"Everything was beautiful" - New Spiritualized® Album 2022

For new sounds, old sounds and favourite sound discussion...

Moderators: sunny, BzaInSpace, runcible, spzretent

Ian
Known user

"Everything was beautiful" - New Spiritualized® Album 2022

Post by Ian »

The main site has gone all-white with no content, in a similar way to what happened just before the news of each of the reissues. More significantly, Jason has posted to his Instagram for the first time in over two years. Could be some news pretty soon.
I have a passion sweet Lord...
http://www.spacemen3.co.uk
BzaInSpace
Site Admin

Re: New album news imminent?

Post by BzaInSpace »

That’s an album cover isn’t it… or is it?

Here, spotted on the SHF Music Corner today when looking at their reviews of ‘Let It Come Down’:

“Just had an email about a show in Brighton on April 30th…tour coming“

I do know their planning on touring with a new album so fingers crossed this is true.
O P 8
BzaInSpace
Site Admin

Post by BzaInSpace »

There will be a Scottish gig BTW… just sayin’ 🔥
O P 8
sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

BzaInSpace wrote: Fri Oct 29, 2021 6:11 pm That’s an album cover isn’t it… or is it?
New album and tour brought to you by the good people at Pampers. Or Bodyform. J shakes his mane then...Whooooah Bodyform, Bodyform for yooooooooooooouuuuuuuuu.
Nineteen...Nineteen...Six Five
heisenberg
Known user

Post by heisenberg »

If I recall And Nothing Hurt was announced mid-June and was released mid-September. So if a new album was announced next week does that mean we could have it early February? :D Though I am guessing if the tour date suggests live stuff around April then likely the album will be out about then. But on the other hand, they might tour the US with it first like they did last time and then hit Europe/UK in March-April. Exciting stuff!
Laz69
Known user

Post by Laz69 »

BzaInSpace wrote: Fri Oct 29, 2021 6:39 pm There will be a Scottish gig BTW… just sayin’ 🔥
Superb!
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

Exciting! Trying to work out what that image is.. A box of some kind thats been folded out?

Seems like they really were ready to go as soon as the reissue campaign was done.

This would be the shortest gap between albums since Amazing Grace, right?
sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

Still hoping it will be called 'Never Mind The Ballads'.

This is the third album i've suggested this for and will continue to do so until J at least acknowledges it :lol:

It'll probably be 'Ladies & Gentlemen We Are Floating In Jase'. Packaged in a pill box with a vial of Jason's blood.
TheWarmth
Known user

Post by TheWarmth »

Awesome. Can't wait to hear this. Curious about the art.
ro
Known user

Post by ro »

i’ve been “carton” around a few packaging puns just for this occasion!

actually that’s the only good one i could think of.

glad for this new album news.
moop
Known user

Post by moop »

heisenberg wrote: Fri Oct 29, 2021 10:38 pm we could have it early February?
yeah, that's what i was guessing too.. can't wait!! 8)
ro wrote: Sat Oct 30, 2021 5:56 pm i’ve been “carton” around a few packaging puns just for this occasion!
i wonder if the album is a box set?

seriously though, so excited! definitely gonna make sure to catch at least one of the tour dates once they're announced. am hoping they play EOTR festival again as that was sublime a couple of years ago.
Multi
Known user

Post by Multi »

please no “play the new album from start to finish” tour… again!
Shinesalight
Known user

Post by Shinesalight »

BzaInSpace wrote: Fri Oct 29, 2021 6:11 pm That’s an album cover isn’t it… or is it?

Here, spotted on the SHF Music Corner today when looking at their reviews of ‘Let It Come Down’:

I do know their planning on touring with a new album so fingers crossed this is true.
Man, I hope that gossip about the Brighton gig is true. I was in the process of booking a weekend with Mrs Shines in London to coincide with Ride’s 30th anniversary of ‘Nowhere’ gig but may hold back now.
www.dronerockrecords.com
The Home of Drone
BzaInSpace
Site Admin

Post by BzaInSpace »

Multi wrote: Sat Oct 30, 2021 11:11 pm please no “play the new album from start to finish” tour… again!
What? That kinda gig rules. It’s exciting when any artist plays their new music live
O P 8
BzaInSpace
Site Admin

Post by BzaInSpace »

