainment/4 ... iberating/

About "Everything Was Beautiful" + "And Nothing Hurt":
Pierce says his original idea was a “grand gesture” containing all the tracks but he was advised against a double album by his American label chief, Matthew Johnson of Fat Possum.
“When I met up with my band again after nearly three years and played with them, I was literally in tears,” he says.
I'm sure I'll be the same next month!

“We recorded a song for a radio station recently, creating this amazing sound which is uniquely ours. I found that deeply moving. I truly realised that you don’t miss things until they’re gone.”
Does anyone know what's he's talking about?
angel-sighs
Known user

Post by angel-sighs »

Also very curious to know what this recording for a radio station is all about?
Also mad respect for Poppy for working in the NHS rather than going for an arty media job like many children of rock stars.
heisenberg
Known user

Post by heisenberg »

angel-sighs wrote: Sat Mar 12, 2022 5:23 pm Also very curious to know what this recording for a radio station is all about?
Also mad respect for Poppy for working in the NHS rather than going for an arty media job like many children of rock stars.
Hoping they've prerecorded a live session that will be released when the album comes out. I saw the keyboard player Greg Coulson post videos on instagram indicating that the band were being filmed one day a few weeks ago in what looked to be the house they rehearse in (the place J referred to on BBC 6 a few weeks back?). Would be cool to get a session from them, they haven't done anything like that for a while. Would love a From the Basement-style performance.

I saw his daughter Poppy on BBC breakfast news last year because she had featured on a documentary about young NHS workers. She looks so like J and her mother. But yeah, absolute respect to her. From the people I know working in health care the last few years have been tough. One friend of mine managed a nursing home throughout 2020. Some of the stories were very tough to hear.

Have to wonder if the fascination with all things medical is a Spaceman family trait :lol: Remember how lovingly J looked at all the antique medical equipment in the making of Soul on Fire video? "We're gonna be here for a while." :lol:
Starfish
Known user

Post by Starfish »

Something got a bit lost in translation over at Popmatters.com :D

popmatters EWB.jpeg
popmatters EWB.jpeg (41.46 KiB) Viewed 265765 times
angel-sighs
Known user

Post by angel-sighs »

Obviously this is total speculation but maybe Poppy also decided to go into healthcare after Jasons serious health issues and how amazing the NHS were.

Anyways, getting closer to the release date, but still seems so far away! I've still resisted listening to the Mainline Song despite all the raves here
BzaInSpace
Site Admin

Post by BzaInSpace »

heisenberg wrote: Sat Mar 12, 2022 7:23 pm….From the people I know working in health care the last few years have been tough. One friend of mine managed a nursing home throughout 2020. Some of the stories were very tough to hear.
I can assure you, the brief spell of Thursday 8pm clapping (remember that?) mandated by a government that despises and actively wants to get rid of the NHS made it all worthwhile… the bastards

Yep! The Lockdown Song is something else isn’t it…

Angel-sighs - you won’t be disappointed (what happened with the new hyphenated name BTW? I missed that…)
O P 8
angel-sighs
Known user

Post by angel-sighs »

BzaInSpace wrote: Tue Mar 15, 2022 10:08 pm Angel-sighs - you won’t be disappointed (what happened with the new hyphenated name BTW? I missed that…)
Managed to lock my old account and it was less hassle just to create a new one!
angel-sighs
Known user

Post by angel-sighs »

Couple more bits of press i spotted (not directly connected to the new album, but still..). An interview with Jason about his guitar playing in the new Total Guitar (Johnny Marr on the cover).
And the new Uncut has an article on the making of I Think I'm In Love. One of those articles made up of quotes from the people involved. Get to hear from John Coxon which is good
BzaInSpace
Site Admin

Post by BzaInSpace »

Good to hear that … Uncut magazine has finally realised that this band are as good as say… Elvis Costello or Ryan Adams. Or the Beatles.

More interesting is the stuff on Jason’s guitar sound in that other mag!
O P 8
Spacekadet
Known user

Post by Spacekadet »

Love Mainline Song/Lockdown Song. I can hear a little of Hands Around My Throat by Death in Vegas in there. Also reminds me of that early Spielberg film, Duel, at the start. The truck! Love the track. So cathartic and energising. Roll on Roundhouse. Love the payoff at the end about calling once and calling again - almost like an answer to A Perfect Miracle.
heisenberg
Known user

Post by heisenberg »

BzaInSpace wrote: Thu Mar 17, 2022 5:47 pm Good to hear that … Uncut magazine has finally realised that this band are as good as say… Elvis Costello or Ryan Adams. Or the Beatles.