Shinesalight wrote: Sun Oct 31, 2021 8:39 am

Man, I hope that gossip about the Brighton gig is true. I was in the process of booking a weekend with Mrs Shines in London to coincide with Ride’s 30th anniversary of ‘Nowhere’ gig but may hold back now.
I sure hope so too. No offence, but Ride?
O P 8
Multi
Known user

Post by Multi »

BzaInSpace wrote: Sun Oct 31, 2021 7:43 pm
Multi wrote: Sat Oct 30, 2021 11:11 pm please no “play the new album from start to finish” tour… again!
What? That kinda gig rules. It’s exciting when any artist plays their new music live
I have to respectfully disagree. I saw two "And Nothing Hurt" shows and while I def don't dislike the album, I'm not sure it's worthy of being played from start to finish with only a couple of classic tunes played at the end. diversity is a good thing, as is spontaneity, so being able to switch things up with the set keeps things interesting and attention spans focused.
sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

Multi wrote: Mon Nov 01, 2021 1:52 am
BzaInSpace wrote: Sun Oct 31, 2021 7:43 pm
I have to respectfully disagree. I saw two "And Nothing Hurt" shows and while I def don't dislike the album, I'm not sure it's worthy of being played from start to finish with only a couple of classic tunes played at the end. diversity is a good thing, as is spontaneity, so being able to switch things up with the set keeps things interesting and attention spans focused.
I'm with Multi on this one. The one ANH gig i saw bored me but it would've been a lot more palatable if the album was interspersed with older material. SHSL in the Albert Hall was more of an event, and unexpected, and that's why it worked. He didn't play the full album on the subsequent tour.
heisenberg
Known user

Post by heisenberg »

I saw the ANH set and I loved it, I thought the album worked so well live. And I think the band absolutely kicked ass with sticking to the same set too- you can hear how powerful they had gotten by the time they arrived at that Portuguese festival set they did in the summer 2019 (Come Together into Shine a light is stunning-keep this!). So I think it's up to the artist, but for the before and after setlists I'd welcome some older and rarely-played stuff to be revived. My dream would be Let it Flow, Bridge Song, Angel Sigh, These Blues, All of my Tears, Spread your Wings. Or Feelin' Just Fine (one can dream!). But basically some extreme delicate and some extreme noise stuff would be greatly welcome. Excited to see what the new set will be.
mkb
Known user

Post by mkb »

heisenberg
Known user

Post by heisenberg »

mkb wrote: Mon Nov 01, 2021 2:00 pm Everything Was Beautiful™

https://twitter.com/officialSpzd/status ... 6Lshg&s=19
Everything Was Beautiful And Nothing Hurt!
Ian
Known user

Post by Ian »

heisenberg wrote: Mon Nov 01, 2021 2:04 pm

Companion piece?
heisenberg
Known user

Post by heisenberg »

Ian wrote: Mon Nov 01, 2021 2:06 pm
heisenberg wrote: Mon Nov 01, 2021 2:04 pm

Companion piece?
If so, our chances of getting a studio version of A Song have just increased significantly.
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

Exciting! I'd be totally happy with ANH part 2 seeing as I enjoyed the album a lot, especially its production.

I'm fine with playing the new album in full live too. I would say its a good likelihood of happening. Not sure if the entire tour should be that way mind you. For SHSL it wasn't that way for long, and we never really got to see how a whole ANH tour turned out
BessieBoporBach
Known user

Post by BessieBoporBach »

Multi wrote: Mon Nov 01, 2021 1:52 am I have to respectfully disagree. I saw two "And Nothing Hurt" shows and while I def don't dislike the album, I'm not sure it's worthy of being played from start to finish with only a couple of classic tunes played at the end. diversity is a good thing, as is spontaneity, so being able to switch things up with the set keeps things interesting and attention spans focused.
I guess I'm in the minority as I thought And Nothing Hurt was one of the best things Jason has ever done and fully worthy of this kind of treatment, but on the other hand I also like being surprised by a set list and the ANH tour where the entire second hour was in album sequence did lose a bit of that surprise factor.

I actually would have been fine with the band playing everything on the album but, as you suggest, interspersed with other stuff and not necessarily in the original order would have been nice. Especially since I'd been listening to the album almost daily for like 6 months at that point.
sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

angelsighs wrote: Mon Nov 01, 2021 2:15 pm Exciting! I'd be totally happy with ANH part 2 seeing as I enjoyed the album a lot, especially its production.

I'm fine with playing the new album in full live too. I would say its a good likelihood of happening. Not sure if the entire tour should be that way mind you.
I think that's what Multi and myself were trying to say. A one off gig is fine but a whole tour like that is a bit much.
BessieBoporBach wrote: Mon Nov 01, 2021 2:25 pm I guess I'm in the minority as I thought And Nothing Hurt was one of the best things Jason has ever done and fully worthy of this kind of treatment.

I actually would have been fine with the band playing everything on the album but, as you suggest, interspersed with other stuff and not necessarily in the original order would have been nice. Especially since I'd been listening to the album almost daily for like 6 months at that point.
Don't think you're in the minority at all, ANH was well received here and in the general world.
I agree with your point above. I've no problem with every song of a new album being played, i'd just prefer if it was broken up a bit and perhaps the sequence changed.

Companion piece album? Could be Jason's Drum n Bass remixes of ANH.
Venkman
Known user

Post by Venkman »

Just got an email notifying me that And Nothing Hurt was now available on Bandcamp (digital version).

Was that not already available?
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

sunray wrote: Mon Nov 01, 2021 3:27 pm
I think that's what Multi and myself were trying to say. A one off gig is fine but a whole tour like that is a bit much.
yeah that's fair. I'd go a bit further though and say that the first leg of the tour mainly being that is fair play. after that it should shift to being mostly the new album and few more oldies.

I've said it before though- if he stopped doing it now, it would be kind of admitting something like "*that* album was worthy of doing that, but this new one isn't quite as good so it's not worthy".

If I had one request it would be for a very loud version of Heading For The Top to be in the set. and that's before we even get to the real oldies
heisenberg wrote: Mon Nov 01, 2021 2:11 pm If so, our chances of getting a studio version of A Song have just increased significantly.
This would please me no end. To get a good studio version of that with all the guitars swirling round and similar production to, say, On The Sunshine.
ANH had such great production I don't even mind that there's songs I don't care for (e.g. Here It Comes). Weirdly SHSL was almost the opposite- a lot of songs I loved there were hamstrung by the flat sound.

how would people feel about a new version of Always Forgetting With You?
heisenberg
Known user

Post by heisenberg »

I'd love to hear any other take on Always Forgetting With You. Didn't he say he hoped to return to it remix it again at some point?

I'm sure there is recording footage of 'A song' on J's Instagram page. Just sounds like a shitload of glorious feedback going on. I was really hoping it would appear last time round so fingers crossed.
TheWarmth
Known user

Post by TheWarmth »

I can't imagine him topping the existing version of "Always Forgetting." It really is a bit of a shame that it didn't appear on an album. It's an incredible song.
dselevan2
Known user

Everything was beautiful?

Post by dselevan2 »

Here we go…
https://genius.com/amp/Spiritualized-al ... you-lyrics

Track listing down at the bottom.
Attachments
4A24FA75-5C55-4E64-9858-2575635E7FD0.png
4A24FA75-5C55-4E64-9858-2575635E7FD0.png (428.74 KiB) Viewed 530346 times
7371F629-1CB9-4CB2-BB0F-1063758C770C.jpeg
7371F629-1CB9-4CB2-BB0F-1063758C770C.jpeg (77.69 KiB) Viewed 530346 times
mkb
Known user

Re: Everything was beautiful?

Post by mkb »

Pill box again then?
dselevan2
Known user

Post by dselevan2 »

mkb wrote: Tue Nov 02, 2021 1:00 am Pill box again then?
Most likely pill box colored vinyl and straight black for the real heads
dselevan2
Known user

Post by dselevan2 »

I found some random stuff online, not sure if it’s been posted here, kind of excited to hear the “new”stuff
Attachments
816C4350-3C21-4C14-8970-A2344238F311.jpeg
816C4350-3C21-4C14-8970-A2344238F311.jpeg (77.69 KiB) Viewed 530215 times
615BD6DA-4682-4F8C-8A69-9B79A27B1B52.png
615BD6DA-4682-4F8C-8A69-9B79A27B1B52.png (442.44 KiB) Viewed 530215 times
mkb
Known user

Post by mkb »

The February expiry date would indicate a February release then
dselevan2
Known user