I really hope they've provided a full tab for the outro of Electricity :lol:
Billy_Whizz
Known user

Post by Billy_Whizz »

Spacekadet wrote: Thu Mar 17, 2022 7:55 pm Love Mainline Song/Lockdown Song (...) Love the payoff at the end about calling once and calling again - almost like an answer to A Perfect Miracle.
I had a strange thought about this the other day.

A few people have compared The Mainline Song to Big City, especially the second half of it. I'm not totally convinced myself but I guess it's more like Big City than probably any other Spiritualized song. I think someone actually speculated that it could be a little nod/tribute to Sonic Boom. It seems a slightly strange lyric in the context of the song which got me thinking who he could be talking about calling if it's (perhaps) not related to the other people/characters in the song, who seem to be present and involved already.

Could it be a subtle message to Sonic saying that he wants to get their friendship back ("I only wanted to be your friend")? And could "I wanted to know if you wanted to go to the city again" be a hint that he wants to collaborate again, with "the city" being a reference to Big City (which I'm aware there wasn't really much collaboration on) or Spacemen 3 in general?

Probably not... just another drunken thought...
Billy_Whizz
Known user

Post by Billy_Whizz »

On another note, I think "The clock on the wall says it's quarter to six, TV set's on but you're sick of the pricks"
could be my new favourite lyric.
angel-sighs
Known user

Post by angel-sighs »

BzaInSpace wrote: Thu Mar 17, 2022 5:47 pm Good to hear that … Uncut magazine has finally realised that this band are as good as say… Elvis Costello or Ryan Adams. Or the Beatles.

Haha its true that the rotation of the same cover stars gets a bit wearing. But thats what sells mags. They do cover pretty good stuff elsewhere.

The Total Guitar mag interview is pretty good, but Jason has never been one to talk about technical aspects of guitar playing. He's really not that bothered is he! (Guess he leaves all that stuff to Doggen and the others). Interesting to know what pedals he uses though.
Billy_Whizz
Known user

Post by Billy_Whizz »

When I used to buy it it was a Dylan, Pink Floyd, Neil Young cycle... but keeping up to date by mentioning Jack White somewhere on the cover every month.
Billy_Whizz
Known user

Post by Billy_Whizz »

Oh jeez... has he really just copied a bit from the theme music to The Big Breakfast on The Mainline Song?? :lol:

Well, have a listen, slow it down slightly... and there it is :lol:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tIIKU7fs-Y0
mkb
Known user

Post by mkb »

The Big Breakfast tune was taken from Then He Kissed Me anyway, which is what J is referencing with that part.

https://youtu.be/DfM6dl_yt10
Billy_Whizz
Known user

Post by Billy_Whizz »

Hmm... not sure about that one. But J has obviously referenced Then He Kissed Me before. I'm not sure The Mainline Song was a reference to The Crystals... and I'm even more sure he wasn't deliberately copying the Big Breakfast theme! Although the similarities are very clear!
Feedback Forever
Known user

angel-sighs wrote: Sun Mar 20, 2022 11:21 am

Haha its true that the rotation of the same cover stars gets a bit wearing. But thats what sells mags. They do cover pretty good stuff elsewhere.

The Total Guitar mag interview is pretty good, but Jason has never been one to talk about technical aspects of guitar playing. He's really not that bothered is he! (Guess he leaves all that stuff to Doggen and the others). Interesting to know what pedals he uses though.
What pedals does he use these days, then? Assuming that was covered.
angel-sighs
Known user

Post by angel-sighs »

Feedback Forever wrote: Sun Mar 20, 2022 8:17 pm What pedals does he use these days, then? Assuming that was covered.
Its touched on, but not a complete list:
"Not a lot has changed in my guitar sound over the years. I've got two distortions, ones a tube. I've got the Colorsound Wah. I've got a Vox Invader that's got all the trems, distortons and tone bender built into it, so if I want something a little bit more extreme I've got that to hand."

I am sure like others here, I have checked out Jason's pedal board at gigs and been surprised at how minimal it is. If there's a few things built into the Vox that explains a lot. That must be what he uses on TMTTOS!

He also said he loves Fender Thinlines and he's got a pink one that's his favourite as it 'chimes like a piano'
Feedback Forever
Known user

Cheers! I've never seen him with a Vox Invader live - interesting. The Invader has the same onboard effects as the Starstream which both Jason and Sonic have used in the past. Pretty sure Jason's live trem sound is from a pedal.