Post by dselevan2 »

mkb wrote: Tue Nov 02, 2021 1:13 am The February expiry date would indicate a February release then
Good catch !
Zarirrka
New user

Post by Zarirrka »

rapideye
Known user

Post by rapideye »

6 Music just announced a brand new Soz track to be played. That caught my attention.
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

Great find. Only 7 songs but it is still 44 mins long.
The little overlapping circular design also appears on the ladies and gentlemen sleeve
Seems all the new songs they've played live are now on ANH or this?
ABOCA
Known user

Post by ABOCA »

https://youtu.be/_gF8ENkbVU8

Definitely a bit different to the original, which I’ve just seen came out seven and a half years ago!
Starfish
Known user

Post by Starfish »

Always Together With You is already on Spotify.
And it's a new mix.
And it picks up nicely where And Nothing Hurt finished
eelnekwah
Known user

Post by eelnekwah »

Now playing on Radio 6 " Always Together With You "
New album is coming out on Bella Union
sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

It's like a combination of Spiritualized styles. Nice. Can't wait to hear 'A Song', which was by far my favourite of the 'new' tunes aired years ago.

Thread merge maybe? Or would that just be messy?
Last edited by sunray on Tue Nov 02, 2021 8:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
mkb
Known user

Post by mkb »

Little surprised at just how much he's going back to Ladies and Gentlemen with this, with the album title being read out at the start by a female voice, the transmission beeps, pill box etc.
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

wow, okay. this new version of Always Forgetting With You.. there's a lot going on there. I really like the intro and how it continues directly on from the last album pretty much (will there be a double set at some point??) lots of little details in there. But the chorus goes very beach boys and pretty poppy sounding. the noisy bit in the middle (always reminded me of Let It Flow)- was it me or was that longer on the previous version?
anyway I'm happy that this great song hasn't been lost to a random compilation.
mkb wrote: Tue Nov 02, 2021 8:58 am Little surprised at just how much he's going back to Ladies and Gentlemen with this, with the album title being read out at the start by a female voice, the transmission beeps, pill box etc.
me too. there's two ways you could interpret that- laziness, or a nice way to tie the catalogue together and give little references to say that this all belongs to the same body of work.
heisenberg
Known user

Post by heisenberg »

Very exciting! The different take of this song puts me in the mind of the past where songs like Feel so Sad or Good Times were rearranged or newly mixed etc. Exciting to hear the blast of feedback and a bit of studio chaos going on too- beauty with fire in the belly are two things Spiritualized has always combined perfectly.

I wonder if the voice is his daughter's? Having her back for an album as an adult on a new version of an older track kind of ties in with the album title and the artwork referencing the passing of time.

I wonder if this was recorded at the same time as And Nothing Hurt? And like others have said, perhaps it's a companion piece to ANH. Without being a misery guts, if you consider the phrase 'Everything was Beautiful' comes before 'And Nothing Hurt', maybe there is a slim chance ANH might still be considered the final album?

Has anyone scanned the QR code featured on the box of the artwork?

I wonder if the site will go back up today.

Welcome back, Jason!
BzaInSpace
Site Admin

Re: "Everything was beautiful" - New Spiritualized® Album 2022

Post by BzaInSpace »

sunray wrote: Tue Nov 02, 2021 8:57 am
Thread merge maybe? Or would that just be messy?
Done - hopefully not to messy, but everything in the same thread is probably better.

Very excited to hear a rework of The Bridge Song - will have to wait until after work for a "proper" listen though!
O P 8
Jasonsmith
Known user

Post by Jasonsmith »

rapideye
Known user

Post by rapideye »

I'm pretty happy with this on 1st listen. Looking forward to the release now. A gig to go to will be cool too. Looking for a euro trip, Covid willing, to have a weekend with the Missus. The Dam would be perfect, Jason, and you'd love it too.
sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

Jasonsmith wrote: Tue Nov 02, 2021 10:35 am 25 Feb release and Paris concert on 10 March according to this :D
https://www.soundofviolence.net/actu/ne ... lized.html

https://billetterie.gaite-lyrique.net/s ... 96331.html
According to the above link, tickets for the Paris gig go on sale at 10am Friday. I guess we should expect full tour dates when the site becomes active again.
Sim
Known user

Post by Sim »

Morse code at the start is a nice link with ANH also, anyone worked out if it says 'Everything was beautiful' yet?

Post by Spiby »

Why, after 30+ years of doing this, do I still get SO EXCITED when news of a new album / tour appears? I'm glad I do though!
Pat Garrett
Known user

Post by Pat Garrett »

Spiby wrote: Tue Nov 02, 2021 1:21 pm Why, after 30+ years of doing this, do I still get SO EXCITED when news of a new album / tour appears? I'm glad I do though!
Absolutely!
James T
Known user

Post by James T »

All pre-orders on the site now. Love this new mix of always together, superb!

Not sure I'll go for the box set this time, seems a bit steep. I understand the costs involved make it difficult for them to go any cheaper with it though, so no judgement here.
TheWarmth
Known user

Post by TheWarmth »

God damn. This new version of Always is fucking fantastic.
Spiby
Known user

Post by Spiby »

Official video now on YouTube
beaker73
Known user

Post by beaker73 »

James T wrote: Tue Nov 02, 2021 1:50 pm All pre-orders on the site now. Love this new mix of always together, superb!

Not sure I'll go for the box set this time, seems a bit steep. I understand the costs involved make it difficult for them to go any cheaper with it though, so no judgement here.
Not so much the box set, but the f#$%in' shipping: 71 pounds to ship this thing from the UK to the Netherlands!!?!!! Eejits. I mean, come on... :shock:
"I've been drinking all night long, but my hands are steady"
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

tour dates are up too... (very extensive with a lot of theatre/hall type venues!)
as is a News item giving lots more info about the album.

the vinyl boxset is steep, but at least its pretty unique with all the pop out boxes and stuff. only 1000 of them..
usual merch items too..

having the album in different languages (german, japanese etc) is a nice spin on 'exclusive colours' I have to say!
Starfish
Known user

Post by Starfish »

Despite the angst with the Reissue Program (still awaiting LAGWAFIS), the completist in me has succumbed to a(nother) eye-watering order the wrong side of Christmas.
Thankfully, I don't go much on the t-shirts, so I'll leave them this time.

(I'm not that much of a completist that I've gone for all the different international versions, mind you.)

I doubt the live dates will be cheap either, so I'm hoping they delay announcing those til after Christmas!

*EDIT, 20 seconds later.... ah, shit
clewsr
Known user

Post by clewsr »

the box set seems too much for some extra bits of cardboard. I think I'll satisfy myself with the black vinyl this time.

Not sure if I prefer the new version of Always Together With You - there's a lot going on there, perhaps too much.
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

But that video!
To put those disturbing images of what has been done to this planet and turning us against each other.
Good for Jason for having the balls to go for it.
I'm in on the box set and coffee mug.
Glad to part w/my $$ for Jason. He deserves it. No extortionate s&h in US store.
http://www.lilmoxie.com
Detroit, Music, Sports and Other Stuff(including Spiritualized, Spacemen 3)
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

yeah I like the video too, a far better video and much better single than I'm Your Man, in my book.

interesting to look at the credits for the video. Juliette Larthe (Jason's ex partner) is involved again, and all the footage was found by Jason himself

think I'm gonna have to go for badges and mug.
thesevensteves
Known user

Post by thesevensteves »

spzretent wrote: Tue Nov 02, 2021 2:36 pm Glad to part w/my $$ for Jason. He deserves it. No extortionate s&h in US store.
Same...box set for me. Hoping some east coast dates are announced soon.

This all makes me so genuinely happy...long live rock'n'roll
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

Powerful stuff, and when set against the video - the last 2+ minutes in particular - it's even more so.
Ian
Known user

Post by Ian »

Striking video. Would this not be the best time to suggest that if we want to help to reduce our inpact on the environment, phasing out vinyl might be a contribution?
slide_song
Known user

Post by slide_song »

Spiby wrote: Tue Nov 02, 2021 1:21 pm Why, after 30+ years of doing this, do I still get SO EXCITED when news of a new album / tour appears? I'm glad I do though!
i completely understand!
Venkman
Known user

Post by Venkman »

Sim wrote: Tue Nov 02, 2021 1:03 pm Morse code at the start is a nice link with ANH also, anyone worked out if it says 'Everything was beautiful' yet?
The first four letters are E V E R so presumably yes.

The QR codes takes you to
https://www.spiritualized.com/pages/beautiful

Which just gives a 404 at present.